Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

3 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

The scary thing is that I was in that TJ's yesterday - no lack of food.

I was in TJ's in Acton yesterday, and things were only a little hairy, although tp was finally out (I've just been buying 1 every time I go to slowly add up, but they were never short till yesterday). This afternoon I was pondering going to the NH one and maybe get some wine, as somehow I totally forgot to stock up on that at all - but then thought the better of it... sounds like that was for the best...

• Sad 1

ABC news - Breaking: Victoria confirms first community transmission

Victoria has recorded its first case of community transmission of coronavirus, with health officials saying nine new cases have been confirmed.

The Department of Health And Human Servicessaid:

The new cases include six men and three women aged between 20-70. All cases are recovering at home in isolation. Of the nine new cases, seven have a history of international travel. Case interviews are still being completed with some cases.

One case has no history of travel or contact with a confirmed case – the first case of community transmission.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

ABC news - Breaking: Victoria confirms first community transmission

Victoria has recorded its first case of community transmission of coronavirus, with health officials saying nine new cases have been confirmed.

The Department of Health And Human Servicessaid:

The new cases include six men and three women aged between 20-70. All cases are recovering at home in isolation. Of the nine new cases, seven have a history of international travel. Case interviews are still being completed with some cases.

One case has no history of travel or contact with a confirmed case – the first case of community transmission.

Would that probably be Melbourne area or not revealed where in state?

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

I will be interested to see how the census is affected. It's supposed to be starting.

We got our census form in the mail today. Except, it was just a letter with a code asking us to go online to fill the real form out. ? I didn't realize it would be online.

All University of Al schools will be closing and going online.  So is Auburn.  My dh was at the Board meeting and they have cancelled all planeturium shows for the next month because the chairs are cloth and old, and place is impossible to clean.  If we have clearing ever, since we have been having lots and lots of rain, they may still do outdoor viewing events since they are outdoors and the telescopes can be cleaned and are regularly.  My classes have been cancelled for one month, at least- so I won't be missing out on those.

I found out more about dd's situation.  Doctor is concerned because she was at a wedding on Saturday right near the GA border with travelers, and also at a mega church on Sunday.  He knows she has bronchitis, and since she has taken the zithromax he has prescribed, her breathing is much better and she is feeling better.  He told her to quarantine both her and her brother, who is also sick but most likely with a virus, not her bacterial, too since there is no way to test here and they are 23 and 30 and likely to have lesser disease issues even if COVID19,  Other dd has flu.  Dh and I have nothing but we haven't seen any of them since I think last Wed,.  

I am urging my dh to have the retreat, which is supposed to happen in just over a month, be postponed to fall.  He is not the decision maker and really isn't supposed to be on the board anymore=his term ended in Dec. but there is a super ineffective board president and no election has been forthcoming.  He was going to resign after the retreat.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

We got our census form in the mail today. Except, it was just a letter with a code asking us to go online to fill the real form out. ? I didn't realize it would be online.

Aus tried to do an online option last time and it crashed spectacularly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So it looks like Italy are Looking at significant new measures.  I’m still trying to sort through them because of the language thing.  It looks like a break on all tax related stuff that’s not due right now.  Ability to requisition needed medical supplies even privately owned and possibly houses and hotels.  Nothing is through but Lombardy are asking to modify public transport and questioning why laundries are still allowed to be open.  (Feeling ridiculously privileged that I’d never even think of that).  Payments for carers of non self sufficient people.  Payments for people who have to be in quarantine.  Army possibly involved to deal with illegal gatherings and street vendors.  

Keep in mind I’m trying to figure out from non English source with google translate so may not have that 100 percent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So it looks like Italy are Looking at significant new measures.  I’m still trying to sort through them because of the language thing.  It looks like a break on all tax related stuff that’s not due right now.  Ability to requisition needed medical supplies even privately owned and possibly houses and hotels.  Nothing is through but Lombardy are asking to modify public transport and questioning why laundries are still allowed to be open.  (Feeling ridiculously privileged that I’d never even think of that).  Payments for carers of non self sufficient people.  Payments for people who have to be in quarantine.  Army possibly involved to deal with illegal gatherings and street vendors.  

Keep in mind I’m trying to figure out from non English source with google translate so may not have that 100 percent.

