Menu

Is the end nigh? “Unknown” object shot down by U.S. over Alaska

pinball

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/10/1156114384/u-s-shoots-down-high-altitude-object-over-alaska

I picked what I assume is a Boardie fav for a link. 🥰

The U.S. shot down an object over Alaska. The government doesn't know yet what it was

The U.S. military shot down a "high-altitude object" over Alaska within the last hour, said John Kirby, a spokesman for the White House National Security Council.

The object was tracked over Alaska at an altitude of 40,000 feet over the past 24 hours, Kirby told reporters at the White House briefing. It was deemed to pose a "reasonable threat to the safety of civilian flights" and "out of an abundance of caution" Biden ordered it to be shot down at the recommendation of Pentagon leaders, Kirby said.

They said it was the size of a car.   sounds like a drone to me.  But they aren't claiming to know where it came from.  Could be china, could be russia.  Those are the likely suspects.

I don't trust Putin to not do something stupid just to save his idiot-face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

They were probably teenage aliens who didn’t listen to their parents and went ahead and flew down here anyway.

That makes so much sense to me…

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

They were probably teenage aliens who didn’t listen to their parents and went ahead and flew down here anyway.

Wait — wasn’t that the basic plot of a 1980’s kids in space movie? Hang on….

<brief interlude whilst I consult the interwebs>

YES! It was Explorers from 1985. Not that great a film, as I recall, but fun to watch. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, brehon said:

Wait — wasn’t that the basic plot of a 1980’s kids in space movie? Hang on….

<brief interlude whilst I consult the interwebs>

YES! It was Explorers from 1985. Not that great a film, as I recall, but fun to watch. 

Haha, I loved that movie!  Making a space ship out of a Tilt-A-Whirl cart.  😝

8 hours ago, Terabith said:

My guess is more balloons…exploring possibilities for EMP attack.  

I’m a very “prepare for the worst, hope for the best” kind of person who never actually believes the very worst will happen, but if you keep it in mind you’ll cover all sorts of more likely issues.  
EMP has always been my “it won’t really happen, but it’s a good thought exercise.”

Currently kinda wishing I was blissfully unaware.

• Like 2

Re: EMP attack, I built (although built is a ridiculous word considering it's a box with foil) a faraday cage and put it with my supplies.   My supplies are canned soups, oatmeal, tarps, duct tape, water, and a few things like that.   I am not a doomsdayer or prepper, but since all of us here  have some chronic health conditions, I figured a basic prep would help for a bit until whatever happens (power is restored, internet back up, whatever).  Also, it eases my mind a bit.    In my faraday cage, I have batteries, chargers, shortwave radio, etc.     anyway, just in case anyone tends to the anxious side like I do, these basic preps do make me feel better.   Hopefully it can help someone else a well.  

I won't link unless asked, because they are doomsdayer-type stuff and I'm not really into that,  but I did use the links for information, not to scare the crap out of myself.  But I have a couple links regarding EMP and nuclear attack if anyone is interested.    I need knowledge, ykwim?   Knowledge strengthens my mind.  Fear doesn't.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I need knowledge, ykwim?   Knowledge strengthens my mind.  Fear doesn't.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Same!!!  
That’s why I’ve put up with so many nutty people, lol. I may not agree with their motivations or reasoning, but there’s worthwhile information buried under there.

• Like 5

I just don’t understand the Let’s let the spy balloon that has someone or something driving it float alllll the way across parts of Canada and the US, but then a few days later shoot something down over Alaska that you say doesn’t have surveillance capability or maneuverability and then the next day same thing in the Yukon. 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-we-know-about-the-unidentified-objects-shot-down-over-north-america/ar-AA17nLlt?cvid=ccab66be89e747199cee78ed56d65087

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

I just don’t understand the Let’s let the spy balloon that has someone or something driving it float alllll the way across parts of Canada and the US, but then a few days later shoot something down over Alaska that you say doesn’t have surveillance capability or maneuverability and then the next day same thing in the Yukon. 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-we-know-about-the-unidentified-objects-shot-down-over-north-america/ar-AA17nLlt?cvid=ccab66be89e747199cee78ed56d65087

I wonder if they found out some things from the initial balloon and now they’re taking the other ones more seriously.

• Like 14

That could be.

I think my problem is I don’t like unanswered questions. So if I didn’t know about the difference in reactions, for better or worse it would bother me less I think. I think I am also stuck on this because so much of the rest of my life is out of my control right now, that I am placing all that anxiety on these weird balloons.

My other thing about this is, I get they had to tell about the spy balloon because people SAW it and they had to come clean. These other two, they could have shot them down and not said anything. So why say anything?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I wonder if they found out some things from the initial balloon and now they’re taking the other ones more seriously.

Ahhh, that is something I hadn't thought about.   I bet they did find spy stuff, not weather stuff, so now the statement is being made.   And probably will be made by other countries, as well.  I mean Canada obviously knows or knew and gave the go-ahead to shoot it down.    Good grief, can you imagine if one of those balloons goes into Russian air space?    Those two countries will go nuts on each other.    

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, saraha said:

I think it’s entirely possible and reasonable for the stated explanation to be the genuine one: they didn’t think the original balloon was getting anything of value, possibly because they were jamming it; they were learning about it through observation; and the risk of bringing it down over land was too great, compared to minimal risk letting it proceed to the coast.

