Menu

what state woudl you not live in for homeschooling reasons?

My dh says I'm making his job hunt very hard b/c I refuse to move to a state that isn't very home school friendly. Very as in no paperwork, reporting, or record keeping required. DH says that is hard for him and not neccessary b/c I actually happen to keep excellent records. But my POV is that those records are for ME and at my discretion, not a mandate.

Anyhow..

What state's do you personally think the best for home schooling and which the worst? And yes, I know of HSLDA map but that doesn't neccessarily give the whole picture or describe the "climate", iykwim?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois is EASY -- no reporting, no testing, no supervision, and no requirements other than a vague list of subjects that you should be teaching sometime between K and 12. Homeschools are private schools.

Now you can be hassled by local authorities, but not legally. And in southern Illinois, we are not particularly well-organized and don't always have the most to offer in support groups, activities and co-ops either. That varies widely. I live across from St. Louis, though, and it offers anything I am willing to drive to.

ETA: My DH tells me the same thing about moving too. He is kind of, sort of looking and there are no good options left for what he does here. And I told him I am only willing to move to Oklahoma or Texas! Must be a green state on the HSLDA map! :) I have gotten very spoiled with homeschooling in Illinois.

Edited by Asenik

I find Oregon law very easy to deal with.

1) One time notification of intent to homeschool

2) Standarized test after grades 3,5,8,10 -- turn in test scores ONLY if asked by ESD -- must score above 15% percentile

It isn't total freedom, but I can live with it.

I used to think I'd never want to go to certain states because of the laws (I'm from Texas!), but in time, I have decided that just because I didn't like the hoops didn't mean I couldn't meet them. I, however, would NOT want to be in a state that required a religious cover or probably ANY cover. And in the past, I would have had to refuse a state that required certain progress on standardized testing as my son was unable to meet even low level goals until recently. But I *could* homeschool about anywhere. I just wouldn't want to. I wouldn't make a decision on a job based on most regulations though. A form to the state, an occasional test, etc would be no big deal when considered against hubby being able to take care of us.

I have to put in a plug here for New Mexico! In addition to the great climate, spectacular scenery, friendly people, and FABULOUS food, here are the advantages of homeschooling in NM:

(1) Minimal requirements. The only real requirement is filing an annual Intent to Homeschool, which takes 2 minutes online, and which I would need to do anyway so I have proof for all the Educator Discounts (Borders, B&N, Scholastic, etc). No follow-up, no testing, no reporting.

(2) FREE COLLEGE! NM residents who graduate from High School here (including homeschool students) get up to 8 semesters of free tuition at state colleges and universities as long as they take at least 12 credits per semester and maintain a 2.5 GPA. The tuition grants are provided by the State Lottery and qualification is automatic if you meet the criteria (and it's NOT means tested). Homeschool students have to take the GED to get the scholarship, but not for admission to any of the colleges or uni's.

(3) Cheap Community College. NM has some of the least expensive CC tuition in the country; usually about $40/credit ($120 for a typical 3-credit course). They also have TONS of distance & online course options.

A relatively robust economy and fairly cheap housing are other bonuses to living here. (And did I mention the FOOD? :D )

Jackie

ETA: My DH tells me the same thing about moving too. He is kind of, sort of looking and there are no good options left for what he does here. And I told him I am only willing to move to Oklahoma or Texas! Must be a green state on the HSLDA map! :) I have gotten very spoiled with homeschooling in Illinois.

Yeah me too and that's what my dh is saying. We're in Oklahoma and I love, love, LOVE the freedom we have here.

I have to put in a plug here for New Mexico! In addition to the great climate, spectacular scenery, friendly people, and FABULOUS food, here are the advantages of homeschooling in NM:

(1) Minimal requirements. The only real requirement is filing an annual Intent to Homeschool, which takes 2 minutes online, and which I would need to do anyway so I have proof for all the Educator Discounts (Borders, B&N, Scholastic, etc). No follow-up, no testing, no reporting.

(2) FREE COLLEGE! NM residents who graduate from High School here (including homeschool students) get up to 8 semesters of free tuition at state colleges and universities as long as they take at least 12 credits per semester and maintain a 2.5 GPA. The tuition grants are provided by the State Lottery and qualification is automatic if you meet the criteria (and it's NOT means tested). Homeschool students have to take the GED to get the scholarship, but not for admission to any of the colleges or uni's.

