Menu

Are there *any* other people who have yet to give their kids tech toys/items?

I need some company.:) Aside from some friends of ours in Switzerland ~ who have four boys, oldest 14 yo ~ is there anyone else I "know" who has yet to give their children tech stuff? "Tech" for lack of a better word. I'm talking about things ranging from cell phones to iPods to game systems to Guitar Hero ~ and so on. I'm not even sure why I'm asking. I mean, I'm happy with how we do things. I'm not going to buy things just because other people buy them. I appreciate that even my 13.5 year old son is content with gifts like a Lego set, board game, book (Scarlet Pimpernel this year), ski socks, and a shirt. But...gosh and golly. Are we really completely alone in just enjoying the "simple" stuff and playing outside? I kinda think so, judging by how few guys are interested in coming over here and hanging out.:confused:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our oldest has an iPod. He got it for Christmas last year only because my husband got it free from work for selling the most RVs that month. He doesn't use it that much. Other than that they don't have any tech items--no cell phones for them, no gameboys or playstations. Our boys are perfectly happy with the Legos they got. They also got pirate eye-patches and spyglasses. Each of our girls got a bike.

A lego set, a few board games, Bananagrams, and three books. But he does have an Ipod Nano.

He has no gaming system and is not allowed to play video games or watch others play at their house (he would watch for hours if he could!). HOWEVER, he does have Spore, a new computer game. I was so impressed with the cleverness of Spore that I allowed him to get it when it came out last fall. I'm not sure whether I regret it or not. I am still VERY impressed with all aspects of the game, but he craves it a little too much and it is so much.....speedier than everyday life. Especially our everyday life, which ordinarily involves going outside to watch the sun glisten on the snow-covered mountains.

You are doing the right thing. Are the boys continually asking for video games, cell phones and such? It is hard to stand your ground if they are, but you are doing the right thing. They are developing an inner resourcefulness that would be so much more difficult with speedy, shiny, tech toys.

Best wishes on your parenting journey,

Julie

While giving simple gifts and allowing the children to appreciate the simpler times, are you short changing your child by not exposing him to the other possibilities? Not referring to now b/c obviously he's quite content, but are you limiting his future options because of lack of exposure?

I don't have the answer and this isn't meant to be an argumentative post--just another perspective. (Sometimes I wonder if I've allowed too much electronic exposure in lieu of more quiet, simpler toys.)

Mine have no tech toys, just computers, if that counts and that was not for Christmas.

We have no Wii, or any other attachable tv game. No handhelds or far from getting phones. No music appliances either.

Dh bought a lil digi cam and it is taking all of our brain power to figure that out.

I think we are just not tech savvy peeps.

We've chosen to avoid electronic toys and gadgets here. I'm always encouraged to see others, especially those with older kids who have chosen to do the same. It is nice to know you're not alone.

While giving simple gifts and allowing the children to appreciate the simpler times, are you short changing your child by not exposing him to the other possibilities? Not referring to now b/c obviously he's quite content, but are you limiting his future options because of lack of exposure?

I'm curious, what future options could be limited by avoiding video games and other electronic devices at a young age?

Me! We decided to avoid electronic toys and such. My oldest is 8 now, so they aren't really very old yet, but they've never gotten any tech items. They are allowed to play Chuzzle on my computer, and their dad sometimes lets them watch a video game while he plays, but otherwise they're pretty tech-less.

Aaah, I'm in the club. 9 battery-free Christmases and counting. Our kids have nothing technology-like. My children received the following for Christmas...

hamster

board games (several)

books

legos

Bible covers

My children have shown no interest and we hope to keep it that way. Their friends have all that stuff but my kids just don't care. I think it's because we (Mom & Dad) don't get into all that and we don't have television.

Edited by Daisy

I'm the only one with a cell phone (a prepaid one at that), no one in our house owns an iPod, Wii, DS, Guitar Hero, or such.

The kids did each get a Roboraptor (remote-controlled dino), a simple digital camera, books, and some Legos, so we're not entirely tech-adverse, just thoughtful about it. DH and I both work in the IT field and would rather escape from it in our off hours.

Although my four range from 7 to 2, we haven't bought any of the electronic gadgets that somehow have become de rigeur.

The kids' big gifts were treasure chests their dad made (and they get to paint) and bikes. They also each received a book, a couple of the small Dover activity books (tailored to individual interests), a Laptop Lunchbox, Clementine oranges, and old fashioned peppermint sticks.

