Menu

What would you say is the single most important predictor for a good hs day?

MomOfOneFunOne

Guest Alte Veste Academy

1) Having everything ready to go "out of the chute." Not just a plan, but everything laid out and ready to go.

2) Computer off! Phone off! Answering machine on.

3) Planned meals.

4) Good sleep all around.

5) Quiet time enforced.

6) Tidy home.

and a decent breakfast and being hydrated.

:iagree: I lose it very quickly if I don't drink my water! I realized recently that one glass wasn't enough - it was just the minimum. Upping my water intake has really helped make everyone's morning go more smoothly!

It also helps if the 2 year old is having a smooth morning - this can be determined early by whether he happily eats the breakfast I give him or if he screams and demands cookies instead. It all goes downhill from there:)

In general: enough sleep for everybody, good breakfast, and some organization.

Lately though, it hinges on whether or not DD has decided it is going to be a test mommy day. When she starts the morning with drama and ignoring or disobeying everything I ask her to do, I know it is not going to be a good day:glare:. Please tell me this stage is not a long one! She is about to turn 6!

my kids get up at 7am

I get up at 5am

if I miss my time, I feel rushed...that can cause the day to be very squishy...like I am being smooshed all day from the pressure.

I need that time to

1. drink coffee

2. read and pray alone

3. send off emails for my on-line job and make to do lists for my day

4. check on days subjects for any Ooops, we are gonna need something missing.

When they all come down the hall, in search of breakfast, I am in a chipper mood and prepared to teach.

Most of the important factors in a successful hs day at our house revolve around me.

Enough sleep

Stick to our HST schedule

no computer distractions

no phone interruptions

Keeping kids in separate rooms while working independently

Managing my 4 year old well

My attitude

checking work consistently(both school and chores)

not getting behind on laundry

not getting behind on kitchen duties

* A good breakfast, including at least 1 cup of coffee for mom.

* An early start- if we're not going by 9:30, we're in trouble.

* No appointments before 1pm.

I think an early start has proven to be the most important. A good night's sleep is also on the list, but it's not as much of a factor for our family as one would think.

I can come up with a single most pretty easily: Not letting ds (11) start the day in front of the computer. It's something I'm guilty of--I get up at 6 every morning so that I can drink my coffee and read the news and FB on the computer. I've tried being respectful of ds's urge to do the same thing--if I want a little time like that in the morning, why would I deny it to ds? But what ends up happening is that is that I have to pry him away from it and we start our day at loggerheads. And things seem to go downhill from there.

So now I'm sure to be done and showered before he gets up. Things just seem to go more smoothly if we have a nice breakfast together and get down to work.

I haven't read all the answers - I'm afraid my list would get too long if I see what everyone else does!

Having enough sleep (everyone) and having a clean school room and living room are usually indicators of how smoothly our day will flow. Both are needed to avoid unnecessary distractions around here.

This is not dependent so much on me as on my son. I try to make sure I'm getting an appropriate amount of sleep for myself. If he's not doing the same (either for one night or several in a row), then his behavior can go progressively downhill. He gets very mouthy and combative. The prescription for this is naps in the afternoon after school, for as long as it takes to get him back on track, along with earlier bedtimes that are enforced rigidly. We don't have too much problem with this nowdays....

Going with the flow, and being ok with not getting everything done.

I do have a schedule of what I'd like to get done, but we have the best days when we just pick a place to start and then keep moving along for about 3 hours. If we get done with the whole list before that great, if not oh well it will go on the list for tomorrow.

A big key to the above is also letting myself and my kids sleep until our bodies say it's time to get up. If we're woken up (me by and alarm clock and the kids by me) then it's all downhill for the whole day.

Edited by nukeswife

For me, it's:

• getting up at least 90 minutes prior to waking up the kids (that's around 5:30am for me).
  • drinking at least 2 cups of coffee, relaxing, reading the Bible, praying, and browsing some news/websites before they get up...this is all part of "me time" and it is a MUST!
  • making sure I am organized before we begin each day (all copies made, tying up loose ends, etc). I usually do this the night before, so as not to interrupt said "me time!"
  • starting the school day NLT 8:00am so we are done in time to enjoy late afternoon activities, etc.
  • following my schedule/routine. I don't do "fly by the seat of my pants." It just doesn't work for me.

