Do you have a nemesis?  

1. 1. Do you have a nemesis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I used to but...
    • Obligatory "other"

I don't think so. Do you?
I used to... but I grew out of it. It was a high school thing.

I am, however, someone's nemesis, although I'm not sure why. I was a bit flattered to be thought of in such lofty terms at first, but soon realized there was a big disconnect between what this person thought I was and who I am. Now it just makes me a bit sad, though thankfully the crazy emails have stopped.

as in a person?
The question is completely subjective. Please interpret however you wish. :001_smile:

I used to... but I grew out of it. It was a high school thing.

I am, however, someone's nemesis, although I'm not sure why. I was a bit flattered to be thought of in such lofty terms at first, but soon realized there was a big disconnect between what this person thought I was and who I am. Now it just makes me a bit sad, though thankfully the crazy emails have stopped.

I was wondering what brought about such an interesting question.

I know what you mean about who we are vs. who someone thinks we are! I have experienced that before. The me in their head and the real me were very different people. It was a scary kind-of weird. :confused:

Other...I have people at work that I refuse to work with. I don't 'hate' them, I just refuse to work with them, and have told my boss if we are scheduled together, I will call in sick. These are certain relief people, so it isn't normally scheduled people. One, I am certain is stealing from the company. The other likes to stir up trouble and turns normal conversations into arguments.

In my personal life...no nemesis, but I know a few people in my neighborhood would be very, very happy to see me leave! (I am the one who calls the police on the loud music)

I voted "used to" because I was thinking in terms of a human being. The person who led the posse of kids who tormented me at school for 6 years was my nemesis. The worst part was that our parents were friends and they were absolutely clueless. Not only did I have to suffer his abuse at school, but I sometimes in social settings as well. The worst was when our family was invited to their summer cottage for the WEEKEND when I was in 7th grade. I begged not to go - to stay with a friend by my parents were adamant.

These days - can't say I have a nemesis in the form of a human, but I would say "paper/clutter" is my nemesis. It can derail me for weeks. I have no power over it.

A nemesis is "the inescapable or implacable agent of someone's or something's downfall," right? So we all have one.
I'm thinking more in terms of modern American usage, but you've got a point. Good thing Bill's not here. :tongue_smilie:

Guest rubilynne4
Oh wait, I asked dh if I have a nemesis and he replied housework :glare:. Apparently my nemeses has the upper-hand at the moment! :willy_nilly:

me too. :D

The idea that my house should look like people do not live here.

But wait! I have grown quite a bit in this area. My children feel comfortable in their own home, and aren't counting the days until they are free of their crazy mother, so I must be nearly be a super- hero at this point. ;)

Since I come from a loooong line of minimalists and anal -rententive house-cleaners who people basically fear (like if you put something down, know that it will probably go in the trash), this is big. :) So I voted, "I used to but".

Edited by LibraryLover

Years ago (many, thankfully), I had a boss -- a library branch manager, actually -- who used to repeatedly say to the front desk staff, "You know, the county could train monkeys to do your jobs and save the taxpayers some money." She was a tyrant, truly.

In another job, I had a boss -- a bakery owner, actually -- who used to repeatedly throw things at employees from across the bakery. His aim was pretty good most of the time.

In another job, I had multiple male coworkers -- car salesmen, actually -- who repeatedly told me that they would either date me or rape me, I could choose; but they were not going to have any virgins working around the place, since it made them too excited.

I've had other hell-hole jobs like these, but I'll stop here. The moral of this story is: Beware of where your daughters work.

So, yes, I have had nemesises. Or is it nemeses? I looked it up, it's nemeses. I've had those.

I don't have those anymore, but then, I'm not employed. :tongue_smilie: