Menu

GUS/Secular Roll Call

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cindie2dds
We are Christians who use mostly secular material because the Christian material is often offensive to our beliefs.

You can see the line-up in my signature. I am raising my children to be free-thinkers.:001_smile:

Yep. This is me and exactly what I would have said! Thanks, Christy.

We love science and pretty much anything sci-fi. :)

Self-identifying atheist here married to man who self-identifies as agnostic yet we both are firmly convinced that supernatural entities do not exist and share substantially same philosophy.

We use secular materials in our homeschool.

Children identify as atheist, agnostic, Christian (United Church of Christ), and an atheist Unitarian Universalist. One child's journey led him to study Catholicism, Reform Judaism, Mormonism, and Quaker (ism?) before finding spiritual home.

Cautiously optimistic agnostics here. Raised a liberal, social justice activist, kumbaya-singing Catholic. Wish that church still existed..

Holy Cow! I went to that church :) "Let it Be" ...."Shalom" and of course, "Kumbaya". Sigh. Childhood. Good times.

I'd say no, unless our resident apathists are also really radical unschoolers who make no attempt to instill any morals or train to any code of behaviour. This being a classicallish homeschooling board, I'm tipping our apathists aren't really radical homeschoolers.

I know this is old old old, but I just can't help myself: UNSCHOOLING DOES NOT EQUAL LAISSEZ-FAIRE PARENTING AND FAILURE TO GUIDE YOUR CHILDREN. Sorry, I shouted. But it bugs the heck out of me (goodness knows why, since I'm not even a real unschooler myself). In fact, many people would say that "instilling morals" is in fact the opposite of "training". An important objective for many unschooling families (radical or not) is to guide their children to embrace moral/ethical behavior for its own sake, rather than training them to behave by using rewards and punishments. This should be easy for the non religious among us to understand, as it is similar to the familiar argument that non religious morality is superior since it is chosen by true free will, whereas religious morality is simply people doing the right thing so as to avoid the fire and brimstone (or whatever). (Clearly this argument is simplistic and not wholly correct, but you must have heard of it.)

I've made it. I'm nosy that way. :tongue_smilie:
Ummm, me too :lol:
Lol, me too!

Me four! I generally read the whole thread if I intend to participate in it. (Btw, I find it irritating to see somebody begin their post with "I haven't read the thread, but...")

Oh dear, I think the lack of sleep must be getting to me... Please forgive the irate tone.

Peace, love and hot drinks to all (except those philistines who don't like hot drinks. I wish you a cold beverage of your choice.)

Edited by Hotdrink

I know this is old old old, but I just can't help myself: UNSCHOOLING DOES NOT EQUAL LAISSEZ-FAIRE PARENTING AND FAILURE TO GUIDE YOUR CHILDREN. Sorry, I shouted. But it bugs the heck out of me (goodness knows why, since I'm not even a real unschooler myself).

I didn't read it that way at all. I read "unschoolers who are" not "unschoolers who all are" I guess I saw an implied "also" in there, i.e "unschoolers who are also slack bottom parents" Coz we all know that most aren't. However, some of us know some who are.

I know this is old old old, but I just can't help myself: UNSCHOOLING DOES NOT EQUAL LAISSEZ-FAIRE PARENTING AND FAILURE TO GUIDE YOUR CHILDREN.

Keep your skirt on! I said "really radical unschoolers who make no attempt to instill any morals or train to any code of behaviour." I didn't say all unschoolers, radical or otherwise had no morals, were iassez-faire, didn't like hot drinks or anything dreadful. I have no idea if there are real life, non-hypothetical people who make no attempt to teach their children morals but I was talking purely hypothetical.

Oh dear, I think the lack of sleep must be getting to me... Please forgive the irate tone.

Peace, love and hot drinks to all (except those philistines who don't like hot drinks. I wish you a cold beverage of your choice.)

