Menu

GUS/Secular Roll Call

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you can be both ;) A lot of pagans are atheists.

Well I dunno, that would require rather a stricter label than I want to give myself.

Huh? Secular people don't have characters? :001_huh:

:lol:

Rosie

Well according to Scouts Australia, I'm guessing they don't have morals because as an adult leader I am not allowed to choose to not pledge to do my duty to god, I HAVE to have a god. Even if it's the flying spaghetti monster!! Gimme a break. I'm guessing it's because in order to have morals one must have a god to answer to. I've figured out the gods I can do my duty to though, Ranginui and Papatuanuku... Maori gods of earth and sky, I always aim to do my duty to earth and sky!! Edited by keptwoman

Atheist homeschooler here. Ever try to do a Google search for large atheist homeschooling families? Or even just large atheist families? I like being unique, but when even Google thinks I'm weird, I get self-conscious.

Raising freethinkers with secular materials (though our Latin comes from Memoria Press. It's good Latin!). Right now, 11yo defines himself as agnostic, 8yo defines herself as a polytheist, and 7yo has figured out the Easter Bunny, but not the Tooth Fairy. We have a strict don't ask/don't tell policy on Santa.

Hello!

I, too, do not seem to have the belief gene. My husband is Catholic...and I sing in the choir at the church... usually I am doing a lot of solo work, etc... but nope, not even after 10 years of having to sit through masses do I even begin to get it. Luckily, they are all cool with me and could care less that I could care less. Occasionally, we have a Jewish woman and a Buddhist sing with us, so they seem to be pretty cool about it. Plus, the basses always bring beer to practice. :D

My kids right now are flat out atheists, much to my husband's dismay. They do believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, leprecauns and the Loch Ness monster. Not quite sure about all that. And aliens. They really believe in aliens (not necessarily on our planet....but off in the universe somewhere) .

I use mostly secular stuff. Some things, like Life of Fred, are more than acceptable to me. I am an adult and can edit things on the fly, or get into a discussion at anytime with my kids..... However, religion is such an integral part of man's history that we end up discussing it A LOT.

I don't know what I am prattling on about.

I woke up an hour and a half early to get our cat that my husband let out by accident....:glare:

Secularly HSing a 9yr old dd with a 3yr old ds coming along for the ride. Atheist / agnostic (it depends on the description of the deity I am presented with), with an interest in pagan / Buddhist perspectives.

We're in chilly Australia.

Nikki

We have a Jewish background, but we're not very religious. We celebrate Passover and Hanukkah, more for cultural and historical reasons (and for fun) than out of any deep sense of being religious.

We homeschool secularly, using the Oak Meadow curriculum.

I dislike labels, but here goes...

I identify as a philosophical theist/deist. For me, believing in GUS is comforting. I'm not brave enought to be an atheist.

Dh is a lapsed Catholic - with the obligatory guilt :) He went to Catholic school...

We homeschool secularly, but have read through a children's bible, and do memorize some verses, Nicean creed, etc. It appeases dh's guilt, keeps mil happy and I see it as part of cultural literacy. This year we'll add religious studies and memorize from the religious texts of other religions - an idea I got from Rose in this great thread.

Most of our friends are very religious Christians, so we have the 'they believe - mom believes - dad believes" conversation often.

Well according to Scouts Australia, I'm guessing they don't have morals because as an adult leader I am not allowed to choose to not pledge to do my duty to god, I HAVE to have a god. Even if it's the flying spaghetti monster!! Gimme a break. I'm guessing it's because in order to have morals one must have a god to answer to. I've figured out the gods I can do my duty to though, Ranginui and Papatuanuku... Moari gods of earth and sky, I always aim to do my duty to earth and sky!!

That made me LOL because it reminded of when my eldest DD was about 5 and my Scout-Leader-extraordinaire/ God-believing brother-in-law showed my daughter the scout badge for believing in God. He then asked her if she believed in God; her answer, "Yes! Of course, Thor the thunder god". :D I don't think that was really the answer he was looking for :svengo:

Oh, count me in as secular too :001_smile:

:001_smile:

Secular homeschooler here as well. Some people shared curriculum plans. Not exactly sure what we're up to curriculum wise yet next year. But this summer, we're taking a break from regular school and only doing reading and also a unit on classic movies and how movies are made.

