Menu

South Carolinians...death by firing squad?

pinball

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

Then you interpreted it wrong.

i still don’t know what bibiche meant...she moved on to accusing me of being  a list of posters because I told bill to leave unless he could contribute to the topic.

LOL, still insisting that you were perfectly clear and that literally everyone else in this thread were the ones who got it wrong. You're seriously claiming that you don't understand how the sentence "The death penalty is barbaric, no matter how the state sanctioned murder is carried out" is anti-death-penalty? Like referring to it as "barbaric" and "state sanctioned murder" = someone who is in favor of the death penalty???

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

but we *all* interpreted it wrong. 

She said (bibiche, earlier, the first time you said  don't turn this into something it's not) that all forms of capital punishment are inhumane.  

Which you said for her to not say, at risk of turning this thread into something it wasn't. 

Which implied, to a whole dang lot of us, that what *you* wanted to talk about was *specifically* the firing squad issue, and not the death penalty as a whole. 

But then when people said "huh???" when you tried to clarify that, you just kept saying we were wrong and you were right, and all of us are the ones that misunderstood, not the one of you. 

So then a lot of us decided (or, at least, I did, and I see others saying that too) that it wasn't really going to be possible to talk calmly and logically with you, because we were so clearly misunderstanding one another, so there was no more point to keep trying. At least, that was me.  I won't pretend to know other people's motivations.

I said in my explanation...that it is about anti death penalty and anti firing squad. It was the 14th post 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

LOL, still insisting that you were perfectly clear and that literally everyone else in this thread were the ones who got it wrong. You're seriously claiming that you don't understand how the sentence "The death penalty is barbaric, no matter how the state sanctioned murder is carried out" is anti-death-penalty? Like referring to it as "barbaric" and "state sanctioned murder" = someone who is in favor of the death penalty???

I Literally said...thread was anti death penalty and anti electric chair...not pro death penalty and anti electric chair

I think it's kinda gross to mix up jokes about pizza with discussion on capital punishment, but I'm out of the loop on 'strategy', clearly. 

Thanks to the poster who explained why states might be turning to this. Are there any campaigns opposing the use of firing squad as an alternative to other, successfully disrupted methods? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Actually, it's quite upsetting to read the flippancy on this thread. If anyone knows of a campaign as above, could you please PM me details instead of posting here? Ty. 

I think I’m tapping out, too.

i asked for PMs myself so if I get any, I’ll pass them to you also, if you’d like.

• Thanks 1

For context, I live somewhere that does not have the death penalty. I'm sure there's a big discussion I'm not privy too that makes it ok to joke and talk about which capital punishment method you'd prefer, but absent whatever that is, it's just...ugh.. -if you're anti capital punishment, the introduction of a method designed to restart the killing process is a moral emergency, no matter who draws your attention to it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Classic revisionism. We are all able to read, you know.

What was your previous screen name?

Bill

I’m confused at the way this thread went as well, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to publicly call people out on changed screen names. We know there are a lot of reasons people sometimes need to do that, from jobs stalking them to ex spouses stalking them. As much as one might disagree with someone else, I don’t think it’s right to cross that line when someone may be trying to protect themself. 

• Like 3

I was here for the anti death penalty parts, but then I got confused by what we were and were not supposed to discuss.  Genuinely confused and also kind of freaked out by the hostility.  

Terabith<----- anti death penalty, pro cupcakes and kilts, agnostic about pineapple on pizza.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Ok, I'm calling it.  This is the craziest thread in the history of WTM.   Musings about food, interspersed with dialogue on lethal injection and firing squads.    

I don't eat raw eggs, btw.  Except in cookie dough and cake mix, because I like to live on the edge.  😉

Not to mention I can’t remember EVER going through a whole thread liking everything @Spy Car said except maybe about the superiority of steam cleaning.  

Hey Bill, if you can sterilize raw eggs, can you do the same to Romaine lettuce, and then chill it to retain the same texture as raw?  I really miss safe cesar salads. 

1 hour ago, Alice said:

Don’t you know anything can become an argument here? And I’ll leave with...

SHOES IN THE HOUSE 

Never.  You should be barefoot or wear house-only slippers.  Everyone knows that.

I don’t know why states with the death penalty don’t use carbon monoxide or fentanyl.  Easy to source, pain free. 

• Like 4

Just now, Katy said:

Not to mention I can’t remember EVER going through a whole thread liking everything @Spy Car said except maybe about the superiority of steam cleaning.  

Hey Bill, if you can sterilize raw eggs, can you do the same to Romaine lettuce, and then chill it to retain the same texture as raw?  I really miss safe cesar salads. 

I don't think the Romaine lettuce sous vide thing would work out. Sorry. 

The egg thing works. I'd missed real Caesar dressing.

