Menu

So, has anyone actually started "planning" next year?

mama25angels

I'm technically planned out for the next year and a half-ish, though we may finish some things a little early and need to move on to something I don't have planned out. I also don't have science for next year in my hands yet (ES Biology), but everything else is in HST+, ready to go. :D

I had several weeks to organize things while my son was still in school. I went a bit overboard probably. :lol: But hey, this first week has been amazingly smooth!

I have. I planned out all 36 weeks of history and science for next year, because I need to buy the supplemental books with our tax return (our library stinks). This way, I have enough time to look for used copies and only buy new those books that don't have much of a price differential or aren't on the used market yet.

I plan the rest of the subjects weekly, so we'll just move into the next level as we get there (I may change math up a bit though).

Yes... I kinda have to. Too much going on this spring/summer to put it off.

I planned out the major book work for DS science, but still need to select the video lectures, schedule the labs, quizzes and tests. I also have mapped out MCT grammar and Practice. I still have to add the 4 papers, and killagallon writing into the mix (that is next).

I will probably do literature next (and wrap up English/Lit completely). Then, math sometime in March... with history being the final thing I really have to plan (at least for oldest DS).

For my younger three, I haven't started planning anything out yet, but then, I don't have all of the curriculum yet, either. I plan on really working out their schedule in July -- after I have everything, and the youngers are on more of educational game/video status until August.

I'm ruminating, which is my precursor to planning, which is my precursor to actually buying anything. It's a tried and true process that still results in hitting mid-year and moaning, "Why, oh why, did I choose *this* stuff?!" ;)

My biggest challenge for next year is what do for KINDERGARTEN! I can handle high school, middle school and elementary school, but kindergarten is stressing me out. I love, love, love teaching kindergarten, and I'm sad that this will be my last little K'er. But I have no idea what to do with him. :lol: Poor kid.

I think so. I was going back and forth between a couple of different curriculum choices, but I am going to go with what I already have for History and reading.

I don't know about math.

Dawn

PS: I will add that part of my decision to use what we already have is that I really hope to purchase a new desktop Apple computer in August during free tax weekend and get the education discount plus the free ipod! My oldest is getting really into art and creating and makes his own movies....he uses my Apple laptop, but I want him to have a computer that isn't mine! ;-)

Edited by DawnM

I'm planning :D. I have a bin that I will put anything in for next year. Some history books and such I have, so as I find them around the house, I'm adding them to the bin.

Things like math, grammar, writing etc. I may wait to purchase in the spring or summer.

I'm not planning out lessons though and I don't think I'm going to file next year. I'll stick to my-week by-week/month-by-month. Filing all our subjects for the year isn't working for me (too many crates).

Edited by Homeschooling6

Planned, now buying and almost done! :D

I always plan and buy this early. I really want to go to the big HS conventions in Greenville, S.C. and preview stuff, but I can't wait till March to buy curriculum. A lot if it has to do with using money given to my dc for Christmas to buy curriculum. If I don't do it now, I will end up spending it on stuff the dc do not need.

I know what curriculum I plan to use for next year, but haven't started buying yet. I have been thinking a lot about what our schedule will look like next year. It will be a big adjustment for all of us as ds will most likely not be taking a nap next year, so we will have to figure out how to work with him playing/noisy/etc.

I am terribly distressed as I read all the posts. The next year is our first official year. This year I did Saxon 1 and Pathway readers with my daughter and kept at that. So, today I was just thinking that I need to start getting my head around what to use for the coming year. I guess I am well behind. Going to read some other threads to gather ideas and then research to finally execute a plan. Thanks for kicking my behind.

I am terribly distressed as I read all the posts. The next year is our first official year. This year I did Saxon 1 and Pathway readers with my daughter and kept at that. So, today I was just thinking that I need to start getting my head around what to use for the coming year. I guess I am well behind. Going to read some other threads to gather ideas and then research to finally execute a plan. Thanks for kicking my behind.

Don't stress! We're halfway through our second full year and I'm not at all ready for next year. I know I'll still be working through our science curriculum, BFSU, but I have no idea which of the four options I'm kicking around I'll choose once we finish BFSU. I'm not decided on history. I have one math curriculum and plan on buying one more, but I'm not sure which one I'll use or if I'll use parts of both. I have no idea if I'll stick with what we're using for history...etc. lol So you're not behind. You have a while!!!

Yes, I've got all curriculum chosen and purchased with the exception of math as I'm still trying to decide between Horizons/MM/Singapore to use in conjunction with Miquon Orange.