Dh is very atheistic and I'm at an agnostic stage. I've been here a while. It's rough on my folks, both of whom are ministers. My sister is either agnostic or atheistic; either way, her son wasn't baptized.

OTOH, it'd be nice if there were a clearer split between Christian and fundamentalist. I have liked seeing the people who have posted here and are religious but not using the materials from Apologia or Bob Jones. (I think my folks would speak up and question our choices if we used any of those materials.)

We're in the South, so it's definitely been rough finding secular homeschool groups (although we are in one that's nice).

We are a (very) liberal Catholic family. Our older kids attend two different Catholic high schools where the religion courses include comparative world religions and social justice.

I got twitchy looking at Catholic and Christian curricular materials when we first made the decision to homeschool our youngest.

Definitely secular homeschooling here. On a personal level, I'm leaning toward agnostic but I'm kind of in a searching mode. Even at a time when I considered myself Christian (United Methodist to be exact) I would have been a secular homeschooler.

I'm lucky enough that I very rarely run into any Fundamentalists IRL. I never even realized that some people thought the dinosaurs were on the ark, didn't believe in evolution, thought Catholics (my mothers entire family is Catholic, exh and I were raising oldest dd Catholic) and Mormons were not Christians, etc. until I started looking into homeschooling. I always considered myself widely read and aware but it was certainly an eye-opener.

I've been having sort of a crisis of faith lately. Although I (probably still) identify as a Christian, we are homeschooling secularly. I'm glad to see so many secular homeschoolers on this board. I about started a brawl (accidentally) on another homeschooling board when I asked for recommendations for a secular character study. :lol:

I think I was involved in that discussion. :D

Atheist here, but dh and kids are nominal Catholics. I probably wouldn't have bothered with CCE and First Communion, but dh really wanted the kids to do the traditional stuff, even though I've never seen him voluntarily pray or go to mass in 20 years. I don't mind, it brings back memories of my childhood and learning to sit still for an hour and follow along with the mass is a useful skill.

I use religious materials if they're easy to tweak and I've often found that the religion is a very thin icing over normal, academic content. Of course, there's a big difference between VP's reading comprehension stuff and BJU's Heritage Studies. I don't mind Christianity, I do mind criticism of other beliefs. So for us, R&S English 2 is fine, Windows on the World from SL is NOT.

I'm here too :seeya: I'm agnostic/atheist, depending on the day :D We're using secular materials (or mildly Christian materials secularly), and I'm teaching the girls my way while still allowing for inclusion of DH's (liberal, nonspecific Christian) beliefs (e.g., "I believe xyz, while Daddy and many other people believe abc.")

There used to be more of us here, but there was a bit of an upheaval awhile back and resulted in a segment of secular HSers breaking away.

Count me in! I'm probably best described as an agnostic (with an atheist dh), doing my best to raise freethinkers. We're starting first grade with my oldest in September.

Dh and I were both raised Catholic, though, and it leaves a cultural imprint. Sometimes it seems so strange that the kids will never really 'get' a lot of our jokes.

Well according to Scouts Australia, I'm guessing they don't have morals because as an adult leader I am not allowed to choose to not pledge to do my duty to god, I HAVE to have a god. Even if it's the flying spaghetti monster!! Gimme a break. I'm guessing it's because in order to have morals one must have a god to answer to. I've figured out the gods I can do my duty to though, Ranginui and Papatuanuku... Maori gods of earth and sky, I always aim to do my duty to earth and sky!!
:D FSM - he he. Has he touched you with his noodly appendage, too?

There used to be more of us here, but there was a bit of an upheaval awhile back and resulted in a segment of secular HSers breaking away.
Where did they end up going, if you know?

Weird position here.

