Menu

How would you dispose of a very dead, waterlogged chipmunk? Updated

MEmama

Our options are:

*Toss it over the side fence into a no-man’s land of poison ivy and thick lilacs

*Bury it in the compost pile 

*Take it to the municipal compost drop off along with bags of leaves

*Toss it across the ugly fence into the mean neighbor's yard and let their dog discover it 😈 (j/k we wouldn’t do this but it’s fun to think about)

Anyone have better ideas? 

Edited by MEmama

I’d go for the no-man’s land, personally. Your compost might work if it gets good and hot, but since I’m not up on chipmunk diseases, I probably wouldn’t choose that option, especially if the compost goes in a vegetable garden. The municipal compost probably has guidelines about what they accept. Definitely not the neighbor’s yard. 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

When nature is an option, I choose nature.

That once included a groundhog that somehow got in and died under my mother’s couch!!! 😳

My parents find scorpions under their furniture sometimes (and occasionally in bed), but a groundhog getting into the house—never mind expiring— is on a whole 'nother  level! 

8 minutes ago, catz said:

Well my husband would double bag it and put it in our bin on the alley awaiting pick up.  But we have small urban lots.   

Well duh, I didn’t even think of just putting it in the trash. 🤦‍♀️

Our lot is small too and I don’t want it out there rotting before properly freezing, but there are a couple neighborhood outdoor cats who would know how to make use of the body, I’d think—or if not cats, then other various creatures of the night. One of whom might be responsible for disposing of said yard rodent into the pail of rainwater in the first place.

• Haha 1

Ok, DH doesn’t want to wait til trash day, so no man’s land it is. Hopefully we won’t find chipmunk remains scattered about the yard. 🤮

Probably the quickest method of ensuring the scavengers find it is to toss it into the road where the crows will make quick work of consuming it, but that seems pretty gross to do intentionally even though chipmunk and squirrel roadkill is common here. We'll give it to the poison ivy patch as an offer of goodwill instead.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I vote No Man’s Land. 

Definitely don’t use dynamite.  

I just…wow. Do I dare ask why you even know about such a video? 🤣

I pinky swear we will not use dynamite or any other explosive method of creating and sending multiple chipmunk parts across the neighborhood🤢 Thanks for the warning!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I just…wow. Do I dare ask why you even know about such a video? 🤣

I pinky swear we will not use dynamite or any other explosive method of creating and sending multiple chipmunk parts across the neighborhood🤢 Thanks for the warning!

I have a friend who remembered when it happened and looked it up and told me about it years ago.  This seemed an appropriate opportunity to share it with the Hive!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I vote No Man’s Land. 

Definitely don’t use dynamite.  

OK, this is my FIL's *FAVORITE VIDEO OF ALL TIME* and all of our kids are well familiar with it and have to explain when he whips it out to their unsuspecting friends! Hahahaha! I personally like to pretend it doesn't exist. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Dig small hole and bury it. 

Chucking over fence just encourages breding up of blowflies 

That assumes land and a lack of tree roots for hole digging. 🤣 Not gonna happen in my teeny root infested yard, I’m afraid.

Idk what a blowfly is but we’re on the cusp of winter here so insects are no longer an issue. Assuming the poor creature isn’t discovered by resident opossums before too long, the carcass will soon be frozen solid until next April. 

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

That assumes land and a lack of tree roots for hole digging. 🤣 Not gonna happen in my teeny root infested yard, I’m afraid.

Idk what a blowfly is but we’re on the cusp of winter here so insects are no longer an issue. Assuming the poor creature isn’t discovered by resident opossums before too long, the carcass will soon be frozen solid until next April. 

Blowflys are huge flys about the size of a bumble bee. They don't lay eggs, but live maggots. I am sure they do fly by drop runs of maggots like ww2 bomber planes. They are absolutly discusting.  They breed up very quickly in dead animals and animal droppings. 

Bush flies will breed up in the same things. They hang around people like a cloud from spring right through to any warm day in winter. They don't bite, but love to try get up your nose and in your eyes. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Blowflys are huge flys about the size of a bumble bee. They don't lay eggs, but live maggots. I am sure they do fly by drop runs of maggots like ww2 bomber planes. They are absolutly discusting.  They breed up very quickly in dead animals and animal droppings. 

Bush flies will breed up in the same things. They hang around people like a cloud from spring right through to any warm day in winter. They don't bite, but love to try get up your nose and in your eyes. 

That’s horrifying. I’ll add those to the list of reasons I’m too scared to ever visit your (beautiful and otherwise lovely, I’m sure) country. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, MEmama said:

My parents find scorpions under their furniture sometimes (and occasionally in bed), but a groundhog getting into the house—never mind expiring— is on a whole 'nother  level! 

Just stopping by to say YIKES, particularly with regard to scorpions.  I used to hear people would have to check their shoes for them.  

• Like 2

We had a waterlogged chipmunk carcass once in the toilet.  Dh...flushed it.  And it went.  

True confession time: I collect interesting roadkill and bring it to a local taxidermy lab.  If the lab's not open they go into my freezers.  Sometimes (this is the confession part) they spend months or even years in my freezer.  I currently have two minks and a juvenile flicker waiting to transport. I was once rooting around in the chest freezer looking for something else and pulled up a bag with a frozen groundhog.  Dh was walking past and I said, huh, what is that? as I pulled back the bag.  Without missing a beat dh said "looks like 6 more weeks of winter" and kept walking.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

5 hours ago, Eos said:

We had a waterlogged chipmunk carcass once in the toilet.  Dh...flushed it.  And it went.  

