Menu

Class of 2020 College Acceptances

whitestavern

I didn't see a thread for our graduating seniors, so I'm starting one 🙂

S submitted apps to 11 schools over the past two weeks; some are rolling admission, so we're hoping to start hearing soon! It would be really nice if the first one to come in was an acceptance, even if it's not one of his top choices.

Please share any acceptances your kids have received!!

• Like 19

Eh, dd17 was already accepted into college, but it's not going to sound as spectacular as everyone else's.

My senior is graduating early - in a couple of weeks -and is starting at the community college in January.  We already went through the whole process.  Application...she did her placement tests at the college (which she scored so high that she only has to take one math class for her Bachelor's and she's taking it in January)....we did all the advising appointments, the New Student Group Advising...she registered for all her classes....  I'm going to start buying her textbooks this weekend.  Next week sometime, we're going to walk around campus and find all of her classes.  She gets lost every time she goes on campus for something.

The only thing we have left is to pay the bill.  We have another month to pay it and the college has a payment plan - we're not taking out student loans.

Her first semester classes are: English 1, US History 1, Statistics, Art, and Kinesiology.  She's VERY excited.  The campus is only 10 miles away, so she can keep doing all the stuff she normally does (volunteer work, etc) and live at home.

• Like 49

My dd17 applied to 6 universities; 4 back in August and 2 last month. She was accepted to University of North Florida with a merit scholarship, University of South Florida (fingers crossed for a merit scholarship; she will hear mid-November), and Texas A&M (academic admit for out-of-state). Thankfully, dd qualifies for the Bright Futures scholarship here in Florida, so tuition at in-state u's is 100% free with that. We have to wait on 3 other universities which typically don't send out acceptances until January or February. It's so nice to have acceptances from rolling admission schools, as well as one that had Early Action. When one of our acquaintances found out my dd got into UNF and USF (this was before the TAMU admit), he was floored. It was obvious he had a misconception about homeschooling. 😉 Let's hear it for homeschooling!

• Like 39

My daughter was accepted to Boise State University with a Dean's Scholarship, she plans on attending BSU.  I was amazed how early we found out with rolling admissions!  She applied as soon as she could, the first week of August, and she heard back the first week of September. 

She currently plans to major in Illustration with a minor in Psychology.  They have a degree tracker where you can see what courses you have to take for different majors and/or minors, she is having fun playing around with it.  I told her that back in the old days you had to see an actual person to do that and they would take out little charts and write it out on paper for you...

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 36

PonyGirl -- Virginia Wesleyan (Swimming, Honors College, Academic Scholarship); Liberty University (Honors College, Academic Scholarship -- Swimming TBD)  Two down, 5 more to complete (we should hear from VMI and have an idea about the two Service Academies next... and Ivies are all RD, so awhile to wait there).

• Like 30

Dd applied to one school and was accepted - UT Dallas.  She is NMSF and hoping to advance to finalist.  UT Dallas is 1200 miles away and she's my youngest and only one at home so this is going to be a big adjustment for us!  I never thought she'd go so far away (she's an introvert with social anxiety) but we visited campus and she's happy with her decision.  Fingers crossed that she doesn't change her mind.  

• Like 31

DS got into Carthage for both Econ & MusicTheatre and an invite to the 'honors program'.  He's in the running for a president's scholarship, but automatic merit scholarship and other things makes most of tuition already covered. This is his backup school, so he'll get to go someplace!  🙂

CMU MusicTheatre declined him an audition.  he was sad. He didn't think he'd make it in, but thought he'd at least get to the onsite audition. 😞

still waiting to hear from several others.

• Like 27

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest was accepted at Texas State University a couple of days ago. It is her top choice, but we are still waiting to hear from several other schools and see what each offers in the way of financial aid. 

She is still working on voice auditions, because singing in a choir is very important to her. Beyond having her major available, a high-quality audition-only choir was the top factor in selecting the schools she applied to.

• Like 29

DD17 has heard back from two schools so far! Update: four!