The subsequent ones were over very remote areas, and flying low enough to pose a threat to aircraft. They’d already watched the first one for a week, and used that information to retrospectively analyze data from several years ago. And people were getting collectively freaked out. Not much reason to avoid taking those two down.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m a very “prepare for the worst, hope for the best” kind of person who never actually believes the very worst will happen, but if you keep it in mind you’ll cover all sorts of more likely issues.  
EMP has always been my “it won’t really happen, but it’s a good thought exercise.”

Currently kinda wishing I was blissfully unaware.

I'd be more worried about a carrington event.  It was bad enough in the mid 1800s, today it would be catastrophic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

The ones shot down were not over populated areas. The one that they waited for, was. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'd be more worried about a carrington event.  It was bad enough in the mid 1800s, today it would be catastrophic. 

Oh, any time I hear about slightly abnormal flares, a part of my brain tingles!   
But if I went to 100 on every single thing, every single time, I wouldn’t have time to live life.

Right now, I’m kinda disturbed by that chemical burn from the train derailment. We don’t have a thread on that, do we?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, saraha said:

A you tuber I like to watch suggested that maybe the two new ufo’s were launched by the US as a way to protect defense spending…🤷🏼‍♀️

How would that work? The war between Russia and Ukraine is not demonstrating sufficient need for military readiness so a US actor launches balloons to sway public or political opinion? Would that be an independently operating military group, or the CIA, or somebody else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

How would that work? The war between Russia and Ukraine is not demonstrating sufficient need for military readiness so a US actor launches balloons to sway public or political opinion? Would that be an independently operating military group, or the CIA, or somebody else?

I’m not saying I necessarily agree but his theory is interesting. If budget cuts are to be made and some things are off the table, and people interested in making sure defense/military spending want that off the table, then making sure there is something to be scared of would be a strategy? 
Honestly, I would be relieved if that was the explanation instead of an actual threat if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, saraha said:

I’m not saying I necessarily agree but his theory is interesting. If budget cuts are to be made and some things are off the table, and people interested in making sure defense/military spending want that off the table, then making sure there is something to be scared of would be a strategy? 
Honestly, I would be relieved if that was the explanation instead of an actual threat if you know what I mean.

Ok. I was just wondering how that scenario would be justified. It doesn't seem like shooting balloons down would require any additional spending. It might even go the other way, Ukraine is occupying Russia, China is down to a balloon offensive, maybe this would actually *be* a good time to redirect some military spending... I'm not strategist, though, I was just trying to follow your YouTuber's logic.

Edited by Miss Tick
still haven't mind-melded with Swype

5 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Ok. I was just wondering how that scenario would be justified. It doesn't seem like shooting balloons down would require any additional spending. It might even go the other way, Ukraine is occupying Russia, China is down to a balloon offensive, maybe this would actually *be* a good time to redirect some military spending... I'm not strategist, though, I was just trying to follow your YouTuber's logic.

Haha I have no idea. Maybe a longer game? If there is a mysterious threat, we can’t let our guard down, need more money for patrols, surveillance? I’m sure that’s not it, but I am highly attracted to an explanation that means there is no threat from somewhere. 

48 minutes ago, saraha said:

11 minutes ago, saraha said:

Haha I have no idea. Maybe a longer game? If there is a mysterious threat, we can’t let our guard down, need more money for patrols, surveillance? I’m sure that’s not it, but I am highly attracted to an explanation that means there is no threat from somewhere. 

Congress has a tendency to give the military more money than the administration requests in the budget.The latest budget gave the military $58 billion more than requested. I could be wrong, but I really do not see anyone higher up than (maybe) some totally clueless recent enlistee being worried about budget cuts.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Congress has a tendency to give the military more money than the administration requests in the budget.The latest budget gave the military $58 billion more than requested. I could be wrong, but I really do not see anyone higher up than (maybe) some totally clueless recent enlistee being worried about budget cuts.

I know this is true, but it always kind of appalls me.  I keep wondering how much good that extra $58 billion could do for health care or child care or infrastructure/ public transit or education or environmental efforts or something.  It just seems kind of obscene to spend all these trillions of dollars on defense.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I know this is true, but it always kind of appalls me.  I keep wondering how much good that extra $58 billion could do for health care or child care or infrastructure/ public transit or education or environmental efforts or something.  It just seems kind of obscene to spend all these trillions of dollars on defense.  

This. And we don't even come close to taking care of our veterans with this money. I find it beyond offensive. Mostly this is spent on new ways to kill people, garbage that military leaders do not want, but it enriches some politicians rich tech CEO friend. Gross. The waste of resources and metals is an affront to human dignity in the face of climate change. So I have LOT of negative feelings about defense spending.

The object shot down over Lake Huron is being reported by local observers as looking very much like one of these spy balloons, same shape, smaller, shock cord (strings) hanging from it. Of course that is speculation from folks related AF and CG personnel. Nobody knows for sure.

I was practically rooting for aliens, but probably won't get that bingo on my new card. I think I need to get bizarrely creative with my bingo card for the next round. I am thinking, "Aliens land on earth demanding to settle the question, 'Budweiser or Michelob?' ".

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I read an article last night about some of the possibilities. One of them was that a lot, or at least some, of these things have always been flying around but were either missed or dismissed as being nothing. But now we (in this case "we" being the US and Canada) are looking a lot more closely since the big balloon was shot down. When you look more closely and don't automatically dismiss things you tend to find more things. That seems plausible to me.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

Right. I recently read that 3% of U.S. military spending could end starvation on earth. Obviously it's more complicated than a simple dollar amount, but still...

https://worldbeyondwar.org/3percent/

It's an absolute shame that we spend that much and still have hungry kids and people without medical care here.

• Like 7