Menu

Please read my post and *then* vote for one of these Valentine desserts...

Read my post and *then* vote for your choice of Valentine's Day dessert...  

1. 1. Read my post and *then* vote for your choice of Valentine's Day dessert...

• Creme Brulee
    • Flourless Chocolate Cake
    • Sweetheart Petit Four Cake
    • Caramel Apple Cheesecake

Which of these lovely Valentine's Day desserts would you choose?

Creme Brulee~A classic favorite, rich and creamy.

Flourless Chocolate Cake~Dense, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake covered with chocolate ganache and garnished with chocolate curls.

Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes~Delicate white cake layered with a touch of buttercream icing and raspberry filling, and robed with white chocolate ganache.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake~sweet apple filling baked into a velvety cheesecake and drizzled with caramel sauce.

We're expecting a busy night on the 14th at the restaurant where I do desserts, and your input will help me make the right amounts of each. If you know what your husband would order, you could write that in a separate post for me, and that would be really helpful too. Men tend to order different desserts than women.

Thanks for your help! :)

I voted for brulee but I'd eat any of those.

This is not a criticism but would a cheesecake with a red berry (strawb or rasp) in it or on it sell better on Valentine's Day?

Yes, red berries would probably be great, but the Sweetheart Petit Four Cake already has red berries, so I wasn't sure about including them in another selection. The variety sounded nice, though less pretty!

If your restaurant is anything like the one I use to do desserts for, I would ask the waiter because, somehow, it was always his favorite dessert that sold the most! :lol:

Also, I always knew when this one bus kid desserted a table, he always managed to sell ice cream, no matter what was on the menu! So when Sid was working, I made sure to have a lot of extra ice cream on hand.

Also, one thing I use to do for very busy days (Valentines, mothers day, NYE and parties) I use to have a sampler dessert where everyone got the same dessert.

So the valentines dessert would have on it: a small flourless choc. cake (small ringmold) maybe a scoop of icecream (cappucino maybe ... i have thousands of flavors that I use to do!) a small petit four cake and a sauce (probably vanilla bean creme anglaise). That would be enough for me but I have made samplers with 4 things on it.**

Good luck! The desserts all sound wonderful. If I were prepping for 100, I would probably have 50 flourless cakes, 20 C.B., 20 Cheesecake, 20 Petit four. BUT I would really have pushed for a sampler dessert. Then you know how exactly how many of everything to make by the number of reservations you have (always make a few extra in case of walk ins) and I always got rave reviews on the samplers!

**I have even done mini creme brulees in small ramekins on the plate! I also have made creme brulee in a square hotel pan, and then sliced the C.B. in small squares, crystalized the sugar on a sizzler plate then transferred to the dessert plate. No big deal because everyone is getting the same Dessert. So the tickets would come in... 4D. 2 D (well on V. Day it was 2D 2D 2D, lol) so I was always on top of it!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

It looks like the Caramel Apple Cheesecake may or may not be a good choice (thanks). It's one of the things men tend to order more though...

So now, I need to know what you'd *rather* have that I haven't thought of yet.

Well, I think the cheesecake sounds great, but here a few ideas that I've done and sold pretty well:

Warm Apple Tart (Sucre crust, apple, sugar, cinnamon filling, then topped with a crumb topping) served with vanilla bean ice cream (or whipped cream) and rum raisin sauce.

Warm Buttermilk shortcake with blueberry compote, whipped cream and crispy sugared almonds. (wonderful use of frozen wild blueberries!)

//Or alternatively, if you do icecreams, I might do: Warm Blueberry shortcake with buttermilk ice cream and sugared almonds

Khalua mousse with hazelnut biscotti and warm chocolate sauce.

I would seriously consider a sampler... but I'm biased!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I thought for sure that everyone would say "creme Brulee!"

But DH would defintely order the chocolate.

They all sound lovely.

Creme Brulee~A classic favorite, rich and creamy.

Flourless Chocolate Cake~Dense, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake covered with chocolate ganache and garnished with chocolate curls.

Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes~Delicate white cake layered with a touch of buttercream icing and raspberry filling, and robed with white chocolate ganache.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake~sweet apple filling baked into a velvety cheesecake and drizzled with caramel sauce.

We're expecting a busy night on the 14th at the restaurant where I do desserts, and your input will help me make the right amounts of each. If you know what your husband would order, you could write that in a separate post for me, and that would be really helpful too. Men tend to order different desserts than women.

Wow, this brings me back.....I used to be a pastry chef. As I recall, the flourless chocolate cake and the creme brulee would probably be the two big sellers.

If you don't mind my asking, how many nights/ days do you work? And are you the pastry chef, assistant or other? AND finally...how does all this work out with your homeschooling?

I choose the chocolate every time. "Flourless" makes me nearly drool!:lol:

Dh would choose creme brulee

...but if he would choose cheesecake with a different topping. I see you're already tossing around other options. Apple tart of some kind would be lovely. It's the combo of cheesecake and apple that made him want neither.

This post is making me want to bake! I haven't made a flourless chocolate cake in a few years...mmm...

Me=petite fours cake

Dh= probably the cheesecake (if it was berry filling then definitely he would); if not, then the petite fours cake

Neither of us would do the chocolate flourless cake--too rich & overpowering for us. I think the creme brulee sounds divine, but too rich for us, too.

My vote was for the Sweetheart Petit Four cake - I love white cake and raspberry. If you were offering a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, I would have done that for sure (with the raspberry puree on the plate with some fresh whipped cream...mmmmmm).

However, my dh, who is completely addicted to chocolate- obsessed is more like it - would have taken the flourless choc. cake.

It does seem to me though, that Valentines Day equals chocolate. It just seems *wrong* to not have chocolate on that day. But for me, I would really appreciate the opportunity to stray from that, and would have showed my appreciation by ordering such a deviance. :D

Edited by Janna