I know you neither know me IRL nor really virtually "know" me; so, I do hope you don't mind me chiming in. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

DD19 has: i-pod, laptop, and cell phone. All purchased by her, with money she earned, and all bought in the last couple of years. We gave her an old computer to use in her room when she was 16, but before that she had to share with me and she was allowed very little access.

DD7 has: none of the above, no video games, no nothing. He does have some DVDs to watch when WE say he can watch them, he has a couple of remote-control vehicles, and he has a cell phone with no battery. It was a retired display model that he somehow charmed out of a salesman at the cell phone kiosk at Costco. :)

DH and I do not have any gaming systems, no mp3 players, and only use prepaid cell phones from TracFone. We do both use the computer a lot, mostly for communication and research...like reading these boards. :)

DH works in a techie job, he is surrounded by high-end technology, and he has to know how to use and maintain it. He's had parents tell him how good their children would be at his job or at working for him because of their experience playing with tech toys. His response is usually "Does he take out the trash for you? Does he mow the lawn? Does he work really hard when you need him to? Any kid can learn how to use the tech gadgets; I could teach him in very little time. But if you haven't taught him to be a good worker, he won't be a good employee."

9 battery-free Christmases and counting.

I love it! When ds was little, we made it pretty clear to the grandparents that we were not interested in anything electronic. Dh's family complied very willingly. Certain members of my family did not. Since they chose to ignore our requests, we chose not to keep those items. ;)

We've never given our dc tech toys. However, my 13 yo announced this fall that what she wants for Christmas is gift certificates (for clothes) and money so that she can save for an iPod. The reason she knows as much about iPods as she does is because a friend of ours used one to demonstrate what attributes are when he was sharing about the attributes of God. We didn't give her any money, since I'd already shopped, but she did get a bit from relatives. She still has a long way to go. We're letting her save up, because her taste in music is eclectic, but she's choosy and, so far, in a good way (even if we don't like all of the same music, she has sound standards--pun wasn't intended.)

That said, she still likes to play with legos, board games, etc.

We were the beneficiary of a Game Cube that my son's friend replaced with a better system. Sure wish the parents had checked with us first...

15 yo has an ipod. He once had a handheld game, but sold it after 2 months to buy a guitar : )

Then 11 yo got a handheld game last year, and broke it in half in a fit of temper after 3 weeks. Needless to say, it wasn't replaced. In fact my kids have been so successful at getting rid of techie stuff I assume it is not that important to them. : )

Nevertheless, I do NOT favor tech gifts for my kids. It requires too much monitoring from me and I find that incredibly annoying.

My children do own "techie" toys. And they are content with simple gifts...this year my oldest got sketch pads, books, calendar, socks. Many non-techie gifts, all of which she'll use and enjoy. Her sister got clothes and a calendar. My younger guys got Legos and balls and board games and books.

The kids also got two video games for Christmas, and the two oldest own iPods and cell phones.

Today the children read and played Legos first, then video games, then we played a board game, then they were off to play more Legos. For a while Hot Wheels drove around talking to one another. Right now the boys are playing with Keva blocks (not sure where the girls are off to).

I appreciate and support your choices, so I'm not trying to change your mind or say "You're wrong". As a matter of fact, I grew up without a tv and and if I hadn't married my wonderful gadget-man, I'd probably stand squarely in the no-gadgets-please camp.

But I don't think it has to be an either/or. Children with gadgets can also appreciate and enjoy--and choose--screenless time. I'm more concerned about children who must have gadgets, children who get nothing but, children who can't entertain themselves without.

Cat

I hear ya. At times it's been painful to watch dd as she converses with her friends. They all have Nintendo DS's, Wii's, cell phones, Play Stations etc :rolleyes:. She doesn't have any of that. For the most part - 90% of the time - she is not bothered by this...I kinda am. I guess I should say I go in spurts. Sometimes I'm fine with it...even glad it's this way. Other times, I feel sad for her because her conversations are limited with her friends (this would be where she has "holes" in her knowledge per a recent post).

