Menu

What languages are your children studying for high school credit?

What languages for high school credit?  

1. 1. What languages for high school credit?

• Spanish
    • French
    • German
    • Italian
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Other

We will do at least 2 years of spanish. But, dd really, really wants sign language. With the help of local experts, we've put together a curriculum that teaches the grammar as well as the vocabulary. But, not all colleges recognize sign language as a language credit. So, I've told her she must get 2 credits of spanish. I'm hoping for a 3rd via a co-op.

We will do Latin with Wheelock's Latin and Greek with NT Greek for Beginners in high school. My oldest son just expressed an interest in Spanish, so he will do that foreign language as well. I'll probably do 2 years of Spanish in case Latin and/or Koine Greek are not accepted to meet the foreign language requirement at the college of our choice.

We will do at least 2 years of spanish. But, dd really, really wants sign language. With the help of local experts, we've put together a curriculum that teaches the grammar as well as the vocabulary. But, not all colleges recognize sign language as a language credit. So, I've told her she must get 2 credits of spanish. I'm hoping for a 3rd via a co-op.

This sounds very interesting.. I would love to hear more about this. My SIL is deaf and the children and I are learning her sign language (we are in Mexico) and will be doing a local class provided for families of deaf people, but it is very different from ASL and she has told me she is interested in learning about ASL.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.:D

Danielle

In addition to Spanish (Destinos and Pimsleur) and French (French in Action, Pimsleur), we're also doing some ASL (Billy Seago's ASL tapes -- can't remember the title) and Latin (Cambridge Latin). I was hoping for Greek and Chinese, but no one was interested. One kid also has her heart set on Russian, but it hasn't happened yet.

The senior has done one year of Latin, 3 of Spanish (give or take), 3 semesters of college ASL, and one semester of college French. Some kids just like languages.

I suspect most colleges will accept Latin or ASL as a high school language, although there are some that won't accept either as a college language. During our application adventures, we discovered that most colleges, although they might have strict rules against it as a college language, were happy to accept it for the high school language. The only problem that I would see with using Latin or ASL is that you wouldn't be able to place into a class in it in college and get out of a few semesters of the college language credit (if the student even ends up at a school that still has that requirement. There are a few, at least, leaving that behind.)

This sounds very interesting.. I would love to hear more about this. My SIL is deaf and the children and I are learning her sign language (we are in Mexico) and will be doing a local class provided for families of deaf people, but it is very different from ASL and she has told me she is interested in learning about ASL.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.:D

Danielle

ASL resources:

Beginning ASL VideoCourse

TITLE: Beginning ASL VideoCourse

WITH: Billy Seago and the Bravo Family

It's really expensive, though. We managed to get it from the library. That might not be an option where you are.

My daughter is using Signing Naturally in her college class. It wouldn't work for self study. There's no glossary, and although the signs are introduced in the book, they are NEVER translated. You can guess, but you're likely to be wrong. It's not an immersion course, it just assumes you'll have a teacher, so you'll never figure a lot of it out unless you have someone to tell you what the signs are.

Here's an ASL dictionary:

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

It won't help you figure out the Signing Naturally book , though, because you have to know the word in English to look it up (at least, as far as I can tell).

Even the sign language in the US and Australia are very different. I've been told that ASL is actually closer to the sign language in France than it is to the one in Australia.

Even the sign language in the US and Australia are very different. I've been told that ASL is actually closer to the sign language in France than it is to the one in Australia.

This is because ASL is derived from French sign (long ago...) You're right about some colleges not accepting ASL as a college language, and it probably depends on where the college is located. Here, there is a deaf school that uses sign, so it's only natural sign would be acceptable (the community college even has a two year interpreter program).

My oldest ds did French and German. Then he went to school and learned Spanish by immersion (no Spanish class available, but lots of native Spanish speakers). Now he's a freshman in College, majoring in Spanish. He tested out of First Year Spanish, so is taking Second Year Spanish, which is good to give him the grammar he didn't learn when learning by immersion.

