Menu

What are your plans for getting through this winter?

mommyoffive

Winter is always long and hard here.  But we usually break it up with a vacation or we are so busy with dance.  From October to April is usually cold and dark.

What are your plans for getting through it this year if you live somewhere that gets cold?

We will get outside as much as possible, but it still means spending a lot of time inside.   We converted our basement to a dance studio.  That helps all the kids take dance classes and get exercise  

Looking for more ideas on how to get through this winter. 

Yup, as my username suggests, I'm in a similar winter situation as you. Cold, dark, icy, snowy from Oct/Nov - Mar/Apr. I love outdoor activities like snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, skating and hiking in the winter. I also play a little indoor tennis so I can put on shorts and a t-shirt and pretend it's not winter. I hate treadmills and exercise machines, so I don't have those, but lots of people survive doing their exercise stuff indoors. We never take winter vacations, so it's not like we'll miss anything this year. 

In short, it will be a normal winter here, but better because no one has to commute to college or work! đŸ˜‰

• Like 2

I always break up the school year with a Jan/Feb unit study because no one can handle the slogging through the gray days of Feb. However, due to my DD being hospitalized through most of Sept, we are just now getting rolling with school. So I don't know if we will still do that. Any ideas for good unit studies for 8th-9th grade? 

No idea how we will keep our sanity, our house is not big (no unused spaces), so we'll be all up on top of each other. It will be nice not to have to run around town during snowy days.

• Like 2

I have zero ideas right now. đŸ˜•

We’re used to long, boring winters, but not as long and boring as this one’s about to be.  I don’t have any major problems entertaining myself, and my oldest daughter will be plenty busy on her own.  I need to figure out how to keep daughter #2 from getting too depressed and the younger boys from spending their lives on video games. I’m not opposed to extra video game time, but there’s gotta be a line!

I would do just about anything to have a basement right now, lol.

• Like 4

I hoping for LOTS of snow this year.  Since we aren't going many places snow needs to be a constant so we can play in it regularly. Also, my brother and his family is hopefully moving in across the street so the kids will be set with regular cousin fun and dh and I will have my brother and sil to play board games with regularly!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Yup, as my username suggests, I'm in a similar winter situation as you. Cold, dark, icy, snowy from Oct/Nov - Mar/Apr. I love outdoor activities like snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, skating and hiking in the winter. I also play a little indoor tennis so I can put on shorts and a t-shirt and pretend it's not winter. I hate treadmills and exercise machines, so I don't have those, but lots of people survive doing their exercise stuff indoors. We never take winter vacations, so it's not like we'll miss anything this year. 

In short, it will be a normal winter here, but better because no one has to commute to college or work! đŸ˜‰

Goodness, you get a real winter. 

All we get is nasty wet mud and dreary rainy days. As much as I DESPISE snow, the mud and the rain kind of poop on any kind of outdoor winter fun. 

• Like 3

Literally, this morning I was thinking I need to get a full-spectrum light. The dark is making me sad. It’s hard for me to get started on my day because it’s dark. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Quill said:

Literally, this morning I was thinking I need to get a full-spectrum light. The dark is making me sad. It’s hard for me to get started on my day because it’s dark. 

If you find some good ones let me know.   The dark really bothers me.  I have all the lights on the whole day.  Always looking for my light in my life during these months. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

We bought a fire pit and will continue distanced backyard socializing around a bonfire.

And lots of hiking, even in the cold. I already have my light lamp sitting here, but I do not think it does much

Do you live somewhere that gets really cold?  I haven't ever used a firepit in the winter and wondered how they really do or help.  Or the outside heaters everyone is getting. 

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you live somewhere that gets really cold?  I haven't ever used a firepit in the winter and wondered how they really do or help.  Or the outside heaters everyone is getting. 

Winters here can be long stretches between 20 and 40F, isolated days with 0F, nice days with 50s.

For years, we spent the new year's night under a rock shelter in the mountains. Sometimes it was 0F. believe me, a blazing fire makes all the difference.

• Like 4

The fire pit is great.  Stock up on blankets you aren't picky about if they get ash burns or get dragged on the ground.  Our tie fleece blankets get a lot of use for that.  

I don't have solid winter plans other than embracing the weather more than usual.  We're in the upper midwest.  My husband is doing some outdoor x-c ski training classes which is great.  Well spaced, small groups.  I am not buff enough for that but I may invest in cleated shoes and a walking stick. I have walked 95% of days outdoors since March and I feel great and I don't want to lose that.  

