Menu

GUS/Secular Roll Call

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure exactly where I stand...but I'm having to do a lot of tweaking/dumping christian curriculum...de-religifying my kids...and yesterday I bought..."The hedge witch"....and "the catholic home."

So guess I'm a bit of an explorer ;) Or just confused ;)

I'm and atheist, my dh is undecided and my kids haven't shown any signs of what they believe yet. We've always homeschooled secularly.

Our line up next year includes

11yr old boy

GWG 6

IEW SWI A

WWE 2 or 3

AAS

Horizons 5 (I haven't really looked for religious reference in this but he liked the colorful pages and TT was just not doing it for him anymore, if there is religious reference we'll just ignore)

REAL Science Odyssey (a little from all 3 books that we didn't cover over the last 3 years)

Complete book of Geography

American Revolution recap ala mom, then back to History Odyssey to wrap up EMT and the on to MT

8.5 yr old girl

McRuffy LA finish 2 and start 3

McRuffy Math finish 2 and start 3

REAL Science Odyssey (a little from all 3 books that we didn't cover over the last 3 years)

Complete book of Geography

American Revolution recap ala mom, then back to History Odyssey to wrap up EMT and the on to MT

5 yr old boy (he'll be 5 on the 25th of July)

McRuffy LA K

McRUffy Math K

McRuffy Science K

Maybe a little meet the masters or How to teach art to children thrown in from time to time.

Guest Jenai

Checking in! :)

Non-religious, pagan-ish, randomly spiritual, secular mummy... Beginning to homeschool my 5 1/2 year old son this year.

Hi! :seeya:

Secular homeschooler, one child by design, pragmatist when it comes to politics (big, small, medium, I just want it to work).

As for the religious thing:

Dh - alternates days between egoist and Pastafarian (he likes the beer volcano)

Ds - considered opinion after finishing our study of ancient history 'I believe in god. All of them.'

me - depends on what mood strikes me, mostly I just make it up as I go

Another non-religious secular homeschooler here! Our kids ages are in my sig. As far as curriculum we have only been homeschooling since the beginning of the year so we're still experimenting and making it up as we go. We are very uncomfortable with taking a pre-packaged solution and teaching our kids only based on what that group that developed the curriculum decided to cover, with the ideological slant that they decided to impose on the information (for example, what they are doing with the new TX curriculum standards). Thankfully TX homeschool laws are so loose that just having SOMETHING that we teach the kids in each subject is following the law. We've been working mostly on fine tuning our 'core' skills (Reading, Writing and Arithmetic) and using literature based learning + research for things like social studies and science.

Okay, I'll chime in here. Secular homeschooler. I'm a cradle Catholic and still attend the Catholic Church with my family. It is firmly ingrained in my culture and tradition, however, theologically speaking, I am not a Christian. Tried it for years, even forced it at times, and finally realized I was going to end up in the loony bin if I kept up the pretense. My dh is somewhere on the edge of Christianity (cradle Catholic, too). He just doesn't get all that worked up over religion like I do. My oldest tends towards a Buddhist philosophy and my second oldest is just figuring out what is going to work for her. My younger three are also free to find their own spiritual paths. Because of what I went through, I will never force a religion on them; they are exposed to Catholicism, but as they get older I also openly discuss with them my own evolving beliefs. I cannot lie nor pretend to be other than what I am.

I dislike labels, however, if someone asks I will say I'm a panentheist (based on my very limited understanding and reading Matthew Fox), but then I find myself forced into that definition which I don't find comfortable.

Wow! I feel like I just came out of the closet.

:seeya:

We're a Unitarian-Universalist family, secular and humanist in our homeschooling style and skeptical and materialist in our understanding of how the world works.

So we don't believe in hell or homeopathy, which tends to leave us out on both sides. ;)

I'm an agnostic Jew, DH is agnostic and unaffiliated, we're raising the kids as Jewish.