My next ds did Greek and some Spanish. He didn't get enough Spanish done to count as a credit though, sad to say.

My dd wants to do just Spanish right now, so she'll probably do 3 years of it. She did ASL last year (she did signing when she was a baby as well), and was doing pretty well. I was hoping she'd continue, but she didn't want to do it any more.

Edited by Brindee
Added college info. about oldest son

Can't believe I forgot to list Latin!

That surprised me a bit.

My son will finish high school with Latin II, III, Intro Latin Lit and AP Latin (Vergil) on his transcript as well as two and a half years of French (French in Action).

When he visited a college this past week, he sat in a Greek class. I wonder if that is in his future... I suspect that he'll do more Latin in his college years ahead.

Jane

Ds did:

Latin II-IV: using Oxford Latin because it was accessible. He did the equivalent of Latin I in middle school using Wilson/Craig materials.

French I-III: using Le Francais Facile for yr 1, BJU for yr 2, and Breaking the Barrier for yr 3 (plus what little I remember from my French minor and my 6 weeks in France back in college!)

Dd is so far following a similar path, finishing Latin II with Oxford now, and French I using Breaking the Barrier. But we'll see how it goes. It's hard to do 2 languages at once, and Latin III was a lot of work. So Ds's French II was actually done over a period of 2 years.

English :D, Hebrew and classics.

They need a second "world language", though. Classics are, well, classics; but while one could argue that modern Hebrew has more or less successfully become a Jewish lingua franca, it's still a language very much tied to a people of a specific cultural and religious heritage and it's definitely not in broader use. One cannot "profit" out of the knowledge of Hebrew the same way one can profit out of the knowledge of, say, French or German - Hebrew is learned for "sentimental" rather than for "practical" reasons (even if it's indeed very practical for a number of Jews that are somehow related to or have some business with Israel, our family included), and while we would never cut on it, it basically means that my girls are left with a single foreign language that qualifies as a "big", "world" language for literature, science, communication with the world (as opposed to communication with what's, after all, a rather closed society) - and that's English (Italian being our "true" native language, English is a sort of an "adopted child" for them since they came here very young :D), i.e. a language that's the default in today's world.

In Jewish schools accross Europe, Hebrew is rarely taken as a "substitute" foreign language - usually it's studied in addition to the typical foreign language repertory of the country.

So, if in our circles the standards are pretty much "two big and culturally relevant modern foreign languages, one of which is English, plus classics" it means that my kids are actually missing one at the moment, no matter how language-y they are for the American context. And as they're formally enrolled in the "system", they'll probably have to "take" a second foreign language, or even if they won't "have" to, it will be such a de facto thing that kids take it (that's the case with the school for now) that they won't be willing to miss out on something that everybody is doing. So I guess that by the end of high school, for credit, French or German will have to be squeezed in too. :D

This is just a simple poll. If you choose other, please post and say what language. Thanks! ¡Gracias! Merci! Danke! etc...

DS is doing Latin and wants to do German and Italian.

DD is doing Italian, and she is interested in sign language and German.

My 11th grader is taking Japanese at the cc.

My 9th grader is self-studying right now for exposure to Spanish and will take Spanish at the cc starting in 11th grade.

My 6th grader wants to study Italian in high school. I will have to find some way to make it happen. The cc doesn't offer Italian, so I'll have to actually work at finding a way for her to do this.

Dd is doing Latin and Spanish. I don't think French exactly qualifies, as her dad is French and she's spoken it all her life, and started reading it shortly after learning to read in English. Her French isn't exactly native, though, because she didn't grow up in France.

She wants to finish Latin Prep 2 and 3, and then do SYRWTL Latin 3, and then just read Latin texts. I don't know how much real study there will be after SYRWTL Latin 3.

