Menu

Another cup thread…what is in your personal water bottle collection

Indigo Blue

And what purpose does it serve?

I have a small amount of cabinet space dedicated to water bottles. I’ve seen people with massive collections! Nothing wrong with that if you have space. I’ve slowly built a carefully selected collection where each ones serves a purpose and is not “extra”. Just one of each type. 

The new favorite….the Stanley 30 oz tumbler with handle (for car, everyday)

A 28 oz Simple Modern cup. (General purpose. If using the spill proof lid, it can double as a thermos) keeps things ridiculously hot/cold

A smaller pretty Starbucks cup with twist on lid. (Herbal tea)  doesn’t perform as well as keeping hot/cold but is pretty and good enough

Even smaller 16 oz Yeti cup for smoothies.

A large Life Factory glass spill proof water bottle with carry handle for outings that won’t be too rough for the glass. Love this one. 

A largish Kleen Kanteen stainless water bottle with carry handle top that is used when I know it will get banged around. Lots of dings but it’s the oldest one I have. It’s a fav.

One spill proof stainless steel bottle that will fit in bicycle water bottle cage. 

And a large Yeti mug that also can double as a thermos or be a hot “food jar”. It’s not spill proof, but with the Magslider closed, it’s easy to transport with just a little care. 

Got to go finish working outside. Just had a strange urge to talk about cups. 😬

Our collection is vast, and ever changing as things eventually wear out or break.

We used to have three glass Life Factory bottles, two have broken.  They have no durability if dropped.  We still have Youngest's Kleen Kanteen from her toddler years, though it is rarely used these days.  We have two huge hydro flasks, which I like, and one smaller tumbler version which keeps my coffee way too hot to drink for the first three hours, but is great for long days hiking.  The rtic tumblers are decreasing in number---due to gradual losses from kids. We have three Simply Modern tumblers. Two have ongoing rust issues, and I'm honestly not a fan.  We keep them because they fit under the Keurig for making tea or coffee, but there's no love.  We have several Stanley food jars, but I haven't yet gotten the tumbler, though I should have when they came through Costco.

At this point we probably have 18 tumblers and water bottles combined--roughly 3 a person? Everyone has a bedside water bottle. Most people carry water with them when out, as we've all been spoiled by the taste of our highly filtered water. We have extras because half of our family has ADHD and I want to avoid last minute panic when they can't find what they want as they are trying to get out the door. In my idea world, everyone would have one water bottle and one food jar, but that doesn't match our daily living needs.

• Like 2

I'm dedicated to Contigo West Loop AutoSeal travel mugs. I have one for coffee and one for water. They keep my coffee hot for many hours and my  water cold for many hours. They do not leak ever. They aren't breakable.  And most importantly they're easy for my arthritic hands to hold. Very arthritic hands means something that is easy to hold, spill proof and unbreakable are needs, not just wants.

DS uses a Simple Modern straw tumbler a lot, and we have an Ozark from Walmart that rarely gets used at all. DH prefers our Tervis glasses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm dedicated to Contigo West Loop AutoSeal travel mugs. I have one for coffee and one for water. They keep my coffee hot for many hours and my  water cold for many hours. They do not leak ever. They aren't breakable.  And most importantly they're easy for my arthritic hands to hold. Very arthritic hands means something that is easy to hold, spill proof and unbreakable are needs, not just wants.

DS uses a Simple Modern straw tumbler a lot, and we have an Ozark from Walmart that rarely gets used at all. DH prefers our Tervis glasses.

Those look nice! I agree with you about your needing something easy to hold. I’m glad those work for you. They aren’t overly expensive, either. For me, I can’t believe the difference it makes having a handle. And I do need to make myself drink because I tend to not drink hardly anything until I get dehydrated. So I carry a lot of water and constantly try to sip. I’m just never thirsty!

• Like 1

For camping and outdoors:  Standard 1L nalgene water bottle, and GSR infinity much for hot drinks

For life in town, Contigo autoseal.  100% spill-proof and leak-proof, reasonably well insulated, and comfortable in the hand.  The canteen at work will fill it for me, to avoid take-out cups.  Fast food and coffee shops do this too.

And a proper screw-top thermos vacuum bottle for when I want tea to stay properly hot for many hours.  Decant into contigo to drink it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

These are my dd's favorite too. We have 3 in different colors. If you put the colored ones in the dishwasher, the paint/stain/whatever is coming off the body of one. 