We're at the beginning of our homeschool journey (oldest is 5) but emphatically secular. However, we are moving next year from NYC to the Bible Belt and I am wondering and worrying about how this is all going to shake out.

Oh, and I so wish I believed in homeopathy! It would be so much more convenient.

That made me LOL because it reminded of when my eldest DD was about 5 and my Scout-Leader-extraordinaire/ God-believing brother-in-law showed my daughter the scout badge for believing in God. He then asked her if she believed in God; her answer, "Yes! Of course, Thor the thunder god". :D I don't think that was really the answer he was looking for :svengo:

Oh, count me in as secular too :001_smile:

this one reminds of a time when someone asked me if I believed in God and my reply was "which one?"

OMG this is TOTALLY US. (well, except the military thing! :D)

Secular-- check

Liberal -- check

homeschooler-- check

only child by design-- check

astrid

:iagree:

I about started a brawl (accidentally) on another homeschooling board when I asked for recommendations for a secular character study. :lol:

Did you find anything good for secular character study? :D

HEY!!!!

Did you guys all fill out your info on the American Secular Homeschoolers Geographic Survey thing???

I'd posted a thread about it the other day but not sure if all of you saw it. Deborah at "Secular Homeschooling Magazine" is trying to do a geographical survey.

Go here if you haven't already:

http://www.madeditor.com/2010/06/american-secular-homeschoolers.html

And either leave a comment, or send her an email, letting her know your city/state and what sort of area you live in (urban, suburban, rural).

Does anyone read that magazine by the way? If not, you should, it's a great magazine! And it's SECULAR! In case you couldn't tell by its title haha. (And, hey, if you do already subscribe, the "Preschool Or Not" article in the current issue was by me- let me know what you thought)! :D

-Nance

We're a secular, homeschooling family here. RegularDad and I come from a very long line of lapsed and semi-lapsed Catholic, and we do have our girls enrolled in CCD classes, but it's more of a peace-keeping within the family type of formality than anything else. I talk to my girls frequently about having respect for all faiths, and they're quick to understand the importance of that.

My sister is a Hindu, some of our best friends are pagan, Jewish, atheist, whatever. The girls cannot imagine a god that would exclude so many. It's one of those mysteries that they have come to accept. I won't insist that they stay in the Church when they grow up. In fact, it's entirely possible that at some point in their lives, the girls will come to me and yell: "The Church is WRONG! I'm going to India to join an ashram!"

If and when that day happens, I will say to myself: "Gee... I guess I raised 'em right after all."

:)

:iagree:Not to mention that some of the most "religious" people are also some of the most immoral.
;)

What I suppose was going through my mind was that if our religious culture is not what informs our morality, what does? Is it innate? If so, why does a culture's morality, as in what is or is not acceptable, change over history, or why do different cultures have different moral codes?
Steven Pinker's "The Moral Instinct", published in the NY Times and outlining research that has demonstrated that there is a universal morality, that people will react similarly regardless of culture, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack), socioeconomic status, etc.

That blog I linked upthread has a lot of interesting essays on this. I find Matt McCormick to have the most cogent and easily accessible blogger arguments re: morality and religion/atheism. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'll just point you to him.

Can't be Moral Without God? Wrong.

The Illusion of Moral Guidance from God

Nature Gives us Morality, not God.

My sister is a Hindu, some of our best friends are pagan, Jewish, atheist, whatever. The girls cannot imagine a god that would exclude so many. It's one of those mysteries that they have come to accept. I won't insist that they stay in the Church when they grow up. In fact, it's entirely possible that at some point in their lives, the girls will come to me and yell: "The Church is WRONG! I'm going to India to join an ashram!"

If and when that day happens, I will say to myself: "Gee... I guess I raised 'em right after all."

:)

I can so relate to this. My 8yo daughter is beginning to reject her Catholicism in a pretty sensible fashion for such a young girl. However, she has been enamored of Hinduism ever since I showed the kids a series of kid-friendly videos about various world religions. Her rationale? "Reincarnation is a nice idea, and they have better stories." :laugh:

Thought provoking topic - thank you.