Yeah I think it is, but if shouting at me stopped you from shouting at your hubby or kids, I'm glad to be of service. :D If my post irritated you into waking up from your dozy board reading state, I can only suggest peace, love, a hot drink and that you could try rereading my post when you are actually awake.

:)

Rosie

Does that make me a religious homeschooler? I don't know. But if that's what I am, that's a pretty small camp. Can I hang out here anyway?

Yeah, I don't consider myself a secular homeschooler either, based on how I define the word. However, it seems that in some cases secular is used as a synomym for non-Christian so, while I am actually uncomfortable with that definition, I don't think the use of the word excludes us from the secular camp when used in that way. And I suspect there are many others that call their schooling methods secular but have some sort of religious/spiritual tradition in their home and education. (I think the fact that I don't separate education from living also muddies my waters on this one... so there you go.)

Eh... I think maybe I need to start a whole thread on the idea of secular at some point to really understand what people mean when they say that!

Now I want to go see what you've been using for copywork!

ETA: Count me in as someone that has read every post on this thread, and will continue to do so. :D

Edited by MelanieM

Although I am and always have been non-Christian, that isn't how I define secular. I define secular in that we don't live a particularly religious lifestyle, and I don't home-educate for religious reasons or in a religious manner/using religious curriculum etc.

Of course we do still talk about and/or celebrate our Jewish heritage and culture, especially around the major holidays, and I somehow manage to teach "morals" the rest of the year lol... but yeah I consider us a secular homeschooling family.

Although I am and always have been non-Christian, that isn't how I define secular. I define secular in that we don't live a particularly religious lifestyle, and I don't home-educate for religious reasons or in a religious manner/using religious curriculum etc.

Of course we do still talk about and/or celebrate our Jewish heritage and culture, especially around the major holidays, and I somehow manage to teach "morals" the rest of the year lol... but yeah I consider us a secular homeschooling family.

Maybe it's a matter of which word "secular" is modifying, LOL.

Secular homeschooling family could mean, "A family who homeschools secularly". Or it could mean, "A secular family who homeschools."

We've had both in this thread. :)

Yeah, I don't consider myself a secular homeschooler either, based on how I define the word. However, it seems that in some cases secular is used as a synomym for non-Christian so, while I am actually uncomfortable with that definition, I don't think the use of the word excludes us from the secular camp when used in that way. And I suspect there are many others that call their schooling methods secular but have some sort of religious/spiritual tradition in their home and education. (I think the fact that I don't separate education from living also muddies my waters on this one... so there you go.)

Well, as I said in my earlier posts, you don't see publishers falling over themselves to offer material targeting the Hellenic Neopagan UU with Shinto/Buddhist/Reform Jewish influences ;), so, yes, I do indeed have a religious/spiritual tradition in our home. We do emphasize aspects of history and other subjects that relate to our religious tenets. However, we use secular/non-religiously oriented/not Christian-specific materials to teach because those are a better fit than the Christian-specific (my preferred term over "religious" as Christians aren't the only ones who are religious) ones.

I suppose I *could* reword all my math problems to say things like, "Philemon and Baucis lived in a town with 20 houses. Each house had 6 people living there. When Zeus and Hermes destroyed the town for failure to provide proper hospitality to strangers, how many people died for not showing proper piety?" but it seems a bit cumbersome.;)

I suppose I *could* reword all my math problems to say things like, "Philemon and Baucis lived in a town with 20 houses. Each house had 6 people living there. When Zeus and Hermes destroyed the town for failure to provide proper hospitality to strangers, how many people died for not showing proper piety?" but it seems a bit cumbersome.;)

I tutored a kid whose math program required him to convert measurements to cubits.

I am teaching a secular eighth grade to please my non-Pagan kid. But I am a religious non-Christian homeschooler, not a secular one; me and the kids are religious in school and life. So I'm divided here, "Goddess/Universe/Spirit" would seem to indicate that I'm okay adding myself to this roll call, but I think secular means not being religious. So...:confused: I'm not an equal and opposite to CC! I don't even teach using just secular stuff, although in some areas, yeah, no compromise.

