Menu

My first solo backpacking overnight

Ottakee

Great minds must think alike. 

I was staring at my laptop earlier today trying to get my brain in gear to work on schoolwork when I decided I needed to go ahead and book that next solo camping trip I keep saying I am going to do. I hopped on the state park camping reservations site and snagged two nights in mid-October at a park I read about recently. 

I won't be backpacking, but do plan to explore the trails around the park. (I stick to formal campgrounds and well-marked trails, mostly so my husband's head doesn't explode from anxiety while I'm gone.)

So glad you had your adventure!

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, bookbard said:

wow, that's inspiring. maybe I'll do that as one of my 'fifty things before I turn 50'. It sounds so peaceful. 

Well, I am over 50 and did it.  The 3 ladies I saw day hiking today were  all retired. 

I did see one guy yesterday tut commented that people over 50 didn’t backpack there and women didn’t really either…….😏

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, mom2scouts said:

Wow, you're much braver than me! I love backpacking, but I can't imagine doing it by myself.

I have done rustic campgrounds by myself before but they have lots of people around.  Here there was one couple at the site across the lake, about 1/2 mile away and that was it 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I was big and brave….big I have down, brave I am working on.  My mother was not happy I did this solo.

What a lovely site, and good for you! I hear you on the mom thing. I have a decent amount of pushback on several fronts when it comes to my solo adventures. My dh is fine with me solo camping at populated campgrounds when I have a car right there, but he stresses if I don't have a car or might want a little more remote. I just don't tell my mother about an adventures until I've returned, and even then, I'm judicious, lol.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, livetoread said:

What a lovely site, and good for you! I hear you on the mom thing. I have a decent amount of pushback on several fronts when it comes to my solo adventures. My dh is fine with me solo camping at populated campgrounds when I have a car right there, but he stresses if I don't have a car or might want a little more remote. I just don't tell my mother about an adventures until I've returned, and even then, I'm judicious, lol.

I told my brother where I was, trails I was taking, etc but didn’t tell my mom I was solo until I got back

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Well, I am over 50 and did it.  The 3 ladies I saw day hiking today were  all retired. 

I did see one guy yesterday tut commented that people over 50 didn’t backpack there and women didn’t really either…….😏

“This is just a mirage…” 

• Haha 4

Congrats Ottakee!  That is such an empowering experience.  

My mum hates when I go out on my own, but I absolutely love it!

For anyone looking for inspiration, check out 'shedreamsofalpine' on Instagram and Allison Boyle on FB.  She offers some free content, but also some paid workshops too.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Congratulations on your first solo trip. Now that you've reached that milestone, it will become easier to do and you'll find yourself wanting to go more often.

I do hope you consider cold weather backpacking. It takes it to another level.

I have gear to go down to 25° or so.  Coldest we have done yet is 32°

That sounds awesome. We have all the equipment.... Bear bag would be tricky to do - even though I know it is the right thing, kind of like flossing teeth.

The last time I took my dc camping it got down to 24. In *retrospect* it is a funny story.

Do you know approximately how much your pack weighed?

46 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

That sounds awesome. We have all the equipment.... Bear bag would be tricky to do - even though I know it is the right thing, kind of like flossing teeth.

The last time I took my dc camping it got down to 24. In *retrospect* it is a funny story.

Do you know approximately how much your pack weighed?

My pack was likely 27-28 pounds 

• Thanks 1

With airlines being all kinds of crazy right now, I want to drive from FL to NH by myself to visit my grandchildren. My parents are going all kinds of nuts over me being on the road by myself. Having AAA isn't making them feel any better. It's funny because my father is impressed with a neighbor lady who often drives long distances with her kids and sometimes without. I guess it's ok if you aren't his daughter. LOL

Anyway, all that to say your trip would have made my parents crazy but it's something I would have loved doing. It sounds wonderful and so serene. I'm envious. Good for you!

• Like 3

My bear hanging story, lol. Years ago I decided to take my son, then about 11, on a short backpacking trip in WV. We were going to be there anyway for a family thing, so I decided to stay with him and do a little trip. I knew we were going to be in bear country so I practiced packing our food and hanging it so I'd be ready. Our trial went along a river and there were several designated campsites sites spread out about 1/3 mile or so from each other. In each one we passed, people had set up elaborate tarp campsites and in each one, they had been fishing with fish parts around, fish in coolers, and fish both grilling and smoking. I still hung our trail mix and dehydrated food, but figured we would be well down the list of sites in a bear's estimation!

I should add that that part of the trail was pretty wide and flat and connected to a gravel road. It looked like people brought all their gear in on carts. I was amazed.

Edited by livetoread
  • Haha 6

That’s awesome! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself.

Congratulations on the bear hang! I’m terrible at it or managing to pick camping spots with no branches low enough for me to toss my rock bag over. I have a bear can from a trip a couple years ago so now I take that with me. Of course bears aren’t very common where I am, I’m more worried about little rodents. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

That’s awesome! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself.

Congratulations on the bear hang! I’m terrible at it or managing to pick camping spots with no branches low enough for me to toss my rock bag over. I have a bear can from a trip a couple years ago so now I take that with me. Of course bears aren’t very common where I am, I’m more worried about little rodents. 

My bear hang was not the greatest due to lots of pine 🌲 trees and not great options.  Worked well for the tue small critters though.

• Like 1