My husband and I are Christians. We both have ministers in our families. That said, I homeschool secularly with just a few items such as IEW, SOTW and, this year, Winter's Promise American Crossing (probably not the Bible Study). My science is always from a secular background (PH Science Explorer.)

I have had a very hard time fitting into the homeschool community where we live. We were members of a Christian Homeschool Co-op when we first started, but as my children said "You don't play well with them, Mommy".

My reason for homeschooling is not religious based. In fact, one of the reasons I like homeschooling is that we are able to give our children ALL sides of a discussion - not just from a Christian, Conservative view and not just from a Public School, Liberal view. (There are people on the far liberal-left that make my hair stand on end and there are people on the far religious-right that genuinely scare me - personal viewpoint).

My mission in homeschooling my children is to raise well-educated children who can think for themselves. I try to discuss both sides of the controversal issues and learn about as many religions in the world that we can. When we see things from all sides, then we can make educated choices on our own- again - a personal viewpoint.

Woo hoo! More GUS references! :lol

I am a pantheist (or panentheist -- not quite committed to either side of the differences) science-loving humanist Pagan witch. (Gotta love labels!) I regularly talk to Jesus, Mother Earth, Mary, Athena, the angels and the faeries, and typically address my prayers to GUS. I believe in homeopathy and flower essences, largely because I can read the energy patterns and have seen first hand how these things work.

In addition to your regular grammar, math and history, we also like to study herbs and crystals, make potions, practice Reiki on each other (my 5 yo is great at this!), practice gratitude and positive affirmations, make vision boards, and celebrate the earth. :D

I run a forum for conscious creators and people into all that woo-woo stuff mentioned above. This is the place where the term GUS was born. :D If anyone is interested, please do feel free to drop by! http://wisewaysofwomen.com

Edited by MelanieM

That made me LOL because it reminded of when my eldest DD was about 5 and my Scout-Leader-extraordinaire/ God-believing brother-in-law showed my daughter the scout badge for believing in God. He then asked her if she believed in God; her answer, "Yes! Of course, Thor the thunder god". :D I don't think that was really the answer he was looking for :svengo:

Oh, count me in as secular too :001_smile:

:lol: Awesome does not even begin to describe this! You have the greatest kid!

My mission in homeschooling my children is to raise well-educated children who can think for themselves. I try to discuss both sides of the controversal issues and learn about as many religions in the world that we can. When we see things from all sides, then we can make educated choices on our own- again - a personal viewpoint.

Beautifully stated. My approach (and goal) is the same.

I wrote this last night. I think that it sorta fits with this thread (and yes, it is a cross-post. I just posted it on the 'what's your family mission statement' thread)

Circle the Wagons

You were wrong, Friend, it IS time to circle the wagons.

There comes a time when a person figures out that there are those who would seek to hurt or even destroy the very fiber of what has been created. For me, that day is today.

Some groups have a Statement of Faith, for us, let’s call it a Statement of Belief. There are some basic beliefs that I have come to realize. They are as follows:

If you only wish to align yourself with those who believe exactly as you do, we are probably not going to be close friends.

If you only want people who look, live, think, talk and act exactly like what you are used to be around your children, then we probably won’t get along too well.

If you like spending your time trying to keep atheists, agnostics, Pagans, anyone who has a religion unlike yours or no religion at all, or homosexual, bisexual, transsexual from being around your children then we don’t have a lot in common. In fact, if you believe in such a way then our goals are actually at odds as I wish to expose my children to the beautiful, diverse society we enjoy rather than sequester them in a closet of “only like usâ€.

I have three rather impressionable minds here right now: a pre-schooler, a kindergartner and a high schooler. I simply cannot and WILL not allow their minds to be tainted with the evil of hate and bigotry.

