Menu

So, has anyone actually started "planning" next year?

mama25angels

I'm planning away, just ordered a necessary book today! We are using Trisms History Makers with Catholic textbook Project textbooks, spreading History Makers over 3 years. Also, using An Overview of Catholic History with it. My son was dx with ADHD and dyslexia, so I've had to revamp all of my plans mid year. We are also adding in Rick Steves dvd's for the whole family.

Kim

Our library allows you to schedule reserves in advance, so I have supplemental reading for the rest of this year scheduled so that the reserve kicks in 2-3 weeks before we're likely to use the book.

Yesterday, I saw a mention of the "You wouldn't want to..." series, which I'd totally forgotten about. Turns out our library system has a ton of them, and I stuck the relevant ones for this year into our schedule.

I was SOOOOOOO tempted to find the TOC of SOTW 3 and go ahead and schedule in those as well, while I was at it, but resisted, as I'm not yet ready to decide exactly when we'll be doing what.

I do have a broad idea of what curriculum we'll be using (I see no reaon to switch from what we're using now), though there are some more things I want to add on (something about US history/government that will be accessible to both a bright kindergartener and a 3rd grader, composer/artist studies) that I haven't figured out the details of yet.

I know most of us have started or will soon start buying our curriculum for next year, but i'm wondering if anyone has actually started the planning process already?

I have through high school planned, so I just tweak things as we go. :D

Heather

Guest aquiverfull

WOW Heather!! You're awesome!!

No Lesson planning here, just trying to figure out what we'll be using. I really want my girls to study history together so that's throwing a monkey wrench in my plans.

I have through high school planned, so I just tweak things as we go. :D

Heather

Hey, me too! Sort of. With Josh, I will use the next grade up for 8th (he's all over the place) but do plan to use MFW for high school. That's been my plan for the past few years anyway. I hope MFW HS works for us. It's nice to already know what 'I' want to use.

Guest aquiverfull
This is the time of the year that I get bored with what we are actually *doing* so I dream about the wonderful exciting things that I will do NEXT year. :-)

Yep this is me too. :)

I have! lol

Well there is a Classical Conversations group opening up this fall. They are doing open houses already and tuition is due by...July? So I need to have that planned out if we're going to do it, and we're pretty sure we are.

So I had to switch my oldest to Saxon math already since the program he'll be in will be using Saxon...8/7? I put him on 7/6 for this year. (Are those right? I'm confused with Saxon's books LOL).

WOW Heather!! You're awesome!!

No Lesson planning here, just trying to figure out what we'll be using. I really want my girls to study history together so that's throwing a monkey wrench in my plans.

Hmmm not sure if it s awesome or OCD, but it works for me. ;)

History/Literature: TOG all the way through- though if needed I will change to Notgrass for one year US history if needed on their senior year, because I have a hard time getting TOG done in a year so I could end up with a student who hasn't done a full history cycle in high school.

Science: WTM recommendation through high school.

Math: Lial or Kinetic books (depending on the child's learning style/needs) supplemented with Singapore to get them really thinking. Though I have a lot of texts (I am a math text junkie) so I can switch on a dime.

Writing: CW with some TOG.

Grammar: Review with AG high school review book.

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Language: Latin all the way through, with Spanish in 11th and 12th grade.

Art: They decide.

Mostly I need to have a vision of where we are going to keep taking the next step today. It adds that pressure of "If I drop this now, then we won't make long term goals." In real life it never ends up quite like I scheduled it, and that is fine. You have to down shift, or take another route now and then.

Heather

Can you talk a little bit about why you wait until 11th and 12th for Spanish? We are planning the same thing for latin, but I have been wondering when to start Spanish.

Thank you!

Guest aquiverfull

Heather,

Yep, it's AWESOME! My husband is so OCD and I wish I had more of those qualities. I'm just one of those people who is very unorganized and it results in a mess in just about everything I touch..lol. Good for you that you have planned so far in advance and stuck with it, adjusting a little as needed. :) I'm sure your homeschool has benefited tremendously from your consistency.

I just realized that DD starts 5th grade next year, and for some reason, that freaked me out, so I started looking ahead. And I've got some general ideas sketched out through 12th. Just some general ideas and a couple of curriculum thoughts. I've also found some texts that I was interested in on PBS, so I ordered them. I only have 70 credits. I can afford a few to review some textbooks.

Hmmm not sure if it s awesome or OCD, but it works for me. ;)

History/Literature: TOG all the way through- though if needed I will change to Notgrass for one year US history if needed on their senior year, because I have a hard time getting TOG done in a year so I could end up with a student who hasn't done a full history cycle in high school.

Science: WTM recommendation through high school.

Math: Lial or Kinetic books (depending on the child's learning style/needs) supplemented with Singapore to get them really thinking. Though I have a lot of texts (I am a math text junkie) so I can switch on a dime.

Writing: CW with some TOG.

Grammar: Review with AG high school review book.

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Art: They decide.

Mostly I need to have a vision of where we are going to keep taking the next step today. It adds that pressure of "If I drop this now, then we won't make long term goals." In real life it never ends up quite like I scheduled it, and that is fine. You have to down shift, or take another route now and then.

Heather

Love it!!!

Heather,

Yep, it's AWESOME! My husband is so OCD and I wish I had more of those qualities. I'm just one of those people who is very unorganized and it results in a mess in just about everything I touch..lol. Good for you that you have planned so far in advance and stuck with it, adjusting a little as needed. :) I'm sure your homeschool has benefited tremendously from your consistency.

LOL! My dh is the one that got the neat trait. I do have an organizational system, but as a typical dyslexic, no one else can figure it out at first. :) Not sure either one of us would actually qualify as being OCD though he does have germ issues (wont use the kitchen towel to dry his hands, uses paper towels) and I do have counting games I love to play. Both of us can ignore them when needed. Like DH did eat the rice my oldest made this week, even after he found one of her hairs in it (and she has hair down to her waist-it was a long hair). :D

I am blessed by how I seem to have been gifted to make this hs thing work, though dh gets a lot of credit for cheering me on and helping me keep a vision, switch gears with things fall apart, change priorities as needed and providing the money to do all of the above. It has ended up being more work than I though, but my own interest in learning keeps me going. Having to work again outside the house sounds so unfulfilling. :thumbup1:

Heather

Can you talk a little bit about why you wait until 11th and 12th for Spanish? We are planning the same thing for latin, but I have been wondering when to start Spanish.

Thank you!

We might end up starting sooner, but I really want to focus on mastering one first.

In mastering one I want to master both the grammar and reading sides. Thus we will do multiple programs, which will just take time to get a solid foundation in. Right now the plan is to do First Form Latin, followed by Ecce Romani and then just continue to alternate levels till both are finished. I will add the Cambridge readers, but not the full program. I figure at some point there might be a need a high school grammar text, but we will cross that bridge then. I am hoping it won't be needed.

I had 2 years of high school Spanish and one semester of college myself, and the one thing I sill have problems with is the accent/pronunciation, which is why I turned to Latin instead. Thus I can't teach them that, they need an outside source or they will only cover Spanish from a academic point of view. I figure by the time my kids are older they can do the bare minimum to get buy and have a jump on college Spanish (not ideal, but fine) or they can seek out their own avenues of practice around town (we have a large Mexican population here) so they can learn proper pronunciation and accent. By then they will be driving and pretty mobile in order to be able to find a practice outlet, or taking a class at the local community college where someone else can teach it. :)

If they aren't going to work on pronunciation I don't want them to go much more than two years. It just becomes too hard to match up what you have learned academically and make use of it.

Heather