Menu

South Carolinians...death by firing squad?

pinball

33 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Shane Claiborne is a Christian social justice guy who has worked hard to overturn the death penalty.  On one of his websites, he lists lots of groups across the country where you can find more information and get involved.  

http://executinggrace.com/orgs

Thank you. I appreciate it!

i might contact that NC one and see if they have a SC org they can recommend  if no one here has one to recommend 

• Like 2

From a personal viewpoint, if I were to be executed, I would prefer a firing squad to any of the other methods currently being used. I am only speaking for myself, and also not to the broader issue of capital punishment or of how it might affect those who are administering it. It was just the thought that ran through my mind when I first saw this in the news.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

From a personal viewpoint, if I were to be executed, I would prefer a firing squad to any of the other methods currently being used. I am only speaking for myself, and also not to the broader issue of capital punishment or of how it might affect those who are administering it. It was just the thought that ran through my mind when I first saw this in the news.

This was my thought, too. I am totally against the death penalty, but this seems the quickest and most humane way to kill someone. If killing someone were humane.

• Like 8

Multiple states already allow methods of capital punishment besides lethal injection, including firing squads and electrocution, and the Trump administration expanded the methods allowed for federal executions to any method that is legal in the state in which the execution is carried out, including firing squads and electrocution. The document on the new federal rule lists of some of the methods allowed in different states:

"Section 3596 of title 18 provides that Federal executions are to be carried out in the manner prescribed by the law of the relevant State, and the Federal execution regulations provide that Federal executions are to be carried out by lethal injection except to the extent a court orders otherwise, 28 CFR 26.2(a)(2), 26.3(a). Execution by lethal injection is now universally authorized in States that have capital punishment, see In re Fed. Bureau of Prisons' Execution Protocol Cases, 955 F.3d 106, 114 (D.C. Cir. 2020) (Katsas, J., concurring) (“Every state that authorizes capital punishment uses lethal injection `as the exclusive or primary means of implementing the death penalty.' ” (quoting Baze v. Rees, 553 U.S. 35, 42 (2008) (plurality opinion))), but some States currently authorize execution by other means in certain circumstances, and more States may authorize execution by other means in the future. See, e.g., Ala. Code 15-18-82.1(a) (by lethal injection but electrocution or nitrogen hypoxia may be elected); Miss. Code Ann. 99-19-51(1)-(4) (by lethal injection but by nitrogen hypoxia, electrocution, or firing squad if other methods are held unconstitutional or otherwise unavailable); Okla. Stat. tit. 22, sec. 1014 (same); Ark. Code Ann. 5-4-617(l) (by electrocution if execution by lethal injection is invalidated); Fla. Stat. 922.105 (by lethal injection but electrocution may be elected); see also Bucklewv. Precythe, 139 S. Ct. 1112, 1142 (2019) (Breyer, J., dissenting) (noting States permitting use of nitrogen hypoxia); Glossip v. Gross, 135 S. Ct. 2726, 2796 (2015) (Sotomayor, J., dissenting) (noting State using firing squad). One State has recently used electrocution. See Media Advisory, Tenn. Dep't of Corr. (Dec. 5, 2019, 7:27 p.m.), https://www.tn.gov/correction/news/2019/12/5/media-advisory.html. Some States also provide by law that a prisoner may choose the manner of execution from among several options in at least some circumstances. See Ala. Code 15-18-82.1(b); Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. 13-757(B); Cal. Penal Code 3604; Fla. Stat. 922.105; Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. 431.220(1)(b); S.C. Code Ann. 24-3-530(A); Tenn. Code Ann. 40-23-114(b); Va. Code Ann. 53.1-234."

The new rule allows Federal executions "by lethal injection “or by any other manner prescribed by the law of the State in which the sentence was imposed or which has been designated by a court in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 3596(a).” 

ETA: To be clear, I don't think any method of state-sanctioned murder is ever "humane."

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

8 minutes ago, PeppermintPattie said:

This was my thought, too. I am totally against the death penalty, but this seems the quickest and most humane way to kill someone. If killing someone were humane.

I can understand why people might think this. 

But I wish, as people, no one ever had to consider this...the reason being that there would NO death penalty, in any form, any where. That’s an awkward sentence. I’m sorry.

34 minutes ago, pinball said:

Don’t turn this thread into something it’s not.

I’m so confused.  What on earth are you “fighting” if not against the death penalty??  What the hell is the difference between electric chair and firing squad??

I take it back, I’d choose firing squad.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ailaena said:

I’m so confused.  What on earth are you “fighting” if not against the death penalty??  What the hell is the difference between electric chair and firing squad??

I take it back, I’d choose firing squad.  

Stop being hostile. That’s no way to have a decent conversation. 

this thread is anti-death penalty and in particular about looking for S.C. resources. It is NOT just anti-firing squad. I don’t want it twisted to imply that it is just anti-firing squad

5 minutes ago, pinball said:

Stop being hostile. That’s no way to have a decent conversation. 

this thread is anti-death penalty and in particular about looking for S.C. resources. It is NOT just anti-firing squad. I don’t want it twisted to imply that it is just anti-firing squad

Oh. Well, I guess I misunderstood and thought it was for a broader conversation. Maybe you should put JAWM in the title. I also thought you were saying the firing squad was so much worse and that it shouldn't be an option if executions were taking place..