Go to an Anglican church but not often these days. Not sure if I believe in God or Jesus as laid out in the Creeds but find the framework/idea of Jesus most useful and practical in my life. Probably an agnostic in denial but about to embark on training to mentor an Episcopal lay ministry course (EFM for those in the know). More adamently secular in my curriculum choices then many atheists/agnostics I know. Pushed by my atheist husband to include more of the Bible and church in our homeschooling.

So do I fit? Not sure. But I know I generally feel more at ease amongst the secular homeschooling crowd. :)

:seeya:

We are secular homeschoolers in the Bible Belt. :001_smile:

This is us. (Hi everyone! :seeya:)

It's hard to be part of such a minority within a minority (secular homeschoolers on top of being homeschoolers).... just try to find a cover around here that doesn't require a statement of faith!

I participated in a used curric sale the other night, as I *finally* have a few things to sell after four years of hsing. I only sold six chapter books, as no one wanted my secular materials. :confused: If I ever figure out paypal, I will probably list them here...

Glad to see so many of us here! :D

I didn't even know what secular meant until I came to these boards in about 1993 and found myself labelled as such.

My scientific father (astronomer) was probably a strong influence in my not taking up Christianity (he still shakes his head in bewilderment that his sister can be a fundamentalist), He is quite atheist.

However dh and I have strong spiritual leanings, with distinct eastern religious flavors (Buddhism and Vedanta), I have always had a fascination with finding the essence of any true spiritual path, which usually involves stripping it of its religious aspects. I have a love for nature based religions such as paganism, but would say I am more in alignment with shamanism as a spiritual path.

I don't like box myself into any label though and like to remain fresh and curious, and find the common ground rather than emphasise differences. I do believe in angels and fairies, because I am aware that the spectrum of reality that we are conscious of is very narrow, and it would be naive to presume that only that exists which we can sense with our 5 normal senses.

Bbut even though I studied it, I am not convinced about homeopathy. :)

Edited by Peela

This is us. (Hi everyone! :seeya:)

It's hard to be part of such a minority within a minority (secular homeschoolers on top of being homeschoolers).... just try to find a cover around here that doesn't require a statement of faith!

I participated in a used curric sale the other night, as I *finally* have a few things to sell after four years of hsing. I only sold six chapter books, as no one wanted my secular materials. :confused: If I ever figure out paypal, I will probably list them here...

Glad to see so many of us here! :D

Your homeschool fair experience makes me smile. You should come to our town where 4 Christian denominations have their headquarters. :lol:

Well according to Scouts Australia, I'm guessing they don't have morals because as an adult leader I am not allowed to choose to not pledge to do my duty to god, I HAVE to have a god. Even if it's the flying spaghetti monster!! Gimme a break. I'm guessing it's because in order to have morals one must have a god to answer to. I've figured out the gods I can do my duty to though, Ranginui and Papatuanuku... Maori gods of earth and sky, I always aim to do my duty to earth and sky!!

My ds wanted to go join the Scouts; I have some reservations about this, after reading about what they think of Atheists, but I didn't say anything to ds.

We attended one meeting and ds was all ready to join, then we got the paper work you need to sign. It asks you sign to a statement of faith, or something to that affect, that you believe in God. Well, I signed it, I did not want my son to miss out due to my thoughts on the subject.

After a month, ds seemed reluctant to attended his next meeting. I asked him what was the matter, thinking he may have been bullied. He said "I can't go to Scouts any more, I don't like having to lie. I don't believe in God or anything thing else, and it is wrong of me to pretend that I do."

He never went to another Scout meeting and will tell anyone who asks that he is an Atheist; except his grandparents, they just would not understand.

Hi, my name is Stephanie and we are secular homeschoolers and a secular family. I have 3 boys of which the oldest two have graduated. My third is a rising 9th grader. I find with my 3rd that I have less patience to "make do" with curriculum containing religious material and would rather go forth on my own. Or maybe I just have more confidence in myself. :)

Well, I'm not sure if I fit here, but we do homeschool mostly secularly.

