Menu

What’s for dinner?

Sneezyone

I’m in a rut and need some good ideas. Especially for light, quick and easy summer fare. We’ve had grilled chicken, Italian beef sandwiches, and stuffed eggplant so far this week. Today is bolognese, pasta and salad (variation the same theme). What on your table?

Edited by Sneezyone

6 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Tonight is grilled brats and cole slaw.

Tomorrow is burgers, tater tots (dh likes those ridiculous things) and hopefully corn on the cob, if I can get my hands on some

This weekend, herbed chicken (crockpot) with potatoes and green beans (all thrown into crockpot)

I might do burgers again. Did that last week but it’s always a crowd pleaser.

• Like 1

I have no idea. I am distinctly uninspired and have been wishing that I could retire from cooking or at least take a long vacation. Maybe stir fry, if I can scrounge enough veggies; I haven't been to the store this week, but I think I have some broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage in the fridge.

I told the teens that they each need to cook once a week, but I haven't even had the gumption to make sure that happens, and we've been doing a lot of take out.

• Like 2

We're in a way-too-early heat wave right now, and our dd and her dh are staying with us because their AC is broken.  Her dh made a dish that always tastes so good on hot nights:  canned tuna mixed with a little mayo, lots of lime juice, lime zest, chopped avocado, chopped onion, chopped tomato, parsley, hot sauce...  And you dip soda crackers into it.  

Other hot weather foods that my kids loved:

Chowmein noodles mixed with canned tuna, a little mayo, grated carrots, chopped onions, lots of lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper.  Make sure it has time to cool in fridge.  Right before serving, add frozen peas!  Those are key.  🙂

On nights that I didn't feel like cooking at all:  do-it-yourself granola parfaits.  We used granola layered with nonfat plain yogurt, frozen berries, and a juice like cherry juice.

Also, oven pancakes.  (Sometimes called Dutch pancakes.)  Super easy to make.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and lemon juice.  Serve with fruit on the side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-rap said:

We're in a way-too-early heat wave right now, and our dd and her dh are staying with us because their AC is broken.  Her dh made a dish that always tastes so good on hot nights:  canned tuna mixed with a little mayo, lots of lime juice, lime zest, chopped avocado, chopped onion, chopped tomato, parsley, hot sauce...  And you dip soda crackers into it.  

Other hot weather foods that my kids loved:

Chowmein noodles mixed with canned tuna, a little mayo, grated carrots, chopped onions, lots of lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper.  Make sure it has time to cool in fridge.  Right before serving, add frozen peas!  Those are key.  🙂

On nights that I didn't feel like cooking at all:  do-it-yourself granola parfaits.  We used granola layered with nonfat plain yogurt, frozen berries, and a juice like cherry juice.

Also, oven pancakes.  (Sometimes called Dutch pancakes.)  Super easy to make.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and lemon juice.  Serve with fruit on the side.

Breakfast dinner with yogurt parfaits!! Winning!! I can do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I've been having some kind of meat, a salad, and another veggie every night for... months now. I'm so over making completely different dishes every night. It requires way too much thought!

I’m thinking maybe build your own panini and pasta salad will work too. No stovetop except the noodles since we have a press and everything can go right back into the fridge/on the counter.

We fell into an enormous rut with food in early 2021 and I started ordering Hello Fresh for 3-4 nights a week.  My sons and husband prepare the meals for the most part.  Not the cheapest option but I don’t have to shop, meal plan or, as it turns out, cook it so I’m good.  Since we do pizza and salad on Fridays, I now only have to cook dinner 2-3 nights a week.  This is what my older son is cooking for dinner tonight:  

EA0EB9AE-2A83-497D-A90A-D900C6DD3EAB.thumb.jpeg.32d0f93c2013cfeca1b8fa345f462a65.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

We fell into an enormous rut with food in early 2021 and I started ordering Hello Fresh for 3-4 nights a week.  My sons and husband prepare the meals for the most part.  Not the cheapest option but I don’t have to shop, meal plan or, as it turns out, cook it so I’m good.  Since we do pizza and salad on Fridays, I now only have to cook dinner 2-3 nights a week.  This is what my older son is cooking for dinner tonight:  

EA0EB9AE-2A83-497D-A90A-D900C6DD3EAB.thumb.jpeg.32d0f93c2013cfeca1b8fa345f462a65.jpeg

I did the same thing with Purple Carrot last year. I LIKED them and DD did too for the most part but the men folk here are anti-vegan food (and one...the big guy...wrinkles his nose up at fish). lol. The man-child will eat everything he’s given and still top it off with a trough of cereal.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been grilling a big portion of chicken, beef, lamb or whatever, along with veggies.

First night is grilled platter. Second and third or either a big salad or make-your-own grain bowl topped with leftover protein and veg. 