- Rose here

- teaching four kids, currently 8th grade and 12 years old, 5th/9, 2nd/7, and K/4,

- living in sin with their daddio for a good long time and planning to keep at it,

- using an LCC approach,

- Neopagan Druid

- actually not a relativist so much (eek!) and not a humanist either

I couldn't figure out if I should reply here, either. Goddess/Universe/Spirit does *not* mean "secular" to me.

I teach using secular and Christian materials. I am Pagan, not particularly relativist, politically conservative, using LCC. The secular label is useful to me in identifying curricula in certain areas, but otherwise it doesn't fit me. I used to think it did, but I was wrong :D

since we're coming out, can I also self identify as one of the Phillistines who prefers cold drinks? Iced tea, iced coffee, fruity drinks on ice with umbrellas in them....

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: Now that's a good word problem!!!

Well, as I said in my earlier posts, you don't see publishers falling over themselves to offer material targeting the Hellenic Neopagan UU with Shinto/Buddhist/Reform Jewish influences ;), so, yes, I do indeed have a religious/spiritual tradition in our home. We do emphasize aspects of history and other subjects that relate to our religious tenets. However, we use secular/non-religiously oriented/not Christian-specific materials to teach because those are a better fit than the Christian-specific (my preferred term over "religious" as Christians aren't the only ones who are religious) ones.

Yes, I hear you! Secular materials are the choice of most non-Christians (and many Christians who do not want religion mixed with their curriculum), and the choices available are usually either Christian or secular -- not much else out there, it seems.

In light of that, this distinction when used to describe curricula makes sense to me. But it also seems to be used to define homeschoolers when it isn't really relevant. Like in the title of this thread... GUS is the exact opposite of secular. Not that you can't be a spiritual/religious person that is also a secular homeschooler, but I actually am wondering how big of a group that really is.

I would say that even if you are a religious person that uses only secular materials, if you provide any religious instruction at all then you are not a secular homeschooler. (Of course, that's just my assessment and people are free to define themselves however they choose.) Rather, you are a person who uses secular materials, and (perhaps) separates spiritual and academic education in the home.

Ha! Well, if you do it, please do share! My kids are enjoying a relationship with the Greek Gods right now, and I'm pretty sure they'd be over the moon about this. :lol:

I couldn't figure out if I should reply here, either. Goddess/Universe/Spirit does *not* mean "secular" to me.

I teach using secular and Christian materials. I am Pagan, not particularly relativist, politically conservative, using LCC. The secular label is useful to me in identifying curricula in certain areas, but otherwise it doesn't fit me. I used to think it did, but I was wrong :D

Right. There you go... you said it much more succinctly than I did. :)

The nuances of the word have also been interesting as we define our homeschool group. We call ourselves an inclusive group, because we have (or have had) Christians (conservative and liberal, evangelical and not), Jews, Neopagans, UUs, agnostics, Buddhists, atheists, etc. We avoided the label "secular" because most of the secular groups in the area explicitly said that no religious conversation of any sort was welcome and we didn't mean that any more than we meant only Christian conversation was welcome.

In light of that, this distinction when used to describe curricula makes sense to me. But it also seems to be used to define homeschoolers when it isn't really relevant. Like in the title of this thread... GUS is the exact opposite of secular. Not that you can't be a spiritual/religious person that is also a secular homeschooler, but I actually am wondering how big of a group that really is.

I would say that even if you are a religious person that uses only secular materials, if you provide any religious instruction at all then you are not a secular homeschooler. (Of course, that's just my assessment and people are free to define themselves however they choose.) Rather, you are a person who uses secular materials, and (perhaps) separates spiritual and academic education in the home.

