Menu

Who's your favorite fictional female character?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.... That's tough! There are so many. I love Elizabeth Bennet because she is witty and able to learn from her mistakes. I love Scarlett O'Hara because she is flawed. She is incredibly strong, brave, practical, and loyal while she is also vain and selfish. The movie really doesn't do her justice. ;) I live Anne Shirley because she is passionate and quirky. I love Marmee because she is the patient, wise mother I'd like to be.

I could go on for awhile, I think. ;)

Hmm.... That's tough! There are so many. I love Elizabeth Bennet because she is witty and able to learn from her mistakes. I love Scarlett O'Hara because she is flawed. She is incredibly strong, brave, practical, and loyal while she is also vain and selfish. The movie really doesn't do her justice. ;) I live Anne Shirley because she is passionate and quirky. I love Marmee because she is the patient, wise mother I'd like to be.

I could go on for awhile, I think. ;)

Please do! :bigear:

Scarlett O'Hara and Anne Shirley rank high on my list, too. :001_smile:

Kit Tyler from Witch of Blackbird Pond. She'd rather be on a beach, she has no use for household tasks. Prefers the company of people that don't fit the mold of "normal" and ends up with the man who will take her around the world. *Sigh* I so wanted to be her with I grew up.

My favorite is Jo March. I loved the story and her character growing up and felt inspired to not conform. I love her independence. I packed up my car at 19 and moved cross country, met dh and here I am.:D

Edited by Horton

Amelia Peabody Emerson: She has a firm grip on her family at all times :D and she has a sense

of humor and courage which she needs with that husband of hers.

And I also like Elinor Dashwood. She has a good head on her shoulders and is gracious.

Edited by Liz CA

Me, the idealized version. I'm so smart and witty and full of life and organized and put together and talented and . . . fictional.

:lol: I can relate to that.

My favourites are Tamora Pierce's heroines, Daine and Kel in particular. They're tough :)

I like James Clavell's Azadeh too. There's a girl who perfected the art of being tough while looking pretty and malleable.

Elizabeth Bennett and Pippi Longstocking, for all the previously documented reasons ;) I also like Eleanor Dashwood. She's a Capricorn, I just know it.

:)

Rosie

I haven't read the latest books in the series yet, but I'm partial to Egwene al'Vere from the Wheel of Time books. I like Nynaeve too. Actually I like a lot of the women... they're very real. It's so nice to have an epic story where the women are depicted with such strength.

I love that series. I like Moraine Damodred and Nynaeve (though she gets to love sick for me later on). I'm going to start reading the series again this fall in anticipation of the last book coming out!

My favorite character is Polgara from the Belgariad series -I'm sure nobody could ever have guessed that LOL.

Ronia the robber's daughter--she's brave, strong, fierce, loving, courageous, and interesting.

I also loved Kit Tyler from Blackbird Pond, for above reasons. :)

I like Harriet Vane, but since she ends up with Lord Peter...well, it's just not fair that she gets him and I don't:tongue_smilie::D.

I tend to relate more to the characters with a rich internal dialog going on, who work out life's difficulties in their own way:

Jo from Little Women

The girl on the island in Island of the Blue Dolphins

Claudia from The Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

The girl that married Sherlock Holmes in Laurie King's books (why can't I think of her name)

I've got to add: Babbette from Babbette's Feast

Edited by Onceuponatime

So many good one to choose.

I like Anne Shirley because she is so impulsive and then later repentant, which is how I am sometimes.

I love Viviane, high priestess of Avalon, in The Mists of Avalon because she is one bad-@zz earth mother!

I also like Hermione Granger, because I wish I were as smart and talented as she is!

Anne Shirley. I love how dramatic she is...often ridiculously so!

Jo March from Little Women.

Jane Eyre. She's simultaneously innocent and complicated.

When I was a girl, I wanted to BE Meg Murry from the Wrinkle in Time and additional books, but I also loved her Mom. I really wanted to be a scientist because of her, but I don't think I have a fully-functioning left-side of my brain! :lol:

Number One: Elizabeth Bennett. Of course.

I also love strong girls who whump bad guys:

Thursday Next from Jasper Fforde's series.

In TV land, I love Olivia Dunham and Sydney Bristow.

Cordelia Vorkosigan

She is in a series of books by Lois McMaster Bujold. Cordelia is smart, determined and very very true to her family.

I was just coming to claim Cordelia! Can we share?

I love that she just doesn't see barriers that other people see. I love the way she just quietly ignores hierarchies that don't make sense to her and reworks the world on her own terms. I love the way she parents. And I love how very Betan she is. :D

Some already mentioned:

Hermione Granger

Thursday Next

Pippi Longstocking

Also, lately, I've really enjoyed:

Lisbeth Salander (great, great character, from the Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo series for those who don't recognize the name)

Flavia de Luce (from Alan Bradley's mysteries such as The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie)

I'd have to think hard for my absolute favorite, but the character that immediately popped into my mind was Amelie Poulaine, from the movie Amelie.

I like her quirkiness, her good heart and intentions. She also reminds me to pay attention to the people in my life that would otherwise be easy to overlook -- the unknown regulars in my life whose names I don't know but whose faces I do.

* I am also fond of Ramona Quimby. I was nothing like her as a kid, but she sure as heck reminds me of my daughter. I liked reading about other posters who related to this character, and I can't wait to see how my own little Ramona Quimby grows up :)

I haven't read the latest books in the series yet, but I'm partial to Egwene al'Vere from the Wheel of Time books. I like Nynaeve too. Actually I like a lot of the women... they're very real. It's so nice to have an epic story where the women are depicted with such strength.

I like Egwene a lot too! I'm waiting for the last book with such anticipation :D

Oh, wow. So, so many to choose from! I know I'm forgetting someone major, but... here are the ones that pop into my head immediately.

Definitely Anne Shirley, Scarlett O'Hara, Jo March (and Marmee - the whole "how I keep my patience" speech has stayed with me always!).

I love most of Jane Austen's heroines for different reasons. My favorite at this moment is Emma. She, to me, seems to be the character who learns the most - aobut herself, and other people - and truly grows to learn what it is to be "a lady." I admire that character arc. The other Austen heroines already seem inherently "good" - they don't have to change as much as Emma does.

Professor McGonnagal rocks. Love her no-nonsense approach to... pretty much everything. On the other side - Mrs. Weasley. ♥ And Luna Lovegood. ♥

Katniss Everdeen. I love reading her.

Kaylee from Firefly.

Bridget Jones. Sooooo funny.