Menu

s/o on moving thread: how great a house would 450K get you where you live?

Go to www.realtor.com and enter 425k to 475k in the search box and choose a zip code and voila!

Gosh, where I live, one can buy a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house, 3 car garage, central air, on 50 acres of land which has 2 outbuildings on it. That is the only house for sale in that price range, and they are asking $425,000 for it.

Edited by RoughCollie

That's pretty 'entry level' pricing for us. You can get water-front condos, 3/2 built in the '60s (1200 sq. ft. +/-) w/ 60 x 100 lot , or a smaller Old Town house. You might find a house on a boating canal that needs total renovation. We don't have new developments here since land is a premium & 1/2 the town is historic district.

Just curious.... how do you all define "McMansion"....

Large home from a stock plan, usually repeated multiple times within the neighborhood (and across the country at this point!), often (though not always) thrown up on a treeless lot. "Custom" choices limited to things like flooring, appliances, and colors- the only things distinguishing one from the next. More expensive than your standard Colonial home, but actually rather inexpensive (relatively speaking) because they tend to be built in bulk, and the building company can practically throw them up in their sleep. Often considered tacky and out of place (though I've seen a few done quite tastefully).

Where we are in Michigan, you could get a mansion. I am not joking. Real estate has absolutely bombed out here. So, you could go up to Sandpoint in Lake Huron, Harbor Beach, Port Sanilac, or Lexington (all of these being lovely communities) and get beach front property plus an empty lot or two next door (several large homes with adjacent property in these areas) with private beach access and boat dock, 4500-6500 square feet, with all of the amenities of life.

Or, if quiet country living was more your speed, you could take that money and purchase 100 acres with a 3500 square foot log home, solar panels, wood heat, and large barn, some fencing, and possibly a horse stable and riding area and still have some money left over. That would be in Mid-Michigan. I don't think you could get quite that much in places such as Traverse Bay, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Mackinaw, or Ludington. Those communities are still going pretty strong although the prices have definitely come down.

Faith

Out in the outer 'burbs here it would get you a nice, older house with a decent yard - around 3 bedrooms on an acre, or a decent condo.

Newer houses in developments are going for closer to $6-700K. "Luxury" condos go for similar. Even out here those were going for close to $1m just a few years ago, but it's come down a bit.

Get closer in to the city (but still in a suburb), and that would get you a small post-war ranch with a 1/4 acre lot. Maybe. In the near suburbs we're talking homes well in excess of a million dollars, even multiple millions. I would just love to know where all that money's coming from.

Large home from a stock plan, usually repeated multiple times within the neighborhood (and across the country at this point!), often (though not always) thrown up on a treeless lot. "Custom" choices limited to things like flooring, appliances, and colors- the only things distinguishing one from the next. More expensive than your standard Colonial home, but actually rather inexpensive (relatively speaking) because they tend to be built in bulk, and the building company can practically throw them up in their sleep. Often considered tacky and out of place (though I've seen a few done quite tastefully).

I agree, except for the out of place part. Around here, the McMansion is the standard house and my whole burb is full of them. We do have trees though. Oh, and for 450 K, you can get a top of the line McM with luxury finishes and a pool on a wooded quarter acre.

I agree, except for the out of place part. Around here, the McMansion is the standard house and my whole burb is full of them. We do have trees though. Oh, and for 450 K, you can get a top of the line McM with luxury finishes and a pool on a wooded quarter acre.

..comes from building up to the boundary line. The McMansions I saw in Dallas were built in neighbourhoods where previously relatively modest three-bedroom single-storey houses had been. When they built the McMansions, they took out the trees to build to the boundary.

Laura

HUGE! 4-5 bedroom with a study on the main level. A finished walk-out basement and a 3-4 car garage. Beautiful kitchen! In a very upscale neighborhood, too!

I want one.

OMg! Our house has 4 bedrooms (though should really have 3 - we forced the 4th - it is 1600sqft) and it was $157,000. I can't imagine what that much dough would buy for us!!!

In the tanked economy that is Vegas? Sky's the limit, well, almost. A 3,500 sq. ft. house-4 beds, 3.5 baths on a large lot with a pool was bought for $550,000 about 4 years ago. It sold for $214,000. The house next door to us was picked up in foreclosure for $48,000. That's less than half what we paid 11 years ago.

Executive level home - 4000-6000 SF, on acres of land (2 to 6), upgraded interior finish like crown molding throughout, higher than average ceilings (9-12 feet), expansive rooms, marble-tile-hardwood floors, with hardwood under any carpet. Basically a beautiful house.

