Menu

Spin-off: where are your former lot-of-time-in-arms babies?

Mine's off playing. Based on who's rung the doorbell asking to play (and thus not who she's playing with), we've got it down to 1 of 2 houses she's gone over to. The whole winter break she's been out the door around 9 AM and maybe checks in once or twice before being made to come in at 5:30.

My highly demanding baby is almost 19 and is in Orlando, doing parade and Fantasmic crowd control at Disney through New Year's.

My sweet cuddly baby is in that teen stage (15yo) where we parents are only tolerable in small amounts.

My arms remember the feel of them cuddled close, lo those many years ago. But it is so nice to be able to putter around the house without having to "wear" a baby!!

Mine ...

ds17 just returned from picking his dad up from work (we are down a car right now.)

ds14 (high need, sensory avoiding baby) is up in his room reading a book on Lego robotics.

dd10 is playing a game on the computer before she cleans up the kitchen to prepare for making dinner.

Nothing Earth-shattering, but they are not begging me to carry them everywhere;).

The one I was warned would never walk if I didn't put him down is pouting because I won't let him play outside in the rain without a raincoat. I just sent him to read his library book.

the collicky one (who crawled at 4 months and walked at 10 months, requiring no warnings from concerned strangers) is fighting over puzzles with the one yr old.

My very high needs baby is ten years old now. At this very moment she is sitting at the dining table, holding her 3 month old baby brother, lovingly cooing over him and showing him things, while talking to her older brother.

She used to scream like her skin was being peeled off if a stranger attempted touching her in the store. Now she'll talk the ear off that stranger.

At two her own dad was worried to be left with her while I went out, now she runs off to scouts and overnighters without even looking back over her shoulder.

oldest very demanding baby, slept with me till 3 1/2 just to give me a chance to sleep, sleep apnea, getting up every hour etc. He is now 17 is out for a hike

my youngest that I was still picking up and holding until he was 9 (yeah not carrying but he still would run up to me and get picked up and hugged) is currently age 13 1/2 running an air compressor fixing something in the garage

Both learn to walk, run, bike :tongue_smilie:

They were not sissified and all the other garbage that people predicted.

My former clingy one (youngest) is downstairs dancing with a friend and her sister to Just Dance 2 (which I should say is terrific exercise and if I didn't have a broken leg, it would be a way I would be exercising).

Oh and my former totally non clingy one, very independent, is having a very hard time adjusting to going off to college next year.

My first will be 16 in April. The one I carried in a sling until his sister came along, slept next to for ages, who could read before he weaned. The one that I was told would "never wean", "never get out of my bed" and would be "dependent" indefinitely.

Today, he came home from a sleepover with friends he'll see much less frequently now that we are moving 30 miles away. He carried a dresser and a desk down the stairs and into the garage.

He helped me fix the vacuum cleaner so it sucked again. ;) He just told me my spinach soufle looked liked mashed green throw up stuffed into a bowl and microwaved.

:lol:

When I wouldn't take him to WalMart for body wash, he offered to drive. :auto::D

The other two I raised the same way, at least as much as I could with 3 closely spaced children I raised solo parenting.

My dd and I spent the morning together making keys for the new house, and using gift cards we were given for specific stores at the mall. I got nice, professional, practical shoes for my practicum and she got some new clothes. She packed her clothes and emptied the dishwasher.

My baby, now nearly 12!, came home from the same sleepover as his brother (they were visiting brothers I used to watch in my daycare) and has packed all his clothes, finishing his closet.

Edited by Joanne

I carried my ds around all the time. I didn't know slings even existed so he just got held in my arms, or balanced on a hip. Once I was diagnosed with this - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/DS00692 - my doc told me I needed to stop carrying him so much. Ds was 4 at the time and he adjusted to the change just fine.

He is now attending CC full-time and preparing to transfer to a college in CA in a year or so. He sleeps alone, has plenty of friends, and is generally well-adjusted. He'll always give me a hug though, even in front of his friends. :)

DD30 was my 2nd born but my first with colic -- I nursed her till she was past 2 y/o and she was my demanding one. She is married, lives 10 minutes from here, is being treated for chronic lyme disease, is on leave of absence from med school (she has passed her boards and is ready for internships), and she is probably cooking dinner.

DS10 is my 5th, youngest and the only boy. He is downstairs watching Where The Wild Things Are with dd11 and his twin sister.

It all goes by in a :blink:.

My oldest who would never learn to walk took off on his first birthday scampering across the floor. I continuned to carry him until I couldn't anymore. He has one more year left on his degree in International Relations and Japanese from a university in Tokyo.

The other two are currently building with Keva blocks with their cousins in the living room. They all went hiking this morning.