Crud, I forgot to restock my big tin of anchovies. Might have a few left. Just managed to squeak through lockdown.

Bill

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pinball said:

Nope, it was not about capital punishment being OK but firing squads being wrong. That’s what I didn’t want it to turn into...anyone acting like I was only posting about firing squads being wrong while I support capital punishment

But no one thought that. And your continued insistence that we're saying that is part of what's giving this whole thread a 1984 vibe.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I was here for the anti death penalty parts, but then I got confused by what we were and were not supposed to discuss.  Genuinely confused and also kind of freaked out by the hostility.  

Terabith<----- anti death penalty, pro cupcakes and kilts, agnostic about pineapple on pizza.  

I understood it  as not wanting the thread to get bogged down in pro and anti death penalty arguments in favour of focusing on this specific. 

Like I said, I clearly out of the loop where it's decided to run some posters off, but to me it just feels like mean girl stuff. And the juxtaposition of pizza jokes and the possibility of fellow humans being shot to death by the state is upsetting to me. I am confused why this thread went down that path. I'd start a s/o refocusing on the specific issue but I don't think that would be popular. Maybe you or someone else could? I would like info about firing squads. I don't care about who is 'out' on the forums this week. 

1 minute ago, Melissa Louise said:

I understood it  as not wanting the thread to get bogged down in pro and anti death penalty arguments in favour of focusing on this specific. 

Like I said, I clearly out of the loop where it's decided to run some posters off, but to me it just feels like mean girl stuff. And the juxtaposition of pizza jokes and the possibility of fellow humans being shot to death by the state is upsetting to me. I am confused why this thread went down that path. I'd start a s/o refocusing on the specific issue but I don't think that would be popular. Maybe you or someone else could? I would like info about firing squads. I don't care about who is 'out' on the forums this week. 

I mean, death penalty is unjust and barbaric, but if we're already going with state sponsored murder, I'm not sure that firing squad is more inhumane than electric chair or lethal injection.  The nitrogen hood might be better, but I don't see states building or investing in something new that might be more humane when it really appears that for most of the population of the states where it's a big thing, cruelty is the point.

When I was six, the local mall had a bus outside of it about law enforcement, including a model electric chair.  My Brownie Girl Scout troop went on a field trip to it, where they both locked us in a model cell and had us all sit in the electric chair while the leaders took pictures.  I had nightmares for decades.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We had a Shakey's Pizza here when I was a kid. It's one of my earliest eating out memories.

Me, too, but I didn't realize it until I googled the chain and found out it was the one that played silent movies and had a player piano!!! So excited to finally know the name. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

I mean, death penalty is unjust and barbaric, but if we're already going with state sponsored murder, I'm not sure that firing squad is more inhumane than electric chair or lethal injection.  The nitrogen hood might be better, but I don't see states building or investing in something new that might be more humane when it really appears that for most of the population of the states where it's a big thing, cruelty is the point.

When I was six, the local mall had a bus outside of it about law enforcement, including a model electric chair.  My Brownie Girl Scout troop went on a field trip to it, where they both locked us in a model cell and had us all sit in the electric chair while the leaders took pictures.  I had nightmares for decades.  

That's horrible, Terabith. I'm sorry it was so normalised. 

I don't think it's that it's more inhumane that's the issue. I think that it's a workaround to enable states to restart or speed up executions that's the urgent issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

WTF???
This country is insane.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don’t know why states with the death penalty don’t use carbon monoxide or fentanyl.  Easy to source, pain free. 

I honestly think that politicians in some states don't want executions to be pain free, or at least don't care if it is. They are pissed that the problems with lethal injections have caused executions to be put on hold, because they think a prisoner writhing in pain or gasping for air is basically "getting what he deserves."  It's sick, but that's how some people think. In its zeal to execute as many prisoners as possible before leaving office, the previous administration changed the rules so the Feds could move prisoners from states where execution is not legal to states where it is, and they could use any means of execution legal in that state, including firing squads and the electric chair, not just lethal injection as was previously required. I hope the current administration is able to reverse that.  I would love to see it banned nationally, but I don't think that's ever going to happen (and its no surprise which states have it and which have either banned it or have a long term moratorium).

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My dad loved modern art and always dragged me along to galleries and art museums (which I enjoyed, generally speaking) but I remember Andy Warhol doing a series of electric chair panels and being surrounded by them. Gave me the heebie-jeebies (which I suppose was the intended reaction?).

Better than being strapped in a model chair, I'll grant you that.

Bill

2 hours ago, pinball said:

I stand by it. 

I wanted this thread to be taken seriously, and for it to stay on topic.

Oops. 

I'm sorry, pinball, I just picked up on the thread where I left off and didn't see this request. 😬

But you know this is usually how we roll, right? 

