Menu

South Carolinians...death by firing squad?

pinball

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have never had grits.  With cheese or without. 

Slinks away.  (To be fair, I've living in the Far East or North West.  Never South.) 

I'm not going to hold it against you since you've never had them.   But I am going to watch you closer and keep my eye on you.  🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Yep.  Pineapple on pizza is satanic.

It takes courage to say, but I am right there with you! I view all people who eat pineapple on pizza the same way Anne Burrell views her new recruits each season on Worst Cooks. Some of them just have NO potential! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Thank you to the people who were helpful and stayed within the spirit of my anti-death penalty thread.

If anyone has specific information about any S.C. organizations that address their death penalty, you can PM me if you are uncomfortable posting here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Oh. Well, I guess I misunderstood and thought it was for a broader conversation. Maybe you should put JAWM in the title. I also thought you were saying the firing squad was so much worse and that it shouldn't be an option if executions were taking place..

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

That's exactly how I read it, which was reinforced by the OP jumping on someone who said all executions are barbaric — that made it seem like the thread was definitely about death by firing squad being worse than lethal injection. 

Same here. 

In fact, between that and the replies to Bill, I deleted w/o posting a "wait, so, what exactly is the objection to the firing squad...??" question because it certainly seemed like the OP wanted the thread to be about the ills of the firing squad, and nothing else. 

I'm thoroughly perplexed now. 

• Like 3

So as it happens DH works for a federal capital habeas unit, ie he's an anti-death penalty lawyer. 

Anti-lethal injection litigation (and publicity) has been so successful that states are having a very hard time getting drugs, which has caused an unofficial moratorium in many states. The movement to bring back firing squads (it's happening in some other states as well) is generally because states want to restart executions.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Slinks away.  (To be fair, I've lived in the Far East or North West.  Never South.) 

We ate lots of grits/polenta during "lockdown." When I did my final shopping trip in March 2020 there was a limit of one (1) item on "grain" at Smart and Final, so I purchased a ginormous (industrial sized) bag of cornmeal. Good thing the family likes it.

Then on Saturday, my wife and I took out first outing together "post-liberation" and went to a very cool little store in Silverlake where they have a wide array of grains for those who wish to mill their own. I've got some durum wheat that I milled this morning rolled into dough that will be turned into pasta for tonight's meal. I also spied a bag of red/purple corn and--after asking the wife if more polenta/grits sounded good--I got some of that.

We had purple polenta last nice. I did top ot with some parmesan cheese.

I like polenta a lot. Same as "grits." Maybe ground a little finer, but the same in essence. You might try it. 

If you do decide to make some, ignore the standard advice to very slowly stir the cornmeal into boiling water (to avoid clumps). I did that (foolishly) for decades. So much better to mix the cornmeal with cold water 1:5 (for standard cornmeal) and then bring to a boil. This was a Covid discovery on my part. Game changing.

Bill

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Slinks away.  (To be fair, I've lived in the Far East or North West.  Never South.) 

There's no need to be ashamed. There are lots of wonderful foods most of us haven't had a chance to sample.

Pay no attention to those who don't like grits, cheesy or otherwise. Or who don't like pineapple on pizza. There's just no accounting for poor taste. I bet those sorts of people like hot dogs (I need the greensick emoji here 😉 ). 

Edited by Pawz4me
Grammar (sigh)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Grits (and polenta) are delicious. Purple polenta sounds intriguing....now I'm on the hunt for some. Thanks, Bill. 

Pineapple on pizza can be good if paired with the right other things. But then, so is banana. YUM. 

I've not had seaweed and raw egg on rice for breakfast.....I don't think I could get past the raw egg part. Maybe. But I can barely do runny fried egg, so probably not. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jrichstad said:

So as it happens DH works for a federal capital habeas unit, ie he's an anti-death penalty lawyer. 

Anti-lethal injection litigation (and publicity) has been so successful that states are having a very hard time getting drugs, which has caused an unofficial moratorium in many states. The movement to bring back firing squads (it's happening in some other states as well) is generally because states want to restart executions.  

Do you know if there is a timeline in place already for any particular state?

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Also, I really love pineapple on pizza. I am that person.

When I was a kid we had a local Shakey's pizza parlor and they made a "Hawaiian" pizza that had pineapple and Canadian bacon.

I'm sure such a combo would cause many to call that a crime against the culinary arts, but I always kinda liked it.

But I'd never admit that publically :tongue:

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, pinball said:

Do you know if there is a timeline in place already for any particular state?

No, I don't know any specifics. It depends on whether lethal injection litigation is successful at staying executions that are currently scheduled to go forward.

The ACLU does a lot of anti-death penalty work if you're looking for specific organizations, and in South Carolina specifically you might try contacting the Death Penalty Resource and Information Center.   