I may be in a very, very small minority here, but I do think it's possible to believe in GUS/be a spiritual person (even religious) and yet not have those beliefs influence one's homeschooling path. I also think it's possible to have religious materials included in one's homeschooling path and yet still be a secular homeschooler. (Maybe I just like being contradictory! :lol: )

We are secular, LCC & WTM inspired, classical homeschoolers. Though most everything we use is "secular" in that we do not tend to use religious publishers, it is hard when looking for certain things (for instance, our Latin is published by a Christian company and we will probably use their Spanish and maybe logic programs, though I actively avoid things like R&S, BJU, and Apologia because the religious-content is too much for us).

I am also spiritual, but we tend to be secular humanist in how we teach our children. I do teach them prayers (they love the Our Father and Hail Mary even though we are not Catholic) and we tend to have family prayer time, but again, this is outside of school time. We read about saints. We read Buddhist stories and enjoy spiritual stories from a variety of religions. I personally may lean towards my own eclectic belief in the Christian story (though most Christians would disagree with my interpretations ;) ), it does not influence our homeschooling. We feel it's important for the boys to know the Bible - to know the Jewish stories and the Christian stories. They are so imbedded in Western-everything that we feel it's important cultural literacy. And, often that is part of our homeschooling. But it doesn't make us religious homeschoolers anymore than a public school that teaches Bible as literature is a Christian school.

I guess all this to say that I think it is possible to be spiritual in one's beliefs and yet be a secular homeschooler. And I think it's possible to be a secular homeschooler and include various religious-based or religious-published materials for purposes other than teaching a particular religion.

Oh, and I too have read the whole thread - I LOVE discussions like this. Honestly, religion (belief and non-belief) is one of my absolute favorite topics in the world and I wish it wasn't so taboo in social settings. :)

I guess all this to say that I think it is possible to be spiritual in one's beliefs and yet be a secular homeschooler. And I think it's possible to be a secular homeschooler and include various religious-based or religious-published materials for purposes other than teaching a particular religion.

Yes, I can totally see this. I think a lot of people provide religious instruction for cultural literacy, and that it is absolutely possible to use religious programs for teaching even while you do not prescribe to those beliefs. I also understand that many people teach their own religious beliefs to their children for information purposes only, rather than as a way to pass along the faith. (Though I suspect this is more tricky to accomplish than it might appear at first blush.)

When I was talking about religious instruction, I meant more along the lines of instructing our children within our belief systems. So for a Christian, that might mean Bible study or Sunday school. For a Pagan, it might mean including the children in certain rituals and nature celebrations.

I guess I'm wondering how many people define themselves as secular homeschoolers when they use only secular materials but do provide this type of religious instruction outside of "school" time, vs. using only secular materials and providing no personal spiritual/religious instruction in the home at all.

Again, I realize that I'm only going by my own interpretation of what it would mean to be a secular homeschooler, and other people can (and should) use whatever definitions work for them. If someone uses secular materials, but also does morning devotionals and reads from a holy book every night before bed and wants to call themselves secular homeschoolers, then they should go for it! :)

Oh, and I too have read the whole thread - I LOVE discussions like this. Honestly, religion (belief and non-belief) is one of my absolute favorite topics in the world and I wish it wasn't so taboo in social settings. :)

Me too! And in fact, I often throw caution to the wind and invite others to discuss religion with me, regardless of the fact that many people consider it taboo. I've yet to have that bite me in the bum... usually it ends up as really fascinating conversation that I thoroughly enjoy. :D

(I obviously must enjoy this stuff a tad much if I'm splitting hairs to this degree!!)

I teach using secular and Christian materials. I am Pagan, not particularly relativist, politically conservative, using LCC.

I also worried that my politics aren't exactly liberal, and that if I'm counting myself as a "secular homeschooler" I might be accidentally indicating that I am a Democrat. I really didn't want to explain what I am and am not, politically, though. Politics of any sort, along with secularism, shouldn't be tied to Goddess/Universe/Spirit.