It seems like laundries would be a close to essential service when trying to keep things sanitary during an epidemic.  Maybe with staggered time use so it isn’t a group close proximity hang out.   ????

Have you a link? I don’t know Italian, but was once fluent in Portuguese and sometimes that let’s me glean a little from Written Italian . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

It seems like laundries would be a close to essential service when trying to keep things sanitary during an epidemic.  Maybe with staggered time use so it isn’t a group close proximity hang out.   ????

Have you a link? I don’t know Italian, but was once fluent in Portuguese and sometimes that let’s me glean a little from Written Italian . 

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_12/coronavirus-regioni-fare-piu-conte-resiste-pressing-f87d9b38-64ab-11ea-90f7-c3419f46e6a5.shtml

here’s one and another is on la repubblica. I’ll find it in the minute.

i imagine shared laundries would be a fair transmission risk with surface contamination etc though.  For individuals it’s fairly easy to hand wash if you have water but not so good for a family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Not only would people not like it, it's virtually impossible. There are ~15x as many people as Taiwan. We don't have a national health service; Medicaid is state by state, most people are insured through an employer, Medicare is federal for retirement-aged people, and some people have nothing at all. There's nobody tracking interstate travel. No two states necessarily even have the same information on birth certificates--comparing mine to DH's was quite shocking.

The US is very well organized for war. Everything else, we let the locals and/or the market take care of. It's amazingly ad-hoc. It's not run by any coherent planning at all.

I will be interested to see how the census is affected. It's supposed to be starting.

Yes good point. Much easier in a smaller geographical area and with central administration.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.corriere.it/politica/20_marzo_12/coronavirus-regioni-fare-piu-conte-resiste-pressing-f87d9b38-64ab-11ea-90f7-c3419f46e6a5.shtml

here’s one and another is on la repubblica. I’ll find it in the minute.

i imagine shared laundries would be a fair transmission risk with surface contamination etc though.  For individuals it’s fairly easy to hand wash if you have water but not so good for a family.

It was just the one sentence direct quote question, I guess. Maybe it will be answered in days to come as either laundries close or not.

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Can you get an earlier flight?  Even to Aus or something and then home?  

This. Or is Canada maybe still letting people fly through who have been in the US? Or is there someone he can stay with a few hours from Boston (or is that a visa problem now?)?

11 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I think it's worth looking at what is making isolation possible for people (like me) who are only a little sick, without which it becomes much more challenging:

• Working utilities (and in fact mild weather also helps) - electricity so we can keep food cold, cook, and run heat/air conditioning if needed, access the internet (making it possible for DH to work from home & for us to keep up with local information), running water to keep things clean - and the appliances to go with them.
  • Financial means to have bought some food and necessities ahead; DH's job being possible to do remotely vs. hands-on.
  • Services so far uninterrupted: trash pickup; Instacart and local produce box for groceries if you can pay the extra fees; postal and other delivery service.
  • No concerns about education/child care, as our missed events are not urgently important and in fact I already have the standardized test in the house to administer and mail back, completing our legal requirement.
  • No ongoing medical treatments like dialysis. Savings that would allow us to pay for medical care if incurred, although it could eat our retirement.

I'm wondering, for what percentage of the population are the stars aligned so helpfully? I would think few.

(ETA: That said, I would like to get better ASAP, and certainly not worse. I'm still online at this hour because I can't breathe well through my nose & I know I won't fall asleep soon. Prayers appreciated if you're so inclined.)

Prayers for you!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lewelma said:

MIT has just moved up the time line.  Everyone to be out by Sunday.  Rumor is the Boston airport is closing on Monday. 

Now it is time for me to panic! 

I'm so sorry, I can't imagine your stress level right now. DH is an airline pilot (though not for United 😞) and we haven't heard of any rumors of any airports being closed (and DH works out of DC). I'm hopeful for you that it's just what you said (a nasty rumor) and your DS will be able to fly as normal. Sending hugs!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

This. Or is Canada maybe still letting people fly through who have been in the US? Or is there someone he can stay with a few hours from Boston (or is that a visa problem now?)?

Could he possibly fly out of Kennedy? It seems unlikely that Kennedy airport would close down next week. 

