Menu

Ukraine

prairiewindmomma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thewellerman said:

Does anyone have a good book or resource to recommend for upper high school kids?  My older kids want more background and history surrounding what is happening now. 

One of my favorite resources for explaining the news to teens is CNN10 (formerly CNN Student News). It's news for teens and kids, and the host, Carl Azus, seems to try hard to simply explain the facts and show a few sides. The broadcast on Friday 2/18 addresses the Russia/Ukraine situation.

CNN10: The big stories of the day, explained in 10 minutes

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Harriet Vane said:

One of my favorite resources for explaining the news to teens is CNN10 (formerly CNN Student News). It's news for teens and kids, and the host, Carl Azus, seems to try hard to simply explain the facts and show a few sides. The broadcast on Friday 2/18 addresses the Russia/Ukraine situation.

CNN10: The big stories of the day, explained in 10 minutes

Oh, yes. I can't believe I forgot that one. Thank you! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thewellerman said:

Does anyone have a good book or resource to recommend for upper high school kids?  My older kids want more background and history surrounding what is happening now. 

The Wikipedia section on Ukraine is quite good for a history background:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine

ETA: on the proxy war aspect—Syria: https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/08/25/u-s-and-russian-interests-in-the-syrian-war/amp/

Poland crisis 1980 (when invasion was averted): https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/nato-thwarted-a-russian-invasion-in-1980-could-its-playbook-work-today/

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 5

So far the troops are just in areas where they already have standing Russian forces though (since the annexation of the Crimea). I hope that we will find a diplomatic solution—there will be a call for elections and self determination—and it ends there. I do think that is a form of appeasement, but it would parallel what happened in Georgia in 2008. My understanding is that there is not yet consensus among our European partners on sanctions if he remains in those areas. It’s only if he moves on to Kyiv that the partners all agree that action must be taken. 

What is everyone else’s take?

• Like 4

My teen is headed to the military, speaks Russian, and has extensive history knowledge of that area. He was supposed to be doing his homework last night, but kept coming downstairs to give me updates on Ukraine. It's very concerning. I'm not even sure how much I think the US should get involved, but allowing Russia to continue may be a mistake. Another kid works with people in Poland and they are so worried that they're applying for work visas and jobs in the US. A friend of ours gave money to someone he knows so they can get their elderly parents out of Ukraine. I hope Putin can be convinced to back off.

• Sad 7

40 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

My teen is headed to the military, speaks Russian, and has extensive history knowledge of that area. He was supposed to be doing his homework last night, but kept coming downstairs to give me updates on Ukraine. It's very concerning. I'm not even sure how much I think the US should get involved, but allowing Russia to continue may be a mistake. Another kid works with people in Poland and they are so worried that they're applying for work visas and jobs in the US. A friend of ours gave money to someone he knows so they can get their elderly parents out of Ukraine. I hope Putin can be convinced to back off.

It is good to think about the consequences of breaking the Budepest Memorandum in regards to other countries and future negotiations. 

Not that I know the best next step but...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I feel like I did when the US started bombing Baghdad when I was in college, listening to live reports from Wolf Blitzer, watching a war unfold on live TV. (Sorry, brain freeze and I can’t remember - Operation Desert Storm?) 

Exactly this. My academic background is in international relations so I find this stuff absolutely fascinating but the older I get, the more it grieves me as well, to see the horrors of war and innocent people's lives horribly impacted by no fault of their own. 

Edited by Insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

Exactly this. My academic background is in international relations so I find this stuff absolutely fascinating but the older I get, the more it grieves me as well, to see the horrors of war and innocent people's lives horribly impacted by no fault of their own. 

The older I become the more flabbergasted I am that the decisions of one man, or a handful of men, can cause great suffering for many innocents. It’s ghastly. 

• Like 17

On 2/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

Piecemeal, gives justification gradually.  As an alternative to total war it avoids some of the diplomatic issues while still accomplishing the main objective.  At least that’s my read on it.  Ugh.

Why not, it's worked the last few times Russia has tried it... 😭

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/02/22/russia-ukraine-invasion-georgia-2008-south-ossetia-tskhinvali/

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/russia-annex-crimea-why-putin-invaded-2014-what-happened-nato-annexation-explained-1424682

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, goldberry said:

See, exactly.  It's right out of the playbook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

In today's news:

former US president praises Putin and his actions: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/23/trump-putin-genius-russia-ukraine-crisis

They quoted some interesting double-speak in that article. 

2 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

Flabbergasted at the words of someone who I thought will lead the condemnation. 

I think I missed something. If you want to PM me, I am curious who you are talking about and what they said. 

Does anyone have a source that actually plays what the former President said in entirety or reports in entirety.  Because even reading the short and abbreviated part that I read, you can tell it is  said sarcastically.  And in reporting on some other news outlet (not an ally of that President), the report said he gave conflicting statements about Ukraine in those remarks  which seems to go along with my impression that the so-called praise was actually sarcasm.

Cause you can definitely think someone is making smart moves while not thinking that those are moral.  

OH I finally found it- very obvious he was not saying it is a good thing that Russia was invaded.  In fact, he called it very sad.  Earlier, he said other words that made it clear he was not saying this was a good thing.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Does anyone have a source that actually plays what the former President said in entirety or reports in entirety.  Because even reading the short and abbreviated part that I read, you can tell it is  said sarcastically.  And in reporting on some other news outlet (not an ally of that President), the report said he gave conflicting statements about Ukraine in those remarks  which seems to go along with my impression that the so-called praise was actually sarcasm.

Um no.

It was perfect.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

It’s pretty sad when he leaves many wondering if it was sarcasm or not in regards to something so very important. Being plain spoken in this situation seems very important. 

• Like 12