Menu

Can you smell ants? (updated w/ new post)

AmandaVT

Do ants smell from a distance?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Can you smell ants?

• Yes - of course, who can't smell ants??
    • No - are you kidding me? People can smell ants?
    • Other

Yes, I can smell them but it's only certain species? I can't smell fire ants, but I can smell the big black ants. I honestly thought the smell was from ant bait/poison, but I guess it's the ants themselves? 

I happen to have a banana about to go south, and yeah, the smell is kind of like that. 

Weird. 

• Like 1

Our family has had this conversation several times. We get kitchen ants/sugar ants/malodorous house ants every summer. I can very easily smell them, especially if they get upset by giant hands exterminating them. Some members of my household have agreed to believe that I can but are, I suspect, still skeptical deep down. I've never tried to smell fire ants so I don't know if I could. To be honest, I've never TRIED to smell any ants, but when they are invading, it's pretty obvious.

• Like 1

So do you have to like, get down on them to smell them or is a scent in the air? You can tell if they’re distressed? Can you smell just one?  How many before you smell them? Do you smell them outside?  Can you sniff out a nest?  (Ive been reading Perfume by Patrick süskind, sorry)

I’ve never tried smelling ants and now it’s winter and there are no ants and I’m annoyed because I’ll forget by summer 😭😭

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

So do you have to like, get down on them to smell them or is a scent in the air? You can tell if they’re distressed? Can you smell just one?  How many before you smell them? Do you smell them outside?  Can you sniff out a nest?  (Ive been reading Perfume by Patrick süskind, sorry)

I’ve never tried smelling ants and now it’s winter and there are no ants and I’m annoyed because I’ll forget by summer 😭😭

I don’t think I can smell all species. But often when one is crawling in me and I kill it, I can smell it. It has a very strong chemical smell. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

Idk, within a few feet if there’s a bunch of them.

They have an acidic/wet dirt/metallic kind of smell. I’ve never paid enough attention to know if they’re different or stronger when eating an apple core or dead grasshopper vs when they’re being killed. 

eta: having a strong sense of smell is the worst superpower.  Other things I can smell:

-Boxwood smells like cat pee on hot days

-Immunity blends of essential oils not only smell like metallic cat pee, they induce a migraine immediately. Several people have told me to most people they smell like currents.

-In nursing, different diseases have distinct smells. C-Diff is the worst smell ever. Gangrene or other skin infections aren’t wonderful either. Diarrhea from someone with colon cancer is also terrible. Someone dying of cancer frequently smells like Easter Lilies in the 2-36 hours before death. Certain kinds of laxatives have distinct smells too. 

-My own pee smells drastically different based on what I’ve been eating, but I’ve never smelled a difference from eating asparagus. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ailaena said:

This.

• Like 1

I can't smell a single ant, but I can certainly smell when there are a bunch of them gathered together.

I don't think I'd describe it as a rotting banana, though. More like very dusty, old cardboard with a chemical taint to it.

It had never occurred to me to ask someone if they could, or couldn't. I thought was like "wet dog" smell or something. Everyone can smell it, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, I can. 

I agree with Katy’s descriptions of smells. With re: to medical smells I can also smell when someone has low kidney function. The ammonia smell is strong. I can also usually smell when someone in my household is about to become ill. They just smell off. 

Sometimes that ammonia smell is a sign they’ve been eating too much protein for them. Some people genetically have a reduced ability to break down protein. But otherwise I agree. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, math teacher said:

Answering a couple questions:

The smell is just in the air-you don't have to get down on the ground to smell it. Neither do you have to smash one. However, I have smelled one when I smashed it.

Thanks for this explanation! Because firstly I thought 'People smell ants?Why?' But, if the smell is in the air, then everything is clear. 
I've never felt the smell of ants, maybe it's because I've never thought about it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ailaena said:

I just put a reminder in my calendar to bump this post in 6 months. We can all test it out. I think I'm a no though because I am not a good smeller on a good day and I'm guessing I would have noticed before now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EKS said:

For some reason this astounds me!  

Why? If they're on me, I brush them off. If they're on the floor, if it's the little ones, I sweep them onto the dustpan or wipe with a moist cloth and drop them outside. The large ones ( there's usually only one or two at a time) , I pick up in the folds of a cloth dish towel and shake them out outside. 

We don't kill any bugs in the house. Spiders get removed with the glass/postcard method.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

A few months ago dd mentioned that she just recently realized not everyone can smell ants. 

And that was the first time I heard of anyone smelling ants. I tend to be really weird about smells and am quite grateful that apparently I don't smell this one.  I'm one of those people currently loving KN95 masks because I'm no longer bothered by perfumes or whatnot when I'm wearing one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

I can smell strep throat. Not a regular cold though. 

When my father was like 8 years old, some kid on the schoolyard came up to him and said "you smell like measles."  And sure enough, he came down with measles the next day!

• 5 months later...

I spent WAY too long this morning trying to remember why I had this on my calendar for today: 

image.thumb.png.afb40ad1720708f4564638d0c165152c.png

After being slightly crabby with my cryptic former self, I finally thought to search my forum topics and found this thread! 

My update - it's summer and I still can't smell ants. Although, knock on wood, we haven't had many at all yet this year either. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• AmandaVT changed the title to Can you smell ants? (updated w/ new post)