Menu

CC - homeschooling and church question

Would it bother you to be the only homeschool family in your church?

Would it make a difference if the church were largely teachers and members of your local school board?

This is where my family is, and I just feel like something is missing.

We really like the teachings of the church, the pastor and the congregation. Nobody has questioned or commented on our choice to homeschool.

What I feel we are missing is families who have made the choice we have made, who understand how we choose to live and go through the same struggles and joys.

Can anyone else relate? Am I just wanting too much??:confused:

Our church is unusual. Almost all of the families homeschool. the ones who have their kids in private or public school feww outnumbered. However, other than knowing we all homeschool, we never ever do anything together outside of church. I still feel alone at times. Some of the others are in business together in a MLM thing, but that is it. I come here for the fellowship you are describing.

Yes, Because I would figure that the leaders of the church probably aren't educated about well... the goals of Christian Education and how World View is so important. Also, I would assume that they believe that public school is meeting the goals of education... at large. It depends on WHY you homeschool, partially. For me, the reasons are intertwined and can't be taken apart... To be knowing God... and study about His world, you have to acknowledge that it is His world... and if you know that it's His world... you want to be more educated.... Academics are not a "neutral ground"....

:) (Oh, and our Pastor... a former Missionary... never talks about academics... except to pray before the start of the year for the kids and teachers...and it bugs me to no end..... I really wonder if he has NO thoughts on Worldview and how they are taught in Public school...)

We are the only hs family in our church. We also have several local teachers, who have been nothing but encouraging about our choices. I'm fine with it. Hsers tend to get really cliquie. What I have seen often happen is one church becomes the "homeschool church," where everyone flocks to to be surrounded by other hsers. I don't think that's a great thing. I get my hs support from my hs friends. My kids have plenty of friends who both hs and ps. This is kind of how I am wired. We have a very diverse group of friends, which include people who don't hs and people who aren't Christians. I don't like living in bubbles and I work hard to keep myself from being sucked into them. I also work pretty hard at popping other people's bubbles, lol.

I have been the only homeschooling family in a small church. Now I am one of 3 homeschooling families in a large church (400+ attend on Sundays).

I have never been criticized for our choice to homeschool, even though some may privately not agree (I don't expect everyone to agree). There are a few who have been great about supporting homeschooling, and that has meant a lot.

Our church currently has one other home schooling family, but their children are younger. We have several public educators and a couple of school board officials as well, including our school district's superintendent. I mostly had a sense that no one really understood why we were home schooling. I don't think ds got negative comments from his peers...at least he said he did not when I asked him. But, there was definitely a sense of being "different." On top of that only one other family has their children in private school. I didn't really get negative comments either, but I had a sense of not fitting in because of it. Ds has just started at a charter school. The private school family now sends their older boys there as well. So, as least ds goes to school with somebody he goes to church with. However, I still think we stand out as "different." But, you know what? I kind of like it. I adore the other family that sends their olders to this charter school. They are great parents who have really instilled a great work ethic and character qualities in their children. I hope I am doing half as well with mine.

I just feel like the church follows the world instead of the world following the church, kwim? And while I like the reasons why we are different, it is still sometimes a challenge.

Sorry...I am kind of rambling.

We are one of only 2 homeschooling families and their only child is now in college. A lot of the local teachers attend our church. It is really a non-issue for us. Homeschooling is right for our family and I'm not there to convert others nor to justify our decision. I am there to worship and learn about the Lord. Period.

I am not really following you here. Should the pastor speak out against public school?

There is a study that shows that over 80% of Christian parents send their children to public schools. I imagine many do not have a choice and others have their own reasons.

What exactly do you want him to do?

Dawn

Yes, Because I would figure that the leaders of the church probably aren't educated about well... the goals of Christian Education and how World View is so important. Also, I would assume that they believe that public school is meeting the goals of education... at large. It depends on WHY you homeschool, partially. For me, the reasons are intertwined and can't be taken apart... To be knowing God... and study about His world, you have to acknowledge that it is His world... and if you know that it's His world... you want to be more educated.... Academics are not a "neutral ground"....

:) (Oh, and our Pastor... a former Missionary... never talks about academics... except to pray before the start of the year for the kids and teachers...and it bugs me to no end..... I really wonder if he has NO thoughts on Worldview and how they are taught in Public school...)

