Menu

What’s for dinner?

Sneezyone

Tonight we're having chicken lo mein with kohlrabi and bok choy.

Other dishes on the menu this week (I cook lunch and dinner since we're all home together):

strawberry wrap with leftover rotisserie chicken

cobb salad, double chocolate muffins

beef gyros

bbq sloppy joes, corn, watermelon

homemade spaghettios with meatballs

cranberry chicken salad, english muffins with butter and jam

burritos, Moe's Homewrecker style

spring roll bowl with chicken

bbq chicken salad, hawaiian rolls

If we ever get a break from the heat, I am craving:

chicken and eggplant parmesan, garlic bread, salad

chicken enchiladas

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rutheart said:

Tonight we're having chicken lo mein with kohlrabi and bok choy.

Other dishes on the menu this week (I cook lunch and dinner since we're all home together):

strawberry wrap with leftover rotisserie chicken

cobb salad, double chocolate muffins

beef gyros

bbq sloppy joes, corn, watermelon

homemade spaghettios with meatballs

cranberry chicken salad, english muffins with butter and jam

burritos, Moe's Homewrecker style

spring roll bowl with chicken

bbq chicken salad, hawaiian rolls

If we ever get a break from the heat, I am craving:

chicken and eggplant parmesan, garlic bread, salad

chicken enchiladas

You are a cooking rock star!!

• Like 1

The spring rolls are a great idea. I have some mint and Thai basil that needs trimming. I have lettuce, rice paper, and the shrimp is easily defrosted. I might pick up an avocado but that should do it. DS is allergic to nuts but I can use sunflower butter to make a nice dip. Now I need a side...hmm...might just sauté some broccoli and have DD make fresh rice. YAY!

• Like 1

I made this BBQ Shredded Chicken tonight and it's a family favorite. It's very flexible so I use whatever chicken I have on hand. Sometimes I make it in the oven and sometimes in a crockpot. On hot days I might plug the crockpot out on the deck. 

We prefer it cooked without the bbq sauce, then served on the side. 

Be sure and use smoked paprika as it totally makes the dish!

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bbq-shredded-chicken-168003

• Thanks 1

Our menu this week is:

Angel chicken 

pork fried rice

cheesesteaks

spaghetti and meatballs

hot dogs and French fries 

gyros

I've got a lot of lettuce coming out of my garden so they're getting a salad with every meal.  The spaghetti and meatballs is the most involved one and I did that today, so I can coast a bit.  I make enough to freeze some for later.  I might do the same with the angel chicken, but that's a new recipe so I'm not sure.

ETA: Falafel!  I'm glad someone mentioned it on this thread.  I forgot I wanted to make some tomorrow and I haven't soaked my chickpeas yet.

Edited by KungFuPanda
because I forgot the falafel
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, Danae said:

I am also bored of cooking, so I made a cross-city trip to the giant pan-Asian grocery store and got a bunch of dried noodles and jarred sauces. Stir fry a protein and whatever veggies are around, dump in a sauce, serve over noodles or stir in the noodles at the end of cooking, depending on the dish.  DH’s fave is Singapore rice noodles, and that sauce comes as a jar of concentrate that you can keep in the fridge and use by the tablespoon.  

Work-wise it’s the same as Italian pasta and jarred sauce, but it adds another palate of flavor options.

I can walk to my Asian market.  When they opened, it was easier to change the way I cook than it was to go to a different grocery store.  I bought a wok and just rolled with it. I think Lo Mein might be the quickest meal I can make these days. Its faster than fried rice.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:44 PM, WildflowerMom said:

I envy you people who aren’t afraid of the oven right now.  If I turned mine on, the temp in this house would rival the temps of hell.     🥵🥵🥵

My house is cold year-round, so I'm never afraid of the oven.  It WAS a bit cool today, so that was a nice break from  the heat we had earlier in the week and the screaming the cicadas do as it warms up.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:57 PM, KungFuPanda said:

Our menu this week is:

Angel chicken 

pork fried rice

cheesesteaks

spaghetti and meatballs

hot dogs and French fries 

gyros

I've got a lot of lettuce coming out of my garden so they're getting a salad with every meal.  The spaghetti and meatballs is the most involved one and I did that today, so I can coast a bit.  I make enough to freeze some for later.  I might do the same with the angel chicken, but that's a new recipe so I'm not sure.

ETA: Falafel!  I'm glad someone mentioned it on this thread.  I forgot I wanted to make some tomorrow and I haven't soaked my chickpeas yet.

I LOVE falafel. I should make some. Hmph.

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

For super easy Trader Joe's frozen falafel isn't bad, especially heated in the toaster oven until crispy. We'll have that and tahini dressing over salad for a summer dinner here. I also like Costco falafel but it's too spicy for one of my kids.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Acadie said:

For super easy Trader Joe's frozen falafel isn't bad, especially heated in the toaster oven until crispy. We'll have that and tahini dressing over salad for a summer dinner here. I also like Costco falafel but it's too spicy for one of my kids.

I hate making it just for myself but we do have a TJ here. I will try it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

It's so easy . . . everything can go into the food processor.  I added 1/2 tsp of salt to the recipe (because I was using kosher salt), 1/2 tsp coriander, and a teaspoon of baking powder.  I also doubled the recipe and froze half the batter to make another time.  I don't know how it will turn out from frozen.  I'm trying to nail down the perfect falafel for our tastes, and this recipe, with the tweaks, is a pretty good start if you like it a little spicy.

• Thanks 1

This is our week food wise.  I skipped Hello Fresh this week because we leave for vacation this Sunday and I wanted to use up all of our perishables and thin out the freezer a bit too.  

M - dinner out for niece’s 14th birthday.  The 6 kids (ages 12-19) all commented that it was weird to be sitting in a restaurant again.  She picked a steak house so we are all full of food tonight.  

Tu - Shrimp tacos with red cabbage jalapeño slaw.  Taco meat for those who won’t eat shrimp.   

W - younger son is fixing breakfast for dinner (to use up eggs and breakfast meat)

Th- my older son is fixing teriyaki salmon, broccoli and rice.

F- Pizza night (homemade)

S- Raid the fridge and eat whatever you find.  

Edited by LucyStoner

This is our week 

M- homemade Albacore poke bowls with cucumber, avocado, and seaweed salad. Spicy Tuna and salmon rolls 

T-salmon with potatoes and roasted veggies 

W- breakfast for dinner 

T- pasta with marinara sauce and meatballs, garlic bread and salad

F- homemade pizza and salad

S- milk ramen with soft boiled eggs