Sometimes I get inspired to make a homemade dressing like chermoula or tahini lemon. Or bacon, boiled eggs or whatever seems like an interesting addition. But even when it's just the same basics, my family has not complained about the reappearances from night to night, because it's different enough. 

I'm also sick of cooking and longing to be nurtured myself. 

Some restaurants in our area have continued offering lovely family-style takeout at reasonable prices, so we're doing more takeout too. I hope they continue family-style to-go options forever.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I did the same thing with Purple Carrot last year. I LIKED them and DD did too for the most part but the men folk here are anti-vegan food (and one...the big guy...wrinkles his nose up at fish). lol. The man-child will eat everything he’s given and still top it off with a trough of cereal.

For Hello Fresh, I usually pick 1 fish and 1 veggie meal per week.  Then 1-2 chicken or other meat options.  Sometimes I toss in a second veggie meal and use it for lunch for me and my husband a couple of days.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

For Hello Fresh, I usually pick 1 fish and 1 veggie meal per week.  Then 1-2 chicken or other meat options.  Sometimes I toss in a second veggie meal and use it for lunch for me and my husband a couple of days.  

I might try this. As much as I love the more veggie forward options, they don’t get rave reviews here.

I am also bored of cooking, so I made a cross-city trip to the giant pan-Asian grocery store and got a bunch of dried noodles and jarred sauces. Stir fry a protein and whatever veggies are around, dump in a sauce, serve over noodles or stir in the noodles at the end of cooking, depending on the dish.  DH’s fave is Singapore rice noodles, and that sauce comes as a jar of concentrate that you can keep in the fridge and use by the tablespoon.  

Work-wise it’s the same as Italian pasta and jarred sauce, but it adds another palate of flavor options.

• Like 3

We have been grilling out a lot. So I am changing it up tonight. I am putting A whole chicken in the oven to roast, and will have steamed broccoli, buttered carrots, mashed potatoes, and mixed fruit. Not exactly light fare.

But something we have done recently is grilled pizzas. I bought nan breads, and each person made up their pizzas, and we put them on the charcoal grill with a low set of coals. Very yummy and easy peasy.

• Like 1

no idea.  I jsut went grocery shopping so I have a fridge filled with fresh fruits and veggies, a variety of thawed meat, and tons of options and I just don't know what to make.  I have a whole turkey that has been thawing so it it is ready that is what we'll have for dinner.  If not, most likely oven roasted chicken fajitas since it is easy and I'm exhausted from swimming and painting yesterday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We have been grilling out a lot. So I am changing it up tonight. I am putting A whole chicken in the oven to roast, and will have steamed broccoli, buttered carrots, mashed potatoes, and mixed fruit. Not exactly light fare.

But something we have done recently is grilled pizzas. I bought nan breads, and each person made up their pizzas, and we put them on the charcoal grill with a low set of coals. Very yummy and easy peasy.

So have we!! It’s getting hot tho so I’m looking for some indoor but light options. On the grill, we (I) do huli huli chicken, sausages/brats (both Asian, German, and Italian-style), turkey and beef with peppers and onions. This usually lasts two-three days as described above. I just can’t see myself, in the heat of summer, standing over my grill. I have to wash the smoke away too before I go to bed.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

One of my favorite cold summer salads is shrimp macaroni slaw.  

3/4 cup (uncooked measurement) elbow macaroni

12 oz pre-cooked salad shrimp,

3 c shredded cabbage

1/4 c canola oil

2 T distilled white vinegar

1 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper

You can add other chopped veggies too, but I like the basic version best.  The plain vinegar and pepper give it a little bite. It’s not as good using fancier vinegars.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

I’m thinking maybe build your own panini and pasta salad will work too. No stovetop except the noodles since we have a press and everything can go right back into the fridge/on the counter.

Definitely! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Yes, they will, and I’m always open to variations!

Okay, so I have posted this before. Forgive me if you have already seen it in another thread.

Bow tie pasta

Olive oil and apple cider vinegar

Garlic, basil, oregano

Broccoli buds

Grape tomatoes

Pepperoni (optional if going meatless)

Celery

Red pepper

Feta cheese crumbles

First I cook and entire box of bow tie pasta and then rinse and cool. While cooking, finely ( and this is key so it mixes really well and gets coated with the dressing), dice all of the veggies though you can just half or quarter the grape tomatoes or toss on later as a garnish if someone is not a fan. Chop the pepperoni into smaller pieces.

Half cup olive oil 2/3 cup vinegar - or more importantly mix proportions to taste based on how tangy your family likes there dressings, and then add powdered or minced garlic to taste with about a tsp of basil and tsp of oregano. My family really likes basil so sometimes I chop up fresh basil leaves from my garden.

Mix it thoroughly and let chill a couple of hours so it really gets flavorful. Lasts up to 48 hours in the fridge, but is best in the first 24 because bow tie pasta doesn't last as long as penne. However, due to shape, the veggies and herbs stick to it better if finely diced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, so I have posted this before. Forgive me if you have already seen it in another thread.