I'm starting to actually lesson plan our first unit of ToG, which we will use at half pace for first grade. I figure it is easier if I get most of it mapped out and planned now, do some self-educating so I am personally prepared to teach the material and find used books that I choose to use with the curriculum for good prices while I've got plenty of time.

Yes! School planning is the best part of January! I just finished up my history plans for next year.... I'm doing a blend of SOTW & TOG 1 next year with two of my children. I made a binder for my oldest with all of his vocab words, maps, SOTW coloring sheets, etc. so he is good to go. I'm going to just to assign the SOTW AG student pages for my other student.

As for the rest, I'm waiting to be able to order the books!

:thumbup: you guys are awesome! I haven't even finished planning this year, guess I need to get on that :blushing:

This!!

hahaha!

But, in a way, I did plan out next year. We are just doing the next thing. Back to SOTW 1 for my little guys, Ancients for my 7th grader...

CLE reading, math and la...for the next level

Next Apologia book for science

Try to start Latin....again.

Looking for some music classes (piano lessons?) for my little guys.

Grab some extra reading.....etc.

So, hmmmm....yes, i guess I have planned a bit. I feel better now.

Faithe

Yes, because I need to buy with our tax return.

I am deciding which resources to use and which I can get at the library or need to purchase. I will do all the actual scheduling over the summer.

Yes, this is me too. Need to buy everything as soon as we get the tax return so the $$$ doesn't get spent on anything else.

Sure have!

I am mostly just buying the next year of whatever we are happy with and looking for great options for things we are starting.

Never done Latin so we are trying Prima Latina.

Math is Teaching Textbooks 4.

Answers in Genesis for science and history.

Art is Feed My Sheep.

Devotions by Pearables.

Really feeling like I am happy with most of our curriculum for the first time in 2 years since we started.

in theory i have everything i need except spanish readers and whatever is required for chinese class . . . . but chances are i could be tempted to buy more before then. i also am waiting to see how far she makes it in skill areas before i lock myself in to what we have on the shelves.

as far as planning out weeks, i don't think i will. it probably has something to do with being 6, but dd has leaps and lulls and i am prone to grossly miscalculating in either direction the time it will take her to master something. i do better if i just plan what subjects and materials and for how long each week and then record what was covered after it is done.

Planning wound up being a total waste, by and large, for this year, so I doubt I'm going to do too much of it for next year. It's going to be a while before we can get the curricula we need for next year, anyway. We fortunately don't need a lot; mostly just Lively Latin and maybe a few new geography and some supplemental math resources.

Good grief you people! Incredible!!

I am planning and buying now for the 2011 year, which starts next month. And when I say now, I mean I started the day before yesterday. I'm planning hard at this point!

Usually I'm a little more organised than this, I was still ruminating curriculum today, usually I have that all picked out by October at the latest.

Planning wound up being a total waste, by and large, for this year, so I doubt I'm going to do too much of it for next year.

:iagree:

I am, however, trying to decide on curricula, as we'll be purchasing with tax refund money pretty soon here. I am in a major funk right now, though, and nothing looks appealing. :glare:

I've started peeking a little at the TOG book lists for next year - trying to decide what level my 2nd grader will do, or if I'll have her do some lower and some upper grammar work. I've been looking into math for my 6th grader, and am trying to remember what elementary science subject is scheduled for next year. I have to check my list.

Yep. During December, I finalize plans for the second half of the year. Once Jan. 1 hits, I start working on the next year. We have a large used curriculum sale in mid-March and convention in late March, so I need to be prepared. I will be finished by April and ready to start writing lesson plans for next year during May-June. We start school the first week of August, after our July vacation.

I don't write out any plans for the next year till I am to it, but I am spending A LOT of time right now making decisions. My personal policy is to wait to buy if I can. Usually I buy now if I find a great deal on something used that I know I will not find at my local used curriculum sale. I usually get my Rod and Staff materials when they have their sale in March. Then I wait till the used curriculum sale in June to get what I can and that week I will place my Rainbow Order.

One year I bought a bunch of stuff ahead of time and by time the new school year began, I knew I didn't want it, but I already blew my budget. I have been quite happy with my decisions since doing it this way.

Because of this thread, I sat down to plan what I think we'll be using next fall. In my mind, I thought we already had most of what we would need. Boy was I wrong! If I stick with my current plan, it's going to be about $700 for everything on the list. This will allow me to buy a little at a time so it's not quite as painful as it could be!

Sort of. I know what I'm using. Some things are planned for dd5th grade and the Littles to follow are using the same thing, so I will reuse lesson plans. Other things, I'll just grab and go, so I do have a lot of daily planning to do, but I prefer to do that every 7-weeks so we don't get off schedule and I have to overcorrect. I do, however, know what I'm using already :)

Congrats on new babies!