Homeschool and conceal carry

Free Indeed

Conceal carry  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Are you licensed to carry?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, and I have no desire to be
  2. 2. Do you actually carry on a regular basis?

• Yes, every time we leave the house
    • Yes, quite a bit of the time
    • No
    • other ð???

No guns in our home.  We live in the suburbs of a major city, we are not hunters, and I see no need.  I did own a gun, once upon a time, so am not mindlessly against them.  But I had an at-risk, suicidal teenager at one time, and there is No. Way. In. Heck. I could take the chance of him finding it.  I could not have lived with myself.  To this day, he does not know I ever owned one, or that it was removed from our home for his sake.  Since it's removal, I have felt no need to replace it.  Again - we live in the suburbs.  We don't hunt.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why we'd need one.  I understand that people who hunt feel differently.  No biggie.

• Like 2

Oh, and I could not vote in the poll.  Without an option for unlicensed people on the second question, so unlicensed people can answer, I think the results will be skewed.  :)  Unless you're only looking for licensed people to respond, then maybe adjust the first question?

• Like 1

We don't own guns. I only know of one person in real life who owns guns - a relative living in another state. If anyone else within my circle of friends & acquaintances is a gun owner, they don't talk about it or admit to it. But I live in an affluent, urban area where gun ownership is not socially acceptable or necessary. I assume that there may be gun owners in more rural parts of our state, because of hunting or farm-protection type issues. 

Not every state requires someone be licensed to carry. Most of the people armed up here don't bother with federal CC permits, because they aren't needed.

I'd say between 20-30% of the families out in public around here are armed with something on their persons or in their vehicles, and it's higher more rurally.

Homeschool and carry what? Was my first thought in reading the op, if that answers the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocolate!

All homeschooling moms need a stash of emergency chocolate concealed on their person or in their bag for those stressful kid moments. I highly recommend carrying the little bags of chocolate-covered blueberries.

• Like 15

CC is pretty much not legal where we live. Technically, a license exists, but it's never, ever issued to anyone. I think I read somewhere that less than 10 people in my county have been approved. If we could apply, my husband probably would, but I would not.

We do own a handgun and it is kept in a biometric safe. Everyone in the family has been trained to use it, but only dh and I can open the safe.

We own guns (rifles, shotgun), but we only use them around the house for hunting and nuisance critter maintenance so I voted no (with no desire) and no.  I see no need to have anything more than utility weapons.  I haven't even shot a handgun since my AF days (many moons ago) and don't have a desire to rekindle that.

We both have licenses. We enjoy target shooting, and we live in an area where we could need it for wildlife. No, we don't carry (unless we are going somewhere to target practice.) All our weapons are in locked safes.

If any of our kids shows the first signs of mental illness/suicidal thoughts, all the guns will be gone, locked safe or not.

• Like 1

No, because we're in a state that doesn't believe in the 2nd amendment.  Yes, we own many guns, no we don't usually carry in states where allowed because of the children.  All our guns are kept triple locked with no clip/bolt, and ammo is stored in separate locked containers.  When DH retires, we will both get CC permits, and will carry most of the time.

I got a concealed carry permit just because it makes it a lot easier for me to haul the stuff to the target range, which my dh and I do together infrequently.  Without it, there are too many steps you have to take and it makes it a PITB just to go out for the hour of target shooting.  

One reason I carry is that I've been in a situation before where if I had been able to defend myself, or someone nearby had been carrying, I would not have been hurt. It was a public place in a low crime area in daylight. So while I don't think I will ever have to use it (it's not like I strap it on like a cowboy hoping to get in a gun fight), I also think it's important to realize that it could save someone's life. The police hardly ever show up in time to actually stop a crime from happening, and there are many cases where a citizen who was carrying prevented tragedies from happening.

• Like 5

Neither dh and I are. We do have a couple of hunting guns for dispatching suspicious coons, possum, and skunks plus the ground hogs that eat everyone's gardens. The other three because if they get too "friendly" it can be an issue. We have an occasional rabid coon or possum in the county and 10-12 rabid skunks per year so we don't want them around making trouble.

I do have a friend that carries and so does her husband. They homeschool their two children.

Neither of us carry, no cc permits. I went target shooting with dh and 2 sons over the summer. I totally didn't like it but I have excellent aim. Last time I went target shooting I was 18. That was many children ago. I enjoyed it then.

I have several female and male friends who have conceal carry and do often carry, their ages range from 30s to 60s. 

Once my mom met my sister's estranged husband at the door at 1 a.m. and told him to get the hell off her property as she had a shotgun in her hands. 

Edited by Gaillardia
  • Like 1

I live in a state that does not require any licenses or permits to carry guns, concealed or non concealed. DH and I both carry daily.

ETA- we see people open carrying at church, at grocery stores, pretty much all over.

Edited by MegP

I got a concealed carry permit just because it makes it a lot easier for me to haul the stuff to the target range, which my dh and I do together infrequently.  Without it, there are too many steps you have to take and it makes it a PITB just to go out for the hour of target shooting.  

I'm actually considering getting mine for this reason. And for the times I drive alone on desolate highways with no one to call for help within an hour's drive. I would in those circumstances like to have a firearm in the car, and although I'd keep it locked up while driving, if I were broken down on the side of the road, I'd like to have the option to have it reachable while waiting for help. So maybe someday. 

• Like 1

I grew up in a home with many, many guns, for hunting and otherwise.  As an adult the only gun we had early in our marriage was a rifle, what we consider our 'snake gun'.  Because of home study (adoption) rules it was  locked up early and securely and has pretty much stayed that way as we have one child who has always been the one to do the exact opposite of what is told so we knew it was safest that way.

We feel all of our kids are now 'safe' around guns and have toyed with getting a CC but just haven't pursued it as it hasn't been a huge priority.  A large percentage of our friends do CC.  

My understanding is that in my area it's legal to carry but only unloaded weapons. That makes no sense to me (what would be the point of having it?) I don't think that having strict laws makes the area any safer because there are plenty of gang members and other criminals who are armed.

Neither of us are licensed any more but I was years ago when I had late classes on Campus in a large city.  DH used to be because it's what almost all young men do in the area/town he's from.  We used to have several hunting weapons and a couple pistols but the only gun currently in the house is DS's 22 rifle he got for Christmas a couple years ago.

This is opening my eyes to the fact that homeschool groups and co-ops need to specifically address a weapons policy for the adults in attendance at or participating in events, so that attendees know what to expect.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 3

There is no such thing as concealed carry here.  Generally the ability to take a handgun anywhere is fairly restricted, you need it locked up while you are moving it, and a permt to do so.  With longuns you can carry one around if you are doing something like actually hunting, but not hiding it which would be weird and seem to indicate some nefarious purpose.

Dh sometimes hunts, so that is about the extent of gun carrying about here.  He used to target shoot but doesn't have time these days.