Menu

My son did a cool and fun thing….

Did someone DM something mean? I think completing cool bucket-list items, however obscure, is amazing. That particular thing isn’t on my list, but taking my kids to watch is. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I’m literally in tears right now. 

But I’ll be fine. 

Hugs to you. 

I'm sorry I didn't get to see what cool fun thing your son did, but bravo to him for having done it, whatever it was. 

I'm more sorry that whatever ensued left you feeling weepy and down about it, instead of supported. Big hugs to you. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Nevermind. I guess it’s not so great. 

I saw the original post and thought he brought cheer to someone’s day while ticking off his bucket list 👏😀🥰

I meant happy when clicking on the laughing emoji in the response, not that what your son did was laughable. 

• Like 13

Aww, I missed it but I’m happy your son did something cool and fun! 

Here’s a tangent that maybe will make you smile:

When my daughter was 8 years old, she won Grand Champion at the fair for her absolutely amazing drawing of our German Shepherd. I was SO bursting with pride over her win that I emailed practically everyone who ever knew her! 😆 (This was before Facebook was a thing and email was really the only “social media”.)

It was a while before I realized what a dork I must have looked like. I had plenty of friends and family members whose kids took home armloads of ribbons and trophies and what-all. I’m sure there were a lot of eye-rolls about my email! 

• Like 6

I, too, would have enjoyed reading the original post. I opened to read it and say, "That's terrific!!!" I think the world would be a much happier place if we could all sincerely celebrate the accomplishments of others.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I saw the original post and thought he brought cheer to someone’s day while ticking off his bucket list 👏😀🥰

I meant happy when clicking on the laughing emoji in the response, not that what your son did was laughable. 

Aww it’s so hard online to get our message across sometimes.

• Like 3

I saw the cool thing your son did, and I think it was cool and exciting!  I would be so thrilled if I did that, and I know my kids did too!  I can't imagine why someone would say it's not great.  I'm sorry if someone dampened your fire.  That's super uncool.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I laugh reacted, and I don't remember exactly your phrasing, but I was laughing at what you said, in a kind way, not trying to be mean to your son.  I'm so sorry if I hurt you!!!!  

I really did think it was awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s just me. Were you ever just in a down mood, some things happened, and then one last thing happened (even if it was small) and you just started sobbing? It happened more when I was younger. Less now. Don’t you know what I mean? 

I had posted that my son had texted me today to say: “I beat an old man at chess in Central Park today. Bucket-list item completed.”

I thought that was the neatest thing. Just like in the movie Searching for Bobby Fisher. I just couldn’t figure out why people thought it was funny? Or did they think it was dumb? I couldn’t tell. It landed wrong, and it was just that one last thing….

Anyway, it’s all fine. It’s me, not you. 😑

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I just couldn’t figure out why people thought it was funny? Or did they think it was dumb?

I would have given you a laughing emoji because I thought it was funny and cool at the same time.

I think it is ridiculous the way some people here use the laughing emoji to indicate that they think what the person said was stupid or lame or whatever.  Honestly, those people should go rot somewhere.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Did someone DM something mean? I think completing cool bucket-list items, however obscure, is amazing. That particular thing isn’t on my list, but taking my kids to watch is. 

No, no one sent a mean message. I hope people don’t do that. Oy.

• Like 1

Also, I LOVE the movie Searching of Bobby Fisher, and that was my first thought when you posted it.  I wasn't trying to be mean with the laughing emoji; I think it was just the phrasing that was vaguely amusing.  

I am SO SO SO sorry!  The last thing I would have wanted to do is hurt you.

1 hour ago, Ginevra said:

Aww, I missed it but I’m happy your son did something cool and fun! 

Here’s a tangent that maybe will make you smile:

When my daughter was 8 years old, she won Grand Champion at the fair for her absolutely amazing drawing of our German Shepherd. I was SO bursting with pride over her win that I emailed practically everyone who ever knew her! 😆 (This was before Facebook was a thing and email was really the only “social media”.)

It was a while before I realized what a dork I must have looked like. I had plenty of friends and family members whose kids took home armloads of ribbons and trophies and what-all. I’m sure there were a lot of eye-rolls about my email! 

I would have been super proud. That sounds amazing! And we all know who she gets her talent from! It wasn’t dorky at all, IMO! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

No, no one sent a mean message. I hope people don’t do that. Oy.

Good. Hugs. We’ve been having some hard days over here too. Well mostly DH. 

• Sad 5

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Also, I LOVE the movie Searching of Bobby Fisher, and that was my first thought when you posted it.  I wasn't trying to be mean with the laughing emoji; I think it was just the phrasing that was vaguely amusing.  