Pretty much anything you wanted. $450 is the top luxury home in our area. 4000+ sq, pool, 3 car garage, with acreage

For just a little bit more you could buy a compound. Two homes, an on site private office building, a pool, a private outdoor ice skating rink, a tennis court, etc.

You could also buy a working farm or forested land with streams or ponds.

Or a huge Victorian with original wordwork and a private ballroom. Well, these actually run in the $200s. So you could buy 2 homes.

Where we currently live in the East Bay: medium sized (1500-1900 sq ft 3 BR) condo/townhome or smallish (1100-1700 sq ft 2-3 BR) house that needs updating on a small lot in an okay neighborhood.

Where we used to rent on the Peninsula: a small (<1100 sq ft 1-2 BR) condo in an okay neighborhood or a small house in a bad neighborhood.

Same here.

A medium sized 1800 sqft mcmansion or a townhome with no yard that is new in the new trendy part of town. Many of these are on narrow streets with rock or brick and made to look like New England type city townhomes.

Or a larger sized (2200) older mcmansion that is starting to look a bit worn with a little more yard in a more established part of town.

Or a run down '70s duplex with a large yard in the not so great part of town, next to the railway.

Or 5 acres and a double wide in the country.

Or 10 acres-no house.

New... about 2800-3200 square foot house on a city lot (about an hour outside of DC)

Newer Forclosure... about a 4500-5000 house on a city lot or a 3500 house in 3 acres.

Historic Row House (2000-2500 sq. ft) remodeled, in okay part of city.

Double wide on 10 acres.

My house :001_smile:

I just checked the Zillow estimate for our house -- 1900 sq. ft, tiny CA yard -- and it's $459k. Which is absurd! I do love my house, it's semi-custom, built-in bookshelves & sideboard, but I grew up in Western NY and I know what an almost-half-million-dollar house looks like -- or should, at least. We bought this hs in the late 1990s for just over $200k. The house I grew up in (near Buffalo) is worth $150k according to Zillow -- and it has well over an acre of land. That's more reasonable. Of course, my dad left WNY back in the 1970s because of the job situation ... & most of my cousins have also ended up in CA ...

We only paid $117,500 for 1350 sf (3 bed, 2.5 bath) on an acre lot that backs up to woods with a creek. It's a basic house without any extras. We've upgraded the windows and siding, but only paid about $5k because my dh did all the labor himself except painting.

$450,000 would buy a very nice home in our area.

I checked last night...in my zip code, very nice 5 bedroom house on 5 wooded acres. You could also get a brand new, super fancy enormous house on a quarter or half acre lot with no trees, but I'd take the 5 acres myself. Or I'd move to the closer in town 25 minutes from here and have a good bit to choose from (probably a very nice, somewhat older 3 or 4 bedroom house on wooded half or 3/4 acre in a somewhat walkable neighborhood).

Lakeside property, with acess, a boat house, about an acre of land as well. The home would have a 2 or 3 car garage, 4-5 BRs, 3 bathrooms, formal LR and DR, hardwood floors thru-out and at least one in-formal room.

If you are looking in that price range here, you will *not* find something that is *not* on the lake.

You can get a nice older 1-2 bd condo in a concrete high rise.

As far as house, here you'd be lucky to get a building lot only (50x120) in a decent location for that price. Any house on it would be a tear down/condemned property.

There's actually not a single lot or house listing at that price in my neighbourhood right now.

I always like to look through the MLS listings for my county but I never go all the way down the page...For $349,500 on 13.4 acres of land built in the late 1990s you can get...

"Newer 1 story home sits on 13.40 acres and features a 2 car garage & large shop, 4 bedrooms (2 on main - includes master - & 2 possible down), 2 1/2 baths on main & 1 huge full bath down, open eat-in kitchen with hardwood floor (2nd kitchen down), oak hardwood floor in dining roon, carpeted living room, main floor office and laundry, full- finished basement with family room,game room and walk-out, large rear wood deck, gas fireplace in living room, electric fireplace in master and wood burning fireplace down, Propane GFA heat and central air. This home also has Pella triple pane windows, is wired for surround sound on main, new counter tops and back splash in kitchen, central vac, large bedrooms with walk-in closets and tons of storage."

That doesn't matter to me because for $65k, I can get 6 acres of land and a 4bdrm 1.5 bath house built in the 1900s....Sure it's on the back roads, but if ya got a good truck for winter it wouldn't be a big deal...Some houses just are way overpriced...Or maybe I just don't need all that fancy stuff in whatever house we decide to buy...That could be it...