Menu

South Carolinians...death by firing squad?

pinball

26 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The first time I had "polenta" I was like, da heck is happening here?!? Eye-talian food? WHAAAAA????

This Italian-American loves grits but hates polenta. Polenta is just cornmeal mush. 🤮 Of course, it's also a Northern Italian dish and my family is from Southern Italy so...

• Like 4

Ok, I'm calling it.  This is the craziest thread in the history of WTM.   Musings about food, interspersed with dialogue on lethal injection and firing squads.    

I don't eat raw eggs, btw.  Except in cookie dough and cake mix, because I like to live on the edge.  😉

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

There's no need to be ashamed. There are lots of wonderful foods most of us haven't had a chance to sample.

Pay no attention to those who don't like grits, cheesy or otherwise. Or who don't like pineapple on pizza. There's just no accounting for poor taste. I bet those sorts of people like hot dogs (I need the greensick emoji here 😉 ). 

If I were on an island by myself with only a pack hotdogs to survive on, try as I may I would not be able to eat them without gagging. So I’d probably perish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Ok, I'm calling it.  This is the craziest thread in the history of WTM.   Musings about food, interspersed with dialogue on lethal injection and firing squads.    

I don't eat raw eggs, btw.  Except in cookie dough and cake mix, because I like to live on the edge.  😉

This was a thread on an important topic to me.

Bibiche and SpyCar ruined it, intentionally. 

I guess that is a good definition of crazy.

9 minutes ago, pinball said:

You ruined your own thread by being obnoxious.

Clue in.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

This thread topic is important, you are correct about that.  And I'm glad you posted about it!   You're right, the death penalty is awful and we all need to be aware of the SC ruling.  

But  be honest --you've been here before, had some sort of interaction with bibiche in the past, and reacted to her post that was clearly agreeing with what you believe.  Y'all are actually on the same page here, but you picked her post out of others to go after.    🤷🏼‍♀️   

• Like 8

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

This thread topic is important, you are correct about that.  And I'm glad you posted about it!   You're right, the death penalty is awful and we all need to be aware of the SC ruling.  

But  be honest --you've been here before, had some sort of interaction with bibiche in the past, and reacted to her post that was clearly agreeing with what you believe.  Y'all are actually on the same page here, but you picked her post out of others to go after.    🤷🏼‍♀️   

This. And that is why I was unwilling to take it seriously after that.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

According to this (and other probably better articles) raw eggs are safe to eat in Japan. https://japanjunky.com/is-it-safe-to-eat-raw-eggs-in-japan/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Peeking in to say I don’t remember that. How could cheese grits be turned into an argument? Lol.

Don’t you know anything can become an argument here? And I’ll leave with...

SHOES IN THE HOUSE 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Nope, you’re wrong. 

I reacted to her post bc of its contents.

13 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Right. You wanted everyone to take it seriously, especially after you posted the above? I remember that controversy.  It was long ago.

Yeah, I picked that to show what a farce this has become...but go ahead and twist it to your own purposes. 

it’s also in a poster’s signature line...something like “was here for sit or stand debate”

I have repeatedly found myself shocked when I'm reminded that the United States is still executing criminals. I don't know how I keep forgetting that detail. It's just such a strange thing for a first-world developed country to be doing! Capital punishment is something I associate with places like China and Saudi Arabia... and it's also right across the border from me. No wonder I put it out of my mind whenever I can.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I have repeatedly found myself shocked when I'm reminded that the United States is still executing criminals. I don't know how I keep forgetting that detail. It's just such a strange thing for a first-world developed country to be doing! Capital punishment is something I associate with places like China and Saudi Arabia... and it's also right across the border from me. No wonder I put it out of my mind whenever I can.

We are the sixth most bloodthirsty country on the planet when it comes to state executions. Again tho, most of those executions occur in a small part of the country.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Right. You wanted everyone to take it seriously, especially after you posted the above? I remember that controversy.  It was long ago.

My Pandemic PhD in cults has taught me that their is an actual preacher named Steve Anderson who teaches against this from the pulpit  . . . in real life . . . for REAL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Although obviously I was aware that executions still happen in some states (not mine), and that Trump executed more federal prisoners than any other president in the previous 120 years (13 executions in 6 months), I was not aware until today that some states were still using the electric chair, which seems like pretty much the most barbaric way possible of killing someone. Beheading would literally be more humane than that. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, pinball said:

Absolutely not.

it is a broad conversation 

I “jumped on someone” (no I didn’t) to forestall anyone thinking that this was a thread that was simply anti-firing squad and not anti-death penalty.

Anti-death penalty is the broad part, anti-firing squad falls under anti-death penalty for me. It is NOT an anti-firing squad but pro death penalty thread. And I wanted to stop ANY implication that it was.

You jumped on a member who has been here for years and is well-respected, even if I don't always agree with him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

You jumped on a member who has been here for years and is well-respected, even if I don't always agree with him.