Again, sorry.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I honestly think that politicians in some states don't want executions to be pain free, or at least don't care if it is. They are pissed that the problems with lethal injections have caused executions to be put on hold, because they think a prisoner writhing in pain or gasping for air is basically "getting what he deserves."  It's sick, but that's how some people think. In its zeal to execute as many prisoners as possible before leaving office, the previous administration changed the rules so the Feds could move prisoners from states where execution is not legal to states where it is, and they could use any means of execution legal in that state, including firing squads and the electric chair, not just lethal injection as was previously required. I hope the current administration is able to reverse that.  I would love to see it banned nationally, but I don't think that's ever going to happen (and its no surprise which states have it and which have either banned it or have a long term moratorium).

I agree with you, but wanting to cause maximum pain makes them just as sadistic as the people they want to kill.  Frankly the death penalty seems like a waste of time & money to me.  Too many appeals, too many people who are proven not guilty using DNA.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I thought you were around during the Eisenhower administration.  You were six in 1984?  

No, I was six in 1964. When the Beatles invaded.

Not sure the year of the Warhol exhibition.

"1984" was a reference to another post in this thread.

Bill

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd argue that this is the post that derailed the thread.  If that's not a dare I don't know what is.

Yep.  Anyone with older brothers knows full well that was an in your face dare.  I have 3 older brothers.

2 hours ago, pinball said:

I told Bill to leave unless he could contribute to the topic.

Um, yeah, and that's why people are responding to you negatively. When bossy little sister (you) dares the older brothers (everyone else in the family of posters here at WTM) to fail to comply with her demands (people discussing the constellation of related issues to the original post)  the older brothers always take that dare (talk about everything related and unrelated to the original topic.) That's how human nature works. Most adults learned that in their home of origin and their K-12 years with their friends, siblings, and classmates. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

For context, I live somewhere that does not have the death penalty. I'm sure there's a big discussion I'm not privy too that makes it ok to joke and talk about which capital punishment method you'd prefer, but absent whatever that is, it's just...ugh.. -if you're anti capital punishment, the introduction of a method designed to restart the killing process is a moral emergency, no matter who draws your attention to it.

There is a certain amount of gallows humor involved, sure.

The only people who DON’T know the firing squad is already available for use in multiple states are either new to the issue or not from around here.

The method of execution is the least of our concerns. We’ve had 183 exonerations of death row inmates since 1973 and at least one posthumous release of exculpatory information. It doesn’t matter how these people are killed. The punishment itself is unfairly/indiscriminately applied and inhumane in all its forms as a result. We have a majority of the SCOTUS, however, that doesn’t believe actual innocence is a defense to execution either, only process concerns are worthy of consideration.

So, yes, you’re missing some critical information. The same states turning to these approaches are the same ones who restarted the death penalty as soon as they met the wholly inadequate (discriminatory jury qualification and sentencing guidelines) tests set forth in Furhman v. Georgia. The first person executed after the de facto ban was lifted died by firing squad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

The method of execution is the least of our concerns. We’ve had 183 exonerations of death row inmates since 1973 and at least one posthumous release of exculpatory information. It doesn’t matter how these people are killed. The punishment itself is unfairly/indiscriminately applied and inhumane in all its forms as a result.

Yep.  And there are people like me not opposed to the idea of the death penalty itself for a handful of heinous crimes, we're opposed to a system that is so fundamentally problematic that it should not include the death penalty.

That's not saying I think the prison system is humane.  There are powerful arguments to be made that death is better and more merciful than life in prison, so it's really complicated and an all around mess here in the US.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Yep.  Anyone with older brothers knows full well that was an in your face dare.  I have 3 older brothers.

Um, yeah, and that's why people are responding to you negatively. When bossy little sister (you) dares the older brothers (everyone else in the family of posters here at WTM) to fail to comply with her demands (people discussing the constellation of related issues to the original post)  the older brothers always take that dare (talk about everything related and unrelated to the original topic.) That's how human nature works. Most adults learned that in their home of origin and their K-12 years with their friends, siblings, and classmates. 

Among my very few life-discontents was that I never had a little sister.

Thanks for helping me get over that! :tongue:

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Singapore Math is one of the best things that ever happened to my daughter. And she is now only a year away from becoming a math teacher 🙂 

Oops. just realized the thread got back on topic somewhat before I posted. So my comment was really irrelevant by this point...

• Haha 1

Just now, wathe said:

1984 as in Orwell, I think.  Newspeak and Doublethink and all that.

Yeah, that makes total sense.  I'm having a heavily brain farty day.  I didn't sleep well and then my oldest woke up with hiccups that lasted for like FOUR HOURS and shook the entire house.  None of us slept much.  

• Like 1