• Like 2

Just now, jrichstad said:

No, I don't know any specifics. It depends on whether lethal injection litigation is successful at staying executions that are currently scheduled to go forward.

The ACLU does a lot of anti-death penalty work if you're looking for specific organizations, and in South Carolina specifically you might try contacting the Death Penalty Resource and Information Center.   

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

When I was a kid we had a local Shakey's pizza parlor and they made a "Hawaiian" pizza that had pineapple and Canadian bacon.

I'm sure such a combo would cause many to call that a crime against the culinary arts, but I always kinda liked it.

But I'd never admit that publically :tongue:

Bill

Shakey's pizza was the only pizza you could get in Japan when I was growing up.  I have always liked "Hawaiian" pizza.

I don't want to go up to find your other quote on polenta.  I'm sure it's tasty.  I just can't eat it because of the carbs.  I can't eat my favorite rice anymore either.  😪

• Sad 4

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

13 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Also, for the record I'm anti-grits.  I don't discriminate between cheesy, plain, salty, or sweet. Eating grits is a sign of bad character. 

Come at me!

You both need to try Cajun Shrimp with Cheesy Grits and come back when you know what you're talking about.

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Now I'm just confused. Why chastise someone that the thread isn't about the death penalty being wrong if the thread is about the death penalty being wrong? I feel like I totally missed something.

Because, listen, I started this fire over HERE and it's YOUR responsibility to make sure it doesn't spread over THERE.  It's a very specific, not at all confusing, fire.

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Also, I really love pineapple on pizza. I am that person.

I actually like pineapple and pepperoni on a pizza. :: ducking ::

and anchovies :: hiding ::

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We had a Shakey's Pizza here when I was a kid. It's one of my earliest eating out memories.

The "South Carolina" in the thread title + discussion of grits is making me crave shrimp and grits. Now that's some good eating. Too bad I don't have any shrimp on hand. 😞 

I hate to bring up sous vide again (total lie), but if one sets a water bath to 135 and puts in eggs at temp for 80 minutes, one can have "raw" pasteurized eggs to go with one's breakfast seaweed or pasta carbonara or Caesar salad.

Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

We had a Shakey's Pizza here when I was a kid. It's one of my earliest eating out memories.

The "South Carolina" in the thread title + discussion of grits is making me crave shrimp and grits. Now that's some good eating. Too bad I don't have any shrimp on hand. 😞 

I've done shrimp and grits recipes with fish instead.  I LIKE shrimp, but when I do a cajun sauce it's spicy enough that it might as well be over fish and fish is a lot easier to prep.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Shakey's pizza was the only pizza you could get in Japan when I was growing up.  I have always liked "Hawaiian" pizza.

I don't want to go up to find your other quote on polenta.  I'm sure it's tasty.  I just can't eat it because of the carbs.  I can't eat my favorite rice anymore either.  😪

I'm sorry Jean. About the carbs, not Shakey's. I liked Shakey's.

Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

I hate to bring up sous vide again (total lie), but if one sets a water bath to 135 and puts in eggs at temp for 80 minutes, one can have "raw" pasteurized eggs to go with one's breakfast seaweed or pasta carbonara or Caesar salad.

Bill

...hmm. But what is the texture of said eggs? It's all a texture thing for me. (I eat raw cookie dough all the time, even though the raw eggs in it will kill me, so it's not that....)

• Like 1

I am really ignorant on the lethal injection issue other than I always hear there are problems with it. Somebody tell me why is it that we have human ways of ending life for those on death bed who are suffering and want to die, but we can’t get lethal injection right? Can opioids be used to overdose? What do they use for people suffering who want to end life? 

I am only anti death penalty because I have no faith in our legal system, and I think even one innocent person on a death row is one too many. Otherwise, there are some people in this world,  I would gladly shoot myself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Polenta is just bougie grits.  Prove me wrong.

Can't. They are essentially the same thing. Italians grind their cornmeal a little finer, but the difference is marginal and the results are delicious either way.

Bill

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The first time I had "polenta" I was like, da heck is happening here?!? Eye-talian food? WHAAAAA????

🤣

Here's a true story that probably still happens every day in the military.  In the Army chow halls they serve grits (or did 20 years ago; I'm old). In basic training, all of the soldiers who have never had grits assume it's cream of wheat and proceed to put sugar on it.  All of the soldiers who can pick a grit out of a line-up proceed to shame the offenders for crimes against grits. Hilarity ensues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

43 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

You really do want to blow this thread up, don't you?

#teampineapple

I bet if we had a Venn diagram there'd be a huge overlap with those who don't like pineapple on pizza.

