Menu

Who has had a colonoscopy?

DawnM

UGH.  I don't know what happened, but the doctor's office has tried to call me for over a week to schedule but I haven't gotten calls.  I will call them tomorrow.  I am HOPING they can fit me in before school starts.

Tell me all about it.  I have friends who have gotten them, but I want more info.

I am a little freaked out..

• Will I clean out enough (I had a friend who didn't and they couldn't do it, and she followed all the protocol)
  • How will I react to the anesthesia?  I have trouble sometimes waking up.
  • Will they perforate my bowels?  (I google too much!)
  • Like 1

I had my 1st one about 7 mths ago. 
In hindsight, it was all fine.
It requires attention (eating what they tell you).
They describe what "cleaned out" looks like, & if you're not "cleaned out" you can just take more of the Drink Stuff they give you.
They will watch you wake up from the anesthesia, & you have plenty of time to orient yourself to your surroundings, etc.
But you also must have someone with you, as you cannot drive home.
You will need to rest for the rest of the day.
Colonoscopies are very routine & I don't believe perforations are very common.
I googled the stats = .03% to .7% have perforation . . . which is really a tiny group, which possibly already had bowel problems to begin with.

Please don't hesitate to follow thru & have the colonoscopy, for the sake of your health.  😀
You'll be fine!

• Like 3

I had one this year

I did the Miralax two-step Prep and it worked great.  My colon was clean as a whistle.  Google.  A lot of the big names have it on their site.  

You divide the dose...and the timing depends on when your procedure is. Cheaper than the Rx stuff too.  Easier to tolerate. I mixed the Miralax with Crystal Light, as I hate Gatorade. Also involved taking some Dulcolax.  Having a bidet helps, too. 🙂

They put in an IV...I was wheeled in.... CNA spoke to me and said I'd feel some stinging from the Propofol, don't remember if I did...but next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. Doc came in....showed me pics....said your colon is very boring 😉 ...see you in 10 years.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, DawnM said:
  • Will I clean out enough (I had a friend who didn't and they couldn't do it, and she followed all the protocol)
  • How will I react to the anesthesia?  I have trouble sometimes waking up.
  • Will they perforate my bowels?  (I google too much!)

I put mine off for several years. Dh flat out REFUSED to get one, which was ridiculous since his father had colon cancer.

When I finally did it last fall, I ate only soft foods two days before. The day before, I had only clear liquids. This was the worst part. I about puked on broth, it was so gross, and what else really is there? Jello, popsicles, and sugary things? Different docs/facilities will have different protocols. Mine had me use Miralax over a hour (or two?) period the evening before. I worried I'd gag on the drink, but it was truly a piece of cake. I mixed it with gatorade (not red or purple, per doc's instructions). The bathroom part was no big deal. Despite my fear that I would be on or running to the toilet all night, that just didn't happen. My appointment was pretty early in the morning, 8 or 9, I think. They put me in a prep area, a curtained off room, did my IV, doc came and talked to me. They wheeled me into the procedure room. I ALWAYS barf from anesthesia, so the anesthesiologist gave me anti-nausea meds in my IV. I was out in a flash. Woke up later and felt pretty decent. They wheeled me out and went over my (clean!) results, I waited a bit more, and my husband took me home. I was eating pancakes and bacon before lunchtime.

It went so well that my husband scheduled his finally too. He was really nervous, and when he was in the recovery, he made a joke to the doctor, who told my husband that he had a nice ass and couldn't wait to see him again. It was hilarious, and my husband doesn't remember. 😂😂😂

Anyway, it was a piece of cake, much like a mammogram where the thought is much worse than reality.

• Like 3

I had my first one last year.  I started a thread about it then because I was so nervous!  I really just followed directions and it was fine.  The one thing I did a little differently was that I didn't use all Gatorade, which they recommended for the prep.  For the most part, I used a non-sweetened herbal tea, which was way easier for me to swallow!  Everything went fine.  The only hard part was the prep.  The procedure itself went lickety-split.  It was such a relief to have it done.  I probably won't do another one.

• Like 2

I've had 4-5 (family history of colon cancer). The prep isn't fun - I've had different preps each time. None were tasty or anything to look forward to. Lots of drinking until you are tired of drinking! I'm not sure why someone would not be clean enough unless maybe they had a history of constipation? 

