Menu

Strawberry shortcake

When I order it from a restaurant I expect a biscuit. Sweet heavenly goodness!

When I say I am making strawberry shortcake, I'm really just using angel food cake, fresh strawberries with sugar, and homemade whipped cream. It's my "cheater" version. It's okay, but a biscuit is better.

When my MIL makes it ..... wait for it ......

she uses a twinkie and canned strawberry sauce!!! :svengo: :blink: :eek: :ack2: :lol:

When I say I am making strawberry shortcake, I'm really just using angel food cake, fresh strawberries with sugar, and homemade whipped cream. It's my "cheater" version.

This is my preferred version of "strawberry shortcake." Or made with pound cake. I don't care for the true version made with biscuit.

I think if I saw it on a restaurant menu, though, I'd expect the biscuit.

Cinder

Poundcake. With real whipped cream. Yummo!

I never knew people did shortcake with biscuits until a couple of years ago. I've always had it with cake.

-Just wondered what was truly the norm.

If biscuity, a dense, sweet biscuit. Yum, I can taste it now!

FWIW, I don't care for the angelfood cake version, either. My grandaddy called it "wasp nest"!!!

BTW, grandad was a strawberry farmer, so my grandma made a lot of shortcake, biscuit style but sweeter.

For what you're making, I can imagine a crispy biscuit. Sounds delicious!

A sweet biscuit (american meaning of biscuit, which is like a British scone), ideally split open so that the berry juice soaks into the soft middle.

I was once told that biscuits are technically correct because they're short cakes (as in made with shortening: http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/Strawberries/StrawberryShortcake/index.htm ).

I don't much care which is correct - my grandmother made it with biscuits, so that's what wins in my house. Especially when I'm doing the dessert baking.

Okay, Julie, here is my Grandma's recipe. At least as best as my aunt could figure it from following her around the kitchen! I know you are a great cook and probably already have your own favorite recipe, but this is an antique from a strawberry farmer's wife, so you can compare it to yours, just for kicks.

2 1/4 cups cake flour OR 2 cups all purpose flour

4 tsp baking powder

2 Tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup shortening

1 egg, slightly beaten

2/3 cup milk

Combine dry ingredients. Melt shortening, add to milk and egg. Mix all. Pour into greased 8" pan. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until done. Split and put filling between layers and on top. Serve with cream or whipped cream.

I make homemade bisquick solely for strawberry shortcakes, and use this recipe for the biscuits. I cut a large biscuit in half. On top of the bottom of the biscuit, I heap on lots of sweetened, smooshed strawberries, then the top half of the biscuit, then more strawberries, then real whipped cream. It's huge by the time I'm done, and it's heavenly.

One of my favorite desserts.

If I make it, biscuits. Mine are not sweet. They do contain more butter than a dinner biscuit. I like a bit of maple syrup on the strawberries (instead of sugar). Whipped cream is optional, but if served must be real. No Cool Whip allowed.

If I serve cake with strawberries, I usually also serve custard sauce and call it trifle.

Outside my home, I'll eat whatever the host/hostess calls shortcake.

Okay, Julie, here is my Grandma's recipe. At least as best as my aunt could figure it from following her around the kitchen! I know you are a great cook and probably already have your own favorite recipe, but this is an antique from a strawberry farmer's wife, so you can compare it to yours, just for kicks.

2 1/4 cups cake flour OR 2 cups all purpose flour

4 tsp baking powder

2 Tbsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup shortening

1 egg, slightly beaten

2/3 cup milk

Combine dry ingredients. Melt shortening, add to milk and egg. Mix all. Pour into greased 8" pan. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until done. Split and put filling between layers and on top. Serve with cream or whipped cream.

Thank you so much--I am always honored when people pass along family heirloom dessert recipes! I will give it a try. :001_smile:

We use a biscuit for our strawberry shortcake......it is a highlight of the summer. We pick the strawberries. As soon as possible we have our traditional warm homemade biscuit cut in half with butter, then put slightly mashed berries heaped on each side with a generous dollop of real whipped cream.

Oh my, I could really go for one now.