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 12

9 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Oh. Well, I guess I misunderstood and thought it was for a broader conversation. Maybe you should put JAWM in the title. I also thought you were saying the firing squad was so much worse and that it shouldn't be an option if executions were taking place..

That's exactly how I read it, which was reinforced by the OP jumping on someone who said all executions are barbaric — that made it seem like the thread was definitely about death by firing squad being worse than lethal injection. 

• Like 14

I am curious if the state of SC is preparing the argument "he/she chose it" to ward off any litigation about execution method being unjust.  Seems to be an unnecessary law because states typically already allow for a variety of ways to kill prisoners.  Part of me thinks it is a rub-in-your-face cruel law that certain states are notorious for.

All that aside, if I could not manage to commit suicide in my cell, I would most definitely select firing squad over any other method, including lethal injection.

• Like 3

Considering some of the issues with lethal injection, I don't know that this is so much worse. How do we kill people "humanely" is... really hard. None of the methods are especially humane. 

I can't imagine starting a thread about this and not understanding that obviously it opens the question which is deeply intertwined.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I'm baffled by your comment to bibiche since everyone is anti- death penalty but OP really I just treat Bill like my Q-Anon inlaws. People who only call names and make snarky remarks aren't worth my time so I ignore them. Just continue the conversation with people who actually provide insight or new info like the link that J-rap provided. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wait, we get to dictate how people respond to topics we start, including extremely controversial or polarizing ones?  Why didn't someone tell me this sooner!?

In all of my topics require people to agree with me, tell me how great I am, refrain from using the words amazing and literally unless they're used in the original and strictest senses of the word, all chit chat is edited out, and people pm me for an address to send me chocolates. Oh, and they must use my official title: She Who Must Be Obeyed and close with Your Humble Servant.

Future topics will include but will not be limited to:

Abortion (obviously)
Universal Basic Income
Donald Trump
Pineapple on Pizza
Parenting Styles
Gun Control

Countdown to official locking of the thread starting......NOW!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 23

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

That's exactly how I read it, which was reinforced by the OP jumping on someone who said all executions are barbaric — that made it seem like the thread was definitely about death by firing squad being worse than lethal injection. 

Absolutely not.

it is a broad conversation 

I “jumped on someone” (no I didn’t) to forestall anyone thinking that this was a thread that was simply anti-firing squad and not anti-death penalty.

Anti-death penalty is the broad part, anti-firing squad falls under anti-death penalty for me. It is NOT an anti-firing squad but pro death penalty thread. And I wanted to stop ANY implication that it was.

30 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Considering some of the issues with lethal injection, I don't know that this is so much worse. How do we kill people "humanely" is... really hard. None of the methods are especially humane. 

I can't imagine starting a thread about this and not understanding that obviously it opens the question which is deeply intertwined.

19 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

This might be the most confusing thread ever.    The thread is anti-death penalty but the rest of us are not supposed to say that we're anti-death penalty?  🙇🏻‍♀️  What the heck does that even mean?  

2 minutes ago, pinball said:

Absolutely not.

I “jumped on someone” (no I didn’t) to forestall anyone thinking that this was a thread that was simply anti-firing squad and not anti-death penalty.

Anti-death penalty is the broad part, anti-firing squad falls under anti-death penalty for me. It is NOT an anti-firing squad but pro death penalty thread. And I wanted to stop ANY implication that it was.

I wanted to forestall any implication that this was an anti firing squad but pro death penalty thread

Just now, MercyA said:

I don't think AM is anti-death penalty, though?

I’m pretty sure you’re right about that.

I don’t usually comment on who I think a newer member used to be, but I have to say that I think the assumption being made here about pinball is wrong. 

It might, however, explain why several people always seem to be so quick to attack pinball in many different threads. I’m not saying that she’s a shrinking violet by any means, and I’m certainly not saying she doesn’t give as good as she gets or that she is never at fault, but if people are assuming she used to be a particular— and very polarizing— former boardie, that would explain a lot.

As for this thread, I’m glad pinball just came back to clarify what she meant it to be about. 

It is an interesting topic, and I’m hoping all of us will be able to leave personal grudges out of it.

• Like 4

Oh, and as to the firing squad, I'd take that over lethal injection or the electric chair, as long as it's a SWAT team member doing the shooting. My brother is friends with a SWAT team member and when some lunatic with a gun is shooting hostages the SWAT team sniper/sharp shooter shoots him right between the eyes because it causes instant death and makes the targeted person immediately open their hands, dropping their gun without firing off another round. One moment they're alive and in an instant they're dead.  No dragging it out, no pain registering, just dead.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I’m pretty sure you’re right about that.

I don’t usually comment on who I think a newer member used to be, but I have to say that I think the assumption being made here about pinball is wrong. 