I put GUS and secular because someone asked for a role call of those who essentially not Christian. I apologise for the offence, clearly they should have been two different roll calls. Someone else can feel free to start them.

I'll be in the secular one, I don't subscribe to any religion.

I put GUS and secular because someone asked for a role call of those who essentially not Christian. I apologise for the offence, clearly they should have been two different roll calls. Someone else can feel free to start them.

Hey, no offense taken here! I think it's been a great thread and a very interesting discussion. :)

I'm late to the party and I'm so sorry I missed all this discussion! We are Unitarian which can mean any number of things from secular humanist to agnostic. Our church has it's fair number of atheists.

I totally agree with the above quote! We love to talk about all religions, beliefs, parables, etc. We talk about Chinese New Year, Christmas, Passover, Ramadan, etc. We draw wisdom where we can and we leave those things that don't speak to us. Sometimes exposure just leads to tolerance, understanding, and cultural literacy. This is very much how Sunday School works in our church as well.

So I would categorize us as secular homeschoolers even though we aren't all solidly atheist. I generally avoid curriculum like Apologia and heavily Christian content. But if there were quotes in the margin from various religions and angles, I'd be on board. :001_smile: Science definitely needs to be secular though for us.

The other connotation I get at least locally by the expression "Secular Homeschoolers" is inclusive groups. I know plenty of Christians locally who prefer secular content in their curriculum and seek out secular groups. If asked, I think the majority would call themself homeschooling from a secular perspective.

On the politcal spectrum of secular homeschoolers locally, it definitely leans liberal, but there is a range. Many are very educated and out spoken about their own particular issues.

I may be in a very, very small minority here, but I do think it's possible to believe in GUS/be a spiritual person (even religious) and yet not have those beliefs influence one's homeschooling path. I also think it's possible to have religious materials included in one's homeschooling path and yet still be a secular homeschooler. (Maybe I just like being contradictory! :lol: )

:iagree: with this too. I go to a UU/UCC church, and I've even volunteered to teach the middle schoolers world religions next year. I'm hoping to read parts of many different religious texts as part of this and our study of world history. But I only use secular homeschooling materials for academics - I don't need religion (especially one I don't subscribe to) mixed with my math or grammar, and I certainly don't want providential history or creationist science (no offense to those whose boats those float)

Secular h'schooler. I'm not sure what I am....maybe post-christian?

I posted on this board for several years when my olders were schooling (was Yevrah then....and I think cindyh for while???) and I was in the christian camp, using christian materials.

So my youngest two are definitely getting a different edumacation than my older 4 :D

My siggy has what we're planning to use...so glad to see so many secular schoolers here. I had no idea.

I also worried that my politics aren't exactly liberal, and that if I'm counting myself as a "secular homeschooler" I might be accidentally indicating that I am a Democrat. I really didn't want to explain what I am and am not, politically, though. Politics of any sort, along with secularism, shouldn't be tied to Goddess/Universe/Spirit.

I want to agree with you ... well, I *do* agree with you. However, I find that if I leave it at "secular" or "pagan," then generally two things are assumed about me: 1) that I have a reactionary attitude toward Christianity, and 2) that I'm liberal. I've been yelled out of Pagan social groups because of my political choices, so I carry around a need to just throw it up front. A much better way of handling it might be to remind people to not make those assumptions.

I'm not offended.

We're just starting out homeschooling but due to my slightly OCD tendencies and a very strong love of finding new things to read and study - I did/do a LOT of reading/research on homeschooling. What I found is that curriculum choice seem to be divided into just two types:

Christian - which means you believe the dinosaurs walked with man and either were on the ark (and are still alive somewhere in Africa or Australia) or were somehow forgotten and that's why they are no longer here; that scientists are pawns of the devil and their main goal is to discredit God; and that everything (history, math, english and especially science) can be taught as coming from God. (God in this ALWAYS refers to the Christian God - usually the New Testament version).