Maybe the Boston airport rumor isn’t true?  Any way to get more info on that?

Are there other NZ students at MIT , Harvard etc also seeking to get home to help figure it out with? Or an MIT office to help?

• Like 1

Ok. Flights booked for tomorrow.  11pm right now and he hasn't started packing.  Holy cow. I *think* they said that he could leave his boxes in his room.  But at this point, I figure MIT will figure it out. We were told he should leave 4 hours at the airport to get through.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

Could he possibly fly out of Kennedy? It seems unlikely that Kennedy airport would close down next week. 

Maybe the Boston airport rumor isn’t true?  Any way to get more info on that?

Are there other NZ students at MIT , Harvard etc also seeking to get home to help figure it out with? Or an MIT office to help?

There are apparently 2 cases found on campus this morning.

I've contacted the other NZ/Aus parents.  They didn't know as it just came out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I think it's worth looking at what is making isolation possible for people (like me) who are only a little sick, without which it becomes much more challenging:

• Working utilities (and in fact mild weather also helps) - electricity so we can keep food cold, cook, and run heat/air conditioning if needed, access the internet (making it possible for DH to work from home & for us to keep up with local information), running water to keep things clean - and the appliances to go with them.
  • Financial means to have bought some food and other necessities ahead; DH's job being possible to do remotely vs. hands-on.
  • Services so far uninterrupted: trash pickup; Instacart and local produce box for groceries if you can pay the extra fees; postal and other delivery service.
  • No concerns about education/child care, as our missed events are not urgently important and in fact I already have the standardized test in the house to administer and mail back, completing our legal requirement.
  • No ongoing medical treatments like dialysis. Savings that would allow us to pay for medical care if incurred, although it could eat our retirement.

I'm wondering, for what percentage of the population are the stars aligned so helpfully? I would think few. And even for us, there may be a point when it becomes very difficult.

(ETA: That said, I would like to get better ASAP, and certainly not worse. I'm still online at this hour because I can't breathe well through my nose & I know I won't fall asleep soon. Prayers appreciated if you're so inclined.)

Sending prayers

• Thanks 1

In re clamoring for change :

OSAA said they were about to halt a lot:

“MEDIA RELEASE
OSAA CANCELS REMAINING WINTER STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
March 12, 2020 – (Wilsonville, OR)
The Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) has cancelled all remaining Winter State Championships. This includes the remaining Basketball (effective immediately) and Dance/Drill State Championships.
“As this unprecedented public health emergency continues to evolve, we believe that the responsibility to our member schools and communities regarding the health and safety of participants remains our highest priority,” said Peter Weber, OSAA Executive Director.
This news comes after the Pac‐12, along with other major collegiate conferences and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), canceled their men’s basketball tournament and all other sporting events until further notice due to COVID‐19.
The OSAA will continue to collaborate with Oregon’s public health authorities, including guidance from the Governor, OHA, and ODE in order to help slow the transmission of the coronavirus.
We are working with our ticketing partners to ensure those who purchased tickets for future sessions are reimbursed.
The OSAA will have updates soon about Spring activities and contests that are scheduled to begin next week”

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I think it's worth looking at what is making isolation possible for people (like me) who are only a little sick, without which it becomes much more challenging

Get well soon 🍀

Some neighbors are clamoring for schools to close. A board member replied

“There are several Title 1 schools in the district where many students depend on receiving free breakfast and lunch.  In many cases, they are the only meals the students get each day.  There is much more to consider.  Impacts to parents that need to work and may not have back-up daycare, etc.”

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Man learns he tested positive for COVID-19 mid-flight from NY to Palm Beach, FL

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/coronavirus-jetblue-new-york-florida.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

What the what??!!  Why did he even get on a flight knowing he was being tested.?   This boggles my mind.  

Me too.  It’s not like it’s easy to get tested without there being a significant suspicion of having it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Odd to me that 3 Aussie offered testing refused. While otoh many people who want to be tested aren’t allowed to be.  .

I wonder if they didn't want to pay for it or the other costs potentially related to it. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Only 8 new cases in Mainland China today 

They cover up. One person who reported a new case got fired. If you report new cases, you lose your job. That shuts people up. 

60% of the deaths happened in their own homes before being tested and they are not included in the Wuhan virus caused death number. 