Utah State University (my alma mater)- Dean's Scholarship, honors program

University of South Carolina- Capstone Scholars, merit award

Clemson University- merit scholarship

Mount Holyoke College- amazing financial aid package

Waitlisted: Macalaster, Grinnell, Reed, Wellesley 

Edited by NotSoObvious
  • Like 26

On 11/6/2019 at 8:35 AM, Evanthe said:

Eh, dd17 was already accepted into college, but it's not going to sound as spectacular as everyone else's.

My senior is graduating early - in a couple of weeks -and is starting at the community college in January.  We already went through the whole process.  Application...she did her placement tests at the college (which she scored so high that she only has to take one math class for her Bachelor's and she's taking it in January)....we did all the advising appointments, the New Student Group Advising...she registered for all her classes....  I'm going to start buying her textbooks this weekend.  Next week sometime, we're going to walk around campus and find all of her classes.  She gets lost every time she goes on campus for something.

The only thing we have left is to pay the bill.  We have another month to pay it and the college has a payment plan - we're not taking out student loans.

Her first semester classes are: English 1, US History 1, Statistics, Art, and Kinesiology.  She's VERY excited.  The campus is only 10 miles away, so she can keep doing all the stuff she normally does (volunteer work, etc) and live at home.

That's fantastic.  Congratulations to your daughter.  It sounds like she has a great next step planned.  That is always reason to be excited.  I hope she finds a nice group of classmates and enjoys her classes.

• Like 7

On 11/7/2019 at 2:47 AM, ElizabethB said:

My daughter was accepted to Boise State University with a Dean's Scholarship, she plans on attending BSU.  I was amazed how early we found out with rolling admissions!  She applied as soon as she could, the first week of August, and she heard back the first week of September. 

She currently plans to major in Illustration with a minor in Psychology.  They have a degree tracker where you can see what courses you have to take for different majors and/or minors, she is having fun playing around with it.  I told her that back in the old days you had to see an actual person to do that and they would take out little charts and write it out on paper for you...

A friend has both of her daughters at Boise State.  They really like the school and she is a huge fan of the school and the area.  Best of luck to your daughter.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

A friend has both of her daughters at Boise State.  They really like the school and she is a huge fan of the school and the area.  Best of luck to your daughter.

Thanks!

They have recently put a lot of money into the school, the library is amazing for a school of the size, and there are great new labs in the engineering department, a new fine arts building.  They also have a nice linguistics lab.  Interestingly, they paid thousands of dollars for a specialized phonetics program but use the free Praat program instead because it's better, I have some Praat speech files about 1/2 of the way down my dyslexia page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/dyslexia.html

The software is clunky but it is very powerful.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, MysteryJen said:

Congrats to everyone!

My dd2 was homeschooled through 8th grade, ps for high school. She is going to New Mexico State- signed a NLI to swim there and received her admission packet in the same week.

That is awesome that she found her place! I think my soon-to-graduate college senior will be moving to NM to work next year.

• Like 5

My DD applied to 6 schools. So far, she has heard back from the two small liberal arts colleges, and none of the larger state universities. She will be graduating high school in May with an Associates of Science from our local community college. 

So far, she's been accepted to Coe College (with a Trustee scholarship) and Monmouth College (with a merit scholarship and a chance to apply/interview for a full scholarship later). Between the two, Monmouth is higher up the list, which I like because they came back costing us less money. Monmouth also doesn't have book fees; they're included in tuition - so that's a further plus for them. Waiting on UW Madison, U of Illinois, U of Alabama - Huntsville and Stevens Institute of Tech. She says U of I is her first choice. 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, beckyjo said:

So far, she's been accepted to Coe College (with a Trustee scholarship) and Monmouth College (with a merit scholarship and a chance to apply/interview for a full scholarship later). . . Waiting on UW Madison, U of Illinois, U of Alabama - Huntsville and Stevens Institute of Tech. She says U of I is her first choice. 

Kinda shocked UAH hasn't gotten back to her yet. I think it only took a week to hear from them. It was fast.

DD got in at Coe & was called at least once a week for months by the admissions person there plus emails all the time. She wasn't ever a fan of it, but hated the attention. They were her first, "No." The constant contact probably works for 65% of the other kids though... 

Good luck to her!

