Menu

Prayers and good thoughts please: rescue canary!

MercyA

As many of you know, we have been waiting and watching for a long time for a canary to show up for adoption on the rescue websites. We miss our Sunny bird so much.

I just received notice of a canary available for adoption today! His name is Peep and he was rescued from a very neglectful situation. The rescue is about two hours away and I just sent them an email.

Could you please pray and/or send good thoughts that they will choose us as his new home, if it is meant to be? 

Thank you! ❤️

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 23
  • Sad 1

• MercyA changed the title to Prayer and good thoughts please: rescue canary!
  • MercyA changed the title to Prayers and good thoughts please: rescue canary!

Okay! They really really loved our application. I am much better at writing than at speaking. I was a little awkward, a little nervous, but it went okay. They are moving me onto the next step. They will check my vet references and personal references. If they are happy with those I will talk to the foster mom and then do a virtual home visit with her. If I am approved I can go meet him (and hopefully bring him home!). 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 22

Guys! Peep was left in an abandoned house several months ago. 😭 When they found him he was in very bad shape. He was only breathing through his mouth (panting) and he had lost feathers. The poor baby. I'm so glad someone found him!!! He has gained weight and regrown feathers and is healthy and happy now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 11

Update! I passed the first interview, passed the second interview, and my friends and vets vouched for me. 🙂 All that remains is a virtual home visit. I am making sure the cage is freshly scrubbed and ready to go.

We are so excited. Here are some before and after pictures of poor Peep. You can see in the first two pictures that he is very thin, with his mouth open, blood feathers exposed, and way overgrown toenails. 😞 But now he is nice and plump and his feathers are healthy again. They said he felt much better after his nail trim and started singing again after just a week of TLC.

Don't quote pics please.

image.thumb.jpeg.8de25b5fea7ab9566bffe782369e9b42.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_5196.JPG

• Like 17

Approved!!! Whoot! 🥳

The foster mom's husband works about 45 minutes from me so we hope to arrange a pickup at his warehouse, possibly this Saturday. 

We have Peep's palatial (for a canary) cage all set up and ready to go. 🙂 

DD has been praying for a rescue canary since we lost Sunny. Her dad told her that he didn't think God would have one for us until after our vacation. (We took a long vacation, our first since COVID, in October). Lo and behold, a few weeks after we got home, up popped Peep. 🙂 So thankful. 

I will have pics after the adoption!!! 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

I love you guys. Most of my friends IRL do not get my love for animals at all. I try to explain that birds have their own little personalities just like any other living creature, but I can feel them inwardly rolling their eyes. Not so here. ❤️

So happy to welcome Peep into our home soon!!

• Like 19

5 hours ago, MercyA said:

I love you guys. Most of my friends IRL do not get my love for animals at all. I try to explain that birds have their own little personalities just like any other living creature, but I can feel them inwardly rolling their eyes. Not so here. ❤️

So happy to welcome Peep into our home soon!!

My DH is a bird person otherwise I never would have understood. They really are 100pc people. Even chickens have their own personalities!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ditto said:

Yay!  I am thrilled for you and your family!  Peep is going to have such a wonderful life with you.  Will you keep his name?   I can't wait for the pictures of him in his forever home.

Thank you so much! 

Initially DD asked if we could change his name. I said sure. Since Peep was found abandoned, the rescue knows nothing about his history or his previous name. But "Peep" has grown on all of us and honestly I think we'll keep the name. It would seem weird to call him anything else now. Plus, the name is so multi-faceted: Peep candy, peeping bird sounds, peeps who are friends! 🙂 

We did figure out from his leg band that he was hatched in 2018, so four years old. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thank you so much! 

Initially DD asked if we could change his name. I said sure. Since Peep was found abandoned, the rescue knows nothing about his history or his previous name. But "Peep" has grown on all of us and honestly I think we'll keep the name. It would seem weird to call him anything else now. Plus, the name is so multi-faceted: Peep candy, peeping bird sounds, peeps who are friends! 🙂 

We did figure out from his leg band that he was hatched in 2018, so four years old. 

Plus Peep in the Big Wide World

• Like 6

Peep is home and is doing great!!! We just love him. He's so tiny and adorable. He is was nervous for about the first 10 or 15 minutes in the car and then for about the same amount of time when we brought him in the house, but he is settling in so well!

He is very personable. He likes to hop to a branch close to us and peep back and forth with us. It's useful to be able to read canary language--we know his "puffs," tail waggles, and tongue waggles are signs of pleasure and that makes us happy. 🙂 We also know the canary squawk that means "I'm annoyed/I'm scared/stop it!" He did it when I opened his cage door to try to get a better picture of him.   

He is very interested in and eager to fly to the higher branches in his cage, but he has only worked up his courage a couple times so far. He is so like a person who wants to do something scary...he looks and peeps nervously, looks and peeps again, starts to fly and thinks better of it, thinks again, and finally takes off with an enormous peep that must be something like a human "Yikes!" 

He just sang for the first time about 15 minutes ago, and wow! He does the most intricate trills and warbles. 

He is eating, drinking, and preening and is very alert and curious. 

A few pictures to come but they really don't even do his Adorableness justice. 🙂

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4