For Spanish, we're using the old Scott Foresman series of Voces y Vistas, Pasos y Puentes, and Arcos y Alamedas. I used to teach out of that series when I was working (a lifetime ago), and it seemed pretty good. When I found VyV at Goodwill, the course was set, lol. Dd seems to like it. It seems to work pretty well for her. I go right by the book; my Spanish isn't good enough for me to write my own program. I'm very upfront with my daughter on that; if a native speaker tells me I'm wrong about something, I always go with the native speaker, whether it's my friend Lilia with Spanish, or my husband or children with French.

When she finishes the series, she'll probably just read books in Spanish, and do some writing, if she feels like it. We'd like to send her to Spain next summer for a month of immersion. She may start college the fall of 2012, so I doubt she'll do an immersion experience that summer. And she wants to do pre-med, probably majoring in biochemistry, so I don't know that there will be time for any more immersion experiences.

She wants to make her life in the U.S., and it surely is helpful for anyone in health care in America to be able to communicate in Spanish. Plus, I really would feel guilty if she had finished homeschooling never having studied Spanish, since I used to be a Spanish teacher.

Funny, though, I think I may be getting that out of my system, as my boys don't seem to be interested in learning it, and I don't feel such pressure to try to force it on them. Getting old and worn, I guess, lol!:D

Fwiw, dd doesn't consider herself "a language person". That makes me laugh, because you wouldn't know it by her schedule. She may not love them, but she does them, and seems to enjoy them, or at least appreciate them.

I have a friend in Germany who has invited dd to come and stay with her anytime, but I just don't know if there will be time to add German to the mix. Dd really loves math and science (esp. science), and it just seems like any available time should go to her passions, not my convictions, lol.

Okay, way too long, but hopefully of interest in some way!:)

Spanish, Latin, Chinese, and French for sure.

Other possibilities--DS wants to add a language a year, but that's pretty unlikely, but still, here are other options:

-Arabic (next door neighbor has level 3 mastery, FSI)

-German (I can handle that one--good for DS' technical concetration)

-Russian (ditto)

-Japanese (not so sure about that one)

-Italian (easy after French and Spanish, plus there's lots of great Italian lit to read)

-Portuguese (also easy, useful, too)

-Ancient Greek

-Hebrew

-Hindi (again, not so sure about that one)

Yup. That's because when the US was looking for teachers of the Deaf, they went to England and were refused. So they went to France and got lucky :) We borrow a lot of signs from ASL, though, so dh can often pick up the gist of an ASL conversation, but not the details. I've not met a native ASL user so I don't know if they can do the same.

To answer the OP, in my dreams the kiddies will be continuing Arabic, starting French and maintaining Latin through a light reading course in high school. In 20 years I'll know what really happened...

Rosie- who thinks Auslan is much prettier than ASL. :tongue_smilie:

My oldest did French. He started because he was interested in WWII history and I knew French and didn't know German. The we moved to Belgium for his jr. and sr. year and he really got into French. While he knows Parisian French, he speaks Belgian French.

My other two are learning Spanish. Both of them have the primary reason that they both have a lot of trouble spelling and Spanish spelling is easier than English or French. Then the older one wants to be a prosecutor and Spanish is a helpful language with that. THe youngest wants to be an engineer and it really doesn't matter what language she takes as long as it counts for college.

Just to follow up on the sign language idea...... The only text I was required to get was The American Sign Language Phrase Book by Fant. It was explained to me that this text would meet the grammar requirement. We also have a dvd series that was recommended. It was not expensive, and I'm sorry I cannot recall the name. I'll look it up later....We have a couple books on vocabulary too.

Especially because I had just been thinking about Latin when I thought of posting the poll! that's what happens when you get interrupted all the time!

That's the beauty of the other category, though. It allows for anything you didn't think of, forgot or couldn't include because you can only include so many options.

Two-three years of Latin for everyone (usually start in 6th or 7th but DD, due to attending a private school where I taught, did not get it until 8th grade when I began homeschooling again so she had a credit of high school Latin with Henle curriculum).

DD (graduate) - Spanish

Ds 13 will take German

Ds 11 wants to study Danish (Dh's heritage is Danish)

Ds almost 10 - French (Yeah! Finally that pesky minor in college will actually come in handy.)

Faith