• Like 2

I think I'm going to get ski passes for the kids.  Our local mountain is offering a great deal for homeschoolers and I think it's a pretty safe activity (covid wise) since they are masked and covered and it's outside.  And people aren't likely to go skiing when they're not feeling great.  

• Like 3

Our winters are usually mild 20's and sunny.  Unfortunately their are very few activities and the locals thinks it's freezing. I don't know what we will do other than hike I love hiking in the cooler weather.  Most outdoor activities are over for the season mid-november.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Winter project! A unit study including PE, physics, archaeology, carpentry...

It looks like our local climb gmn is open for members only, so I'm wondering if that would be worthwhile. We don't have a mountain within 200 miles and don't get consistent snowfall, so skiing is a no go. I run through the winter, no problem, but the kids....

I am new where I am and I am having a hard time imagining what winters were like here pre-pandemic, never mind what to expect this winter. The daily highs are still very uncomfortable, but not fatal without shelter. Deserts are funny places; temperatures drop FAST. Supposedly December is the coldest month and about 16 nights a year fall below freezing. Okaaay. December is how many weeks away? It is odd to experience the darkening days with so much heat. I guess the winter solstice is what will drop December temperatures so fast.

My city is not an island unto itself. It will be affected by what happens in the rest of the country. How can I predict that? I am planning on shipping being a mess, and am not paying down my charge cards. I am not full-out nesting by credit either, because ... I am not sure things are going to be stable enough to warrant that. But some things, that are inexpensive or that make me more resilient, I am charging.

I need to get a new pair of sneakers. Or two pairs. I am walking so much that they wear out like tissue paper. I once read that running shoes are only designed to last 200 miles. It is too hot here for hiking boots. I need to budget several pairs of sneakers a year and that is just the way it is here.

I am replacing some used books that I lost in the move, when I find them for the prices that I can justify. Not too many, though, because the roaches will nest in them.

Cooking stuff, not so much. I am basically camping out in my kitchen. It is infested with roaches and just treat the kitchen like an outdoor space. 

Winter will be what it is. I will learn stuff. It will end eventually.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunter said:

I am new where I am and I am having a hard time imagining what winters were like here pre-pandemic, never mind what to expect this winter. The daily highs are still very uncomfortable, but not fatal without shelter. Deserts are funny places; temperatures drop FAST. Supposedly December is the coldest month and about 16 nights a year fall below freezing. Okaaay. December is how many weeks away? It is odd to experience the darkening days with so much heat. I guess the winter solstice is what will drop December temperatures so fast.

My city is not an island unto itself. It will be affected by what happens in the rest of the country. How can I predict that? I am planning on shipping being a mess, and am not paying down my charge cards. I am not full-out nesting by credit either, because ... I am not sure things are going to be stable enough to warrant that. But some things, that are inexpensive or that make me more resilient, I am charging.

I need to get a new pair of sneakers. Or two pairs. I am walking so much that they wear out like tissue paper. I once read that running shoes are only designed to last 200 miles. It is too hot here for hiking boots. I need to budget several pairs of sneakers a year and that is just the way it is here.

I am replacing some used books that I lost in the move, when I find them for the prices that I can justify. Not too many, though, because the roaches will nest in them.

Cooking stuff, not so much. I am basically camping out in my kitchen. It is infested with roaches and just treat the kitchen like an outdoor space. 

Winter will be what it is. I will learn stuff. It will end eventually.

I have found many running shoe companies sell their stuff on ebay at deeply discounted prices. Adidas is my go-to for athletic shoes and I've found brand new shoes greatly discounted on ebay. They've had buy one get one half off type sales before on ebay, and I buy several pairs at once when that happens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SusanC said:
2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Winter project! A unit study including PE, physics, archaeology, carpentry...

Lol!  We’d definitely have to put the focus on PE first, in order for any of us to be able to handle the kind of jackhammering this ground would need.  Builders generally advise people to budget for possible blasting if they want a basement around here!

• Haha 1

I am praying that my kids will be in school full time by then ... but who knows.

We really need to have organized sports - with coaches that are not Mom.  Based on current realities, I have hope that my kids can continue with the approximate level of sports activity they are doing now.  One rides horses, the other says she plans to go out for cheerleading (basketball games), and we all do taekwondo.

I should force my kids to do some things like shovel the snow if they don't have physical activities on a given day.