• Like 5

Dd only applied to one school and was accepted as a transfer due to her dual enrollment credits. She is graduating this month to do a 6 month tour as a musician for a major production and will begin at University of North Carolina Wilmington in the fall. All her DE credits will transfer and they have an online International Studies degree so she can complete college (studying something that interests her) and continue touring as a musician. Seems to be the perfect option for her at the moment.

• Like 29

On 12/2/2019 at 5:21 AM, Donna said:

Dd only applied to one school and was accepted as a transfer due to her dual enrollment credits. She is graduating this month to do a 6 month tour as a musician for a major production and will begin at University of North Carolina Wilmington in the fall. All her DE credits will transfer and they have an online International Studies degree so she can complete college (studying something that interests her) and continue touring as a musician. Seems to be the perfect option for her at the moment.

I clicked on her website! Super amazing!! sounds like she is really awesome, and so glad for you that she is going to be able to do college and tour!

• Like 6

On 11/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Kassia said:

Dd applied to one school and was accepted - UT Dallas.  She is NMSF and hoping to advance to finalist.  UT Dallas is 1200 miles away and she's my youngest and only one at home so this is going to be a big adjustment for us!  I never thought she'd go so far away (she's an introvert with social anxiety) but we visited campus and she's happy with her decision.  Fingers crossed that she doesn't change her mind.  

We've been to the UT Dallas a few times campus for an annual competition and I was surprised how nice it was! Seemed like a very active/involved student body with a lot going on on campus when we were there, which also surprised me (for some reason, I have no idea what I had been expecting!). Congrats to your dd!!

On 11/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, RootAnn said:

Kinda shocked UAH hasn't gotten back to her yet. I think it only took a week to hear from them. It was fast.

DD got in at Coe & was called at least once a week for months by the admissions person there plus emails all the time. She wasn't ever a fan of it, but hated the attention. They were her first, "No." The constant contact probably works for 65% of the other kids though... 

Good luck to her!

I'd be like your DD too. Actually I signed up for emails/texts from two politicians that I really LIKE and within a few weeks, I was hating them both. DD told me to unsubscribe - I did - and I'm getting along with said politicians much better now that we've separated. 😂

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

DD finished her apps on 12/1.

Original Plan: 5 schools that she felt SURE of

What Actually Happened: TWELVE schools 🤣

The reasons were solid ones. Because music scholarships are 100% unpredictable, she applied to three schools where, if she were to go, she would not be a music major. Each of those schools, however, has a professor/teacher/program nearby where she could continue her music instruction and continue teaching and each has a guaranteed, substantial academic scholarship in place. One school has a weak program in her instrument, BUT the professor would give her a very specialized instruction, so she applied "just in case." Then 7 schools with programs of varying degrees of positive interest from her (from VERY interested to ... "we'll see what kind of scholarship they offer"). And, the last add-on, the CSS Profile school with the professor who contacted her and encouraged her to apply.

She feels she'd be Very Happy at 10/12 of those schools - and would be not-quite-as-excited-but-still-fine-with-it for the other 2, so I'll call that a win.

She has one week left for several honors/scholarship essay applications. She is 100% DONE with essays, but at least 3 of them aren't even started yet (and there are still others that aren't due until March... so it's never-ending), so...

Auditions are in full-swing from late January through mid-March and then we shall wait and see. It's overwhelming - both mentally and financially (adding up those audition trips!!) - but she has a chance of earning a substantial music scholarship, so we'll plow through and hope it pays off in the end. 🏆 And I'm happy that she'll have no regrets as far as where she applied (by restricting her list). So far, she's very happy to have taken a gap year so she can focus on all of this without having to juggle high school studies as well. DS (next year) will not be so lucky.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 12

I'm tentatively posting this here. I am in talks with my current university about continuing on to the PhD program. My advisor approached me about it last month and I've been excited and anxious ever since. There are lots of hoops to jump through and most of them are going smoothly, money will be the biggest thing. They're willing to use all my MA credits for the PhD coursework, so it will only mean 1 more year away from home  - home being about an hour away. Then I could do comps and write the dissertation while back home. My family is supportive, although they think I'm weird for even considering it.