She got a set of Cherry Ames books today, Daring Book for Girls, The Original Girl's Handybook and she has been consuming at a rapid rate all of the Betsy-Tacy books as of late. She's on the last one - Betsy's Wedding, right now. I overheard part of a phone conversation the other day she was having with her friend. I heard her explaining about the books, trying to convince her friend to check them out. I don't hold out much hope.*sigh* My ds, meanwhile, received a chess set today, a 3-D dinosaur puzzle, a race car track, Tom Sawyer and The BFG. He's super excited about all of it. So far, neither of them have asked for tech toys. It helps that dh and I don't have any either though. We're cell phone free, which is almost completely unheard of these days.

I also, wonder if there are any others like "us". I wish I knew someone IRL. Even *my* best friend was so excited when I was talking about my desire to get the kids a Wii "just because" (during one of my weak moments when our lack of technology was bothering me). She was over the top excited at the prospect of being able to have conversations with *me* about the games, to send us gift cards to gaming stores...it was kinda surprising to hear her excitment and then sadness when I told her we weren't going to cave in.

They only watch PBS, and even then it's 2 shows only. Internet usage is highly controlled, she doesn't have her own email account...

...Yeah, I get you...

Edited by Janna

When I first read your subject line I thought, "Golly, we love giving giving techie gifts!" What do I know . . . We never give the kind you're talking about. none.

One of the techie gifts I gave was all the components to make an Intruder Alert (clothes pin, aluminum tape, wire, soldering gun, voice recorder component from Radio Shack, 9 volt battery, foam tape, super glue, lid from a milk jug, a zip tie, and a copy of the instructions).

We thought of this one a really high-tech because of the voice distortion component. http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Toys-games/Giggle-Gear-Mega-Mask/e/9781933152134

As far as games are concerned, all board games.

My daughter loves to make and create. We tend toward buying her things that help her do that. We bought her the stuff to make a Foggy Bubble Blower (dry ice bubble blower) and a zip line for the back yard.

ipods, et c. . . . nope.

Interesting question. My dd got two wii games this year (Smarty Pants and Brain Age) and she's not taken them out of the wrappers yet. She's spent the entire day playing with her AG doll, making accessories for it. So far, she's made a sleigh, a jump rope, a drum set, a purse, and some hair accessories for the doll. Later, she wants to play her new board game, "Last Word."

(((Colleen))) We enjoy simple things too.

The only techie thing my children have is iPod shuffles, and the only reason we got them two years ago was that we were in for a spate of several cross-country trips by air. They only have classic, quality audiobooks and approved music on them, and they are only allowed to use them in plane travel or now and then for long car rides, and then only for prescribed periods (1 hr individual story time, then 1 hour playing together, etc.). Oh, and they weren't Christmas gifts. We just bought them before the first plane trip and presented them without ceremony, so they certainly have no expectations at holidays for such things.

For Christmas, my daughter got yarn so she can knit more scarves, a set of Josefina books she's been wanting, and a set of books about birds. She is also getting a new doll wardrobe made of wood, but it's not quite done yet (she has helped design it and my husband is making it).

My son got the set of Ivan books from Timberdoodle, four books about skyscrapers and other engineering feats, a set of Lego NASA rockets, and a shuttle playset (he has always been gaga over the shuttle). I do admit that I got him the 50th anniversary Discovery/NASA DVD set. We will watch it as a family, but it's "his."

They have spent the afternoon when not playing with new stuff playing out in the snow and putting together a castle model they have been cutting and gluing.

When the children get on the computer, they are practicing their typing, learning LOGO, learning SketchUp, or something productive. The closest they get to playing computer games is trying to beat the computer at chess. We are a computer family but we believe they should be taught that the computer is a tool, not a toy.

I think they have seen/played a Wii a total of two times, when we went to a family activity night that had one set up. No game systems or electronics here (although my son does have a couple of remote-control cars). I figure they have the rest of their lives for that stuff, but only one chance to be a child and play with actual toys. We have lots of classic toys, Legos, and things that most definitely do NOT beep. They are not deprived, but they have rich imaginative playtimes. Many is the time that a space shuttle married a doll and had baby space shuttles in our home ; ). Recently during dark evenings they have been building model rockets to fly in the spring at rocket launches.

Edited by WTMCassandra

Our dc are ages 9 to 22 now; 2 are graduated, 1 graduates this spring, rest are younger.

We have chosen to go without any game system in our house. Never bought one. Can't say I never will, but it's not in the plans.