I plan to continue my daily walking in all weathers.  I managed to do it every day since March (which is still snowy here), so I think I should be able to keep it up.

As an introvert, I don't mind a solitary winter for myself.  I have my work (via internet), hobbies/interests, and plenty of household projects to keep me busy.

I do need to make some kind of plan to see my parents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

This is us. DH won’t have to commute so we’ll have more time to do the outdoorsy things we enjoy.

The only big change for us is that the high school won’t have an indoor track season, so DS will do Nordic skiing instead. He’s excited since he hasn’t had an opportunity to race since middle school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

One word: Hibernol

LOL!  The very first thought that popped into my mind about getting through the winter was alcohol.  Lots and lots of alcohol.  But it looks like the Hibernol would do nicely!

To actually answer the question, I'm considering setting myself some baking challenges this winter.   I've been essential this whole time of covid so haven't had all the free time to cook and bake, but I have been enjoying the Great British Baking Show on Netflix.  There are so many delicious baked goods out there that I've never eaten or made.  I think I'd like to remedy that and set aside some specific time each week to bake something new.   I should start planning for this now and lay in a nice array of baking supplies.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I have found many running shoe companies sell their stuff on ebay at deeply discounted prices. Adidas is my go-to for athletic shoes and I've found brand new shoes greatly discounted on ebay. They've had buy one get one half off type sales before on ebay, and I buy several pairs at once when that happens.

Is there a specific link that assures I am buying true Adidas and not some cheap knock-off?  How do I know they are the real thing?

I love winter----the snow (that we rarely get unfortunately) and the dark.   I am thoroughly jealous of those of you that get a proper winter.   Until this thread I really hadn't thought about it.  We are in school all winter so truly things won't really change for us.  We have been busy stocking up on books to be sure we have enough and a good variety for whatever reading we desire since I anticipate lockdown and possible violence (:sad:).   The other thing I have done is write down every single ingredient needed for all of our holiday food and have shopped for everything except fresh ingredients.   This seemed prudent given the instability of the US right now.  I made sure to get enough to replace anything used to keep our stock supplies as high as is reasonable (yet it still doesn't feel like enough).   I also made sure to order extra dog food, paper towels, tp, and meds.    Sorry if that kind of went off topic. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Joe's new balance outlet has women's shoes on sale for under 30 a lot.

Thanks for these tip! I know what size I wear in New Balance and will take my chances ordering online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Oh good grief! I have to do WINTER after seven months of isolation????? How’s that fair? Ugh. I don’t even know. 

Being somewhat isolated 7 months of the year is completely normal way up North (Canada) - it's called 'winter.'Â đŸ˜‰Â  I see my neighbours as they run inside from their vehicle after shopping, or run out to their remotely-started vehicle to go shopping or go to work. The guy an a tractor comes and shovels the neighbours' driveways and I wave hello. Or I say adieu to my snowbird neighbours as they head south for the winter. Personally, I get outdoors a lot in the winter, but if the snowbird don't go south it's going to be rough for them. 

The summer isolation was a treat. We could get outside and see our neighbours walking their dogs, pushing babies in strollers, playing in their outdoor pools and backyards. Winter isolation will be like a 'back to normal winter' rather than a shock. 

• Like 3

I’m planning on getting out daily to walk.

Dh had a fire going this morning in the fireplace. I just purchased some Olukai slippers. I need to drag my Happy Light out. I just took down the heavy blinds so we can get in as much daylight as possible. Otherwise it’s hygge 24/7–candles, hot soups + warm bread, books + painting + sewing in what little time I have outside of schooling + housework.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wintermom said:

There seems to be a lot of socializing in both US and Canada throughout this pandemic, so I don't know what you mean.  

You said isolation is a normal part of winter for you, so I was wondering what you mean by that and whether the weather/road conditions are such that people cannot visit. Where I live, winter used to be a prime time for indoor socializing and parties.

I know some people socialize uninhibited. I have been feeling the lack of socializing acutely, and my attempts to safely socialize outdoors, distanced, with small numbers, may soon be very difficult because of the weather conditions. Many of the things that made winter evenings fun are impossible. We'll sit in our own home and watch Netflix instead of having delicious meals with friends. Sigh. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

You said isolation is a normal part of winter for you, so I was wondering what you mean by that and whether the weather/road conditions are such that people cannot visit. Where I live, winter used to be a prime time for indoor socializing and parties.