(3) Cheap Community College. NM has some of the least expensive CC tuition in the country; usually about $40/credit ($120 for a typical 3-credit course). They also have TONS of distance & online course options.

A relatively robust economy and fairly cheap housing are other bonuses to living here. (And did I mention the FOOD? :D )

Jackie

wow. that does sound appealing. And I'll admit that one of the things I like about where I live is that there are many colleges and university options nearby or within 350 miles (approx a half day drive). So I'm a bit confused about the NM thing tho. Are the free 8 semesters a scholarship or an automatic open to everyone that meets the criteria thing? The GED thing might nix any value to it though. DH is adament that our kids deserve a diploma not a GED.

Any other opinions on states to avoid or flock to folks?

There is nowhere that I wouldn't be willing to go if my dh was job hunting. Yes, some states are harder, but none are impossible. No offense, but job hunting and providing for a family are high stress situations. I would focus on relieving as much of that stress as possible, not adding to it. Jmho,

Anyhow..

What state's do you personally think the best for home schooling and which the worst? And yes, I know of HSLDA map but that doesn't neccessarily give the whole picture or describe the "climate", iykwim?

Wisconsin is very easy. Each year, I fill out a vague form (how many kids, what district) and send it to the DPI. That's it. This is the first year they just sent the form to me without my having to request it.

As for the climate, you get nearly equal doses of all 4 seasons, and its rarely extreme (some Jan/Feb days get -20 or so, but not too many). Or did you mean the hs climate? :-) There are a lot of us.

There is nowhere that I wouldn't be willing to go if my dh was job hunting. Yes, some states are harder, but none are impossible.

I agree! We're in PA, and it's a piece of cake to homeschool here. Would I rather not have to do *anything* at all for the state?-- Sure. But I actually think it would quite unwise to turn down a job opportunity merely because of the homeschooling situation in PA. It is very, very easy, and very non-intrusive in practice. And our state is considered one of the very hardest! So there wouldn't be anywhere that I would have dh turn down a job to avoid.

ETA: If the OP or anyone else would like to know more details about homeschooling in PA, let me know and I'll post what we have to do each year.

wow. that does sound appealing. And I'll admit that one of the things I like about where I live is that there are many colleges and university options nearby or within 350 miles (approx a half day drive). So I'm a bit confused about the NM thing tho. Are the free 8 semesters a scholarship or an automatic open to everyone that meets the criteria thing? The GED thing might nix any value to it though. DH is adament that our kids deserve a diploma not a GED.

The Lottery Scholarships are given to everyone who qualifies for them (regardless of income), and they renew every semester as long as the student remains full-time (at least 12 credits) and maintains a 2.5 GPA ~ and if you transfer to another state college within NM, you still keep the scholarship. Student fees @ UNM run about $500/semester, so the total cost for 4 years @UNM would be under $5,000 including books (but not including living expenses, which are cheap here). If a student did an AA at a CC while living at home, and then transferred to a 4-yr school, it would be even cheaper.

At first I was ticked off about the GED requirement for homeschoolers (I even had a letter drafted to my State Representative asking that certain minimum ACT/SAT scores be accepted in lieu of the GED) ~ but then I realized I could use it to my advantage. Recipients of Lottery Scholarships are required to register at college in the next regular semester immediately following HS graduation (e.g if you graduate in Spring, you need to start college in the Fall). So if my son wanted to take a "gap year" for example, or do a few months of traveling, or whatever, he can still keep his scholarship eligibility as long as he doesn't take the GED until right before he wants to start college.

The other advantage is that he could do his entire Jr & Sr years of high school at the (cheap) CC, but not take the GED until he's ready to start at UNM, thus preserving all 8 semesters of free tuition for the more expensive university. Getting all the lower level core requirements out of the way at CC would allow him to concentrate on all the upper level science courses he will need as a double science major @ UNM.

