Menu

at what age did your child learn to read?

When did your child start reading?  

1. 1. When did your child start reading?

• 0-12 months
    • 13-24 months
    • Two years
    • Three years
    • Four years
    • Five years
    • Six years
    • Seven years
    • Eight years
    • Other

3?? Like new 3 or older 3? Kids are so amazing.

Independent reading at about a mid-3 for him. Eventually, we discovered he was a high-IQ Aspie, so I chalk most of it up to that. Beyond playing with flash cards and letter sounds when he was 2, I really didn't give any formal instruction. He just ran with it!

The other 3 kids have been much different. ;)

DD10: reading at age 4 (currently has some reading struggles including deocding and spelling -- dyslexic tendencies)

DD8: reading chapter books at age 3 (currently significantly above grade level academicallY)

DS4: knows many of the letters. Knows some of the letter sounds orally. Speech delayed in articulation (ahead in comprehension). Due to dyslexia in the family may be delayed in reading but we'll see.

So far all my dc have been able to blend and sound out simple cvc words at 5, but I don't consider that "reading". I don't consider my dc reading until they can pick up a book like Harry Potter and read the entire book independently.

My 7 yo can read easy readers like Frog and Toad, but needs me beside her to help. She knew all her letters at 3 and could blend sounds at 4, but she still isn't "reading". My oldest dd didn't read independently until 5th grade.

I didn't start instruction with my ds until this year at age 5. So far he is learning quicker that my girls did at that age. He can read any cvc words. I haven't taught him anything else yet, but we are close to starting long vowels and consonant blends.

I don't consider a child an independent reader until they are able to sit with a chapter book, read by herself and tell someone about what they read. My youngest has been sounding out lettersvand cvc words for awhile but he is not a reader yet. Both my olders were independent readers at 5.

So far all my dc have been able to blend and sound out simple cvc words at 5, but I don't consider that "reading". I don't consider my dc reading until they can pick up a book like Harry Potter and read the entire book independently.

I understand that some people believe that sounding out CVC words isn't enough to be considered reading (I don't know what I believe should be called "reading" myself - for this I just went with what the OP said). But Harry Potter is your standard? :001_huh: So my 6 yo who sits and reads Stink or Magic Treehouse by himself isn't reading by your definition because he couldn't tackle a much harder book? I understand making something other than a very simple phonics reader the standard, but to me if a kid can sit and read Frog and Toad or Henry and Mudge independently, that's undoubtedly reading. Much before that I understand could be a debate, but I'm really surprised that such a high level book could be used as the standard.

I don't consider a child an independent reader until they are able to sit with a chapter book, read by herself and tell someone about what they read. My youngest has been sounding out lettersvand cvc words for awhile but he is not a reader yet. Both my olders were independent readers at 5.

Under that definition, my 17yo was 8 and my 12yo was 9. My dd still can't do this at 6 (close, though.) My 8 and 9yo boys may never get there.

I'm not sure how to answer the pole...

My 7yo could blend letter sounds into words at 4yo, but he is still not reading chapter books. (vision problems, possible dyslexia)

My 5yo was blending letter sounds into words at 3yo, and at 5yo she's reading Frog and Toad & Amelia Bedelia.

My 4yo can blend letters into words, but he's not reading sentences yet...I've not pushed it.

I'm not going to vote because my daughter learned at age 5- but I didn't teach her, she learned in public school Kindergarten, and I don't want to skew the results for homeschoolers.

My son just turned 5 last month and he recognizes some letters but he's nowhere near the stage of learning to read. I'm going to (re) start Oak Meadow K with him next September, which will focus on learning the upper case letters of the alphabet, and the following year, when he's nearly 7, we'll be starting Oak Meadow 1, which does the upper AND lower case and then starts doing some blending etc, so I'm GUESSING he's going to learn to read somewhere around age 7. We'll see!

(If he does suddenly show an interest before then, of course, I will work with him on it. Right now he has no interest in doing anything that seems like 'formal school' though and doesn't like directed activities, not even crafts. Maybe things will change as he gets closer to 6. We'll have to playit by ear).

I had the outlier-the kid who was reading before she could walk (reading at 15 months, walking at 18 months). I blame my friend who gave her a Leap Frog Phonics bus for her first birthday. DD was fascinated with books from an early age, but she was even more fascinated with the sounds those little shapes made, and I guess she put the two together. I didn't realize it until she started reading signs and until she started putting together words using sounds-like "McAllister Hall".

If I ever have to teach someone to read, I'm going to let DD do it!

As far as reading Bob Books and CVC words, 4-early 5 among my kids.

I have to look back at old reports I wrote to figure out more details if the defintion is more independent reading. My end-of-year 1st grade report for my twins said one started the year reading Level 2 readers and was confidently reading chapter books by the end of 1st grade. Her twin sister started the year reading Level 1 readers and was reading MTH books by the end of the year, but still doing some buddy-reading with me. I think she really took off with independent reading in 2nd grade.