Bow tie pasta

Olive oil and apple cider vinegar

Garlic, basil, oregano

Broccoli buds

Grape tomatoes

Pepperoni (optional if going meatless)

Celery

Red pepper

Feta cheese crumbles

First I cook and entire box of bow tie pasta and then rinse and cool. While cooking, finely ( and this is key so it mixes really well and gets coated with the dressing), dice all of the veggies though you can just half or quarter the grape tomatoes or toss on later as a garnish if someone is not a fan. Chop the pepperoni into smaller pieces.

Half cup olive oil 2/3 cup vinegar - or more importantly mix proportions to taste based on how tangy your family likes there dressings, and then add powdered or minced garlic to taste with about a tsp of basil and tsp of oregano. My family really likes basil so sometimes I chop up fresh basil leaves from my garden.

Mix it thoroughly and let chill a couple of hours so it really gets flavorful. Lasts up to 48 hours in the fridge, but is best in the first 24 because bow tie pasta doesn't last as long as penne. However, due to shape, the veggies and herbs stick to it better if finely diced.

Sounds delish, thanks!

Though I am no fan of the microwave for cooking, I have been known when it is hot and I feel entirely lazy, to toss big baking potatoes into the the wave, quick steam some broccoli, and whip out a bag of bacon bits, shred some cheddar cheese and leave the salt, pepper, and sour cream and chives on the island. Filling, and I seriously did not do much. I really don't enjoy cooking on a good day. Viciously hot? I am in full on hate it mode! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Though I am no fan of the microwave for cooking, I have been known when it is hot and I feel entirely lazy, to toss big baking potatoes into the the wave, quick steam some broccoli, and whip out a bag of bacon bits, shred some cheddar cheese and leave the salt, pepper, and sour cream and chives on the island. Filling, and I seriously did not do much. I really don't enjoy cooking on a good day. Viciously hot? I am in full on hate it mode! 

LOVE THIS!!

SO does the majority of the cooking. Tonight we're having toasted turkey & cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread. 

Other things he has made recently: grilled salmon with peppers & onions and breakfast burritos with ham & sausage, egg, and cheese. 

I was thinking of doing baked meatballs & peppers one day this week. 

He also does a lot of wrapa with tortilla, spinach, cheese, & either chicken or pork. 

The other night I made refrigerated pesto pasta(rotini) with cubed mozzarella for a side with burgers. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, elegantlion said:

SO does the majority of the cooking. Tonight we're having toasted turkey & cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread. 

Other things he has made recently: grilled salmon with peppers & onions and breakfast burritos with ham & sausage, egg, and cheese. 

I was thinking of doing baked meatballs & peppers one day this week. 

He also does a lot of wrapa with tortilla, spinach, cheese, & either chicken or pork. 

The other night I made refrigerated pesto pasta(rotini) with cubed mozzarella for a side with burgers. 

The pesto pasta sounds delish. DH would definitely love that and I have some (fresh) pesto in the freezer!

• Like 1

Just now, WildflowerMom said:

I envy you people who aren’t afraid of the oven right now.  If I turned mine on, the temp in this house would rival the temps of hell.     🥵🥵🥵

It has its downsides, too.  Highs this week are in the low 70's, which means my kid is playing baseball in 56 degrees at night.

Our menu for the next few days:

Tonight: bbq chicken, German potato salad, watermelon

Tomorrow: leftovers, or pasta, salad, and bread

Saturday: lamb kabobs, falafel, arugula salad with dates,

Sunday: caprese salad, fettucini with pesto, green salad and bread

Monday: tacos

Tuesday: nachos (our traditional, use up all the taco leftovers, dish the day after.)

• Like 2

I found some inexpensive-ish steak today, so we are grilling that, along with esquites (Mexican street corn salad - made with frozen corn) and some form of frozen potatoes (unfortunately we are out of tater tots 😎 but we always have some sort).

13 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

DD loves this too.

Have you ever made it with zoodles? I'm not eating any gluten (and don't really care for gluten free substitutes) so I'm wondering if zoodles would work as well as they do with spaghetti sauce? I may try and report back if no one here knows.

3 minutes ago, Dynamite5 said:

Have you ever made it with zoodles? I'm not eating any gluten (and don't really care for gluten free substitutes) so I'm wondering if zoodles would work as well as they do with spaghetti sauce? I may try and report back if no one here knows.

I haven’t but I suppose it’s possible. Zoodles tend to be kinda liquid-y tho.

I love these threads, and the fact that most people are on the other side of the world means I'm introduced to lots of foods I haven't heard of or at least haven't thought of (eg had to google huli huli chicken). 

It is literally freezing here, we got snow y'day, so I will be using the oven tonight in order to warm the house; I think I'll cook up a thick meaty stew. 

• Like 4