Menu

Grandbaby Book Wishlist

theelfqueen

My oldest told us recently that we are expecting our first Grandbaby in August....

So I did what all Hive Grans would do .... I've started a wishlist of books and board books the baby needs on Amazon! 

What would you add? Classics? Favorites? Board Books? What are your favorites? 

I've added quite a few - The Snowy Day, and Sandra Boynton, and Where the Wild Things Are, and the Monster at the End of this Book ... and others but I'd love seeing your ideas and beloved childrens books.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 3

Congratulations! So much fun, looking forward to a baby and picking out books...

Goodnight Moon

Time for Bed- Mem Fox 

The Big Red Barn 

Peek-a-boo! - Ahlberg 

Owl Babies 

Probably not board books, but indispensable for us:

Choo Choo- Virginia Lee Burton

Cars and Trucks and Things that Go 

Make Way for Ducklings

Mike Mulligan 

Everywhere Babies 

So many others...

• Like 1

My standard answer is a good book of nursery rhymes and another of classic fairy tales.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

5 Little Monkeys collection

Usbourne Apple Tree Farm books

Mercer Mayer Critter books

Green Eggs and Ham

Beatrix Potter

Have fun and good luck, so exciting to be getting the first grandbaby, enjoy him or her!

Congratulations! 
A few of our favorites…

The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear

Nonsense! by Edward Lear

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field 

The Maggie B by Irene 

Block City by Robert Louis Stevenson

My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson

I also really loved a series of song board books, with this being our favorite. Down by the Bay

I have a ton more suggestions, but these were off the top of my head in the category of  most memorable and beloved but least likely to be repeats of others.

• Like 1

I often gift our favorite three (although it is difficult to limit to three!):

Pancakes for Breakfast, Tommie DePaola - wordless book - fun & funny!

Big Red Barn, Margaret Wise Brown - classic & quotable.

Miss Suzy, Miriam Young - Miss Suzy’s tidy house, sleeping under the stars, and the battle between the toy soldiers & the band of red squirrels…epic!

• Like 1

I love children's books!!! 💕

Board books:

Big Red Barn (Amazon tells me I have purchased this eight times!)

Blue Hat, Green Hat (purchased four times)

The Going-to-Bed Book (purchased seven times)

At least one Priddy Books first word book

Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?

Picture books:

Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm

Miss Suzy

Oh, Were They Ever Happy!

Judy Dunn's series The Little Goat / Lamb / Pig / Kitten / Puppy / Duck / Rabbit

Fourteen Bears, Summer and Winter (out-of-print)

Katy No-Pocket

The Tiger Who Came to Tea

Harry the Dirty Dog

Bunny Day

When the World Is Ready for Bed

Kittens Are Like That

Vintage Golden books: We Help Mommy, We Help Daddy, The New Baby, The Four Little Kittens, and so many more

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

Dear Zoo

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Moo Baa La La La

Blue Hat, Green Hat

Dinosaur Dance

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Anything by Julia Donaldson but my faves are: Room on the Broom, The Singing Mermaid, The Stickman, Tyrannosaurus Drip and Monkey Puzzle. 

Click Clack Moo

Curious George

In addition to the classics, there's a lot of great new books/authors.

My DS (4) has checked out Hello Friend, Goodbye Friend about a million times. It tears me up and is a great conversation opener. We like everything by Cori Doerrfeld and have The Rabbit Listened, and check out Wild Baby frequently.

Other books and authors DS loved:

Norman Didn't Do it! (Yes He Did.)

Shh! We Have a Plan DS likes everything by Chris Haughton but my other favorite is Little Owl Lost.

Peek a Who

Pouch

Little Owl's Night

Everything Mo Willems

and an old one:

It Looked Like Spilt Milk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Wanna hear something funny? DIL HATES and fears owls LOL I'm surprised how many great Owl books there are. 

It's a good thing you know this! 🙂 

ETA: My favorite librarian as a child collected owls and wore owl necklaces all the time. One reason I love owls!

Edited by MercyA
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MercyA said:

It's a good thing you know this! 🙂 

ETA: My favorite librarian as a child collected owls and wore owl necklaces all the time. One reason I love owls!

My other children like to buy owl christmas ornaments and things to tease her. On the other hand, she LOVES elephants. (In fact DS proposed to her at the zoo with an elephant).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

My other children like to buy owl christmas ornaments and things to tease her. On the other hand, she LOVES elephants. (In fact DS proposed to her at the zoo with an elephant).

Oh, in that case, one we read a lot was https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Polite-Elephant-Little/dp/110193090X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1MERUYS95YUDN&keywords=the+polite+elephant&qid=1642214285&sprefix=the+polite%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1

We had it in a board book format, which I don't see anymore. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

That looks so cute! My favorite Richard Scarry books are The Great Steamboat Mystery, The Supermarket Mystery, and The Great Pie Robbery. So entertaining! The second two were printed together in Richard Scarry's Great Big Mystery Book. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MercyA said:

That looks so cute! My favorite Richard Scarry books are The Great Steamboat Mystery, The Supermarket Mystery, and The Great Pie Robbery. So entertaining! The second two were printed together in Richard Scarry's Great Big Mystery Book. 

I love Richard Scarry! We didn't have those stories, but did have a big collection printed together, and separately, various others like Cars and Trucks and Things that Go. I liked the recurring characters, like Miss Hilda (I think?) the kindergarten teacher, Able Baker Charlie, and Rudolph von Flugle (?). I always imagined Scarry serving in WWII but daydreaming about characters and stories he wrote about later.

• Like 3

Congratulations!!  Grandchildren are so much fun!!

Favorites here are:

May I Bring A Friend? (Not a board book - for older children - but one of my all time favorites)

Jamberry

Little Blue Truck

Llama Llama

Where’s Spot

Anne

29 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, in my mind there's a big difference in books for babies and young toddlers and books for preschoolers.  A lot of these are awesome but I'd save till ages 2.5 or 3.  

Oh it's a fun exercise. I'm only sort of shopping. It's okay if the books are for preschoolers rather than babies.  Not really looking for readers and chapter books just family culture building books for little ones.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, thewellerman said:

Mouse Count and Mouse Paint

Seconding these; I sent them recently to a great-niece.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, Slache said:

Sheep in a Jeep 

Also seconding this.

Plus

Max and Ruby books by Rosemary Wells

George and Martha books

Books by Tana Hogan

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1