I go to Church to receive the Body and Blood of Christ and the other sacraments. How I feel about things is secondary, or maybe even lower on the list than that!;)

If being the only homeschooler is what is really troubling you, I would think you should stick it out. Maybe it is your mission to be an example to others there and gently encourage them to reconsider their children's education options.:)

I like the idea that there are christian teachers in the public school world. Our church has teachers from elementary level to university administrators. Yes folk these people are really Christians. ;) And once we were the only homeschool family. The kids have to be creative to get together with ps friends because their schedules differ but other than that it works for us. Teachers have never given us a hard time. The fathers of most of dcs homeschooled friends are also teachers and college professors.

We attend a medium size church and a small adult Bible study class. I am the only female in the class that is not a public school teacher! LOL! There are a couple of other hs-ing families on our church, but they have kids older than mine. Most of the students in our church attend PS. I am fine with that, although I grew up in the church we attend and have always been very involved. I feel we are supported in our walk by our church community, even if that looks a little different in the area of education that most of the others in our church.

There is some blessing to that. I've been in a church with many homeschoolers. That's a lot of "together time" for a group of women. ;)

As your dc get older, you find yourself seeking out people who are like you in parenting and worldview, regardless of school choice. Finding other people who value intelligence and virtue has become more important, and hanging out with only homeschoolers has become less.

As long as no one starts giving you a hard time about it, I'd say you'll be fine.

No, it wouldn't bother me. Our church used to be comprised of many homeschool families. They have mostly left in the past two years. The folks who remain are not ones with whom I am interested in buddying up with. Most of the kids attend public school. I am sad that my kids have lost their friends who are homeschooled (and wonder what they might be exposed to in the future because the kids who attend tend to be from pretty rough big city public schools), but they (and I) get our needs in the area of commonality met in a weekly co op we attend.

I am not really following you here. Should the pastor speak out against public school?

There is a study that shows that over 80% of Christian parents send their children to public schools. I imagine many do not have a choice and others have their own reasons.

What exactly do you want him to do?

Dawn

Well, if you have your children in Public School, and you are the leader of the church.. I would expect that you would show how you are combating the secular world view that your children are exposed to each day... (or indoctrinated in) I know that we have a school with wonderful teachers... both Christian and not... but I would expect that you would have sermons, sunday schools and other informative times of teaching what it means to have a "Christian Worldview". Of course, this is determined by what your church adheres to... I'm not saying that all Christian churches agree on what a Christian worldview is..

Schools are always with a slant... to or away from God... they can't be neutral.

;) (Well, this is what I believe :))

Would it make a difference if the church were largely teachers and members of your local school board?

We really like the teachings of the church, the pastor and the congregation. Nobody has questioned or commented on our choice to homeschool.

What I feel we are missing is families who have made the choice we have made, who understand how we choose to live and go through the same struggles and joys.

I "understand" where you are coming from. However, we are members of a large church and while there are many, many h'schooling families, not everyone there homeschools.

You know, I think it's normal or usual to want to worship along other h's families as sharing a common bond and having that like-mindedness (although reasons to h's vary).

Are you being called to be a "light" to the other members? To be honest, I would feel a little uncomfortable, but God may require that of us in some circumstances.

I don't believe I would care for such a crowd. However, if they are nice and supportive and you're where you believe God wants you, then:

1. Think about opening your home to lead a Bible Study or be the open house and someone else can lead...homeschooling Moms/families.

2. Attend another h's Mom/family Bible St

3. Make a few calls to some other churches to get plugged with other homeschooling families.

OK, I digressed. But, you may be able to have your desires stated above by doing something above or something else someone else has said.

Have you talked to your dh about your feelings, etc? Talk and pray and wait for an answer.

So, question.....why do you still attend that church?

I am asking for a couple of selfish reasons, not to argue at all.....we are struggling with some worldliness at our church, particularly in the youth group age. We have not attended that church for over 2 months now because of it.

If you still go, why? Will you stay?

We are trying to pinpoint exactly what it is we are looking for in a church, but the youth group and how they respond to "the world" is a huge problem in MANY churches from OUR perspective. The youth pastors work too hard to be "cool" and the cliques are allowed to continue as well as the scantily clad girls, the boys with their crude talk, etc....it is just like public school with a "Christian" name slapped on it.

Dawn

Well, if you have your children in Public School, and you are the leader of the church.. I would expect that you would show how you are combating the secular world view that your children are exposed to each day... (or indoctrinated in) I know that we have a school with wonderful teachers... both Christian and not... but I would expect that you would have sermons, sunday schools and other informative times of teaching what it means to have a "Christian Worldview". Of course, this is determined by what your church adheres to... I'm not saying that all Christian churches agree on what a Christian worldview is..