My older three have bought their own iPod/mp3 players and cell phones with their own money. Actually I think their first cell phones were free and dh & I arranged the family plan that we have (but ds1 was going to college, and ds had gotten his license, so we wanted them to have something, but.. yeah... they were older). When they wanted newer phones, they could pick whatever they wanted to pay for.

We still have the family plan, but they pay for their own usage. I think we're covering the basics for ds2 now that he's in college, but he has to pay for any downloads and overage.

Oldest two have laptop computers which they purchased themselves (mostly with graduation gift money, but still).

My younger dc (14 and under) do not have any tech gadgets. Their turns will come in due time I'm sure.

We are tech-free here as well. My kids are quite content without these these things and we'd like to keep it that way. It seems like once you go down that road there is no turning back. My sister commented today that my dd was so nice to buy for because she is genuinely happy with whatever she receives...and the gifts are usually simple: pajamas, books, dd's own sewing supplies, socks. I love the attitude my children have toward "stuff." They never ask for it, never think they need it and seem delightfully surprised when people give them things.

Carolyn

Right here! We do have computers, but they don't belong to the kids, they're ours, and the kids' time on them is extremely limited (and to almost all educational stuff).

I've never given the kids a single thing that needs power to work (they're 10.5 and 8), and have no plans to change this in the near future. They've never asked for anything like that, either.

I need some company.:) Aside from some friends of ours in Switzerland ~ who have four boys, oldest 14 yo ~ is there anyone else I "know" who has yet to give their children tech stuff? "Tech" for lack of a better word. I'm talking about things ranging from cell phones to iPods to game systems to Guitar Hero ~ and so on. I'm not even sure why I'm asking. I mean, I'm happy with how we do things. I'm not going to buy things just because other people buy them. I appreciate that even my 13.5 year old son is content with gifts like a Lego set, board game, book (Scarlet Pimpernel this year), ski socks, and a shirt. But...gosh and golly. Are we really completely alone in just enjoying the "simple" stuff and playing outside? I kinda think so, judging by how few guys are interested in coming over here and hanging out.:confused:

If a laptop counts (and I can see how it could and how it couldn't) then no. Otherwise, a laptop is the only "techy" thing my kids have. No video gaming, no gadgets, well, a CD player and a cassette player. So I dunno.

after NO tech toys ever due to lack of interest on their part plus us wanting them to enjoy and old-fashioned childhood. Dd9 asked for and got an mp3 player. The first thing she put on it-Beethoven! She wanted it for her classical music and audiobooks-how could we refuse that?!! I just hope it's not a slippery slope, but they show absolutely no interest anyway.

We haven't gone there yet.

Well, they do have mp3 players; they have books on tape and the Bible on them (we got them free, and so it was cheaper than radios.) They can take them on very long car rides; otherwise they are put away. They use Word on the non-internet computer to type reports. They also watch a movie every once in a while.

They are never bored without electronics. They build forts and snow houses in the back yard. They ride their bikes all over the property. They draw for hours, build LEGO cities, read books, and the girls sew and crochet all sorts of things. At some point, I will teach them to use cell phones, the internet, and so forth; but for now, it is doing their brains good to be disconnected, imho.

You won't get many visitors since most kids love high tech, but if you are ok with that then enjoy!

We use technology to enhance hand eye coordination and other skills, which has helped my DD soooo much. She used to have trouble keeping up with games like four square, but after a few weeks with Wii she is now a four square champ! We also understand that our kids are going to play these things when they go to other houses or even out in public with others, so we are trying to teach them what is acceptable in terms of games and what is not. My kids don't need a cell phone yet due to age, but with the lack of pay phones that will be on the list when they are away from us as they get older.

It really is a personal choice, and hey he may become a computer nerd like my husband (also not allowed tech stuff). Be sure to warn his wife that their house may look like Best Buy exploded in there LOL!

We're in the no/low techie group, too. The dc have a shuffle for audio-books. They also share a cell phone so *I* may call them if I'm delayed picking them up from an activity.