I find it interesting that almost everyone listed sleep b/c it is the one thing I am not getting and haven't for literally months. Our baby is the sweetest tempered thing, but she does not sleep. It is really impacting me......not so much tempermentally but in my ability to analyze clearly. That doesn't really matter for my younger kids, but it does for high school. I am so glad that I am not teaching high school math this yr b/c I am living in a perpetual brain fog right now.

For everything else:

Getting up really early (5:00 is our best starting time)

Throwing in a load of laundry as soon as I wake up

Starting school with morning prayer

Preplanned meals

and most of all.......definitive lesson plans that guide me specifically through everyone's day.

It also helps if the 2 year old is having a smooth morning - this can be determined early by whether he happily eats the breakfast I give him or if he screams and demands cookies instead. It all goes downhill from there:)

LOL...I make breakfast cookies - oatmeal, peanut butter, eggs, honey and a few chocolate chips or m&m's. great protein, great taste and chocolate. it makes *everyone* happy!! wash them down with a glass of milk and they are a great power breakfast that the kids think is a huge treat!

LOL...I make breakfast cookies - oatmeal, peanut butter, eggs, honey and a few chocolate chips or m&m's. great protein, great taste and chocolate. it makes *everyone* happy!! wash them down with a glass of milk and they are a great power breakfast that the kids think is a huge treat!

wow. can you share the recipe?

In all honesty, the SINGLE most important predictor of success for our day is time spent as a family in prayer and Bible reading. There is something about listening to those little guys say, "Lord, let us have a good school day" that melts my heart.

The other important factors, MOM's attitude, starting on time, having things "lined out" ahead of time, minimizing interruptions (no phone conversations)and keeping the breaks to our scheduled times.

Recipe, please? :D

As for the original question, I would say

1. Scripture study and prayer. I usually do mine before bed, but I find if I'm consistent about it, it helps a lot. Especially with my patience!

2. Kitchen and dining room (our school room) clean and tidy when we get up in the a.m.

3. Getting started by 9 a.m. and starting with math with my K'er

[*]The ability/discipline to give my time to my kids for our school day and put the things that "I" want to do aside.

:iagree: This is exactly what helps us to have a good school day. No folding laundry while trying to teach math or browsing online while they listen to history CDs. I need discipline for myself, and they follow right along. When I'm distracted, they are distracted.

I have't seen this one yet, sometimes it's out of my control. But if there is serious sibling rivalry in the morning that is an indicator of a BAD day ahead. So if they can get through breakfast and chores without major fights, there is a good chance we'll make it through the day in a fairly peaceful manner.

I cannot list a single factor. :)

1. Do what I can the night before -- be prepared.

Have eveything photocopied and ready for the day.

If we are doing a project, it helps to have everything pulled the night before and on the table.

I like to place their independent work on the table so that I can just say, "Okay, let's start." I also place the tool carousel on the table.

While they are doing that, I gather the round of table work items they do at the same time with me (spelling, writing, and science or history worksheets).

I place all books I will read aloud on the ottoman.

Have the house clean before going to bed.

2. I need my half hour alone in the morning with my coffee and computer.

3. Limit running around -- try to have meal stuff already on hand and try not to leave the house during school unless we have to.

4. My attitude. I can usually snap them out of a bad attitude, but if I'm grumpy, it's hard to undo that.

Edited by nestof3

I know you are like me and cannot narrow it down to "single most."

Topping my list, though, are clean kitchen when I wake up, limit my time on the computer, and a good night sleep.

what are yours?

If my dd makes eye contact with me and is "engaged/socail" with her daddy and I...joyful behavior and taking initiative right off, then I know it should be a good day.

My house is a mess so much of the time and I'm trying to work on that. Sheryl <><