Menu

Books you love because of their setting

GracieJane

Are there books you love mostly for where they take place? My DH likes stories that occur on the frontier (Wild West, vast expanse of American soil). I love books that are set in dense European forests and alpine woods. I am convinced people enjoy literature that takes place in settings they recall from their childhood or somehow flows in their DNA (maybe their ancestors?). Is this true? Do certain books „speak“ to you because of where they take place?

No, I like books with all sorts of settings.  Including places I haven't been.  Like I like Louise Penney books but I have not spent any time in that part of Quebec.  I like the Lady Detective books set in Botswana and I have never been there - but would like to go visit.  I like another series set in Scotland-never been there.  Another series set in the Cotswolds- never been there.

Now I like a detective series set in Navaho nation- and yes, I lived in New Mexico for 4 years and have been there a number of times.  I also like a series set in Venice and I have also been there a few times.  

And yes, I often choose my mysteries based on where they are set but not because I lived there or visited there.  More because good mysteries have good descriptions of areas and you learn new things.

• Like 2

Oh interesting question! I am thinking about books I've really loved and I can't pinpoint a specific location or type of place. What really brings a book alive for me is when the place is important to the story and is fully described. As an example, I love an author whose books are set in Australia. I loved her first three because the place was a big part of the stories, but the 4th book, which took place in a beach town, seemed like it could have been set in any beach town anywhere. I kept picturing the "my" beach town in California when I was growing up. That book was a bit of a disappointment because I didn't feel like the setting added anything to the story.  

This is not an answer to the question really, but I am drawn to books set in academic institutions, in particular, boarding schools. I didn't go to boarding school and though I went to college, never went away to school, never lived on campus. So I think I am drawn to those settings because it's a part of life I feel I missed out on. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, marbel said:

This is not an answer to the question really, but I am drawn to books set in academic institutions, in particular, boarding schools. I didn't go to boarding school and though I went to college, never went away to school, never lived on campus. So I think I am drawn to those settings because it's a part of life I feel I missed out on. 

This is so interesting! This makes a lot of sense. I wonder of there are more psychological elements in stories „filling gaps“ from childhood.

• Like 1

I enjoy the books by L.M. Montgomery set in PEI, Canada. There is a lot of appeal simply because of the setting and characters who are found in the setting (small town, east coast, fishing/farming in Canada). The stories, characters and writing style are the primary motive to read these, but the setting is also a big attraction.

• Like 4

I have family in the UK and SIL and I take a lot of literary tours.

We have taken the Sherlock Holmes, Dickens, Bronte, Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Lake District, Beatrix Potter, C S Lewis and Tolkein, Enid Blyton, Regency tours among others.  If you have a really good guide and you are familiar with the books it is extremely interesting. We do individual tours mostly but at times group tours and it is very interesting to go with people who have similar interests.

We also drive to visit places and I remember DH and BIL deep in conversation and being startled because SIL and I screamed when we say Gretna Green for the first time.

I find many places in the UK very familiar because of the books I read. I also watch a lot of period pieces so everything is so familiar in a way that not any other country even the US is when we visit them for the first time.

• Like 7

I usually just skim over the setting parts of books. But I’m re-reading the Earth’s Children series, which takes place about 30,000 years ago, and for the first time I’m relishing the rich descriptions in the book—the scenery of middle Europe 30,000 years ago, the descriptions of the animal life and practices, the descriptions of the way the people lived.  I’ve never savored descriptions before, but this writer is a master at it and I actually slow down to read the descriptions. 

The books are by Jean Auel.  The sex scenes are overly-descriptive for my taste and i get super bored with them and skip them. And I skipped the first book because I find it too sad. A person can start with the second book and not need to read the first if they don’t want to read the sad first book. (First time I read the series, I accidentally started with book 2, and I was able to follow along just fine.)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I’ve been thinking about this more, and have realized that I also love books that describe their natural settings very well and in great detail.  Nature awareness is a rare and wonderful thing in a novel, and very valuable to me.

Any favorites to recommend?

28 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Any favorites to recommend?

Where the Crawdads Sing

The Marsh King’s Daughter 

Girl of the Limberlost

Christy

Miracle Country

We Never Asked For Wings

And I Alone Survived

The Seed Keeper

Trudge

Journeys North

This are not all great books, but they all have great descriptions.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Garga said:

I usually just skim over the setting parts of books. But I’m re-reading the Earth’s Children series, which takes place about 30,000 years ago, and for the first time I’m relishing the rich descriptions in the book—the scenery of middle Europe 30,000 years ago, the descriptions of the animal life and practices, the descriptions of the way the people lived.  I’ve never savored descriptions before, but this writer is a master at it and I actually slow down to read the descriptions. 

The books are by Jean Auel.  The sex scenes are overly-descriptive for my taste and i get super bored with them and skip them. And I skipped the first book because I find it too sad. A person can start with the second book and not need to read the first if they don’t want to read the sad first book. (First time I read the series, I accidentally started with book 2, and I was able to follow along just fine.)

Oh wow, I haven’t read those in years. Funny story- my grandma lived with us for awhile when we were kids. My mom and her had a not great relationship but they both loved to read- my mon gave those books to my grandma to read sort of as a joke because of the sex scenes and my grandma loved the books & never brought up those scenes, 😂 

My mon told me the story years later when I mentioned I was reading them

• Haha 1

I recently read Chris Offutt's The Killing Hills and this is part of what I wrote about the sense of setting: "There were pieces/phrases/moments that just felt so familiar -- a vestigial stirring from extended family & past generations."

So, yes, I think that book resonated more because I not only read about the place but also felt it in my bones.