Last summer, though, when dc took tennis lessons, our older dd couldn't walk up to a BARN and hit it with the tennis racket. I thought, "Well, this is a consequence for not having video games around for 10 years." (eye-hand coordination) :glare: However, a couple of weeks playing tennis itself solved the lack of eye-hand coordination. She became so good at tennis, it was as if she had been playing video games for years! :001_smile:

I broke down this year in June and got my 12 yo a Nintendo DS and it has just snowballed from there. Against all of my principles, we got a Wii for the family today. Don't tell anyone, but it's kind of fun.:001_smile:

This was me! With our older ds, we had lots of games, etc. We decided to do much less gaming with our younger kids. That worked for about 10 years, then we caved and got dd a Nintendo DS for Christmas last year. I was really worried she would be obsessed with it. It really didn't happen. She goes in spurts with it. It has been great for the many long car trips we have taken this year. The best thing about it is that she plays animal crossing with her three adult aunts. It is really great game for helping her read and write better. Well... this Christmas my oldest ds offered to split the cost of a Wii. We went back and forth on whether it was a good idea or not. In the end we decided to do it, but to hopefully stick with the games that require movement. I am also excited about hopefully getting a Wii fit for ME. We haven't played it yet, because we have been too busy today. I am looking forward to family game night with the Wii.

While giving simple gifts and allowing the children to appreciate the simpler times, are you short changing your child by not exposing him to the other possibilities?

It's not so much about intentionally promoting "simpler" times. I wouldn't even describe it as simpler, necessarily. I'm just doing what comes naturally to me, if that makes sense.

Not referring to now b/c obviously he's quite content, but are you limiting his future options because of lack of exposure?

What do you mean? How would not owning a cell phone, iPod, laptop, and so on limit a 13 year old's future options? Help me better understand your perspective. Thanks!:)

I remember that LeapFrog stuff was new and all the rage at my firstborn's first holiday. Oh, how purple my mother turned when I told her that if she bought him that stuff I'd give it to GoodWill! But had I not threatened to do so, she would have bought it, no matter how much I insisted she not. She gave him his first bottle... pacifier... disposable diaper... BACON (we were converting to Orthodox Judaism at the time)...

Every year since I have declared, "Nothing that requires electricity!" Every year I have stood my ground. But last year Grandma gave the kids a Wii. They're only allowed to play about four hours a month, but I guess I still don't count as totally non-techy, hm? And of course the stepkid has all this stuff at his mom's house. He's so lost when he comes here, wandering in circles, begging for access to the computer. I never want that for my kids.

In the end we decided to do it, but to hopefully stick with the games that require movement.

Exactly! We will only own games that require movement. Any driving or shooting games they have to earn and rent. Infrequently. That's the plan anyway.

The thing that clinched it for me is that the kids occupational therapist (motor skills issues) recommends them. After playing with the thing today, I can see why.

I don't think it has to be an either/or. Children with gadgets can also appreciate and enjoy--and choose--screenless time.

Certainly! I didn't mean, in posting as I did, to imply otherwise. My own life is very tech free (aside from this computer), and the same is true, even moreso, of my husband. So it stands to reason our boys are pretty much the same. Our oldest would like to have an iPod and he's welcome to buy that with his own money ~ which he has, since we pay him for working for us. But we wouldn't want him to use it around us/others, or while working. He also talks at times of wanting a cell phone. Again, he'd have to pay for it and I think he himself realizes there's really no point other than having a gadget.

This reminds me of something that happened a couple of months ago when I bought my iPhone (to replace an old cell phone with expired contract+iPod shuffle that wouldn't let me see the names of the homeschool talks I was trying to listen to+an ancient PDA about to die any minute).

My son said the day I got it, "Could I get an iPhone?" I was torn between answering, "What do YOU need an iPhone for?" and "Over My Dead Body!" I think I said both of them.

I can see getting them cell phones when they can drive and are actually away from us, but at 10 and 12, they have NO reason AT ALL to need a cell phone. I think my engineer-minded son just likes the gadget coolness of it all.

My oldest received his first tech gift last year, at 16. Youngest, 12, has no tech stuff. Oh. Unless a remote control car counts? :D

You're not entirely alone.

We're not tech-free. Ds uses the computer to play Roblox sometimes, and we do some math and spelling drills on it, plus look up tons of things for school.

As for other tech-gadgets, no. No game systems. I won't budge on that either. There's a computer to play games on if you really want! Besides, we only have one tv, so a game system means someone monopolizes that, which isn't fair.

Ds probably wouldn't be as interested in the computer were it not for the harsher days of winter. Even then, he still wants to go outside. I don't think we're depriving him.

What it boils down to is this: I'm not playing the consumerist/materialist game. I'm. Just. Not.