I know some people socialize uninhibited. I have been feeling the lack of socializing acutely, and my attempts to safely socialize outdoors, distanced, with small numbers, may soon be very difficult because of the weather conditions. Many of the things that made winter evenings fun are impossible. We'll sit in our own home and watch Netflix instead of having delicious meals with friends. Sigh. 

It's isolating in exactly the ways I wrote; you don't see your neighbours much, even to say hello from the front yard. In normal winters the amount of social gatherings vary depending on individual preference, but certainly winter driving conditions plays a role. A lot of homeschool activities in my city shut down from January - March because no one wants to drive. We get a lot of freezing rain and snow. For me, most of my social gatherings happen outdoors with skiing, skating and snowshoeing. Many people stay indoors and watch a lot more TV throughout the long, dark evenings. So that will all probably be pretty much the same this year. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

There seems to be a lot of socializing in both US and Canada throughout this pandemic, so I don't know what you mean.  

Ugh. I’ve had almost zero socializing since March. I threw caution to the wind and had one fire pit gathering in my yard with 4 other people and I did a Ladies Night Hike with parks and rec on Saturday. I usually do something social at least 3 days a week. There’s so much activity I’m generally ready for a bit of a slow down around the holidays. This year, I was over the slow down about 3 months ago!

I still haven’t run out of projects around the house, so there’s that đŸ˜’ Ugh. My last kid just completed his 13th year of homeschooling. I was ready to seek employment out in the world! I feel like I’ve been grounded indefinitely. I only have a hermit’s heart for about two months during the winter. 

• Like 4

This pandemic is affecting different states, communities, ethnicities, subcultures, economic classes, occupations, ages, etc., very very very VERY differently. We are not all going through this together. We are dividing more than ever.

Today, when I went to get water, there was a woman lying on the curb and no one was paying her any mind. I was worried and went to go give her some money, but she did not even stir, never mind wake up, and when I got a better look at her, I realized she was too far gone to be helped by money. I have never seen anything like this in real life or even pictures of modern USA life. In my old city, someone long before me would have called an ambulance for her. Here, I knew that no one would come for her. I do not know if she will live the night, or if she is even still alive. She was as thin as someone in a concentration camp picture, and flies were crawling on her, and she was so very still.

I carried my water back to my roach-infested, bars-on-the-windows shelter and know how very very VERY lucky that I am. My life was not normal pre-pandemic, but this is hugely different. I don't like this! I am too grateful to allow myself to wallow, but I can only take so much. I am human. I feel stuff.

I know there are lucky people in pockets of safety and I am so glad they have that. But ... there are also people dying on sidewalks in THIS country, right now. There are people that have been forcible quarantined in tiny units in high-rise building and nursing home rooms for MONTHS for their "safety". And the most vulnerable are taking the brunt of this for the convenience of the strong.

No one has touched me for over 2 weeks and it was over a month before that one quick hug. I have only been touched once in 6 weeks. This sucks. Humans are not designed to tolerate this level of isolation. We are a social species. 

Edited by Hunter
  • Sad 15

11 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Our winters are relatively mild and an absolutely wonderful break from disgusting heat and humidity. I live for winter every year, and especially so this year.

You know I grew up there so I LOVE the hellacious summers and mild winters. Living up in New England makes me almost cry when it starts to get cold (like today). I'm flying down next week please G-d!

• Like 2

Winters here are usually pretty mild. I'm thinking we might do some geocaching this winter. Maybe dig out the telescope and look for stars at night. 

The basic plan is to continue on as we have for the last 7 months: work on some house projects, work on hobbies, schoolwork, play games, play with the pets. 

Truthfully, I'm kind of bored, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

I'm starting a university module for fun in January, so I've begun some background reading.  I'll still try to get out and walk unless the paths get too icy.  I keep threatening to get a rowing machine, but haven't done it yet.  I hope my wetsuit will get more use in the local reservoir (legal for swimming).  It is temperate here - my county is surrounded on three sides by bodies of water - so if snow falls, it doesn't usually lie for more than a week or so.

Edited by Laura Corin

23 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Our winters are relatively mild and an absolutely wonderful break from disgusting heat and humidity. I live for winter every year, and especially so this year.

Yes! I'm looking forward to pulling my jeans out of storage and choosing which coat I'll wear on whatever day is coat weather. Death to mosquitoes!

