Menu

What's with the ads?

whitestavern

Class of 2020 College Acceptances

I didn't see a thread for our graduating seniors, so I'm starting one ūüôā

S submitted apps to 11 schools over the past two weeks; some are rolling admission, so we're hoping to start hearing soon! It would be really nice if the first one to come in was an acceptance, even if it's not one of his top choices.

Please share any acceptances your kids have received!!

• Like 16

Eh, dd17 was already accepted into college, but it's not going to sound as spectacular as everyone else's.

My senior is graduating early - in a couple of weeks -and is starting at the community college in January.  We already went through the whole process.  Application...she did her placement tests at the college (which she scored so high that she only has to take one math class for her Bachelor's and she's taking it in January)....we did all the advising appointments, the New Student Group Advising...she registered for all her classes....  I'm going to start buying her textbooks this weekend.  Next week sometime, we're going to walk around campus and find all of her classes.  She gets lost every time she goes on campus for something.

The only thing we have left is to pay the bill.  We have another month to pay it and the college has a payment plan - we're not taking out student loans.

Her first semester classes are: English 1, US History 1, Statistics, Art, and Kinesiology.  She's VERY excited.  The campus is only 10 miles away, so she can keep doing all the stuff she normally does (volunteer work, etc) and live at home.

• Like 38

@Evanthe - having a child attend somewhere they are excited about that does not require any debt is a huge win on all fronts!  I think it IS spectacular!  Congrats to all! 

• Like 18

@Evanthe¬†My dd only applied to 1 school not even 10 miles away, was accepted, and is making her plans for fall which include living at home. ūüôā Nothing like her siblings, but perfect for her (and a relief for me!)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 28

My dd17 applied to 6 universities; 4 back in August and 2 last month. She was accepted to University of North Florida with a merit scholarship, University of South Florida (fingers crossed for a merit scholarship; she will hear mid-November), and Texas A&M (academic admit for out-of-state). Thankfully, dd qualifies for the Bright Futures scholarship here in Florida, so tuition at in-state u's is 100% free with that.¬†We have to wait on 3 other universities which typically don't send out acceptances until January or February. It's so nice to have acceptances from rolling admission schools, as well as one that had Early Action. When one of our acquaintances found out my dd got into UNF and USF (this was before the TAMU admit), he was floored. It was obvious he had a misconception about homeschooling. ūüėČ Let's hear it for homeschooling!

• Like 27

5 hours ago, Hoggirl said:

@Evanthe - having a child attend somewhere they are excited about that does not require any debt is a huge win on all fronts!  I think it IS spectacular!  Congrats to all! 

Agree!!

• Like 6

My daughter was accepted to Boise State University with a Dean's Scholarship, she plans on attending BSU.  I was amazed how early we found out with rolling admissions!  She applied as soon as she could, the first week of August, and she heard back the first week of September. 

She currently plans to major in Illustration with a minor in Psychology.  They have a degree tracker where you can see what courses you have to take for different majors and/or minors, she is having fun playing around with it.  I told her that back in the old days you had to see an actual person to do that and they would take out little charts and write it out on paper for you...

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 23

PonyGirl -- Virginia Wesleyan (Swimming, Honors College, Academic Scholarship); Liberty University (Honors College, Academic Scholarship -- Swimming TBD)  Two down, 5 more to complete (we should hear from VMI and have an idea about the two Service Academies next... and Ivies are all RD, so awhile to wait there).

• Like 18

Dd applied to one school and was accepted - UT Dallas.  She is NMSF and hoping to advance to finalist.  UT Dallas is 1200 miles away and she's my youngest and only one at home so this is going to be a big adjustment for us!  I never thought she'd go so far away (she's an introvert with social anxiety) but we visited campus and she's happy with her decision.  Fingers crossed that she doesn't change her mind.  

• Like 20

DS got into Carthage for both Econ & MusicTheatre and an invite to the 'honors program'. ¬†He's in the running for a president's scholarship, but automatic merit scholarship and other things makes most of tuition already covered. This is his backup school, so he'll get to go someplace! ¬†ūüôā

CMU MusicTheatre declined him an audition. ¬†he was sad. He didn't think he'd make it in, but thought he'd at least get to the onsite audition. ūüėě

still waiting to hear from several others.

• Like 19

My oldest was accepted at Texas State University a couple of days ago. It is her top choice, but we are still waiting to hear from several other schools and see what each offers in the way of financial aid. 

She is still working on voice auditions, because singing in a choir is very important to her. Beyond having her major available, a high-quality audition-only choir was the top factor in selecting the schools she applied to.

• Like 18

Congrats to everyone!

My dd2 was homeschooled through 8th grade, ps for high school. She is going to New Mexico State- signed a NLI to swim there and received her admission packet in the same week.

• Like 17

DD17 has heard back from two schools so far!

Utah State University (my alma mater)- Dean's Scholarship

University of South Carolina- merit scholarship (we don't find out how much until March??- weird)

• Like 13

On 11/6/2019 at 8:35 AM, Evanthe said:

Eh, dd17 was already accepted into college, but it's not going to sound as spectacular as everyone else's.

My senior is graduating early - in a couple of weeks -and is starting at the community college in January.  We already went through the whole process.  Application...she did her placement tests at the college (which she scored so high that she only has to take one math class for her Bachelor's and she's taking it in January)....we did all the advising appointments, the New Student Group Advising...she registered for all her classes....  I'm going to start buying her textbooks this weekend.  Next week sometime, we're going to walk around campus and find all of her classes.  She gets lost every time she goes on campus for something.