It might, however, explain why several people always seem to be so quick to attack pinball in many different threads. I’m not saying that she’s a shrinking violet by any means, and I’m certainly not saying she doesn’t give as good as she gets or that she is never at fault, but if people are assuming she used to be a particular— and very polarizing— former boardie, that would explain a lot.

As for this thread, I’m glad pinball just came back to clarify what she meant it to be about. 

It is an interesting topic, and I’m hoping all of us will be able to leave personal grudges out of it.

Pinball is building up a reputation all his/her own. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

I am against the D.P. but if it is to be done, nitrogen gas poisoning is way less gruesome. You could do CO2, but some folks really panic, and it can take a long time. A gas chamber, one valium, and slowly turn the nitrogen up, is pretty painless and less panic causing, takes far less time than Co2 where if the person does not fall to sleep will feel very panicked and suffer a lot.

Not a fan of bringing back "the good ole days". If we are going to give the state the power to do it, then we should make them be as civilized about it as possible and especially when we have proof that numerous innocent individuals have been executed which is nothing more than state sanctioned wild west murder. Not a thing I am a fan of the state having the right to do, much less the right to torture the person before the end. We've seen how that plays out in other countries.

I really don't know what SC is thinking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pinball said:

Absolutely not.

Well, bibiche said, "no matter how it is carried out".  If what you say here is true, I think you misread Bibiche's statement. It happens.

I'm glad that there seems to be at least one thing most of us can agree on and that is that the death penalty should be abolished. Add in how political and injust the justice department can be and it makes it even more disgusting. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Pinball is building up a reputation all his/her own. 

True enough, Jean! 😁

But, good or bad, at least it’s a reputation she is making for herself, and not one that is based on possibly false assumptions about whom she used to be. 

I am terrible about figuring out who people are, when they change their usernames. There is one person who has changed her name several times, and I can always recognize her, but other than that one person, I am generally clueless. There have been so many “new” members who seem so familiar to me, yet I can never manage to identify them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

True enough, Jean! 😁

But, good or bad, at least it’s a reputation she is making for herself, and not one that is based on possibly false assumptions about whom she used to be. 

I am terrible about figuring out who people are, when they change their usernames. There is one person who has changed her name several times, and I can always recognize her, but other than that one person, I am generally clueless. There have been so many “new” members who seem so familiar to me, yet I can never manage to identify them.

I'm sure you remember the very false assumptions made about you when you first appeared on this forum due to your screen name.

Ouch! LOL.

Bill

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Wait, we get to dictate how people respond to topics we start, including extremely controversial or polarizing ones?  Why didn't someone tell me this sooner!?

In all of my topics require people to agree with me, tell me how great I am, refrain from using the words amazing and literally unless they're used in the original and strictest senses of the word, all chit chat is edited out, and people pm me for an address to send me chocolates. Oh, and they must use my official title: She Who Must Be Obeyed and close with Your Humble Servant.

Future topics will include but will not be limited to:

Abortion (obviously)
Universal Basic Income
Donald Trump
Pineapple on Pizza
Parenting Styles
Gun Control

Countdown to official locking of the thread starting......NOW!

SHOPPING CARTS

CUPCAKES

KILTS

BRAZILIAN WAX

DUGGARS

YES M'AM / SIR

EVOLUTION

CHEESE GRITS

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

10 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'm sure you remember the very false assumptions made about you when you first appeared on this forum due to your screen name.

Ouch! LOL.

Bill

It has been so many years that I don’t remember at all! 

But are you saying that people didn’t really believe I was Julie Newmar? 

Because I totally am. 😉 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It has been so many years that I don’t remember at all! 

But are you saying that people didn’t really believe I was Julie Newmar? 

Because I totally am. 😉 

Do you actually do not remember? I was traumatized for you.

We had a certain...shall we say..."polarizing" poster who had the Catwoman as her avatar. You came in just as she was working on becoming one of the few people who was ever permabanned from this forum.

You bore no resemblance to her (at all), but it did not stop the speculation.

Bill

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Do you actually do not remember? I was traumatized for you.

We had a certain...shall we say..."polarizing" poster who had the Catwoman as her avatar. You came in just as she was working on becoming one of the few people who was ever permabanned from this forum.

You bore no resemblance to her (at all), but it did not stop the speculation.

Bill

Oh my gosh! It has been so many years that I had totally forgotten about that!!! 

You have a good memory! 

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

Oh my gosh! It has been so many years that I had totally forgotten about that!!! 

You have a good memory! 

My memory isn't that good, but I felt very bad for you at the time and tried to stop the unfair comments that were being made, as it was quite obvious that you had zero in common with the forum's most notorious troll. You outlived it.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Pineapple on Pizza

You really do want to blow this thread up, don't you?

#teampineapple

11 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Someone had a problem with cheesy grits?! *noooooo!!*

I bet if we had a Venn diagram there'd be a huge overlap with those who don't like pineapple on pizza.

(. . . some people just don't know how wrong they are . . . 😉 )

• Like 3
  • Haha 10