I still need to meet with the PhD coordinator and talk details, but I may end up studying for my PhD in history focusing on a cultural study of Medieval English forests. :ohmy: 

• Like 37

DD17 has applied to one school and has been accepted. She is happy with the idea of going there and thinks she will not apply anywhere else. This is fine with us, because we think it's a good fit and is reasonable financially. She received some automatic aid based on test scores and GPA, which is both very helpful and also a surprise, because she is not a great test taker. She applied to this school, because of family connections. Her aunts and uncle are alums; two cousins are current students; and her aunt works there. She loved the people that she met when she visited, including her cousin's welcoming friends and the head of her intended academic department (exercise science). It's a smallish private Christian college (she attends a small Christian high school) about two hours from our house and about twenty minutes from her grandparents and other relatives.

I'm glad she's happy and that we can focus on her last semester of high school, with the college decision finalized. She did apply for a scholarship through her work (Chick-fil-A), which we are waiting to hear about.

• Like 23

On 12/7/2019 at 1:35 AM, easypeasy said:

DD finished her apps on 12/1.

Original Plan: 5 schools that she felt SURE of

What Actually Happened: TWELVE schools 🤣

The reasons were solid ones. Because music scholarships are 100% unpredictable, she applied to three schools where, if she were to go, she would not be a music major. Each of those schools, however, has a professor/teacher/program nearby where she could continue her music instruction and continue teaching and each has a guaranteed, substantial academic scholarship in place. One school has a weak program in her instrument, BUT the professor would give her a very specialized instruction, so she applied "just in case." Then 7 schools with programs of varying degrees of positive interest from her (from VERY interested to ... "we'll see what kind of scholarship they offer"). And, the last add-on, the CSS Profile school with the professor who contacted her and encouraged her to apply.

She feels she'd be Very Happy at 10/12 of those schools - and would be not-quite-as-excited-but-still-fine-with-it for the other 2, so I'll call that a win.

She has one week left for several honors/scholarship essay applications. She is 100% DONE with essays, but at least 3 of them aren't even started yet (and there are still others that aren't due until March... so it's never-ending), so...

Auditions are in full-swing from late January through mid-March and then we shall wait and see. It's overwhelming - both mentally and financially (adding up those audition trips!!) - but she has a chance of earning a substantial music scholarship, so we'll plow through and hope it pays off in the end. 🏆 And I'm happy that she'll have no regrets as far as where she applied (by restricting her list). So far, she's very happy to have taken a gap year so she can focus on all of this without having to juggle high school studies as well. DS (next year) will not be so lucky.

I remember it well...it was driving my daughter crazy that all of her friends knew where they were going and she hadn't even auditioned anywhere yet! The school she ended up at said they email decisions by April 1st. They weren't kidding, just after midnight they pushed out their decision and scholarship letters. It was a very stressful time for her and a huge relief when it was finally over.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Kassia said:

My DS will be going to UT Dallas. It is a great school. We have visited a lot of campuses and this was always the one he wanted to attend. 

Maybe we can meet up sometime. DS will live on campus, though we only live 30 minutes away. 

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

My DS will be going to UT Dallas. It is a great school. We have visited a lot of campuses and this was always the one he wanted to attend. 

Maybe we can meet up sometime. DS will live on campus, though we only live 30 minutes away. 

That would be great!  You are so fortunate to be only 30 minutes away!  Congratulations to your son!  🙂  

DS went into this process expecting to apply to 8+ schools, but ended up applying only to 4 - Florida Southern, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USMA, and USNA.

He was accepted to Florida Southern awhile back and found out this week he won a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship to attend!  Still waiting to hear from the other three schools. We'll see. He and my husband loved Florida Southern when they visited, so we're thrilled that he has such a wonderful opportunity. 

• Like 22

My son just got into the University of Wisconsin - Madison.  I am so relieved!

ETA:  He also got into University of Washington - Seattle, University of Maryland - College Park, Washington State University, and Montana State University.  He was waitlisted at Northeastern and Boston University and was rejected at Brown and University of Virginia.  He will be attending UW - Madison.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 29

My ds18 has only applied to 2 schools and has been accepted at both in the Engineering Colleges - Northern Arizona University and University of Arizona. We found out yesterday that he has received a Wildcat Distinction Merit Award at UA, and the amount will cover tuition and fees. We are so excited!

