gardenmom5

what's the "hand thing" called  

151 members have voted

1. 1. what's the "hand thing" called

• paper, rock, scissors,
    • rock, paper, scissors,
    • scissors, paper, rock
    • other

I didn't know there was disagreement about what this is called until my niece posted something on her FB page.  It's getting rather heated - mostly from one or two people, but still . . . . 

So - give me a wider group to poll from with which to give me data to share.

If you're a lefty - would you please leave your response in the comments.   That's now been brought into it too . . .  

25 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

If you're a lefty - would you please leave your response in the comments.

My oldest dd is a lefty, and she calls it "rock, paper, scissors," as does my lefty ds.  My righty middle dd and I also call it "rock, paper, scissors".  None of us have heard it any other way.  Offhand I'd think family/friend/regional influence affects the name more than handedness.

Edited by forty-two

We lived somewhere that the kids had additional hand motions -- one of them was "snake."  It was still called rock, paper, scissors.  

One of the other ones was either "water" or "waterfall."  

There were extra ones and they beat different things, and one of them was like a "wild card" thing that could beat almost everything else, but you weren't supposed to do it very often.  Maybe it was "fire" or "fireworks," something like that.  

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

I have heard it differently in other languages though.

In Chinese we call 石头(rock), 剪刀(scissors),布(cloth)

In SE Asia, we called it scissors, paper, stone when saying in English regardless of left or right handed.

There is a quora thread on this

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-call-it-Paper-Rock-Scissors-Rock-Paper-Scissors-or-Roshambo

”Do you call it Paper Rock Scissors, Rock Paper Scissors, or Roshambo?”

• Like 1

By the way, one of the pleasures of my life is watching my identical twins play rock paper scissors against each other. I've seen them throw the same thing for round after round many times. Once they threw the same thing like twenty times in a row or something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

I have to wonder about the people insisting it's paper, rock, scissors . .  . . I had never heard it called that before.

I looked it up - it originated in Han Dynasty china.  translated to "rock paper scissors".

The first year we went to the Davidson Summit (summer gathering for families of kids who are profoundly gifted) I sat in awe watching my kid and four others play a very elaborate, suddenly changing version of RPS. It may have started out with Lizard and Spock, but it didn't end there. It was just so cool to watch my kid, who usually was the exception to the rule, with others who were all on the same wavelength. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have to wonder about the people insisting it's paper, rock, scissors . .  . . I had never heard it called that before.

I looked it up - it originated in Han Dynasty china.  translated to "rock paper scissors".

I think they must be trolling. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I think they must be trolling. 

except one is nieces's dh, and the other is her sgt.(? I think, sounded like someone from work.)
hm - other niece's dh says it that way too. 

I think it is a location specific idiosyncrasy.

Edited by gardenmom5

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I wonder if it's b/c that's alphabetical order....? 

And I wonder if there is another meaning to the acronym or something also that they are insinuating (maybe??)? 

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't think I've ever seen a poll be this unanimous before!! 

I had a previous poll that was, people were freaking out then too.

it was some woman on an ASD support board screeching about how offensive and derogatory the term "kidlet" was for special needs kids.  I don't remember what she was likening it too - but no one on the ASD board, or here, knew what she was talking about.

2 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I'm actually a little concerned about this unprecedented poll. How do we know that we won't open up some hole in the universe or something? Can I change my vote?

it's happened before.  it was fine.  The world didn't end.

Makes me think of The Mikado, and Koko:  I consulted the Attorney General, the Lord Chief Justice, the Master of the Rolls, the Judge Ordinary, and the Lord Chancellor. They're all of the same opinion. Never knew such unanimity on a point of law in my life!

• Like 2

Sorry I had to come and mess up your perfect score.  I grew up with scissors paper rock and that seems to be common enough in Australia that there’s a cafe and other things named that.  With the Rock Paper Scissors version turning up in TV shows etc it seems to be changing for the next generation.