BTW, my son will *not* be using the GED in lieu of a HS diploma; I will still give him a homeschool diploma and he will not list the GED on his application to UNM (NM state colleges and universities are forbidden by law from requiring GEDs for admission of homeschooled students), or on any other application (like grad school). The ONLY organization who will ever see the GED is the Lottery Scholarship fund.

Jackie

I would love to homeschool in NJ. All you have to do is NOTHING. No notice, no testing, no portfolio, no attendance sheet.

Dh works in NJ. We both grew up there, we see our doctors there, our family is there, and we love it there. We talk about moving back, but I don't know if we'll ever actually do it. Is it really worth it to pay higher state taxes, property taxes, housing costs and premium prices for just about everything else just to avoid hs paperwork? Probably not.

There is nowhere that I wouldn't be willing to go if my dh was job hunting. Yes, some states are harder, but none are impossible. No offense, but job hunting and providing for a family are high stress situations. I would focus on relieving as much of that stress as possible, not adding to it. Jmho,

:iagree:

I'm in TX, which you already know is easy, peasy.

But I might have to consider a move to NM!!!!!:D

As for the climate, you get nearly equal doses of all 4 seasons, and its rarely extreme (some Jan/Feb days get -20 or so, but not too many). Or did you mean the hs climate? :-) There are a lot of us.

Oh my! I need to clarify - I meant the climate of home schooling. Not the actual climate weather. :D As in, how is the society there towards home schooling? Generally okay? Tolorating until they can make illegal? Lots of support groups or sorta quiet to avoid making waves? Or?

Short of a desert or artic region, I'm not too worried about the weather. Even then, it'd be worth it in the right conditions.

SC is listed as moderatly hard on the HSLDA map, but I don't know why. All I have to do is resigster with an umbrella school and at the end of the year send in a form that states I taught 180 days and a report card. I am required to keep a same/portfolio of my dc's work, but I don't have to send it in. I also don't have to have any evaluations, testing or document hours.

I don't think it is too much to ask.

I know most people say SC is tricky ~ I have no idea where HSLDA puts it on their map, but I find it quite easy.

The short version of what's required is this : You can homeschool 3 different ways, most choose "option 3" which is to join an accountability group. There are dozens of different ones to choose from. Some require next to nothing, while others require all sorts of things. We happen to belong to one that requires very little.

So, my opinion from the trenches in one of the more regulated states is, it's just not that bad. No big deal.

We would not move to PA, VT, or NY. The state we live in varies by town, we knew this and so we were able to move to a homeschool friendly town. From here on out, all I have to do is say "Hi, we're homeschooling another year, here are the names of the kids and their grades" and then send in some samples at the end of the year that no one is even going to look at.

Alabama is pretty easy from what I've heard...we're too young to have anything required yet, but I have many friends that do it and the requirements seem to be minimal.

Not sure about HS in Indiana, but they have an awesome college distance education system that can begin in high school.

Here in Michigan, homeschooling is as easy as it gets, I think. I don't have to report to anyone, or fill out anything. But then, we've homeschooled from the beginnning. Maybe if you started out in public school and took them out to homeschool here it would be a different experience; I don't know.

As far as the homeschool scene here, it's pretty neat. Yesterday I went to a park day and a mom's night out for homeschoolers. It was great!

Oh my! I need to clarify - I meant the climate of home schooling. Not the actual climate weather. :D As in, how is the society there towards home schooling? Generally okay? Tolorating until they can make illegal? Lots of support groups or sorta quiet to avoid making waves? Or?

Short of a desert or artic region, I'm not too worried about the weather. Even then, it'd be worth it in the right conditions.

I figured as much after I reread it; that end part about there being a lot of us was actually an edit :D. I'm feeling very slow on the uptake today.

I have never encountered any issues; in fact, I mostly get questions about how to start hs-ing thier own kids. In one hs group that I belong to, there are over 200 families (actively participating). Its pretty well accepted around here. In the Milwaukee and Madison areas, I believe there are even more groups to choose from, but I'm not as familiar with the temp there.

So is selling everything and moving somewhere you hate to be and can't wait to move out of. By all means I wouldn't let us starve for lack of taking a job offer in another state. (so far no offers so that's not an issue)

But replacing one stress for another isn't a solution I'd choose either.