I am SO SO SO sorry!  The last thing I would have wanted to do is hurt you.

Oh, Terabith. Please don’t let it bother you. It is totally fine now. ❤️

ETA: The movie. Me, too. It’s one of my very favorites.  

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, EKS said:

I would have given you a laughing emoji because I thought it was funny and cool at the same time.

I think it is ridiculous the way some people here use the laughing emoji to indicate that they think what the person said was stupid or lame or whatever.  Honestly, those people should go rot somewhere.

I know I can be dense, but how do you know people do that? I mean maybe they see something funny in the post? Maybe they hit the wrong emoji when they meant to "like"? 

In general, probably best not to assume ill intent from an emoji, right? 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, EKS said:

I would have thought the same thing!  

@Indigo Blue that is cool!  And how fun that he texted you to tell you - must have made his day! 🙂 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marbel said:

I know I can be dense, but how do you know people do that?

I've had it happen to me.  It was obvious given the tenor of the person's posts in the rest of the thread (as well as all the other threads they post on) that they thought whatever it was was stupid or something equally mean.

To be clear, it didn't upset me, but it did cause me to roll my eyes.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

It’s just me. Were you ever just in a down mood, some things happened, and then one last thing happened (even if it was small) and you just started sobbing? It happened more when I was younger. Less now. Don’t you know what I mean? 

I had posted that my son had texted me today to say: “I beat an old man at chess in Central Park today. Bucket-list item completed.”

I thought that was the neatest thing. Just like in the movie Searching for Bobby Fisher. I just couldn’t figure out why people thought it was funny? Or did they think it was dumb? I couldn’t tell. It landed wrong, and it was just that one last thing….

This sort of thing happens to me all the time. Just that one last comment or whatever sends me over the edge.

• Like 1

Ok so my reaction went from one to the other cause you changed your post but honestly I do think it is cool. 

It is funny what I see as cool. Central Park is some strange cool place that people go to in movies but I probably never will which makes it interesting. I suppose people in New York  would think my Alaskan wilderness adventures more exotic than Central Park but I think of New York as the strange place just because it is different than what I am used to. 😁 So anyway, I thought it was cool. 

• Like 2

Awww…. Well I did not see it in time to react  but I might have sent a laughing emoji too because we don’t have a clapping for joy emoji. I do think it is a cool story and I am sorry you felt bad about sone reactions. 

• Like 3

I didn't see the original. However, with this nerdy bunch of folks, I would think they were more laughing with delight at your son's tweet--like how cool is that, and he seems like a lot of fun. But it's hard to read things online sometimes and know how others mean to come across. Hugs.

• Like 8

I would assume your son was intending humor with his "bucket list" comment.  I would assume the reactions were "laughing with you" and not "laughing at you."

I agree some posters misuse the laughing emoji, but I pretty much know who those people are & ignore them.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I think that is awesome!   And yeah, I can see why people had the laughing emoji, just a "haha, he beat the old seasoned veteran chess player" laugh, and what a great bucket list item!   

We had a park in Glendale, CA I used to frequent with the kids when we lived in Pasadena and there were those concrete tables with a chess board on top and the older men would sit for hours with their timer going, playing every day.   I used to think that I would never even attempt to play against them!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, EKS said:

I've had it happen to me.  It was obvious given the tenor of the person's posts in the rest of the thread (as well as all the other threads they post on) that they thought whatever it was was stupid or something equally mean.

To be clear, it didn't upset me, but it did cause me to roll my eyes.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for responding.

I did look at the people who used an emoji to react to the original post. Not one of them was someone I'd ever imagine making fun of another poster. (I suppose someone may have removed their response; I don't know if that's possible. I know it can be changed.) But I know emotions can get the better of us sometimes. 

ETA: playing chess in Central Park is sort of an iconic thing. Even if he hadn't won the game, it would still be a cool memory. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

Having read the whole thing, that is so cool.

I have a kid who has been obsessed with chess since he could toddle over to the board, and began playing his first games when he was 3.  By the time he was 9 nobody in the house would play against him so he began playing the computer.  It was the first app he downloaded when he got a phone in his tweens. If he got to play an adult, in the park, and won, he'd be beaming from ear to ear.  It would make his whole week, especially as he replayed it in his head/on a board to exploit weaknesses "for a rematch". 😄We really hoped he would find a community in a team, but that wasn't to be.  He would be thrilled to play a human who wanted to match him, though.  And in Central Park?  He'd be through the roof!

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 4