The only thing we have left is to pay the bill.  We have another month to pay it and the college has a payment plan - we're not taking out student loans.

Her first semester classes are: English 1, US History 1, Statistics, Art, and Kinesiology.  She's VERY excited.  The campus is only 10 miles away, so she can keep doing all the stuff she normally does (volunteer work, etc) and live at home.

That's fantastic.  Congratulations to your daughter.  It sounds like she has a great next step planned.  That is always reason to be excited.  I hope she finds a nice group of classmates and enjoys her classes.

• Like 4

On 11/7/2019 at 2:47 AM, ElizabethB said:

My daughter was accepted to Boise State University with a Dean's Scholarship, she plans on attending BSU.  I was amazed how early we found out with rolling admissions!  She applied as soon as she could, the first week of August, and she heard back the first week of September. 

She currently plans to major in Illustration with a minor in Psychology.  They have a degree tracker where you can see what courses you have to take for different majors and/or minors, she is having fun playing around with it.  I told her that back in the old days you had to see an actual person to do that and they would take out little charts and write it out on paper for you...

A friend has both of her daughters at Boise State.  They really like the school and she is a huge fan of the school and the area.  Best of luck to your daughter.

• Like 2

Congrats to everyone, so far really exciting stuff to read! Also community college and saving money too! My kids are ready to ‚Äúget outa dodge‚ÄĚ by this age but If yours is happy and content at home it‚Äôs so awesome to save money and enjoy the next step whatever that is.¬†

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

A friend has both of her daughters at Boise State.  They really like the school and she is a huge fan of the school and the area.  Best of luck to your daughter.

Thanks!

They have recently put a lot of money into the school, the library is amazing for a school of the size, and there are great new labs in the engineering department, a new fine arts building.  They also have a nice linguistics lab.  Interestingly, they paid thousands of dollars for a specialized phonetics program but use the free Praat program instead because it's better, I have some Praat speech files about 1/2 of the way down my dyslexia page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/dyslexia.html

The software is clunky but it is very powerful.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, MysteryJen said:

Congrats to everyone!

My dd2 was homeschooled through 8th grade, ps for high school. She is going to New Mexico State- signed a NLI to swim there and received her admission packet in the same week.

That is awesome that she found her place! I think my soon-to-graduate college senior will be moving to NM to work next year.

• Like 4

My DD applied to 6 schools. So far, she has heard back from the two small liberal arts colleges, and none of the larger state universities. She will be graduating high school in May with an Associates of Science from our local community college. 

So far, she's been accepted to Coe College (with a Trustee scholarship) and Monmouth College (with a merit scholarship and a chance to apply/interview for a full scholarship later). Between the two, Monmouth is higher up the list, which I like because they came back costing us less money. Monmouth also doesn't have book fees; they're included in tuition - so that's a further plus for them. Waiting on UW Madison, U of Illinois, U of Alabama - Huntsville and Stevens Institute of Tech. She says U of I is her first choice. 

• Like 7

Stephens threw my son a huge scholarship. He chose PennState Main campus - it‚Äėa more well known around the world whereas Stephens is kind of east coast. But I really really liked so many things about Stephens, and I feel it would have been a good fit. Maybe your dd will get some merit money too.¬†

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beckyjo said:

So far, she's been accepted to Coe College (with a Trustee scholarship) and Monmouth College (with a merit scholarship and a chance to apply/interview for a full scholarship later). . . Waiting on UW Madison, U of Illinois, U of Alabama - Huntsville and Stevens Institute of Tech. She says U of I is her first choice. 

Kinda shocked UAH hasn't gotten back to her yet. I think it only took a week to hear from them. It was fast.

DD got in at Coe & was called at least once a week for months by the admissions person there plus emails all the time. She wasn't ever a fan of it, but hated the attention. They were her first, "No." The constant contact probably works for 65% of the other kids though... 

Good luck to her!

• Like 1

Dd only applied to one school and was accepted as a transfer due to her dual enrollment credits. She is graduating this month to do a 6 month tour as a musician for a major production and will begin at University of North Carolina Wilmington in the fall. All her DE credits will transfer and they have an online International Studies degree so she can complete college (studying something that interests her) and continue touring as a musician. Seems to be the perfect option for her at the moment.

• Like 13

My wish was granted, first two responses were acceptances (Wentworth Institute of Technology and UMass Dartmouth) both direct admits to the civil engineering program. So happy for DS ūüôā And a nice merit package from Wentworth, which was unexpected. Nine to go...

• Like 8

On 12/2/2019 at 5:21 AM, Donna said:

Dd only applied to one school and was accepted as a transfer due to her dual enrollment credits. She is graduating this month to do a 6 month tour as a musician for a major production and will begin at University of North Carolina Wilmington in the fall. All her DE credits will transfer and they have an online International Studies degree so she can complete college (studying something that interests her) and continue touring as a musician. Seems to be the perfect option for her at the moment.

I clicked on her website! Super amazing!! sounds like she is really awesome, and so glad for you that she is going to be able to do college and tour!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

I clicked on her website! Super amazing!! sounds like she is really awesome, and so glad for you that she is going to be able to do college and tour!

Thank you!

• Like 1