The company she is going to work for sent a swag bag of goodies, and one item was a YETI like (don't think it is a real YETI) one with their logo. That is currently her favorite, but I think the fact it has their company logo on there has something to do with it. It isn't spill proof, so in my mind, not as useful. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bambam said:

If you put the colored ones in the dishwasher, the paint/stain/whatever is coming off the body of one. 

I always hand wash mine, but I still stick with the stainless steel ones anyway to make sure I avoid that problem. A long time ago I bought one of the non SS ones and learned not to do that again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

These are my dd's favorite too. We have 3 in different colors. If you put the colored ones in the dishwasher, the paint/stain/whatever is coming off the body of one. 

Mine is missing about half its paint.  Eventually it will be bare steel LOL.   It has dents too, and lid is scratched, from having dropped it eleventy-billion times.  And it still functions perfectly - keeps my drink hot, never leaks, feels good in the hand.   It has a certain well-used, well-loved beauty of its own.

• Like 3

I have a nalgene water bottle that I take everywhere. My family members each have one too. Ds also has a larger Yeti for sports practice when the weather is hot.

We have a small collection of inexpensive steel tumblers for hot drinks on the go. They work fine and fit in my car. 

• Like 1

https://www.mariniferlazzo.com.au/collections/double-wall-insulated-bottles/products/galah-double-wall-insulated-bottle-500ml

I have this with the Sulphur crest design,

https://www.liltreasures.com.au/oasis-insulated-drink-bottle-750ml-boho-elephant.html

this one 

and the big Yeti one. 

The second one gets used most because it’s enough water to not run out most of the time and small/light enough to put in a bag to carry around. I love that the Yeti one goes in the dishwasher but it’s a bit big for work. If I take it I tend to drink too much and need a bathroom break plus it’s heavy and doesn’t fit in a bag. It is great for tennis though.

• Like 1

We also have the Yeti travel mugs in large for DH and I, a small one for oldest Ds, a pile of fish washable Tupperware ones and some promotional merchandise ones. A couple of thermos brand stainless ones. A couple with possibly missing straws and bits. I really need tondeclutter that drawer.

• Like 1

A gift from Mrs Spy Car: 64 oz Stanley Go IceFlow Flip Straw in "Lagoon"

s-l1600.jpg

She has one of her own in Polar White, which is also a nice looking option.

These have a huge internal straw, so they function like a big sippy-cup, or one can remove the straw and knock the drink back like a real man.

These are the bomb!

Bill (who has found "sippy-cup" option surprisingly agreeable :tongue:

• Like 3

I have 3 Hydroflasks, all 20 ounce with wide mouth.  All with off brand lids that have a loop and spout with twist off lid. One is for cold drinks the others for coffee. The coffee smell eventually gets into the lid and I don't want that smell in my cold drinks. BTW Hydroflask is good about replacing lids tho, if you need one. 

DD14 has two similar SS bottles. One 24ish oz, and one 32oz. She also has a plastic Brimma bottle and a separate neoprene sleeve for school..

We have 3 hot Starbucks travel coffee cups of different styles (gifts from gift-exchanges)

BF has probably 12 drink cups/bottles. LOL From 8 ounce all the way to half gallon size.

DD24 has probably 10 or so. So many different styles, that I can't even remember them all. She lives in the dessert and drinks over a gallon of fluids a day due to a health issue. 

I have a Tervis cup my friend gave me with her company logo and I use that in the car with a straw.

Honestly what I use the most fall, winter, spring is a cheap smart water bottle with flip top that I reuse and use for months and months….at the gym, in the car, at work.

• Like 2

We used and loved our Klean Kanteens for years and years, and they are still going strong, though a bit dinged up.  I don't like them because I prefer my water room temp and not as cold as stainless keeps it.  I have switched to a couple of Tervis 24 oz. tumblers with lids, and they're my holy grain.  They clean up easily in the dishwasher, have a spout that can use a straw or not (I use without), are BPA-free plastic, have a very secure lid, spout slides closed so they only leak a tiny bit if they are tipped over, they fit in a cupholder, they have a lifetime warranty, can do hot or cold, and they're pretty.

This is one I have: https://www.tervis.com/japanese-cherry-blossom-wrap-24oz-tumbler-1261041.html

• Like 1

I like the 20oz Tervis stainless steel cups. I have two. One that always has water in it and is either at my desk, elliptical, in my car, or next to me on the couch. It always has water in it. My other one is used for mixed drinks when I'm sitting outside on the deck or by the fire pit. 