We're Latter-day Saints, and we are Christian, even though many Christians would tell you we aren't. Because of that, I find myself not being able to use much blatantly religious material in our schooling. It's not so much that I'm offended by their beliefs (I'm not...I always love to learn what others believe and why. I'm weird like that. :lol:), but in the materials I've read, they seem to be offended by mine (speaking collectively, not individually here), and I can't use material that actively bashes my religion.

I also find that I like to present all sides of an issue (creationism AND evolution, for example), and I have found Christian materials to be not so open to that approach.

Therefore, I use what is available and tweak it as best I can. Right now we are using Winterpromise (I just skip the Bible study), SWB's materials (SOTW, WWE, etc.) and whatever else I can find that works for us. And, I'm a curriculum junkie, so I'm ALWAYS eager to see new stuff.

And, as far as the fairies go....we celebrate Midsummer's Eve by setting out a "feast" for the fairies in our flower bed and in the morning, they leave cool little gifts for the kids as a "thank-you". Cupid and the leprechauns also visit my house on their holidays as well, so I don't know what that says about me. BTW, just so their are no doubts (because we Mormons are dogged by ridiculous rumors about our faith).....fairies are NOT part of LDS theology. :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Guest CarolineUK

Secular homeschooler. Quiet belief in God and Jesus Christ. Dh and boys go to church every week, but, like Ghandi, I have a problem with (some of) the 'Christians'.

I have always felt that human beings might need religious belief as a basis for morality, but I've never really thought very deeply about it up till this moment. Any insights?

Secular homeschooler. Quiet belief in God and Jesus Christ. Dh and boys go to church every week, but, like Ghandi, I have a problem with (some of) the 'Christians'.

I have always felt that human beings might need religious belief as a basis for morality, but I've never really thought very deeply about it up till this moment. Any insights?

There are at least a billion people in this world who profess no religion. Do you think they are they all amoral criminals, or most likely law-abiding normal, good people who are just trying to get by like the rest of us?

Because of your professed beliefs I do apologize in advance for linking you to this blog, but it is chock full of interesting essays. Aside from the one on the front page, scroll down and on your left there's a whole section entitled "Morality and Atheism".

We're secular, liberal homeschoolers with only one child - which was by design (meaning it wasn't a fertility thing, please don't tell me "oh I'm so sorry"! WE DID IT THAT WAY ON PURPOSE!)

All of which seem to be a triple whammy in the military!

OMG this is TOTALLY US. (well, except the military thing! :D)

Secular-- check

Liberal -- check

homeschooler-- check

only child by design-- check

astrid

I am an atheist. I don't believe in anything, whether it be Mother Earth, God, Buddha or any other name you wish to give to it.

I know how to live a good life, I know the difference between right and wrong. I don't need some invisible being telling me how to live, I can work it out all by myself. I am also quite capable of teaching my ds what is right and wrong.

I am so tired of people thinking that you must have religion in order to know what is right, what is moral. I can think quite clearly for myself, thank you.

I am so tired of people thinking that you must have religion in order to know what is right, what is moral. I can think quite clearly for myself, thank you.

:iagree:Not to mention that some of the most "religious" people are also some of the most immoral.

Guest CarolineUK
Because of your professed beliefs I do apologize in advance for linking you to this blog, but it is chock full of interesting essays. Aside from the one on the front page, scroll down and on your left there's a whole section entitled "Morality and Atheism".

Thank you. No need to apologise, I am genuinely interested, as I said, I've never thought about it deeply before, but it always seemed to be one of the raisons d'etre for religion. I don't necessarily think that a (quiet) belief in God and Jesus Christ rules out looking at other ideas or beliefs in an interested and open-minded way.

And no, I didn't know that at least a billion people in the world profess no religion, so I'd never really given it any thought as to whether they might be amoral criminals or not. What I suppose was going through my mind was that if our religious culture is not what informs our morality, what does? Is it innate? If so, why does a culture's morality, as in what is or is not acceptable, change over history, or why do different cultures have different moral codes?

I wasn't on an anti-atheist pro-religion bandwagon - here in the UK we have very little in the way of Christian fundamentalism, we're mostly a pretty apathetic lot.