Menu

I didn't know there was a third meaning for tea.

MercyA

I saw this on Reddit today and had to google what tea means in this context:

image.png.f8eb7553dc99b3c785be0b700d3f0d98.png

So apparently tea can ALSO mean juicy gossip and can be used in a phrase like "spill the tea." Have I been living under a rock? Did everyone know this except me? 😉 Nice little article here:

https://www.kansan.com/chalkmagazine/on-the-origins-of-thats-the-tea/article_002d73cc-56ec-11e9-bb98-1b8f6da4f2d2.html

Edited by MercyA
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I saw this on Reddit today and had to google what tea means in this context:

image.png.f8eb7553dc99b3c785be0b700d3f0d98.png

So apparently tea can ALSO mean juicy gossip and can be used in a phrase like "spill the tea." Have I been living under a rock? Did everyone know this except me? 😉 Nice little article here:

https://www.kansan.com/chalkmagazine/on-the-origins-of-thats-the-tea/article_002d73cc-56ec-11e9-bb98-1b8f6da4f2d2.html

You aren't the only one who has never heard of that definition.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I always heard 'spill the beans.'  LOL

I've used that too, but I think the context is slightly different.  I think when you ask someone to 'spill the beans' it's typically something they are reluctant to share (perhaps something that's weighing on their mind, or alternately, feeling guilty about).  Whereas people are usually super-eager to spill the tea (juicy gossip).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 6

One of my young adults shared a TikTok with me last week that had three generations of slang, and this was one of the ones included. I was familiar with most of them, but learned a few new ones. I’ll have to see if she’ll share the link with me and I will post it.

• Like 1

I never heard anyone in real life use "on fleek" but that was apparently a thing for awhile. Not sure any of these except "sus" and "stan" were picked up in every day (kid) slang. My kids use "sus" a lot. From Bustle in 2017:

"According to Pop Sugar, snatched is a new slang term used to describe anything that looks really good. Basically, it's the new on fleek because, on fleek is so over.

Pop Sugar also listed several other slang words that are working their way into everyday conversations. And, if you have major FOMO, these new slang terms terms are: Sus (sketchy or shady), boots (basically this can be used the same as AF; instead of saying "I'm tired AF," you can say "I'm tired boots"), Stan (hardcore fan, which stems from the Eminem song Stan about an over-the-top fan), and OTP (one true pairing, kind of like bae)."

And if you want something more recent but that you've actually heard of many of them, here are 35 terms from Family Education that all parents should know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I never heard anyone in real life use "on fleek" but that was apparently a thing for awhile. Not sure any of these except "sus" and "stan" were picked up in every day (kid) slang. My kids use "sus" a lot. From Bustle in 2017:

"According to Pop Sugar, snatched is a new slang term used to describe anything that looks really good. Basically, it's the new on fleek because, on fleek is so over.

Pop Sugar also listed several other slang words that are working their way into everyday conversations. And, if you have major FOMO, these new slang terms terms are: Sus (sketchy or shady), boots (basically this can be used the same as AF; instead of saying "I'm tired AF," you can say "I'm tired boots"), Stan (hardcore fan, which stems from the Eminem song Stan about an over-the-top fan), and OTP (one true pairing, kind of like bae)."

And if you want something more recent but that you've actually heard of many of them, here are 35 terms from Family Education that all parents should know.

No one uses on fleek anymore. Funny story, when my 24yo was in high school her AP English teacher was making a list of slang on the board and someone said on fleek but the teacher thought it had some sort of French origin and wrote it as "en flique" (or something close to that). The kids got a good laugh from that. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I only ever heard adults use ‘on fleek’ in conversation. Among kids, the list in the link is standard for my area. I hear these the most: sus, cringe, high-key, low-key, no cap, bet, stan, periodT, beat (for makeup), and werk but most of DDs friends are LGBTQIA and VERY sassy.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

I was subjected to a conversation which included "to tea bag". It was so awkward. One of those conversations you want to be over but it just keeps going on.

ETA: Don't Google it! It means putting certain male genitalia on someone else for fun. Apparently, guys do it to each other for fun? As a prank, unless there is yet another sexual meaning for it also.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Haha 2

Here's a funny story about all the tea.

Shortly after DS got his first girlfriend, we were talking at work and he said he wanted to tell me about the tea.

I was instantly horrified, thinking that he's only 16 and she was older, but put on my brave mom face and thought to myself that I needed to be grateful he was willing to talk about it with his mom.   Then he launched into telling me all the gossip from his friend group at the time, and it took me a really long time to realize that Tea=Gossip and not the same TEA that gets talked about here on the forums.

AFAIK, our version of tea here at the WTM is still only used here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I asked my daughter if she knew this meaning of tea tonight. She did, from YouTube toy collecting channels. She defined it simply as information. Example from YouTube: "I'm here to give you the T on all the toys you love!" 

I am old. 🙂 

ETA: I'm nearing 10,000 posts. Crazy.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Sharing our conversation the other night at the lunch table,

Me: looking at my husband, "Have you ever heard the expression, 'Spill the tea'?

Hubby: With a confused look, "No."

Me:"It means gossip, though if you have some really juicy gossip you tell people you have some really hot tea for them."

My daughter, shaking her head, "Mom, no. That sound creepy. You say you have piping hot tea."

Me: "In other words, please don't try to be cool you old fartknockers."

We all dissolve into laughter. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2021 at 4:38 AM, RootAnn said:

Sus has been in common use here forever - short for suspect.

• Like 1

Hi, all! I haven't been around for quite some time.

One of my very young co-workers and I were talking and I said off the cuff that,"someone was acting sus." I don't really think we're allowed to use their language. She giggled. Hey, I get it from my young adult kids. I've never heard of "on fleek." And yes, I still think of tea as used only here as well as books!

• Like 1