• Like 1

8oz Kleen Kanteen for my backpacks with shallow water bottle holders. If I screw the lid on too tight, I need a chopstick or pen to twist open the lid.

18oz Yeti rambler for my larger backpacks and for car rides. The lid is useful for carrying and also easy to twist open with three fingers even if I closed it too tightly. 

40oz Hydroflask that is only used if we want to bring along hot water for tea, instant cup noodles etc

I have a Yeti rambler 14oz mug for coffee for home use. I use that mug for eating ice cream as well. I don’t use the lid.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

For myself,  I have a single Nalgene bottle that I use for everything except drinking my pre-workout drink.  For that I use a cheap shaker bottle.

Everyone else in my house has random water bottles that I find cheap at goodwill because they lose theirs regularly so I won't pay more than $1 for them

• Like 1

I have several 24 & 32 oz Simple Modern tumblers with straw or flip lids that I use for cold drinks, a 40 oz Bubba tumbler that I use for protein smoothies, and a 24 oz Starbucks travel cup that was a gift from DD that I use for hot tea. DD uses a very beat up Hydroflask for water and a Yeti tumbler for tea and other drinks, and DS uses 40 oz Thermoflasks for everything. 

• Like 1

It’s embarrassing how many we have-

Ones for desk at work, hydro flasks for kayaking, Nalgene for hiking, my gym bottle, cute  cup style ones with lids and straws I got as gifts (teacher… I only keep my favorites but still…)

then, travel mugs too

plus they are one little thing that brings me joy in my day so I don’t feel guilty about the collection, 😝 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I have two of these 18 oz. Thermos water bottles. I thought I lost one and bought another one. Shortly after I bought it I got a call from my physical therapy office. They knew it was mine and held on to it for me but kept forgetting to let me know they had it. So now I have two. I'm the only one who uses them.

We have four of these Owala 32 oz. bottles. I was shocked at the price when looking them up for this thread. We bought them several years ago in two packs at Sams for $19.99 per pack. We paid $40 for four and they now cost $25 just for one! Dh, ds, and I each have one we always use, and then there's a spare. They're kind of big to fit in the car cup holder. They do fit but it's tight. I also think they're too big around for small hands like mine. Still, I like them enough not to go and buy something different. They keep water cold for a long time. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

All I need to haul is hot coffee because for water I bring a giant sparkling water bottle if I remember or more likely just don’t drink enough.  The coffee is super important and can’t be too hot as then I can’t drink it. Therefore, the yeti cups are a huge fail for me. Honestly what works best is a mason jar 🤷‍♀️ I have a 10 year old random stainless steel cup from Starbucks I also use, it’s very plain with a flip lid. I don’t use plastic. 

• Like 2

I don't own a water bottle for myself.  I just keep re-using a plastic "disposable" water bottle until I can't any more.

My kids have various water bottles that they got for Christmas and a couple that they bought themselves.  I have purged a lot of them - usually the promo ones.  They often leak and they aren't often used.  I think my kids' current favorite is a Gatorade thing that is meant to be used with "pods."

• Like 1

Yeti mug for hot beverages and a yeti tumbler for water. My kids all have yeti jrs for water. Each kid has their own tea/hot chocolate cup. Water glasses and coffee mugs are reserved for guests. I think we have a total of 6 water glasses and 6 coffee cups? 

• Like 1

We mostly use Klean Kanteens. DS just acquired a second 32-oz. Nalgene for backpacking, and he uses a Hydroflask at home so he doesn't wander off during school because he wanted water.

We own a few others but don't use them as often--I keep a few for when we have out-of-town guests, as we take them for picnics, etc.

I've found that a pint canning jar fits in my cup holder and often bring that with me, so I know how much I'm drinking. (I drink out of jars at home, too, for the same reason.)

1 hour ago, 73349 said:

We mostly use Klean Kanteens. DS just acquired a second 32-oz. Nalgene for backpacking, and he uses a Hydroflask at home so he doesn't wander off during school because he wanted water.

We own a few others but don't use them as often--I keep a few for when we have out-of-town guests, as we take them for picnics, etc.

I've found that a pint canning jar fits in my cup holder and often bring that with me, so I know how much I'm drinking. (I drink out of jars at home, too, for the same reason.)

I love Klean Kanteen. Tried and true. 