My youngest was reading Level 2 readers and Dr. Seuss at 5 1/2 - she was the youngest of my kids to get to the CVC words, and the least enthusiastic reader. :confused: At 7 she was still reading early chapter books (A-Z Mysteries and such). Finally at 8 she tackled Harry Potter.

DD1 learned at 4...I taught her and then she went to school...UGH! Big mistake. DD#2, I didn't teach on purpose because they gave dd1 such a hard time for knowing how to read before she got into their clutches...how dare she! So, dd # 2 learned to read at almost 7, when I pulled her heinie out of PS because they put her in the top reading group because she was such a delightful child...yet couldn't figure out C-A-T.

Ds #1 learned at 4 while I was teaching dd #2.

DS # 2 figured out how to read clearly and fluently at 3.5...I am baffled as to how....he just did it. He can spell too...and understood phonics rules...:001_huh:

DD # 3 was almost 7. She refused to read any cvc readers and wouldn't even try until she could really read. I read to her tons and tons of good books...Beatrix Potter, Charlottes Web, Treasure Island, Grimms etc. She started reading and jumped from nothing...to reading Classics (Jungle Book, kidnapped, AO lit selections) on her own. She said she would not waste her time reading baby books....sigh.....She totally frustrated me...but she is 12 now and can read anything. And YES, she is still stubborn!

DS#'s 3 & 4 were both 4.5...

~~Faithe

#1ds and #1dd both learned to read at 3, although it took #1ds till he was 5 to have any real fluency. #1dd was reading fluently by 4. #2ds was about 5 when he started reading and didn't get fluency until he was about 8. He is slightly dyslexic and wasn't real interested. #2dd still hasn't learned to read yet and she is 5.

I have 4 kids, so I am giving a 3.5 to 7 range. When I say 7, I that once it happened, it happened in a whoooooooooooooosh. The one who read early never struggled (was not taught). Nor did the one who was 7, as the dc was ready. If more kids had more time, reading would be easy. I take issue with the WTM stance that all 'normal' children are reading by 6 as long as A, B, C happens. This is puts too muich pressure on little children who are perfectly normal, but not interested or ready. I think they (WTM authors) cause worry where there should not be with the 6 cut-off.

Edited by LibraryLover

DD was 2 when she learned CVC words and began reading BOB books. At 3.5 she was well into thin chapter books like the Magic Tree house series. At a few weeks away from 6yo she can read about anything you throw at her. She loves to read and constantly has her nose in a book.

DS has started CVC words at 3.5. He is turning 4 in Jan and is now reading BOB books.

My 2nd DS is turning 2 this month. He knows about 1/2 of the letter sounds already. I didnt answer the poll for him though, he is not sounding out CVC words yet:).

My younger dd was reading at her age level when she was 9½yo. I began officially working with her when she was 5ish. Before she was reading at her age level, she was still reading, so I could say she was reading at 5yo; she just wasn't reading as well then as she was when she was 9.

Older ds was reading short chapter books before he turned 5. Younger ds was about 3 1/2 when he could read (not just memorize) books with 15-20 words on a page, and read chapter books at 4 1/2. That said, younger has Asperger Syndrome, and I'd rather he'd have read later and had an easier time with social skills.

Oldest DD learned at 3 3/4 and was reading Magic Treehouse type books within 6 months. DS learned at 4 3/4 and he's now at 5 yrs 1 mo. reading Henry & Mudge type books.

I was an early reader too (apparently taught myself at age 3). But DH didn't learn until he was 7 yet still graduated valedictorian of a prep school and went on to an Ivy League graduate degree.

I wouldn't worry about it too much in the primary grades.

At least 6 for the older 3. Oldest could read a few words (cat, hat, sat) at 3 but then stopped there until 6 once dd and later ds2 were born. dd was convinced she could do it herself and took forever to get her to the point that she would learn from me. Ds9 would almost catch up to dd and then slow down until she was ahead again. Ds4, I think, can read some now, but isn't letting on. He is the most uninterested in academics of all the kids but learns a lot just from osmosis.

I understand that some people believe that sounding out CVC words isn't enough to be considered reading (I don't know what I believe should be called "reading" myself - for this I just went with what the OP said). But Harry Potter is your standard? :001_huh: So my 6 yo who sits and reads Stink or Magic Treehouse by himself isn't reading by your definition because he couldn't tackle a much harder book? I understand making something other than a very simple phonics reader the standard, but to me if a kid can sit and read Frog and Toad or Henry and Mudge independently, that's undoubtedly reading. Much before that I understand could be a debate, but I'm really surprised that such a high level book could be used as the standard.

My dd can't read Frog and Toad independently the first time through. She is an emergent reader. I consider a "reader" one who is fluent, independent and does not need any more reading instruction. This is the point when dc go from learning to read to reading to learn. "Reading instruction" shifts to learning how to dissect the meaning and nuances the author is implying in the text. I think there is a big difference between Frog and Toad and Magic Treehouse. I haven't tried a Magic Treehouse with my dd yet. She still needs larger text and white space on a page. I'm talking about the first Harry Potter book, not the entire series. I'm sorry about that. I should have made myself more clear. HP I is a 5th grade level book. It's not really hard, just long for a young dc.