Too bad about cedar fever season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hunter said:

No one has touched me for over 2 weeks and it was over a month before that one quick hug. I have only been touched once in 6 weeks. This sucks. Humans are not designed to tolerate this level of isolation. We are a social species. 

I was thinking about this exact thing. My mil is a widow and I can't give her a hug. I don't know when the last time another person has touched her. She is well off, in a big house, and has 5 children who live within 5 min of her.  This pandemic effects everyone - to different degrees absolutely - but it does effect us all. I'm very sorry you are going through this. I'm sorry we are all going through this. I wish it could have been prevented. I am furious with WHO for their role in allowing it to spread way back when it was still localized. We may not know until years later how much fall-out there is from this around the world. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

Oh my goodness...where are you? That is what is so hard about all of this. I don't know how to help. I've contacted the food pantry in our town...crickets.  I've contacted a friend/acquaintance who is a vice-principal at a middle school to see what she/the community needed.  She told me it was hard. She couldn't think about it without crying. Then crickets. I've reached out again.  I am so completely isolated here. Don't have a clue how to SEE much less help those less fortunate in my own community.

I am helping to provide medical care in Honduras.  We've donated oxygen regulators and helped a hospital open up another ward where over 100 people can be treated. We've donated all of the PPE in our warehouse.  In the two different mountain rural communities, our Honduran friends are delivering food. People are finally allowed out once a week now instead of once a month.  I don't know how they are surviving.  Our pastor friends would have the husband deliver food one week, wife the next, son the next, etc.

I feel like I am making a difference in Honduras because we have contacts with people in the ground, in the midst of this. Here, at home, not so much.

So sorry for your experience. How can we help?

Distribution issues and scams are a real problem right now. The USA wins no awards for being able to distribute aid in a crisis. We couldn't handle Katrina and we cannot handle what has happened never mind what is coming. Keep doing what you are doing, if you trust your contacts.

Don't anyone worry about me. My hands are full, and I am feeling this, but something bigger than me has my back. I am growing and learning, and have peace about where I am, and wherever I will go next.

48 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I was thinking about this exact thing. My mil is a widow and I can't give her a hug. I don't know when the last time another person has touched her. She is well off, in a big house, and has 5 children who live within 5 min of her.  This pandemic effects everyone - to different degrees absolutely - but it does effect us all. I'm very sorry you are going through this. I'm sorry we are all going through this. I wish it could have been prevented. I am furious with WHO for their role in allowing it to spread way back when it was still localized. We may not know until years later how much fall-out there is from this around the world. 

I have lost my fury at anyone. A spark of anger will catch but die out quickly. Some stuff that has been festering in the USA is coming to head. We have the resources to navigate this pandemic comfortably, but we don't have the structures in place to use them efficiently, because of basic 7 Deadly Sins stuff. We were given a window this summer to work together, and we chose to divide further. The window is rapidly closing, and winter is setting in. My hope is gone that we are not going to suffer. 

One step at a time. Adapt as necessary. We cannot imagine what is coming. I hope it is nothing. I hope I am wrong. If given a choice, I hope I am mocked and laughed at next spring for predicting a bad winter. I feel like I am stuck in some Old Testament prophet book or the Egypt plagues,  especially when the smoke from the fires in California blew over the mountains and darkened our skies.

One step at a time. Adapt. Try not to lose my humanity. Remember something bigger than me is in charge. Breathe. Drink water. KISS (keep it simple stupid).

This is a Christian song, but contains some lyrics that cross all belief systems with a little tweaking.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/dannygokey/lovegodlovepeople.html

I've been running in circles
Jumping the hurdles
Getting caught in that rush of doing so much
I'm feeling kinda worn out

Gotta keep it real simple, keep it real simple
Bring everything right back to ground zero
'Cause it all comes down to this
Love God and love people (People)
We're living in a world that keeps breakin'
But if we want to find a way to change it
It all comes down to this
Love God and love people

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 3

Nobody touches me either, but that feels normal to me.  I do touch my kids, but other than that, and a few fake "professional" handshake type touches, I haven't been touched in probably 13+ years.  I guess I should be glad I don't have a strong need for that.

I think wintry weather reinforces the no touch situation, since our entire bodies are covered in layers whenever we meet people casually.  And our culture tends to reflect that - we don't touch acquaintances generally.

On the other hand, where I live, the approach of winter tends to bring out the generosity in most people.  Everyone seems to be engaged in multiple drives / initiatives in the hope that nobody is left out.