Menu

Check out my new school table!

I have a new hobby... woodworking! I have wanted to make things for years, but I was always afraid to use power tools. Well this year for my birthday, I decided I was going to conquer that fear and start building. My first project was a picnic table for my kids. This school table is my second. My oldest daughter worked on it with me. It was her first time ever using my tools as well. It was so much fun! I haven't finished it yet. I plan to stain the top and paint the bottom. I haven't decided my colors yet.

4640415447_0811482e34.jpg

4641037508_93e0a64866.jpg

I was inspired by this table from Land of Nod...

ElementaryTable_FAM_0110?$FP$

I have been learning from www.knock-offwood.com . This is also where I got the plans for my table. I am so excited I wanted to share with everyone.

Anybody have any suggestions for finish colors?

Edited by Michelle My Bell

Wow, I can't believe you did this! It's amazing!!! It looks just like the one in the catalog... fantastic job! You and your dd have some serious talent!

I am SO impressed. I've also always wanted to try woodwork, and have also held back because of power-tool-anxiety. We're moving house soon, and I will have a schoolroom to furnish, so maybe now's the time to start!

WOW. Great job Michelle. I'll have to show this to dh. Then again maybe not......he may want to buy some power tools. He's been building ds a tree house without the help of major tools.

I have a new hobby... woodworking! I have wanted to make things for years, but I was always afraid to use power tools. Well this year for my birthday, I decided I was going to conquer that fear and start building. My first project was a picnic table for my kids. This school table is my second. My oldest daughter worked on it with me. It was her first time ever using my tools as well. It was so much fun! I haven't finished it yet. I plan to stain the top and paint the bottom. I haven't decided my colors yet.

4640415447_0811482e34.jpg

4641037508_93e0a64866.jpg

I was inspired by this table from Land of Nod...

ElementaryTable_FAM_0110?$FP$

I have been learning from www.knock-offwood.com . This is also where I got the plans for my table. I am so excited I wanted to share with everyone.

I have a new hobby... woodworking!

That is beautiful! That must have been fun to work on that with your dd.

Thanks SO MUCH for the website link!!

I LOVE that table, and I think I'm going to build one myself--eventually. Right now, I desperately NEED some patio furniture, and think my sons and I must build that bar set featured on their homepage first. There is nowhere to sit on our deck. (So do you have pics of the picnic table?)

Their projects remind of of a book I bought years ago about building various project for your home and yard with standard lumber and basic tools.

I see a new drill press in my future (for starters!). :D

The table you built is awesome. You should be so proud of yourself. My husband is good a building things he built my daughter the doll house bookcase that looks like the one from Pottery Barn Kids. She loves it. I am sure this will become a treasured family piece that you can even use for your grandkids.

Michelle, you did a lovely job! Dh and I build a lot, but I'm always the "helper"--you rock!

We have used Minwax Polyshades for quite a bit of our furniture over the years, as it combines stain and a very nice, durable urethane finish. It's a bit touchy to work with: you'll want to work where it is well-ventilated, but not windy (blowing dust and junk into the wet coat). Plan on three or four coats to build up the color and durability of the finish. You can sand it out if something gets in your finish between coats with fine (400 or 600 grit) sandpaper. Before you start and between each coat, gently wipe the project down with tack cloth to get any dust off the surface.

I, too, like a painted bottom, stained top look, as even oil-based (more durable) paint is a bit easier to work with.

Have fun finishing it up!

Love the table, Love Ana's site. Have been looking at her site for a few months. If I just wasn't so afraid of the saw....

Re: paint... I'm currently into black painted furniture. I like the paint and primer from Behr at HD. I love, love, love Miniwax's "wipe on" poly.

Edited by cjbeach

Excellent job Michelle! I too have always wanted to get into woodworking and have many ideas and projects I'd like to do. My dh is not the least bit handy, god bless him, so I'm on my own there. My kid's actually have a woodshop in the basement, however with the oldest being 10, no power tools yet. We also go to the Lowes/Home Depot Kid's workshops, but I want a bigger project. Now that they are getting older, I can find time to do this type of stuff.

I did bookmark the site you linked, but did you find any other sites or books helpful along the way? What tools are basics to have on hand, stick with any brands? How long did it take you to make that table?

Good for you, thanks for sharing and inspiring others. :bigear:

Honestly? Most books/sites I find were far to techincal for me and confusing. Following Ana's plans is really easy. When I decided to get into this, I bought a bunch of refurbished tools from Tool King online. Ana had a list of recommended tools. I ended up getting:

Porter-Cable CFNBNS Factory Reconditioned 3-Nailer & Compressor Combo Kit

4200033$279.99

Ordered: 1

Shipped: 1

$279.99

DeWalt DW317K Factory Reconditioned Variable-Speed Compact Jig Saw Kit

2200741$59.55

$59.55

DeWalt DW716 Factory Reconditioned 12-inch Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw

2200644$299.99

$299.99

DeWalt D26451K Factory Reconditioned 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander

2200250$49.55

$49.55

Johnson 3724 24" Top-Read Aluminum Level

21500025$14.99

$14.99

Johnson RAS-1 7 Inch Alum Rafter Angle Square w/Blue Book

21500092$7.99

$7.99

Irwin 2031315DS 100-Foot Strait-Line Mach6 Chalk Reel and Chalk Combo Pack

4900056$9.99

$9.99

Makita 5007F Factory Reconditioned 7-1/4-inch Circular Saw

13600864$89.99

$89.99

I had the chance to get all of this at once and I went for it. We figured these tools would be really helpful for a lot of things and they have. My favorite tools are the Miter Saw, Orbital Sander and the Jig Saw. Honestly the only tools that still intimidates me is the circular saw. I can't handle that one as well as I would like.

The picnic table that I built took me 1 evening to cut & build. Longer to paint. It cost me about 15.00 in wood.

The school table I made was about $40 in wood and took me about 5-6 hours to make. What really excites me is that the one land of nod sells is $259.00. My husband is all over me to start selling these things. I would like to, but I feel nuts asking people if they want to buy one. I do think that if I could recoup the cost of the tools, that would be great! LOL

Let me just say that if any of you are intersted in woodworking, it is A LOT easier than I expected. It all boiled down to just putting on the safety glasses and going for it. I am big on safety so I have a friend I can ask questions to. One more thing I have found REALLY helpful was youtube. Before I used my jig saw for the first time, I went to youtube and just punched in the name of my jig saw. A bunch of video's popped up showing me how it works, how to use it, how to make certain cuts, etc... Youtube is excellent for this.

Thanks so much for everyone's kind words. I am even more inspired to try hard things!