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

@gardenmom5 @prairiewindmomma @square_25 and others who may be interested

In re communication with government entities —

After seeing current update on Oregon sports and activities, I wrote to them pretty much as follows with personal info removed—I didn’t take time to carefully draft a super letter, I thought getting it to them quickly was more important. 

I am writing to urge you to suspend all spring OSAA events.  

OSAA activities rapidly take kids from their own communities far and wide across state, which is great when there is no pandemic to see different places from the ocean in the west to the Cascade mountains to deserts on the other side. 

But during a pandemic it will add to moving virus around quickly. And even if the kids might not tend to get bad cases, adults they meet, live with, are coached by, or learn from very well may get serious or critical illnesses. 

Slowing down the speed of transmission, “flattening the curve” is very important. 

Thank you for consideration and for all your hard work to make activities possible for our kids.  However, Spring 2020, I think needs to be a time for proactively cancelling the programs. 

Thank you again,

Name 

School district name, parent and area resident

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Man learns he tested positive for COVID-19 mid-flight from NY to Palm Beach, FL

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/us/coronavirus-jetblue-new-york-florida.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

What the what??!!  Why did he even get on a flight knowing he was being tested.?   This boggles my mind.  

Because people are selfish and obstinate. Because they are in denial and think everything is fine and this is all a lot of hysteria, and if they just keep acting like nothing is wrong then that will make it magically true. 

4H cancelled a few livestock shows around here, so what are people doing? Are they staying home and saying "Well, that's unfortunate. Better safe than sorry"? NO.  They are organizing their own livestock shows to run independently this weekend and next. Everyone has a "You can't tell us what to do!" attitude around here. 

School? Not cancelled. Libary? Open and has several large events planned!  Homeschool co-ops? Hosting large open house events! What could go wrong!

• Sad 6

8 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

They cover up. One person who reported a new case got fired. If you report new cases, you lose your job. That shuts people up. 

60% of the deaths happened in their own homes before being tested and they are not included in the Wuhan virus caused death number. 

I think there’s some level of that.  The. Bbc and abc journalist I follow say they don’t think specific numbers are accurate but general trends are because hospitals are emptying out and being close down

17+ hour day, so I am headed to bed in a minute, but just an update to say that, in good news, I passed my lab test to allow me to head to our next round of clinicals, but, unfortunately, our sponsor hospital's legal department finally wisened up to the fact that having students around during a pandemic is probably a major liability risk (duh!), so they have decided to kick out all students for now. So, IMO, it is doubtful that I will actually start my clinical rotations as planned in 11 days. The school is consulting with the CA Board of Nursing to figure out how to proceed since we are obviously not the only nursing school affected. (I read about this happening at some other schools in the last day or so, and figured it was likely for us as well for liability reasons.)  But seriously, you know things are bad when you're not worried about students getting HIV, Tuberculosis, and Meningitis exposure, but you send them packing for this, especially when you could probably really use the extra help. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@Arcadia Sprouts? seems to have a lot of food left! (I have been looking at pictures of empty TJ's shelves from the east coast and panicked and had a moment when I wanted to rush to the 24 hour safeway to stock up more food and then remembered that I have plenty already 😉

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

@Arcadia Sprouts? seems to have a lot of food left! (I have been looking at pictures of empty TJ's shelves from the east coast and panicked and had a moment when I wanted to rush to the 24 hour safeway to stock up more food and then remembered that I have plenty already 😉

Safeway 🙂 

Local produces come from Brentwood, Watsonville, Hollister, Gilroy, Monterey ... so I’m not too worried. Mushrooms were mostly sold out though which was unusual.

• Thanks 1

So, the rumors are that all of Boston will be in lockdown by Monday.  All students at MIT are trying to at least get out of the city, even if they can't get to their final destination for a couple of days. MIT is now giving each student $500 to get out, and will take care of storage so just leave your boxes in your room.  There is a LOT of stress on the campus.  Harvard had already said Sunday as move out date, so it is only MIT that is scrambling as they initially said Tuesday. The NZ/Australia contingent is sorted, most exiting tomorrow and 1 kid on Sunday midday.

When ds gets home, we will put him in self-isolation for 2 weeks. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 11