Menu

GUS/Secular Roll Call

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Secular homeschooler of our only child, dd(13) here. Molly went to public school until April of her 2nd grade year. We use a mix of curriculum here, all secular. This past school year, which was her 7th grade year included:

Pre-Algebra (Aufmann, Barker, Lockwood)

Lightning Literature

Analytic Grammar

Cambridge Latin Second Course

Joy Hakim's The History of US (books 1-5)

Prentice Hall Science Explorer

Looking forward to hearing from other secular homeschoolers!

astrid

Our lineup for next year looks like this:

MCT Grammar Voyage, Essay Voyage, Caesar's English (finishing I and starting II), and World of Poetry

Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra (not precisely secular, but secular enough)

PLATO Learning Science (Earth & Space, Life Science)

Lively Latin (just getting started)

A homebrew of history (finishing ancients: Asia and New World, then starting middle ages) w/ History: The Definitive Visual Guide as a spine

Logic Liftoff

Secular here too.

Even though we are Christians faith wise we school from a secular viewpoint with secular content. (was told this wee it couldn't be done and I am harming my kids by not teaching them with Christian based materials)

Secular here ... I have my own eclectic spiritual beliefs, but our homeschooling is secular. :) We have the following lined up for next year:

LfC A

WWE, FLL, MCT Island, AAS

Singapore Math, Miquon, Life of Fred: Fractions

SOTW Vol. 1/H.O. Ancient Times

US History using Betsy Maestro books & Liberty's Kids

Artistic Pursuits

I will probably continue to read to the boys from the DK Children's Bible we have. Though we don't do church, and I'm the only one in the family with any type of spiritual beliefs, we do feel strongly that they need to know the Bible to understand much of Western history, art, and literature (not to mention many present day references, even in music).

Scientific Pantheists here, home schooling from an atheistic-with-a-hint-of-neo-Paganism perspective :D

Is it necessary for me to speak up in this thread, :)

Probably not ;) but I have to say I love your siggy.

Secular here too.

Even though we are Christians faith wise we school from a secular viewpoint with secular content. (was told this week it couldn't be done and I am harming my kids by not teaching them with Christian based materials)

Interesting. I don't see why it can't be done if that's what you decide to do. May I ask, are you avoiding Christian materials because you just didn't like them, or are you trying to keep schooling separate from religion, or what?

(Of course they are too young to take a religious stance, but I think they are GUSes because they think the universe revolves around them. :lol:

:lol: (And you're channeling Dawkins there)

Our homeschooling will be secular. We are a mixed-faith family, but neither dh nor I were very religious to begin with. Sort of both agnostic, but too intertwined with family traditions (Jewish and Christian) to give up the labels.

I think that makes you Cultural Christians/Jews, doesn't it? I do not in any way subscribe to Christian beliefs, but I still consider myself a cultural Christian, since I come from a line of people who were almost all brought up in Christianized cultures.

Edited by Hotdrink

Secular homeschooler here with 3 students: DS12, DD7, and DU80 (DH's 80 yo mildly retarded/autistic uncle who recently decided to join our homeschool so he could finally get his HS diploma :001_wub: )

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno
typo

Secular homeschooler here with 3 students: DS12, DD7, and DU80 (DH's 80 yo mildy retarded/autistic uncle who recently decided to join our homeschool so he could finally get his HS diploma :001_wub: )

That is super kewl :001_smile:

Scientific Pantheists here
I've been a pantheist since age 10 or 11, though I didn't have that word for it until about age 15 when my uncle told me that's what I was describing. (I was influenced by Heidegger and Einstein.) I pretended to be a Christian, tried to convince myself more than anyone else. After a lifelong struggle (I'm 42) to fit my thoughts into any sort of Christian model, I quit. Shoulda just listened to my father, one of the best people I've ever known...and he was an atheist. But mom had the scarier stories....

Pantheism is about as close as I can come to believing in any sort of god, but I see it as an acknowledgment of the fantastic, awe-inspiring beauty of this universe and the tiny little place we occupy in it, not any recognition of the supernatural. So because of this I feel pretty comfortable calling myself an atheist as well. Because labels don't fit many people well, I'd eschew them if it weren't for their convenience.

We're raising our three children with two central questions: 1) How can I alleviate your suffering? and 2) Does that make any sense? Oh, and we are all science and sci-fi junkies.

"There is

in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality". -- Richard Dawkins

Oh, and

. And Doctor Who. Gotta get the important stuff out there. :D Edited by Geek

I've been having sort of a crisis of faith lately. Although I (probably still) identify as a Christian, we are homeschooling secularly. I'm glad to see so many secular homeschoolers on this board. I about started a brawl (accidentally) on another homeschooling board when I asked for recommendations for a secular character study. :lol:

II about started a brawl (accidentally) on another homeschooling board when I asked for recommendations for a secular character study. :lol:
:tongue_smilie:

I don't really subscribe to a label, but I'm thinking I sit somewhere between atheist and pagan.

You know, you can be both ;) A lot of pagans are atheists.

I about started a brawl (accidentally) on another homeschooling board when I asked for recommendations for a secular character study. :lol:

Huh? Secular people don't have characters? :001_huh:

:lol:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Didn't someone on here use the term apatheism? That pretty much sums me up.

I can't even say that.

I just don't have the belief gene. Not there. Can't do it. Even when I was a kid and my parents took me to church... and nothing. FWIW, I don't believe in fairies or homeopathy either. :tongue_smilie:

Most of it is in my sig, but here goes again...

Non-deist (read: atheist, if you like) witch, married to the pagan farmer of my dreams, homeschooling one fabulously free-thinking son.

Secular here too.

Even though we are Christians faith wise we school from a secular viewpoint with secular content. (was told this week it couldn't be done and I am harming my kids by not teaching them with Christian based materials)

:iagree: That's us, too!

Interesting. I don't see why it can't be done if that's what you decide to do. May I ask, are you avoiding Christian materials because you just didn't like them, or are you trying to keep schooling separate from religion, or what?

Not keeping them separate for separate sake, we do use scriptures for memory work and our history/science discussions often get into belief systems and why we believe what we do.

We are not a mainstream Christian denomination and I just find it easier to add in what we believe when it's relevant than to cut out or unteach things we don't believe.:D

I can't even say that.

I just don't have the belief gene. Not there. Can't do it. Even when I was a kid and my parents took me to church... and nothing. FWIW, I don't believe in fairies or homeopathy either. :tongue_smilie:

I think I've just had some sort of revelation. I want to believe in fairies and homeopathy. :D

I don't know if I have the belief gene or not. Don't care. I used to say I was an apathetic agnostic, but I'm not dedicated enough to agnostism. I just don't care (and I realize that sounds so angry; it's not, just...apathetic).

But just when I begin to feel too jaded and cynical, I shall think of the fairies.

But just when I begin to feel too jaded and cynical, I shall think of the fairies.

*looks around furtively*

pixies

Now go on yer way, and when they ask, it wasn't me as told yer. Unnerstand?