I really appreciate authors that truly capture a sense of place... from beautiful vistas (one of the most beautiful descriptions of rivers I have read is by Anne Morrow Lindbergh in North to the Orient) to harsh landscapes (No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy) to the seedy side of city life (In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami) to invented future worlds (Rosewater by Tade Thompson).

One that came to mind also was one where I felt trapped in the very intense and claustrophobic space of a character's unspooling mind (The Open Curtain by Brian Evenson). Not sure everyone would count it as "setting" but it sure felt palpable. 

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 2

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Wuthering Heights

Gone With the Wind

Heart of Darkness

These are the few that came to mind first--for books that made me feel the weather, smell the smells, the warmth of fire, etc. Books that transported me to another place and time.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

Yes, I love books about countries in Africa (particularly Kenya).   Anything Karen Blixon (although she writes about Denmark as well.).  Joy Adamson, J.H. Patterson, and more

And books set in India: E.M. Forester, Rudyard Kipling, Rumer Godden, and some others.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I’ve been thinking about this more, and have realized that I also love books that describe their natural settings very well and in great detail.  Nature awareness is a rare and wonderful thing in a novel, and very valuable to me.

I read East of Eden either last year or the year before and those natural descriptions is what I really liked as well in that story.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Wuthering Heights

Gone With the Wind

Heart of Darkness

These are the few that came to mind first--for books that made me feel the weather, smell the smells, the warmth of fire, etc. Books that transported me to another place and time.

I don't remember the names of the books but I know I read 2 by Ken Follet about 14 years ago which were set in England during the cathedral building times.  It really made me think about how a lot of misconceptions about life in the middle ages and even longer ago exists.  Like the idea that no one ever moved around to what would be other countries now.

• Like 2

I love books that have vivid descriptions of the setting.  I realize that many of them take place in Africa:

The Poisonwood Bible

The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Cry The Beloved Country

West with the Night

Twenty Chickens for a Saddle

Books by Alexandra Fuller, Rumer Godden

22 hours ago, Garga said:

I was going to mention these, too.

I love her descriptions, and (somewhat embarrassingly) they are probably a large part of how I ended up going into anthropology. (I read the first one in middle school, and then more and more as they slowly came out—way too young!—but I also had a local archaeologist influencing me, so the books were just a part, but still.)

I skip the overblown sex scenes. Totally wish I had a way to remove them, so I could share the books with a kid who’d probably like the place descriptions, too.

And I’ll just add that some of her food—gathering, preparing, utensils, serving, etc—descriptions are also excellent!

ETA: I love many of the books already listed, too. Deeply! But the Auel books are what sprang to mind upon reading the OP.

Edited by Spryte

18 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I don't remember the names of the books but I know I read 2 by Ken Follet about 14 years ago which were set in England during the cathedral building times.  It really made me think about how a lot of misconceptions about life in the middle ages and even longer ago exists.  Like the idea that no one ever moved around to what would be other countries now.

Pillars of the Earth 🙂

my high school English teacher recommended them to me and I’ve loved them ever since

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

It may be true for you, GracieJane, but it can't possibly be true for me - most of my favorite books take place in space, or else in fantasy worlds with magic rules and usually dozens of moons or perhaps no moon but anyway, definitely not earth.

My husband is a great sci fi fan and so yeah, for anyone who is that or fantasy or both, it certainly doesn't apply.

22 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

It may be true for you, GracieJane, but it can't possibly be true for me - most of my favorite books take place in space, or else in fantasy worlds with magic rules and usually dozens of moons or perhaps no moon but anyway, definitely not earth.

I am in this camp, too. (Perhaps I am secretly an alien....)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, TravelingChris said:

Like I like Louise Penney books but I have not spent any time in that part of Quebec. 

Spin off thought provoked by Louise Penney -- reading for food descriptions.  Midway through one of her books I set it aside to text dd about how many baguettes these people eat. 

But also, all those meals at the bistro, all those dinner parties -- you could eat your way through that series.

• Like 1

Just now, GailV said:

Spin off thought provoked by Louise Penney -- reading for food descriptions.  Midway through one of her books I set it aside to text dd about how many baguettes these people eat. 

But also, all those meals at the bistro, all those dinner parties -- you could eat your way through that series.

I liked another series too- Robert Parker original series (he died and someone took over the series) always had great descriptions of food.  Donna Leon set in Venice does too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GailV said:

I had to make madeleine cookies (with almond flour) because of these books! Never even heard of them before.  I remember them as being very tasty.  Love Louise Penny's vivid descriptions using all of our senses!

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, Spryte said:

I was going to mention these, too.

I love her descriptions, and (somewhat embarrassingly) they are probably a large part of how I ended up going into anthropology. (I read the first one in middle school, and then more and more as they slowly came out—way too young!—but I also had a local archaeologist influencing me, so the books were just a part, but still.)

I skip the overblown sex scenes. Totally wish I had a way to remove them, so I could share the books with a kid who’d probably like the place descriptions, too.

And I’ll just add that some of her food—gathering, preparing, utensils, serving, etc—descriptions are also excellent!

ETA: I love many of the books already listed, too. Deeply! But the Auel books are what sprang to mind upon reading the OP.

I don’t think you should be embarrassed that the books inspired you to study anthropology. 🙂 The books make you so curious about people of the past that you want to learn more. Nothing wrong with that!

• Like 1

The Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters.  I'm not a fan of mysteries, but I do love stepping into a medieval English monastery every time I pick one of these books up.  The language is beautiful, too.

(For anyone who is intrigued, start with book #2, One Corpse Too Many.  The first book has a completely different flavor, and some of the best series-long characters are introduced in book #2.)

• Like 1