Menu

How much is a buildable acre of land in you area?

mommyoffive

We have been home hunting for months.  Our real dream is to build on acreage.  We would love more than an acre. 

In our neck of the woods an acre of buildable land is 50,000 to 100,000.  Although if you get more than one acre it is cheaper.   We looked at a 6 acre plot last night for 98,000.  Our you can get a 2 acre lot by the lake for 33,000.  How does that make sense?

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

We have been home hunting for months.  Our real dream is to build on acreage.  We would love more than an acre. 

In our neck of the woods an acre of buildable land is 50,000 to 100,000.  Although if you get more than one acre it is cheaper.   We looked at a 6 acre plot last night for 98,000.  Our you can get a 2 acre lot by the lake for 33,000.  How does that make sense?

The lake lot might be prone to flooding? Round here you will pay as much or more for smaller blocks as quite big ones sometimes as people often want the lifestyle block but don’t want to have to manage the full farm.

• Like 1

Usually lake lots are premium here ~20 years ago when we looked it was an additional $10,000 for a regular house lot (~1/4 acre) on a lake. 

Looking locally at Zillow, I see prices ranging from $12,000 for a 9,099 sq ft lot to $320,000 for 32 acres to $180,000 for 12 acres. The price range covers in town to more rural areas. In our state, there are also tax breaks if you run cattle on your property (size, # of cattle minimums) or if you do something like a tree farm. 

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I would say 80,000-100,000 for an acre that's near any kind of city/community.  If you are looking for a larger farm lot and willing to be 30+ minutes from a city/community, I'm sure it would be less be acre but you'd have a bigger outlay because of buying more land.

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you put a septic on that 2 acre plot by the lake or is there something funky about the water table and they don't want to contaminate the lake?  My guess is there is something that will make building difficult on those cheaper per acre lots or there is less wanting to commute long distances in your area. Although, a larger lot is typically a little cheaper per acre especially if zoned so that you can't subdivide it.

Looks like approximately 1 acre lots range from 70k (if you want a bit of a commute) to 150k closer in for vacant land.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 3

100,000-150000 for an acre.  Their is a lot of range for lots in our area.  An acre seems to be by far the most in demand size.  You could go 20miniyea out of town and get 20acres for the same price. 

At one point our friend who is a builder was going to buy land and build a mini development for us and our friends because land was so much cheaper in bulk.  

Looking at Zillow, 1-2 acres go from 70,000 - 200,000 in this area with one outlier at 20,000. The lower ones are farmland type spaces, and the higher ones tended to be in subdivisions. Although that correlation isn't exact as there is one non-subdivision lot for 177,000 and the 20,000 lot is in a subdivision.  

Edit: there are no lots available in town. They are all in outlying subdivisions or in farmland throughout the county.

Edited by historically accurate

If you can find one, people do tear downs here . .  flat?  or hilly?

in 2017 someone on our street paid $845,000 for a tear down on a flat half acre.  They finally got started building last fall, and had to put things on hold because of covd, or they'd be done now.  Compare that to the tear down (they left the daylight basement so it is technically a "remodel".) on a half-acre of very steep slope that sold at the same time for $765,000.  (it has a potential view if they took out more trees.)  Those are just two on my own street.

eta: I looked up just unimproved land with a minimum of one acre.  The cheapest is $6.5M for 3.11 acres.  I know that plot, I've driven past it enough.  It's very unfriendly to development, very steep, and then there are the building restrictions and requirements.

Edited by gardenmom5

You can buy an acre in a gated community for under $10k here.  More choices closer to the 15k mark.  There does happen to be a lot available in my neighborhood for $5,000. Judging by the street it’s on, it probably needs a little extra engineering, but nothing out of the ordinary for the area. It’s not in a wetlands zone.

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

available utilities

buildability of the land, does it drain?  what's the soil composition?  does it flood?

7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

available utilities

buildability of the land, does it drain?  what's the soil composition?  does it flood?

The location is great.  No lake views but 1 block to the lake.  Forest in the back of the lot. On a culdesac with a few other nice houses already built. 

Not sure if it floods in really bad times.  But normal rain no .

10 minutes to the center of town. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

You can buy an acre in a gated community for under $10k here.  More choices closer to the 15k mark.  There does happen to be a lot available in my neighborhood for $5,000. Judging by the street it’s on, it probably needs a little extra engineering, but nothing out of the ordinary for the area. It’s not in a wetlands zone.

I want to move there!  Wow. 

I know used to you could find some rural places with land 2k an acre. Looking now I see some for $5k-$50k, varies wildly depending on where exactly it is located. Next county over is way cheaper (and less taxes).

Cheap land prices are great but our wages here are also lower, so it isn't like we're all living it up.

• Like 1

$400,000 would be a good price for an acre up here - it'd be snapped up in 5mins. No water, no sewage, but electricity and garbage truck. Internet hit and miss. If it had a house of any sort, 650,000 would be the minimum; one went recently for that and the house was only half built.

Edited to add - just realised you didn't mean it had to be one acre only. Another property had 30 acres, went for 900,000. In some ways less than an acre is more sought after, as less maintenance. Ten years ago, you could've got everything about half of those prices, but then everything has boomed since then. Our property is worth at least 3 times what we paid for it.

Edited by bookbard

A three-acre plot near me is offered at $725k, and there's a developer who wants to put a dozen townhouses on it.

About 15 minutes away, there's a 2-acre lot for $195k, but it's located suspiciously close to a creek, so I wouldn't even drive by without checking out the flooding issue.

Another one a bit of a farther drive from conveniences is $120k for one acre.

Very few empty lots around here if any. It's difficult to find quarter acre lots let alone one acre lots, however, recently a building was torn down across the street from where I live and the one acre lot sold for $1.5 million. It's right next to train tracks. The buyers put up a high rise.

Yeah it can be weird their are some cheaper acre lots in a reasonably good area.  Turns out only a .25 of the acre is irrigable.  So not sure what you would do with it most of the lot.  Everyone else must feel the same because they've been for sale for years.

Edited by rebcoola

There's a one acre in my zip code for $850K but that's in highly desirable exclusive community with lots of amenities. There's one for 3 acres that is $950K. Honestly, this is why people don't have large lots...It is very common to have high density neighborhood here with fairly small lots. Or even zero lot line properties.

Edited by calbear

In my area, the price is driven by the availability of being able to get a well drilled and how the soil percolates for a septic field.

Some years ago a friend and her husband bought land and THANKFULLY they put in a clause that they could back out if they couldn't get a good well. They drilled that property in six places, and never got much water. They got their money back. 

I inherited land in another state. It's completely unbuildable and the whole area has actually been fenced off and condemned. The attorney advised me to get liability insurance on it and then stop paying the taxes so it would revert to the state after five years. It can't be sold.

There was another piece of land that the same relative owned that seemed to be in the same category, but someone bought it. Apparently it's a big area for pot-growing, and they just bring in the water by truck. Go figure.