I wrote this last night. I think that it sorta fits with this thread (and yes, it is a cross-post. I just posted it on the 'what's your family mission statement' thread)

Circle the Wagons

There comes a time when a person figures out that there are those who would seek to hurt or even destroy the very fiber of what has been created. For me, that day is today.

Some groups have a Statement of Faith, for us, let’s call it a Statement of Belief. There are some basic beliefs that I have come to realize. They are as follows:

If you only wish to align yourself with those who believe exactly as you do, we are probably not going to be close friends.

If you only want people who look, live, think, talk and act exactly like what you are used to be around your children, then we probably won’t get along too well.

If you like spending your time trying to keep atheists, agnostics, Pagans, anyone who has a religion unlike yours or no religion at all, or homosexual, bisexual, transsexual from being around your children then we don’t have a lot in common. In fact, if you believe in such a way then our goals are actually at odds as I wish to expose my children to the beautiful, diverse society we enjoy rather than sequester them in a closet of “only like usâ€.

I have three rather impressionable minds here right now: a pre-schooler, a kindergartner and a high schooler. I simply cannot and WILL not allow their minds to be tainted with the evil of hate and bigotry.

LOVE this!!

:laugh:

My girls would totally agree!

OMG you have the funniest sig line I have seen in ages and ages.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My nerdy family just had a good laugh over it. Even my dry husband cracked a smile.

OMG this is TOTALLY US. (well, except the military thing! :D)

Secular-- check

Liberal -- check

homeschooler-- check

only child by design-- check

astrid

Check

Check

Check

and check here, too. :001_smile:

Circle the Wagons

If you like spending your time trying to keep atheists, agnostics, Pagans, anyone who has a religion unlike yours or no religion at all, or homosexual, bisexual, transsexual from being around your children then we don’t have a lot in common. In fact, if you believe in such a way then our goals are actually at odds as I wish to expose my children to the beautiful, diverse society we enjoy rather than sequester them in a closet of “only like us”.

I like what you wrote but it brings up a question I've been struggling with for some time. There have been several times when a family didn't want their children interacting with mine or in my house for reasons that were very important to them - always connected with their religion and values. I remember feeling hurt and angry when it happened.

I now find myself in the same position. My girls are friends with the children of some families who have beliefs and values that I don't share. In fact, they are the opposite of what I want my children to learn. Do I limit contact altogether or just not let them go to their houses? Do I just keep my ears open and try to counter what they might hear? My almost 13 yr old dd I don't worry about so much since we discuss these things frequently, but even at that, she's come home sometimes with comments that I considered bigoted. My youngest two are very impressionable, though.

Until now I've never considered limiting friendships because of different religious beliefs or values, and I'm sort of shocked at myself for even thinking about it.

And this should probably be a different thread.

I like what you wrote but it brings up a question I've been struggling with for some time. There have been several times when a family didn't want their children interacting with mine or in my house for reasons that were very important to them - always connected with their religion and values. I remember feeling hurt and angry when it happened.

I now find myself in the same position. My girls are friends with the children of some families who have beliefs and values that I don't share. In fact, they are the opposite of what I want my children to learn. Do I limit contact altogether or just not let them go to their houses? Do I just keep my ears open and try to counter what they might hear? My almost 13 yr old dd I don't worry about so much since we discuss these things frequently, but even at that, she's come home sometimes with comments that I considered bigoted. My youngest two are very impressionable, though.

Until now I've never considered limiting friendships because of different religious beliefs or values, and I'm sort of shocked at myself for even thinking about it.

Not to hijack, but, bigotry is a bright neon line in the sand for me. Personally, I would not knowingly allow my kids to be influenced by people who are bigoted.

I would enjoy a thread on this topic. It's timely for me.

I have not yet found a label that fits me :lol: But secular, I am! :bigear:

Me, too!

I don't think I've mentioned it on these boards, but add another atheist to this group. I figure it's safe to say that this deep in this thread.

Isn't it awful to feel like you have to hide that fact?! I feel like a criminal sometimes, simply because I don't believe in the Christian God.