Schools are always with a slant... to or away from God... they can't be neutral.

;) (Well, this is what I believe :))

Edited by DawnM

It would depend upon the attitude I received from others. If they were accepting of our decision it wouldn't bother me. Much as it wouldn't bother me if there were not people who held my dh's profession.

At one of our churches there were at least 10 homeschooling families, including pastors families. That was all good and well for a few years, but then some moved, some sent their kids back to school, and it wasn't the same. We moved and no one we used to hang out with on a regular basis is still homeschooling.

So, question.....why do you still attend that church?

I am asking for a couple of selfish reasons, not to argue at all.....we are struggling with some worldliness at our church, particularly in the youth group age. We have not attended that church for over 2 months now because of it.

If you still go, why? Will you stay?

We are trying to pinpoint exactly what it is we are looking for in a church, but the youth group and how they respond to "the world" is a huge problem in MANY churches from OUR perspective. The youth pastors work too hard to be "cool" and the cliques are allowed to continue as well as the scantily clad girls, the boys with their crud talk, etc....it is just like public school with a "Christian" name slapped on it.

Dawn

We have the same issues with the youth group at our church. My oldest dd doesn't attend our church (she goes with her dad, my ex husband) so it isn't an issue yet, but dh and I have discussed it being an issue in the future. We are concerned. As our oldest child who attends our church is in the 4th grade, it is not yet an issue, but it is one we will be watching closely. We have attended this church for 12 years, but we are mindful that if the youth group is not what our kids need, they will either stay with us during the service or we will need to find another. We are very torn.

[size=3Would it bother you to be the only homeschool family in your church?

We are one of 2 families who homeschool at our church. I'd say there are fewer than 75 families there. There are 3 public school teachers and 1 private school teacher (3 other families). Most kids are in public school. When my kids were in private school, they were the only ones in private.

No one has said anything negative to me or dh or the kids about homeschooling. But I think one of the teachers said something negative to other homeschooling mom.

It would be nice to have another family who shares our values, but if I had a choice, I'd rather have that family in our cul-de-sac for day to day stuff than at my church for "church" stuff. We do belong to a homeschool co-op and several of our friends homeschool so I don't feel like I am missing out.

I missed how old your kids are. That would make a difference. Also, how involved are you at church? We mostly go just Sundays but we are very involved with our church - children's team, youth team, sound team, acolytes. It's not that we don't go other days of the week, there's not much going on other days of the week.

So it really depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks, Hive.

Some have suggested joining a hs group/co-op - We are members of 2 of them and do a lot with them.

For me, it is separating our church life with our every day homeschooling life. We have friends and family whose children are in private and public schools. We do not live in a 'bubble' of only homeschoolers. But with that said, church and the church family is a large part of our life. Having some of them understand our daily life and choices would be great.

This is something my dh and I have discussed and prayed over for months. He is looking at the teachings and spiritual growth. He understands my feelings and is open for visiting some other churches, but we also know that there is not a 'perfect' church. Just because there are other homeschoolers there it will not be perfect.

Maybe I am just making too much out of this? Maybe we are the first family and other hs families will come in the future?

Thanks for helping me work through this hive. I do appreciate it!

Our church currently has one other home schooling family, but their children are younger. We have several public educators and a couple of school board officials as well, including our school district's superintendent. I mostly had a sense that no one really understood why we were home schooling. I don't think ds got negative comments from his peers...at least he said he did not when I asked him. But, there was definitely a sense of being "different."
My 10yo daughter also struggles with feeling different, though she is also very good friends with several girls at church. But those same girls all feel different at school, where there are very few other LDS kids. Every kid struggles with feeling different; there's always something. So I try not to worry about it too much.

I think I just posted about this but I attend a church we are the only home school family and the pastor is Assistant Superintendent of the School System.

I feel like a "ambassador" of sort regarding homeschooling. When i started this church the only encounter that most had with home schoolers where the "isolationist" or "weird" this was their words.

They are really impressed with my boys and ask me all kinds of questions.

But most say they want home school because well they PS is good enough for the pastor its good enough for them.