And it's funny you should post this today because after my kids got off the phone with their cousins, who got an x-box for Christmas, I was subjected to the usual guilty feeling wondering if we're ripping our kids off by not buying them these gadgets. I will say that it's not that we won't EVER buy them a gaming system I just tell my kids that if we buy them those things at their ages now, what's left when they're teenagers.

I guess each family has to decide what works for them (but sometimes it's hard being the oddball).

We are tech-free here as well. My kids are quite content without these these things and we'd like to keep it that way. It seems like once you go down that road there is no turning back. My sister commented today that my dd was so nice to buy for because she is genuinely happy with whatever she receives...and the gifts are usually simple: pajamas, books, dd's own sewing supplies, socks. I love the attitude my children have toward "stuff." They never ask for it, never think they need it and seem delightfully surprised when people give them things.

Carolyn

I am reading this entire thread with interest because we are a middle of the road techie household. My dc each have an mp3 player, Game Boys, a DS that they share, a Game Cube (which is rarely played anymore) and a Wii. Oh, they have a pre-paid cell phone that they share so they can call us or Grandma when they are at sport practices or something like that.

I quoted the above post because my dc are exactly the same as the dd in the post. My dd asked for art card games, sewing supplies, a book and a video game. She also received smelly pencils, pj's, socks, gloves and slippers (among a few other little items) which she enjoyed opening just as much as the video game. Same goes for my ds who received some lego sets, a book, a couple video games, smelly pencils, silly putty (this has become a tradition for him to get in his stocking) pj's, slippers, shirts and a hat (also a few other little things). He loves his slippers and has already put together his legos and only played 1 of his video games for about 15 minutes.

All this to say, I really do think that it is more about how kids are raised than the gadgets they are given. My dc have some tech stuff, but they still enjoy the simple things and they are polite to company. :)

Edited by Deece in MN

We have zippo, nada, zilch tech toys/equipment of any kind here and trust me - in this neck of the woods - that is definitely swimming upstream. Other parents practically accuse me of neglect because I do not have video games, cell phones, ipods, etc., for my dc. Heck, around here, you get a souped-up BMW for your 15th birthday even though you can't drive it - legally - until you're 16. Nice. :glare:

We are the definite "outsiders" on this issue and I am happy to be so.

And our kids definitely have less in the way of techie stuff than most of their friends.

They each have a laptop, used mostly for school. My husband recently replaced our daughter's Dell with a Mac, and I'm sort of irritable about it, because she's much more interested in the computer than us most of the time. She does need a computer for school, though, and the other one had outlived its usefulness. So, I'll get over it. (And I'm sure she'll be better about it once the novelty wears off.) They do both play some games on their computers, but my son has pretty strict rules about what he plays and often goes weeks without having time or permission to do that.

Neither of them is allowed to take the laptop into their bedrooms. And they have no TVs in their rooms, either.

We all have iPods or mp3 players. My daughter got a new one for Christmas, because she had inherited the first one my husband bought well over two years ago. It had much less storage space and required batteries. Music--specifically Broadway stuff--is a huge passion of hers and may well be her career. Having a convenient way to store and listen to music is a big deal for her. My son got a little Sansa clip model last year and rarely uses it. I use mine mostly for audiobooks and radio podcasts. It saves my sanity on long car trips and allows me to block out the noise when I'm waiting for my son at his dance school.

The other techie gifts for the kids this year were a RoboQuad for my son and a karaoke machine for my daughter. (Again with the music. She and her friends in the dorm love to sing together, so we got two mics and went heavy on show tunes.) That was it, unless you count the sewing machine. (I don't, because it's a tool, not a toy.) My son also got a ton of books and, probably his favorite gift of the year, a big construction set his dad assembled for him (plastic piping of various lengths, different types of connectors, etc.). Other than the iPod, I think my daughter's favorite gift was the photo book I made for her.

The do both have cell phones, and have since they were 8 and 10. Again, though, they are tools, not toys. We got to a point at which I was leaving one or both of them places for periods of time, and I really needed to be able to contact them or have them contact me. And now, with our daughter away at college most of the year, the cell phone is our primary method of keeping in touch. Neither of them uses their phones to chat or text with friends. Most of the time, my son doesn't even take his phone with him unless I make him do so.