(. . . some people just don't know how wrong they are . . . 😉 )

Two of the most important people in my life have opposite views on pineapple on pizza. One thinks it's a great idea, the other considers it anathema. For me, it depends on where the pizza is from, some places don't make the pineapple chunks small enough. Thankfully we all eat pizza peaceably together. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheReader said:

...hmm. But what is the texture of said eggs? It's all a texture thing for me. (I eat raw cookie dough all the time, even though the raw eggs in it will kill me, so it's not that....)

The texture of pasteurized "raw" eggs remains the same, it is just food safe.

Never tried it in cookie dough, but to bind Caesar salad dressing or making carbonara-style pasta sauces or homemade mayonnaise, etc., pasteurizing the eggs adds a layer of security.

Bill

• Thanks 1

I'm agnostic about pineapple on pizza.  I genuinely don't understand why it's a thing.  It's fine.  I like it better on pizza than pepperoni but not as well as spinach or mushrooms.  

Grits are okay (and I've lived most of my life in the South), but really, they should have shrimp with them.  Cheese is fine.  Grits are not the love of my life either.  

I'm on team return the shopping cart, though I didn't one time when a just out of diapers toddler had diarrhea.  

Singapore, although one child probably would have done better with Saxon and oldest would have much preferred Saxon, I think, but I never used it.  

I love seaweed but I don't do raw eggs.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, jrichstad said:

I found this site that is specific to SC and there was an old press release that mentioned the name you listed above.

https://justice360sc.org/#front-page-2

7 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I am really ignorant on the lethal injection issue other than I always hear there are problems with it. Somebody tell me why is it that we have human ways of ending life for those on death bed who are suffering and want to die, but we can’t get lethal injection right? Can opioids be used to overdose? What do they use for people suffering who want to end life? 

I am only anti death penalty because I have no faith in our legal system, and I think even one innocent person on a death row is one too many. Otherwise, there are some people in this world,  I would gladly shoot myself. 

Well, they could, and at least one state (maybe AZ?) has legalized the nitrous hood, which is supposed to be nearly painless. But 1. states often don't have a ton of interest in developing new protocols or keeping up with the latest research, 2. they have a very hard time finding medical professionals to participate (including pharmacies to supply the drugs--many simply won't sell drugs if they're to be used for an execution), 3. the role of the defendant's lawyer is to make it as hard as possible for the state to carry out the execution, so they're usually not offering a bunch of alternatives options. 

I am not trying to turn this into a debate--I would just point out that part of the problem with the death penalty as it's currently carried out is not just that sometimes an innocent person ends up on death row; it's also that the penalty is erratically applied, and in some parts of the country it's overwhelming race-based. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Also, @Spy Car, isn't sous vide a fast way of cooking....? I thought?  Is it really leaving the egg at temp for 80 minutes, or is that a typo....?

Sous vide isn't necessary "fast," rather it is precise.

A steak, chop, or fish fillet typically goes for an hour, but can go longer w/o becoming overcooked as the food never goes above the target temp. That makes it "relaxing" if a family member calls saying they will be late.

Big pieces of tough meat like a brisket can go 24 hours. I think the advantages disappear with such cuts vs other methods.

80 minutes on the eggs is being conservative to kill any salmonella (etc) that might come with raw eggs.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jrichstad said:

Well, they could, and at least one state (maybe AZ?) has legalized the nitrous hood, which is supposed to be nearly painless. But 1. states often don't have a ton of interest in developing new protocols or keeping up with the latest research, 2. they have a very hard time finding medical professionals to participate (including pharmacies to supply the drugs--many simply won't sell drugs if they're to be used for an execution), 3. the role of the defendant's lawyer is to make it as hard as possible for the state to carry out the execution, so they're usually not offering a bunch of alternatives options. 

I am not trying to turn this into a debate--I would just point out that part of the problem with the death penalty as it's currently carried out is not just that sometimes an innocent person ends up on death row; it's also that the penalty is erratically applied, and in some parts of the country it's overwhelming race-based. 

My objection to the death penalty has always been both cost and application. One is too high and the other is too uneven. When 7/10 state-sanctioned deaths occur in the same 10 states...it’s just not fair. That doesn’t even take into account the issues WRT defense, prosecutorial, and police misconduct that have led to the imprisonment of innocent people. https://documents.deathpenaltyinfo.org/pdf/FactSheet.pdf

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, TheReader said:

okay, thank you! I clearly do not pay close enough attention to all the cooking shows I watch, LOL! 

Foolproof is an accurate term. Especially when one establishes the internal temps one likes best for things like steaks, chops, and fish.

An hour (average) doesn't seem like a super long time to me, especially when all the "cooking" is unsupervised time, but it does take longer than frying, grilling, broiling, etc.

And one still needs to add a "char" at the end.

Bill

• Thanks 1