I don't say anything because as a Christan I believe each parent is accountable to God and he will lead them to homeschooling.. Its not my job to convince them

There are several retired PS teachers in my Church that are so excited I am homeschooling but to be honest with the pastor so in the school system the church will never be an advocate for homeschooling.

yeah, it would probably bother me. One reason I love my church is that we have a really mixed group that all support each other. Our pastor has both homeschooled his kids, had different ones in private school at times, and even in public school. Nobody looks down on anyone's choices. I appreciate that.

Guest momk2000

We were the only homeschooling family in the church we previously attended. There were quite a few members that were also ps teachers. Nobody ever said anything and we were never criticized for hsing until dd went through some personal issues last year. We spoke with a select few about her problems (Pastor, SS teacher). We learned that confidentiality was not exactly priority in the case of the SS teacher, and we started getting pressure to put her in ps. What most people don't know is that we do not hs for religious reasons, but d/t our dd's personal problems. We started hsing her in K, and it has been a perfect fit for her (not that it's really any of their business anyway). For a short time (until I came back to my senses) I actually started to feel guilty for hsing my dd. Her therapist assured us that her issues have nothing to do with hsing and actually encourages us to continue what we are doing. We have since started attending a new church (same denomination), which is not necessarily a hsing church, but there are one or two other hsing families there. We find the church itself to be a much better fit for our family as a whole and consider it a blessing that we were inspired to move on. :)

My churches when I homeschooled were the church home to very few homeschoolers, if any. I belonged to a mainline, liberal-ish denomination. In my last church of that denomination, there were many employees of the public school system.

It didn't bother me; but I had little need for like minded spiritual support in terms of homeschool combined with my religion. I also homeschooled in 2 states that were homeschool friendly. This is especially true here in Texas. I therefore had a lot of "support" and like mindedness elsewhere.

No, it is not too much to ask, but I know exactly how you feel. When my four daughters were teenagers we were in a church just like you describe. We had a number of public school teachers AND the principal of the local high school (they were high school age!). We were the only homeschool family the entire time. It was uncomfortable and difficult. My girls have since married and all moved away. We still attend the same church and EVERYONE is now homeschooling.

Susie in SWVA

to my knowledge, we're the only homeschoolers at my church (if there are more, they're hiding). my pastor's wife is an ex-public school teacher. there are several public school teachers that attend our church. it's never been an issue for me whatsoever. then again, we've been there for almost 5 years & some people have no idea that we even homeschool. i guess it just doesn't come up, and when they do find out - it's sort of like, "oh, i didn't know that!".

in my small group, i had a couple of the women say how they would hate homeschooling, but it was a genuine comment & i appreciated their honestly much more than, "oh well i could never do that ...you must be a saint....blah blah". i simply said, "well, homeschooling isn't for everyone". end of discussion. *if* people are talking about me (which i can't imagine), it's done very quietly, as i've never caught wind of it. no issues at all. we love our church. they love us too.

I've been the lone homeschooler in my church most of the time. There was one other family who homeschooled there for about 3 years, but that's all.

I don't really mind, but I missed the Christian cameraderie more than I realized. The homeschooling groups that we loosely worked with were secular. Two years ago I visited a Christian mom's homeschooling group for the first time, and they started by praying for the children and parents in these families. It was such a relief to me that I actually cried (boy did I feel silly!). I had been wishing for something like that for so long.

I found homeschooling pretty engrossing. I can talk about curricula for hours. Even among the other homeschoolers that I know, that's not all that common. So my affinity group around curriculum has always been mostly online (except for a homeschooling librarian of a former library where I used to do a fair amount of volunteer work.) I think that because I have been classical, Christian, Lutheran, nature-focussed, and rigorous it is hard to find anyone that matches ANYWHERE in real life. I don't mind that it didn't happen at church--I had to piece it together elsewhere anyway.

It would bother me a little, especially since I view our homeschooling as being very connected to our family's spiritual life... it would be hard for me to not have that in common with anyone else in my church family. If we were only homeschooling for academic or social reasons, it probably wouldn't bother me as much.

I love being part of a church where we have many homeschoolers. I would say that probably 70% of the most involved families at our church (meaning those who participate in most of the church's activities, serve actively in various ministries, etc.) homeschool. There are also quite a few families whose kids go to public school, but those families don't tend to participate quite as actively.

It is very nice to have other families who are going through similar circumstances in our church family, who can relate to the trials and joys of our daily lives. It wouldn't be a must if I were seeking a new church, and I would be reluctant to leave a church where otherwise we were happy just to have more homeschoolers, but now that I've experienced it, it would be very hard to give up.

but it doesn't bother me at all. One or two have hassled me in fact. I am pretty secure in my choice. I find my support in a homeschool group-not at church.