Secular - which means you want none of the above in your teaching materials. Doesn't matter if you are Christian/Spiritual/Pagan/worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster - if you don't want to teach from the above view - you are secular.

I'm sure their are individuals who don't agree with the above assessment, but it seems to be the prevailing attitude in many places. :tongue_smilie:

Guest Jenai

Don't you dare go apologizing. I'm new here, and therefore was a tad confused... by default. Once I figured out "GUS", it made sense to join it with the secular role call.

And thank you... because I am not only new here, but also to homeschooling. I've felt very lonely and disoriented trying to figure out a secular curriculum for my son... and this thread really lifted my mood. Thank you!!!

:)

I just thought I'd clarify that *I* am not offended by this thread in the least, but I thought it would be fun to see the results in a poll. That is why I started the other thread.

I'll chime in here, and then I'll probably go back and read what all the controversy was about!

Secular here:

For our 7 yo son:

HWT (desperately needs work on printing still)

Singapore math

WWE2

MCT Island level

Ancient world history - trying to figure out what to use for this

Science - still figuring this out - want to see what Nebel's next book looks like

French?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
We're just starting out homeschooling but due to my slightly OCD tendencies and a very strong love of finding new things to read and study - I did/do a LOT of reading/research on homeschooling. What I found is that curriculum choice seem to be divided into just two types:

Christian - which means you believe the dinosaurs walked with man and either were on the ark (and are still alive somewhere in Africa or Australia) or were somehow forgotten and that's why they are no longer here; that scientists are pawns of the devil and their main goal is to discredit God; and that everything (history, math, english and especially science) can be taught as coming from God. (God in this ALWAYS refers to the Christian God - usually the New Testament version).

Secular - which means you want none of the above in your teaching materials. Doesn't matter if you are Christian/Spiritual/Pagan/worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster - if you don't want to teach from the above view - you are secular.

I'm sure their are individuals who don't agree with the above assessment, but it seems to be the prevailing attitude in many places. :tongue_smilie:

I find it kind of sad that nowadays "christian" means fundamentalist or creationist. I recall when I was a kid the "conservative ones" where the Catholics, now they'd be considered flaming liberals. :lol:

I myself am christian, a scientist (which means yes, I believe evolution is undeniable), and a mother of three. I believe studying and understanding the beliefs of people like and unlike me is important to understanding history. I prefer history to view itself thru the lens of the subject, not revised to match with someone else's ideas of good and evil.

I'm very excited to be transferring my 7yo fully over to homeschooling in Dec (she has been "schooled at home for 2.5yrs; is 2+ years ahead in her LA and Math), and am obsessively scrutinizing curriculum I choose, knowing from now on I can't whine and moan about someone else's choices. :D I also am HSing a 5yo (kindie) and have a 2yo running amuck.

So far, I'm planning on using Math Mammoth, SingSong Latin, and start piano lessons, and am honing down on the science and history (the tough subjects for secular curriculum -- Suggestions??). I'm planning to take a break from grammar (she's so far ahead and I'd like my little perfectionist to find her voice and write and read prolifically instead).

Since this thread has been recently revived, and since I'm a new poster, I'll chime in.

I'm a former Cradle Catholic turned atheist. When I was growing up, Catholics were Democrats. Now it seems Catholic Democrats are condemned to hell. I thought a previous poster's comments about the Catholics being conservative was interesting since I had the opposite experience. But I grew up in the 60's, and since the Catholic Kennedys were all Democrats, so were all of the other Catholics we knew.

When I first let go of Christian beliefs, I tried on a few others -- pantheism, paganism, new age. But I realized that once I quit believing one type of religion, I couldn't grab on to ANY religion. So, I'm a full fledged atheist. So is ds. Dh is more agnostic. I think he doesn't want to let go of the cultural aspects of belief.