The only two things I'm asking for is:

1. there must be a catholic parish within a reasonable distance. at least close enough that sunday mass is not a difficulty. obviously I'd prefer it be close enough to do more than that.

2. that I not have gov't involvement in our home schooling.

Other than that, I'm pretty open to anywhere, even outside the states, if the income offerred is right.

sorry, I haven't read all the replies, but we live in PA. We don't have to do anything until child is 8 at the beginning of the year. I belong to a homeschool group, though and most people say that while it's kind of a nuissance, it's just that and isn't that big of a deal. I think it more depends on the school district you're in. Many of ours around here are great, very open and friendly to HSers. But some are just a pain and make life difficult.

The nice thing about PA is that if you want extra-curriculars, HSers are allowed to participate in anything, as well as have access to materials if needed.

The guidelines are so general, that really your goals and things are so easy to write even if you're a HSer that doesn't do much planning ahead and is more relaxed in your style. You can literally say on your plan for the year "to improve reading skills" or something ridiculous like that.

I have lived in two states that were homeschool friendly. The best was Alaska b/c out there you can sign up for a homeschooling program where they actually give you money (cash!) to purchase your curriculum and supplies. They give you a computer, printer, and passwords to subscription websites like encyclopedias online etc It was around 1500-2000 dollars for the school year that they gave me if I am remembering correctly. I LOVED it. They did not get in your business at all, no mandated testing, and it was easy. I feel it was my favorite place to homeschool.

Texas doesn't have a program like that but it's still a cakewalk. There are basically no regulations. You just do your thing and that's it. There are no requirements except writing them a letter letting them know your child is being disenrolled (if they were ever enrolled). They gave me NO problems at all. I find it extremely homeschool friendly.

I love homeschooling in IL. The government is not involved at all - no notification, registration, permission, anything. I would not want to move to a place where the government would be involved in my homeschool. I really would not want to move to a state where I would need permission (based upon education status of the parents, test scores or portfolios) and where that permission could be taken away. Although I wouldn't like it, I could live with notification.

Then again, if it meant the difference between a job and no job, I suppose we could not afford to be picky.

I've hs'ed in Nebraska and PA.

Nebraska: They wanted more information about me and DH than they wanted about DC. Seriously??? :confused: Turned in a few pages the beginning of each school year, and done.

Pennsylvania: Gets a bad rep, but seriously it's not a problem. I turn in TWO PAGES the beginning of the school year (one is my objectives, which are the EXACT SAME for every elementary grade/child, and a second set for secondary levels). My homeschooling does not need to be "Approved" - I inform them. At the end of the year, you meet with an evaluator (your choice - and some do distance evals), they sign a general statment form (if that is your preference), and you send in a couples samples of your work throughout the year. Done. Some people choose to send in a 3-inch binder full of samples, others send in a total of 2 pages per subject for samples. Laws are the same across the state, but some school districts like to think they can ask more of you - they can't. Test scores submitted three times, but no minimum scores required, AND you have a choice for tests.

Having said that, my DH looked twice for work, and I left it open to location. I figured he's the one who is going to be paying the bills so that I could stay home to be available to homeschool, so where we do it was secondary. Now, DH was working with a recruiter who also homeschooled, and was surprised at my openness (he was from MO), but it was easier for him to match DH with excellent potential jobs because of it, rather than just what might be available in approved locations.

HOWEVER, I chose to live in NE vs. Iowa because I didn't want to have to meet with an evaluator twice a year. Again, I figure you could work it out with finding an evaluator who is compatible, but I didn't need to.

Enjoy the adventure of a new place - and look more closely at the laws before you cross off a state based on HSLDA or someone else's recommendation.

1. there must be a catholic parish within a reasonable distance. at least close enough that sunday mass is not a difficulty. obviously I'd prefer it be close enough to do more than that.

:iagree:

My DH has a job, and no one here is going to starve at this point, so I feel completely fine being picky before I agree to pick up our family and move away from all of our friends and family and everything we know. If DH lost his job, all bets are off, and then we would go where we had to.