But even before that, Pinball told Bibiche not to make the thread about something it wasn't. And the thing that it wasn't about was capital punishment being wrong. Then Pinball asserted that it was a serious thread... about how all capital punishment was wrong. Attacking Bill aside, I didn't know how to take it seriously after that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Wait, we get to dictate how people respond to topics we start, including extremely controversial or polarizing ones?  Why didn't someone tell me this sooner!?

In all of my topics require people to agree with me, tell me how great I am, refrain from using the words amazing and literally unless they're used in the original and strictest senses of the word, all chit chat is edited out, and people pm me for an address to send me chocolates. Oh, and they must use my official title: She Who Must Be Obeyed and close with Your Humble Servant.

Future topics will include but will not be limited to:

Abortion (obviously)
Universal Basic Income
Donald Trump
Pineapple on Pizza
Parenting Styles
Gun Control

Countdown to official locking of the thread starting......NOW!

I'm only playing if there is dessert... someone said there would be pastry. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

But even before that, Pinball told Bibiche not to make the thread about something it wasn't. And the thing that it wasn't about was capital punishment being wrong. Then Pinball asserted that it was a serious thread... about how all capital punishment was wrong. Attacking Bill aside, I didn't know how to take it seriously after that.

yes. That exact comment is what stopped me in my tracks from actually asking a question to try and engage, b/c I sure as heck am not wasting my online time risking getting yelled at for misunderstanding a thread topic. 

Much safer to play with the miscreants instead and chat about food stuff. At least then I will know why I'm getting yelled at. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

yes. That exact comment is what stopped me in my tracks from actually asking a question to try and engage, b/c I sure as heck am not wasting my online time risking getting yelled at for misunderstanding a thread topic. 

Much safer to play with the miscreants instead and chat about food stuff. At least then I will know why I'm getting yelled at. 

Sneezyone <———proud miscreant. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, pinball said:

Stop being hostile. That’s no way to have a decent conversation. 

this thread is anti-death penalty and in particular about looking for S.C. resources. It is NOT just anti-firing squad. I don’t want it twisted to imply that it is just anti-firing squad

I wanted to forestall any implication that this was an anti firing squad but pro death penalty thread

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Nope, it was not about capital punishment being OK but firing squads being wrong. That’s what I didn’t want it to turn into...anyone acting like I was only posting about firing squads being wrong while I support capital punishment

I “jumped on someone” (no I didn’t) to forestall anyone thinking that this was a thread that was simply anti-firing squad and not anti-death penalty.

Anti-death penalty is the broad part, anti-firing squad falls under anti-death penalty for me. It is NOT an anti-firing squad but pro death penalty thread. And I wanted to stop ANY implication that it was.

YOU are the one who created the impression it was specifically about firing squads and not anti-death penalty. The title of the thread is specifically about firing squads, the article you linked is about the use of firing squads and the electric chair, and you told someone who made an explicitly anti-death-penalty comment not to make the thread about that. Which nearly everyone interpreted as "let's not make this an anti-death-penalty thread."

And then instead of recognizing that you misunderstood Bibiche's post and did not communicate well, you've just doubled down on the idea that Bibiche's post really means the exact opposite of what she said and that people purposely "ruined" your thread by not sticking to the point you were trying to make which multiple people have told you was totally unclear. 

• Like 11

Just now, Corraleno said:

YOU are the one who created the impression it was specifically about firing squads and not anti-death penalty. The title of the thread is specifically about firing squads, the article you linked is about the use of firing squads and the electric chair, and you told someone who made an explicitly anti-death-penalty comment not to make the thread about that. Which nearly everyone interpreted as "let's not make this an anti-death-penalty thread."

And then instead of recognizing that you misunderstood Bibiche's post and did not communicate well, you've just doubled down on the idea that Bibiche's post really means the exact opposite of what she said and that people purposely "ruined" your thread by not sticking to the point you were trying to make which multiple people have told you was totally unclear. 

Then you interpreted it wrong.

i still don’t know what bibiche meant...she moved on to accusing me of being  a list of posters because I told bill to leave unless he could contribute to the topic.

Just now, pinball said:

i still don’t know what bibiche meant...she moved on to accusing me of being  a list of posters because I told bill to leave unless he could contribute to the topic.

Classic revisionism. We are all able to read, you know.

What was your previous screen name?

Bill

• Like 4

Just now, pinball said:

but we *all* interpreted it wrong. 

She said (bibiche, earlier, the first time you said  don't turn this into something it's not) that all forms of capital punishment are inhumane.  

Which you said for her to not say, at risk of turning this thread into something it wasn't. 

Which implied, to a whole dang lot of us, that what *you* wanted to talk about was *specifically* the firing squad issue, and not the death penalty as a whole. 

But then when people said "huh???" when you tried to clarify that, you just kept saying we were wrong and you were right, and all of us are the ones that misunderstood, not the one of you. 

So then a lot of us decided (or, at least, I did, and I see others saying that too) that it wasn't really going to be possible to talk calmly and logically with you, because we were so clearly misunderstanding one another, so there was no more point to keep trying. At least, that was me.  I won't pretend to know other people's motivations.

• Like 10