Edited by Kalypso
  • Like 22

My DS ended up applying to more schools than were originally on his target list. It evolved over time, due to a recent decision on his part to change his intended major, and also due to a decision on the part of all of us to take our lives in a different direction after DH retires (moving to a different state). DS has heard back from all the schools he applied to except one. Admitted to: Univ of Oklahoma, Univ of Tulsa, Pittsburg State, Truman State, Colorado State, Univ of Northern Colorado, and Regis Univ. Awaiting a decision from Univ of Colorado-Boulder. 

DS was named a NMSF so we are anxious to hear about NMF in February and then will start making decisions. Chasing merit money and a particular major/area of study but also doesn't want to go TOO far away. He isn't set on any particular school at this point. He has a favorite but is being very practical about it all. We started HSing when he was in 4th grade. Can't believe this part of our journey is nearly over.

ETA: DS has been admitted to all 8 of the schools to which he applied and all 8 offered him merit scholarships. We've also been notified that he has advanced to NMF status. Woot! Now he has decisions to make . . . 

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 20

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 8:21 AM, Donna said:

Very cool! My oldest son is applying to an online program at UNC-W too. He can't be on campus either but not for such a cool reason. 🙂 Congrats! 

• Like 4

DS17 has applied to 3 NC schools, and he's been accepted to his first choice (Appalachian State) with a partial academic scholarship. He's still waiting on the other two (UNC-Charlotte and NC State). Unless the other two offer more money, he'll be at App. 

DS19 has been accepted as a transfer student at UNC-Greensboro and has also applied to an online program at UNC-Wilmington. He hasn't heard back from Wilmington yet.  

• Like 24

On 11/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, beckyjo said:

My DD applied to 6 schools. So far, she has heard back from the two small liberal arts colleges, and none of the larger state universities. She will be graduating high school in May with an Associates of Science from our local community college. 

So far, she's been accepted to Coe College (with a Trustee scholarship) and Monmouth College (with a merit scholarship and a chance to apply/interview for a full scholarship later). Between the two, Monmouth is higher up the list, which I like because they came back costing us less money. Monmouth also doesn't have book fees; they're included in tuition - so that's a further plus for them. Waiting on UW Madison, U of Illinois, U of Alabama - Huntsville and Stevens Institute of Tech. She says U of I is her first choice. 

Quoting myself to update:

U of I was a denial. I knew it was a reach since DD will be a computer science major. Their computer science/engineering program is extremely difficult to get into. It's a bummer since we are in-state and under the income level for free tuition, but easy come, easy go I guess.

UW- Madison needed more information, which she sent at the end of December. She is currently waiting to hear back from them.

UAH was acceptance with a fairly large scholarship. This is now her first choice. She'll be visiting in March during her spring break. 

No word whatsoever from Stevens. Still waiting on financial aid packages from all schools except the two little liberal arts colleges. 

• Like 14

On 12/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, Kalypso said:

My ds18 has only applied to 2 schools and has been accepted at both in the Engineering Colleges - Northern Arizona University and University of Arizona. We found out yesterday that he has received a Wildcat Distinction Merit Award at UA, and the amount will cover tuition and fees. We are so excited!

I have a dear friend whose daughter is going to the University of Arizona in the fall, and she is so excited!! Congratulations to your son!

• Like 4

Congratulations to everyone!

I still can’t believe we are at this point. I remember being on this forum when my kids were itty bitty.

My Senior was accepted ED at Hillsdale College. It is his first choice, and he got a great merit award. It is a terrific fit for him.

It’s funny how things work out. My plan was always so much college searching, lots of options. It turns out I had a more single-minded kid than I expected:D

eta: ignore my sig, life has had me off the forum for far too long:)

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 26

S received three more acceptances, Central CT State Uni, UMaine, and Manhattan College. Also two rejections, one of which was a top contender. 😞 All that's left are his two RD schools, and both are reaches, so I want him to look at his current acceptances and come up with his top two or three to revisit. Luckily they're affordable with the merit awards, though I'd certainly be happy if he received some FA as well!

• Like 25