But for now, I research the area, homeschooling laws, Catholic parishes, support groups, extracurricular opportunities, community colleges, and anything else that I feel like will affect our quality of life in the new place. If we are are going to move, I would like it to be somewhere that we can all be happy and make our home, but I do realize that this is a luxury that not everyone has and that we may not always have either. Regardless, what my DH does is pretty much limiting us to Texas right now, which is fine with me, assuming any of it ever happens.

Here's the link to the FAQ for New Jersey from the Dept of Ed:

http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/overview/faq_homeschool.htm

But, we have a very high cost-of-living via taxes, insurance, etc. So, unless the job offer is significantly higher than what your husband has been making, it might not be equivalent in terms of lifestyle...

I happen to love it here and am a transplant. Lots of hs groups throughout the state, even in the sparsely populated part in which I live. We're close to New York, Philadelphia and Annapolis/Baltimore/Washington, which makes for great cultural activities for the kiddos too.

So is selling everything and moving somewhere you hate to be and can't wait to move out of. By all means I wouldn't let us starve for lack of taking a job offer in another state. (so far no offers so that's not an issue)

Well, you'll find many parishes in the Central TX area. My family actually attends the Cathedral in downtown Austin. There's a fairly traditional N.O. at noon on Sundays (I sing in the choir for that one) and a Latin rite at 3:30 Sunday afternoons.

Welcome to Texas!

If your kids have never darkened the door of a public school, there's absolutely no reporting anytime, anywhere.

Other than that, I'm pretty open to anywhere, even outside the states, if the income offerred is right.

Love to have you if your dh gets work here! TX is a good state for work in general as the recession simply didn't hit here as hard as other states. I don't know what line of work your dh is in, but many businesses are hiring in the state.

I think it depends on your family. I know someone said Alabama is easy, but I actually refused to move there when dh suggested it. It requires a religious cover, and I am agnostic. I have no problems with religion at all -- some of my best friends on family are religious. ;) But I will not lie to a church or compromise myself just to appease the state.

I think the only way I would feel okay with myself would be to declare my house a Taoist temple and say that was our religion or something. But that would risk being open to legal problems with the state, I'm thinking. ;) And I'm not willing to risk my kids, KWIM? It's just not worth it.

It sounds like a lot of states are more "free" than HSLDA paints it -- but I am still left wondering what the actual law says and if someone decided to hold a grudge against you if you would find you have no legal recourse. In CA, at least, I know what the law is and how much it does (or does not) protect me and what our rights are if someone comes knocking at the door.

Anyway, there are states I'd prefer not to go to, but I probably would if I had to, to avoid living on the streets or starving. :D I really wouldn't be comfortable anywhere there was required standardized testing, for example. But I'd probably deal with it if I had to.

Places I have lived and homeschooled:

ND - heavy, heavy, oversight

TX - No reporting - EASY

SC - I paid the $235 to be part of an umbrella school (my husband called it "bribe" money), EASY after the payment

Germany - we are military - no reporting - EASY

NJ - No reporting - EASY

NC - Reporting, maintain attendance records, maintain yearly test scores, yearly notification of homeschooling, immunization records (or religious exemption) paperwork on file, possibility of annual "Show your records" meeting.

I have spent more time keeping up with NC's requirements than any other state. Most people who live in NC, declare that it is the easiest place to homeschool. Guess it depends if you have lived outside the state or not.

Edited by Mary in NJ

Places I have lived and homeschooled:

ND - heavy, heavy, oversight

TX - No reporting - EASY

SC - I paid the $235 to be part of an umbrella school (my husband called it "bribe" money), EASY after the payment

Germany - we are military - no reporting - EASY

NJ - No reporting - EASY

NC - Reporting, maintain attendance records, maintain yearly test scores, yearly notification of homeschooling, immunization records (or religious exemption) paperwork on file, possibility of annual "Show your records" meeting.

I have spent more time keeping up with NC's requirements than any other state. Most people who live in NC, declare that it is the easiest place to homeschool. Guess it depends if you have lived outside the state or not.

Not sure where you get your NC info, but it isn't that. You register once as a private school, agree to keep immunization records, attendance, and test yearly. You can administer the test yourself in your home and there is no requirement that you report any of it to anyone. The "show your records" meeting hardly ever happens, but if it does you show them the immunization record, the attendance form (checked boxes), and proof that you tested (not even the results.)