It would bother me a little, especially since I view our homeschooling as being very connected to our family's spiritual life...

it would be hard for me to not have that in common with anyone else in my church family.

but now that I've experienced it, it would be very hard to give up.

:iagree:

What I did not mention before, and what may be playing in a part in my struggle, is that before we moved we were in a church where the pastor and his family home schooled, as did about half of our church. We were very involved with the church and it was a family.

Now I don't have that and as wonderful as the church we are attending may be, it is not the same.

:iagree:

What I did not mention before, and what may be playing in a part in my struggle, is that before we moved we were in a church where the pastor and his family home schooled, as did about half of our church. We were very involved with the church and it was a family.

Now I don't have that and as wonderful as the church we are attending may be, it is not the same.

Yes, we were, for over 10 years, and while people were decent to us, we never felt truly part of the 'family.' We relocated to the area from out of state, and we were the only HSers in the congregation (about 300). We never, ever 'evangelized' for the homeschool lifestyle there. We just did our thing. One of the elders was a Board of Ed member, the pastor is a big PS advocate, and many of the people were skeptical of us...our 3 older children were born while we were members there, and it was always a little weird. Like, they knew our kids from birth...why are they treated like outsiders still?...It bothered me because people were always complimentary of our kids, their manners, their Bible knowledge, etc., but we were never "embraced" (you're not from around here...). And yes, the youth group was way too worldly for me...I taught the high school bible class on Wed. night for several years, and got to see this first hand...so our kids were not frequent participants, because of that.

I've since concluded that it's more a product of the personality of this region, NOT of the Church, by the way.

As we finall could see that this local congregation's goals and direction were not in harmony with ours (I'm leaving out some doctrinal issues, on purpose), we prayerfully considered and finally acted on moving on...amicably I might add.

We moved on to another church that was attractive to us and had several of our homeschooler friends as members, and it's been a good move for us. The teaching and preaching is solidly biblical, and it seems a better fit for us...we don't feel like the 'oddballs.'

So, I guess I'm sympathetic to your feelings...but you'll need to figure out if it's a big enough deal to seek out another local body or not. :)

We were one of few families in our previous church who homeschooled. It would have been nice to have support in that area, but we survived without it. However, what made it difficult was that there was a school at the church, and homeschooling was viewed as a "second best" option and only to be chosen if there was no church school available. It was hard to be viewed as a family who was going against the leadership in that regard.

I attend a small church (150 people) where we were the only homeschooling family for a few years. Now there are two others. We also have several public school teachers. There was no problem. Everybody, loved and respected us. I didn't feel the need to have things different. Like if you were the only Lawyer in your whole church, you wouldn't have anyone to "relate" to with respect to your chosen profesion, but so? We relate and interact based on our common faith. We show interest in each other's lives regardless of what those lives are like on a daily basis. I do enjoy conversations with other homeschool moms and it would be nice to have some at my church, sort of like an "icing on the cake" thing. But my comraderie with other homeschooling parents comes from our involvement in the co-op so I get that there and didn't feel like I needed it at church. I have NEVER felt judged in a negative way from other Christians about homeschooling.

We go to a church large enough to have two services and its own k-8 school. There is only one other family that homeschools, and they are sort of "half members" (the husband and wife are different demons, and the family splits between two churches.

I don't mind too much because I enjoy talking to people about their school experiences. No one is rude to is or acts like we're weird to homeschool.

It sometimes bothers me only because there are not really church activities during the day/week, either for homeschooled kids, MOPS, at-home parents, etc.

There are only a few homeschooling families in our church. There are also a couple of public school teachers and a school board member. I am good friends with all of them. There are many kids that go to public school and some that go to Christian private schools. If there are those that disagree with our education choices, then they don't speak to me about it. Although, I've been asked questions about the particulars of what we do.

Our church is our family. Churches should be united by the Gospel, not by education choices, whether they be homeschools, private or public schools.

We go to a church large enough to have two services and its own k-8 school. There is only one other family that homeschools, and they are sort of "half members" (the husband and wife are different demons, and the family splits between two churches.

I don't mind too much because I enjoy talking to people about their school experiences. No one is rude to is or acts like we're weird to homeschool.

It sometimes bothers me only because there are not really church activities during the day/week, either for homeschooled kids, MOPS, at-home parents, etc.