On 4/6/2023 at 1:57 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Our collection is vast, and ever changing as things eventually wear out or break.

We used to have three glass Life Factory bottles, two have broken.  They have no durability if dropped.  We still have Youngest's Kleen Kanteen from her toddler years, though it is rarely used these days.  We have two huge hydro flasks, which I like, and one smaller tumbler version which keeps my coffee way too hot to drink for the first three hours, but is great for long days hiking.  The rtic tumblers are decreasing in number---due to gradual losses from kids. We have three Simply Modern tumblers. Two have ongoing rust issues, and I'm honestly not a fan.  We keep them because they fit under the Keurig for making tea or coffee, but there's no love.  We have several Stanley food jars, but I haven't yet gotten the tumbler, though I should have when they came through Costco.

At this point we probably have 18 tumblers and water bottles combined--roughly 3 a person? Everyone has a bedside water bottle. Most people carry water with them when out, as we've all been spoiled by the taste of our highly filtered water. We have extras because half of our family has ADHD and I want to avoid last minute panic when they can't find what they want as they are trying to get out the door. In my idea world, everyone would have one water bottle and one food jar, but that doesn't match our daily living needs.

You know -- I wonder if ADD in the house is why I like having extras of all the things

I remember for the longest time we even had two winter jackets after my husband picked my son up the last day before Christmas break and left the coat behind (We are in Texas, it was warm enough in the afternoon not to need it, but cold enough to have it in the morning)

On 4/6/2023 at 11:27 PM, Ottakee said:

I have a Tervis cup my friend gave me with her company logo and I use that in the car with a straw.

Honestly what I use the most fall, winter, spring is a cheap smart water bottle with flip top that I reuse and use for months and months….at the gym, in the car, at work.

THis is what my son prefers. he recently accidentally left it behind and we went out and bought another -- another advantage. cheap enough not to be a big deal to lose.

25 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

You know -- I wonder if ADD in the house is why I like having extras of all the things

I remember for the longest time we even had two winter jackets after my husband picked my son up the last day before Christmas break and left the coat behind (We are in Texas, it was warm enough in the afternoon not to need it, but cold enough to have it in the morning)

My husband buys backups when things are on sale. I wear out my shoes and outerwear fast so my husband would grab those on sale. It is a financial insecurity thing for him.
He and my boys have at least three winter jackets even though winter is mild here. They like jackets of different thickness.

• Like 1

We have a couple of stainless steel hot mugs, one TAL and one Zak. We rarely take hot beverages with us anywhere so they don't get much use.

The water bottles get used every day. Ds takes his to work. Dh and I take ours when we go anywhere, usually leaving them in the car. Also, I take a medication that causes major dry mouth so I always have water handy. And for some dumb reason I find that I drink more water out of a bottle than a cup/glass so I even use my water bottle at home.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

We have a couple of stainless steel hot mugs, one TAL and one Zak. We rarely take hot beverages with us anywhere so they don't get much use.

The water bottles get used every day. Ds takes his to work. Dh and I take ours when we go anywhere, usually leaving them in the car. Also, I take a medication that causes major dry mouth so I always have water handy. And for some dumb reason I find that I drink more water out of a bottle than a cup/glass so I even use my water bottle at home.

Me too! I drink a lot more water out of my Takeya bottle than out of a cup.

• Like 1

I’m really starting to enjoy eating hot meals out of my  large Yeti mug. Everything stays hot until the last bite, and the handle is great for carrying it around if I’m not sitting down and eating. Like…..taking it outside, etc. It’s really nice. You can put the lid on and close it up, and it makes a good travel hot food jar. 

I have more than I need because for a while it was every person in my family's go to gift for me since they knew I hate the whole plans if water bottle thing when we camp, picnic, hike, sail, kayak. Hate it. Now I have about eight. Far too many. I am keeping one good size steel one with a wonderful cap that holds a quart. Mark and I use that on the boat and share. I have two more stainless that I will keep that are only 16 oz each which will be for kayaking. There are three that I will be giving to our two adult sons who love to camp and are starting from scratch building up camp gear. The other two are plastic. Not a fan. But Dd had them made with family photos on them which makes me sentimental and soft, so I can't bear to part with them. They are 16 oz containers, and I have decided to fill them with potting soil and put a petunia in each one, and stick them in my plant window.

When I have a water bottle with me around the house, for what reason I do not know, I drink more water than when I just have a cup or glass out. I have no idea what the psychology behind this is.

• Like 1