No reporting, no yearly notification, and you don't have to send anything in.

FL is much harder and has a lot more oversight. Annual notification, yearly evaluation (it can be testing but the test has to be administered by a certified teacher), and a portfolio kept for 3 years in case the superintendent wants to see it. We also have to keep a log book of books used.

I would prefer nothing at all (like TX), but if I have to do anything NC is the easiest.

As you've heard, WA in pretty easy. Annual intent to homeschool to file, annual testing that you don't have to turn in, and you're suppose to cover 11 subjects but they don't get any more specific than "math", "history", etc., and again, no one checks. We have virtual academies here, one of which is awesome. The one we use (the only one I would consider) gives us funds for curriculum, supplies, field trips, and classes. There's more reporting for the va but it works for us.

After reading this thread, I think we'll move to New Mexico in about 4 years. :D

I wouldn't live anywhere where there were heavy requirements such as turning in detailed lesson plans. I'm just not that organized. About the most I could do is give them a list of curricula and say, "we'll probably finish all of this by May/June".

I would not move to Pennsylvania. The PA border is not far from me and there is some quite attractive property in southern PA. But I told dh to not even think about it. I knew a hser who moved to PA from MD and then moved back in under a year. Their invasive laws really give me the willies!

If I could/would live anywhere, based on hsing laws? Texas. Hands down.

I wouldn't want to go to any of the "red" states: NY, PA, MA, VT, RI, and ND--especially ND. Regardless of the homeschooling "climate," there are way too many restrictions/requirments for my taste.

Although I could manage if I lived in one of those states, I would not go there if I had the choice.

I can bear notifying someone (as in Calif), but anything else--testing, any sort of end-of-year evaluations, mandatory # of days--is too much for me.

I used to say that in some states, I'd have been the first test case.:lol:

I can't speak for any other state, but Nevada is as easy as it gets. One time filing and no testing or records to keep.

Nope, sorry, "as easy as it gets" goes to the states where you are required to do less than even a one time filing.

And as for the others, complying with the requirements is surely not that big of a deal. And I understand why others say that. But the idea that there are those requirements is what puts my panties in a knot. I shouldn't have to send in an intent letter, especially not every year. I shouldn't have to test my kids once, four times, yearly or otherwise. In my opine, anyway.

My dh says I'm making his job hunt very hard b/c I refuse to move to a state that isn't very home school friendly. Very as in no paperwork, reporting, or record keeping required. DH says that is hard for him and not neccessary b/c I actually happen to keep excellent records. But my POV is that those records are for ME and at my discretion, not a mandate.

Anyhow..

Any of the states where you have to either have a teacher's certificate or being monitored by a certified teacher would be a NO WAY IN H*LL! state for me. I'm pretty sure N. Dakota is one of those, and NY, too, but don't quote me on that.

From things I've heard, I don't think I'd want to move to NY or PA, but I've never actually hs'ed there, so I can't speak with any authority.

I think MA gets a bad rap - certainly your critera #1 would be filled here - something like half the population in MA is Catholic; pretty much every town has a Catholic church. You have to report yearly, and there's an assessment but it's not even required to test (though you can if that's easiest for you). There are no evaluators like in some states (I would hate that), no visits or personal contact with any officials. You can just send in a letter saying what you've done that year, or some work samples to show you haven't been hiding them in the closet. They can not mandate any materials or methods of teaching.

There are tons of homeschoolers here; I've never gotten any funny looks or questions. Lots of classes and coops, and I know of a few Catholic homeschooling groups too (even though I'm not Catholic myself. :))

We homeschool in PA and I would have to say it is not a big deal. Yeah, it would be nice to do nothing, but it is not really something I would consider a non-negotiable item if I had to relocate here.

I think the only factor is if you happen to get a school district that tries to bug you, but around me there are so many homeschooling families that they really don't seem to be that interested. You just do the requirements and that is it, I have never even had any direct contact with our school district regarding it. Just filing, drop off and mailing.

and his happiness. I would never want him to believe that I limited his career options because I didn't want to do administrative tasks or comply with the law even if I didn't really like having to.

But if I simply could not legally homeschool (ie, if that state required a teachers certificate) I would be reluctant to move.