I take it you meant 'denom' instead of 'demon'! I had to do a double take on that one!

It wouldn't bother me. Especially if no one has questioned/commented on your decision. We go to a very large church. We aren't the only family who homeschools, but I only know of a very few members who do. There are far more educators/administrators/school board members who attend.

I don't think it's wrong to want fellowship with others who understand homeschooling. I would love to have fellowship with more homeschooling families IRL (thank God for you people here). Because of that desire, I've gone to the church and asked about starting a support group. Hopefully something will run in our next bulletin asking for other homeschoolers to contact me. I might not hear from anyone, but I sure hope I do!

[

QUOTE]Would it bother you to be the only homeschool family in your church?

Can anyone else relate?

Yes, I can relate. Yes, it bothers me. Yes, I have a small church full of teachers and their families. I can go further. I have been called out by members questioning (one member in particular) my reasons. I have even been challenged by the pastor as to the fact that Christians should be out being a light to the world, and how can we do that if we are separating ourselves? He doesn't believe in Christian schools either obviously. His mother was a P.S. teacher. He constantly challenges our comfort level to get out there and be the hands of Christ. I like that about him and our church, and this is just part of his beliefs about that, IMO.

Anyway, yes this used to really bug me 4 yrs ago when we joined. But I felt called to this particular church anyway.

Fast forward 4 yrs. The pastor personally called me to co-chair the education committee this year :) He and his wife both stood up for me against a camp counselor who said something rude about homeschooled children.

I believe we have been a good representative of hsers to the members of our congregation who didn't know we were "regular people." We get our hs fellowship as members of several different Christian homeschool organizations.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

It wouldn't bother me one bit.

Then again, I am a retired schoolteacher and my hubs is an irdained minister/missionary. LOL ;) Has anyone said anything? Why not attend a HS Support Group meeting? We do and love it!

I believe we have been a good representative of hsers to the members of our congregation who didn't know we were "regular people." We get our hs fellowship as members of several different Christian homeschool organizations.

I think this is an important advantage to being in a church with few homeschoolers. :001_smile:

Yep, we are the only homeschoolers in our church in a small town in Texas. The superintendant attends our church as well as several vice-principals, tons of coaches, junior high teachers and TONS of elementary school teachers ( who are the backbone of the Sunday School teachers and VBS teachers). I remember when I pulled my children out of ps when middle one was finishing 1st and oldest was finishing 3rd. My oldest would have been in a prominant member's class at the ps and she and I always wondered what she thought. It wasn't anything against her. People have been supportive. Many of the members have either siblings or children that are homeschooling.. a lot of them have children that homeschool. I am extremely involved in the church and I LOVE our pastor and music minister...ok, all of the staff. I've gotten help from a few of the teachers on certain issues. BUT... unlike some in this thread I do not view public school as the ultimate evil. I think it is a valid educational choice. There are pros and cons to homeschooling and pros and cons to public school. I think it is whatever God calls you personally to do. So I do not look down at them and think, "poor people, if they only saw the light!!!"

Yes, I do feel alone at times. There is a church here in town that is known as the homeschool church. The pastor homeschools as well as most of the members ( in fact we have 2 couples in my SS class that fled from that church after a couple of years because they didn't homeschool and didn't feel comfortable..) When I pulled the boys' out, everyone kept asking me to please stay and I wasn't going to leave to go to the homeschool church was I??

I belong to homeschool group in the neighboring town, but don't do much with them socially because it would take too much time to get together. What has saved it for me if finding one like-minded friend. She homeschools but feels the same way that I do that it is just one choice. We do things together and our kids are similar ages and we swap and help each other out and listen to each other when we need to vent about certain issues.

I've always said that I don't fit anywhere, really. I don't believe ps is evil, I like vaccinations, I don't wear dresses, etc. so I don't fit with a lot of the homeschool crowd around here.

On the other hand, there are problems in the ps. I hear people gripe and think.. yep, that's why I homeschool. I'm looked at as pretty sheltering... My kids don't do children's church and my teens don't have a cell phone. They don't have unfettered access to the internet. They like spending time at home.

So I'm glad I have my friend who is the same way I am!!

Christine

Christine

We until last year were members of a large church that had its own Christian school. Our best friends were the Headmaster and the Curriculum specialist at the school. We sometimes felt disapproval from the church staff, but were very secure in our decision to homeschool. Our friends never tried to convince us to enroll our kids.