True confession time: I collect interesting roadkill and bring it to a local taxidermy lab.  If the lab's not open they go into my freezers.  Sometimes (this is the confession part) they spend months or even years in my freezer.  I currently have two minks and a juvenile flicker waiting to transport. I was once rooting around in the chest freezer looking for something else and pulled up a bag with a frozen groundhog.  Dh was walking past and I said, huh, what is that? as I pulled back the bag.  Without missing a beat dh said "looks like 6 more weeks of winter" and kept walking.

Do you watch Bad Sisters (Irish show on Apple TV)? I won’t spoil it, but you might have something in common with the antagonist. I'm learning there's a dark side to the hobby…just sayin…🤣

Also, would you like a chipmunk for your collection? It’s not exotic though, I’m afraid. I’m impressed your pipes could handle flushing one, ours aren’t so robust.

I'm never going to drive by roadkill without thinking of you and trying to figure out what it is now, you know lol. Do you keep lists of acquisitions and animals you hope to find? There’s a business opportunity in there somewhere, perhaps a book The Roadkill of Maine or something.

I have so.many questions…🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eos said:

Did you watch JeffrEY  Dahmer on Netflix?  

• Haha 1

Do you keep lists of acquisitions and animals you hope to find?

No, but I am picky.  Groundhogs are a dime a dozen unless they're in perfect condition.  I don't bother with chipmunks or squirrels.  Hawks, owls, and songbirds will get me to slow down and turn around, but turkeys have to be mint.  I've gotten minks, fawns, rabbits, porcupine, and a fisher. I once saw a small bear but couldn't figure out how to pick it up.  I usually have gloves and bags or at least a sheet to wrap things in the car.

8 hours ago, bibiche said:

Please tell us you have been vaccinated for rabies.

No, but I am really careful.

Do you watch Bad Sisters (Irish show on Apple TV)? I won’t spoil it, but you might have something in common with the antagonist. I'm learning there's a dark side to the hobby…just sayin…🤣

Never heard of it, I will check it out, thank you!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:54 AM, Eos said:

I used to work with a man whose hobby was taxidermy. His wife was reportedly pretty put out by the amount of time a roadkill badger stayed in their deep freeze before he got around to it.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Emba said:

I used to work with a man whose hobby was taxidermy. His wife was reportedly pretty put out by the amount of time a roadkill badger stayed in their deep freeze before he got around to it.

My kids are a little scared to rummage around in my freezer, but they're often the ones to say "hey, there's a dead thing and it's pretty nice" so I can turn around.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Well because he started with taxidermy of small animals as a kid with his dad, who was a scientist and thought it was an okay thing to do.  But somehow, it led to what happened later/

Oh no, I promise I'm just a homeschooling mom!  I don't do the taxidermy, just the collection.  And if something is dead on the road but I don't want it, I usually move it to the side so it can have a nicer place to rest in peace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

Oh no, I promise I'm just a homeschooling mom!  I don't do the taxidermy, just the collection.  And if something is dead on the road but I don't want it, I usually move it to the side so it can have a nicer place to rest in peace.

I’m curious: what do you do with the taxidermy? Keep it, sell it…? It’s an interesting and unusual hobby or sideline.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I’m curious: what do you do with the taxidermy? Keep it, sell it…? It’s an interesting and unusual hobby or sideline.

I don't get them back, I donate the animals to a lab that is part of a natural history museum.  They make displays out of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have to say, I was avoiding this thread because. Dead. Waterlogged. Ick. But. So glad I finally clicked on it. Very amusing. Love that video upthread. We watch it every so often just for the sheer vintage-ness of the time period and the shock and horror of it. I am fascinated and horrified by the roadkill taxidermy. We once had a dead water moccasin in our freezer for a few years, mainly because I was preserving it for an accurate identification and then because my DH was appalled by it being in the freezer and I found that amusing. DH did a cross state bike ride this summer. He said there was a team, Team Roadkill. Whenever they saw roadkill, they would stop and dress them up. So you would be biking down some road and come upon a dead animal with sunglasses, Mardi Gras beads, etc. We once had a very large raccoon that expired wedged between in a section of our wood fence and the neighbors. The fence was in need or repair and the raccoon must have thought they could get through, got stuck and put up a fight trying to get free. I had been telling DH that there was a dead animal in our attic. He couldn’t smell it but kept going in to the attic to check. A few days later, our single neighbor lady came over, frantic that her missing cat was dead, stuck in our mutual fence. DH went out to investigate. Thankfully it wasn’t her cat. Moral of that story: When you smell dead animal, look under the hedge of shrubs… Thankfully trash day was the next day, so DH triple bagged the animal and put it in the trash. If it hadn’t been trash day, we would have called animal control. They are really good about picking up dead animals when we have called them. 

• Like 2

• MEmama changed the title to How would you dispose of a very dead, waterlogged chipmunk? Updated

Update:

DH ended up leaving the chipmunk to stew in the bucket until trash day. When he reluctantly went out to deal with it, he discovered the yard rodent was missing. So some creature must have found itself a delicious, half rotted meal floating about temptingly and consumed it for a midnight snack.

Problem solved! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Update:

DH ended up leaving the chipmunk to stew in the bucket until trash day. When he reluctantly went out to deal with it, he discovered the yard rodent was missing. So some creature must have found itself a delicious, half rotted meal floating about temptingly and consumed it for a midnight snack.

Problem solved! 

Or you have a zombie chipmunk running around somewhere.  It is October.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6