We have no game system (other than my husband's old PS2, which hasn't been hooked up for two years) and no handhelds. In fact, I'm always a bit bemused and frustrated when I'm backstage at my son's dance and theatre stuff, because pretty much ALL the boys (and many of the girls) bring a DS or some other such gadget to amuse them. My son doesn't have one and isn't getting one. He usually brings a book (which he can't read because of the noise of the other kids shouting about their games) and sometimes a card or board game (which he can't talk anyone into playing because they're busy with the electronics).

Eh. I don't know. I sometimes get sad that it feels like so much of our lives is taken up with electronics. But, for us at least, these are mostly objects that are truly useful in some way and, in the case of iPods, for example, just replace an earlier thing. I had a stereo in my room when I was a kid and a transistor radio with earphones. Now my own children have iPods. The new things are smaller and more convenient, but they serve pretty much the same function.

I believe that another fundamental need kids have is space - or perhaps I mean time. They need to have unscheduled time, time to be bored, time to explore, to daydream, to integrate all their new learning and experiences and, as they get older, space to begin to learn how to structure their own time meaningfully while having an environment that sets them up to make good choices.]

Eliana, I totally agree! My 3 kids (2-1/2, 3-1/2, 5-1/2) can keep themselves occupied for HOURS with just a table of paper, crayons, glue sticks, and scissors. The art table has been the best part about being buried in snow here in Portland. We've done lots of art projects, most of it just things made up by the kids. And the littlest (14 mos) is the happy recipient of many little gifts.

They make up ways to play together all the time, and rarely, rarely require my input, though I'm always happy to supply it! I just love that they can dream up ways to learn things and play for long stretches of time all on their own. It's when I see my oldest spontaneously write sentences about her brother, or make up a story for her little sister, or think of a new way to draw a fish, or... It's a blast!

DH works in a techie job, he is surrounded by high-end technology, and he has to know how to use and maintain it. He's had parents tell him how good their children would be at his job or at working for him because of their experience playing with tech toys. His response is usually "Does he take out the trash for you? Does he mow the lawn? Does he work really hard when you need him to? Any kid can learn how to use the tech gadgets; I could teach him in very little time. But if you haven't taught him to be a good worker, he won't be a good employee."

Good point. Which isn't to say young people who are into tech stuff can't also be hard workers. Just that some people mistakenly believe "the earlier the better" as far as exposure to computers, etc. is concerned.

....I'm glad you posted. So many points you made in particular resonated with me. To string a few snippets together:

I think that kids need work, real, valuable work, far more than they need diversions. I believe that kids, especially teens, need to be part of the work of their family and/or community in a meaningful way...I believe that another fundamental need kids have is space - or perhaps I mean time...and I feel strongly that the many, often electronic, entertainment devices so common these days get in the way of kids' most important needs.

And, no, I do not feel that they are missing out on anything important at all. I believe that smart kids with solid skills who have experience learning new things and who have spent their lives reading, thinking, learning, exploring, and discovering will be able to pick up specific skill sets without difficulty.

I agree on all counts.

This was typed in fragments here and there throughout the evening - I hope it is at least somewhat intelligible! ... but, Colleen honey, you are not alone at all! [i have a partially written email I started ages ago to you, hon, but we've had computer issues and a... full life lately, so I haven't gotten back to it, but I have been thinking of you a lot and have some inarticulate ramblings I wanted to share, fwiw :grouphug: ]

I hope you're able to send that along at some point. I'm all ears whenever you have a chance to share.:)

I really do think that it is more about how kids are raised than the gadgets they are given. My dc have some tech stuff, but they still enjoy the simple things and they are polite to company.

I understand. While we prefer to avoid the tech "gadgets", I'm not under the false assumption that all young people using them are incapable of enjoying the simpler pleasures. I truly did not post as a means of casting judgment on those who make other choices. I was just looking for company from those who share our preferences.:)

"...send Mindy's kids on over!":)

Tangent: I'm not going to lie. My boys have a distinct lack of friends. Believe me (I'm not biased;)), they really are normal ~ whatever that means. They get along well with anyone and everyone. They're good at many things, interested in all manner of things. They are such nice people but the only one who has someone I would call a true friend is my 6 year old. My oldest made some progress in developing a couple of stronger friendships last summer. That's when the guys could all mess around back by the river. But now those other boys are in school (virtually every single boy my oldest knows goes to school, which explains why he wants to go there, too), and our place indoors just doesn't have the "attractions". It's hard.