Usually they offer two different sedation options - one were you will be pretty much 100% awake after you wake up and the other where you will sleep the rest of the day. I'd talk to the anesthesiologist about your trouble waking up and see what they say. 

Just FYI, you can elect to do it without any anesthesia. My dh did this last time. He said he would do it again next time. The doctor reports very few people elect to do that. I, however, will not be electing that option. 

Edited by Bambam
Edited - added word so it made sense. 
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I've had 4-5 (family history of colon cancer). The prep isn't fun - I've had different preps each time. None were tasty or anything to look forward to. Lots of drinking until you are tired of drinking! I'm not sure why someone would not be clean enough unless maybe they had a history of constipation? 

Usually they offer two different sedation options - one were you will be pretty much 100% awake after you wake up and the other where you will sleep the rest of the day. I'd talk to the anesthesiologist about your trouble waking up and see what they say. 

Just FYI, you can elect to do it with any anesthesia. My dh did this last time. He said he would do it again next time. The doctor reports very few people elect to do that. I, however, will not be electing that option. 

I opted to do mine without anesthesia and would do it again. There was some discomfort as they went around the last bend, but I liked watching the procedure and talking with my doctor about what was happening and what he saw. The discomfort was due to the camera moving through. I felt nothing when he cut off the polyps. I had gas for about 30 min after it was done and could've driven home afterwards without any problems.

• Like 4

Because my father died of a kind of colon cancer that is hereditary, I have had multiple colonoscopies over the last 20+ years. The first one started out without anesthesia and then they quick-like-a-bunny put me out when it reached that kink and it was *terribly* *instantly* painful 😮, but since then I have always been drugged. 🙂 It isn't the same kind of anesthesia that you get for surgery; it has never made me sick in any way.

• Like 1

The procedure itself was fine. I came out of anesthesia feeling like I had just had the most wonderful, refreshing nap.

The prep was difficult for me. There were diet restrictions that started several days before, then some fasting--all was fine though I complained of hunger. But the worst part was that I could not keep the prep solution down the afternoon before my early appointment for the colonoscopy the next day. I must gag easily. I was stressed that I had spent all that time fasting and preparing and then wouldn't be able to have the procedure. I called the on-call doctor at like 6:00pm and he called in a different solution to the pharmacy that was open late. I got there and they didn't have the med in stock! But the pharmacist told me about prepping with Miralax and Gatorade (not red), and they had that in the store. And I was able to keep that down and have the procedure the next morning. So my advice is to go with Miralax and Gatorade!

• Like 1

If you are normally "regular", the clean out should go just fine.  If you are typically constipated, or have tarry, sticky stools, you might need more prep.

The prep is the worst part of the whole thing.  Our doctor prescribes a megadose of laxative, and a gallon of Gatorade, the night before.  You will be very sick of Gatorade afterward.  But, again, if you're normally regular, the cramping will be minimal, and you'll just sorta pee out your backside.  

The procedure is easy.  Our doctor doesn't use general anesthetic, but conscious sedation.  If your doctor does the same, you will still be awake and breathing on your own, but you won't remember a thing.  It's kind of embarrassing to not have any idea what you said afterward, but not scary or uncomfortable.  We didn't have any nausea or other sickness.  We just became aware of things, and kind of groggy.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wilrunner said:

I opted to do mine without anesthesia and would do it again. There was some discomfort as they went around the last bend, but I liked watching the procedure and talking with my doctor about what was happening and what he saw. The discomfort was due to the camera moving through. I felt nothing when he cut off the polyps. I had gas for about 30 min after it was done and could've driven home afterwards without any problems.

7 hours ago, Bambam said:

Just FYI, you can elect to do it with any anesthesia. My dh did this last time. He said he would do it again next time. The doctor reports very few people elect to do that. I, however, will not be electing that option. 

My dad has done a couple without anesthesia so he can talk to his doctor and watch the screen while it is being done, but I also remember he had an issue with that (spasms) a few years ago.  Not sure he has had one since.

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

they do better anesthesia with propfol (in most cases) than they did 10 years ago with just versed. My advice is schedule the first appt of the day. Even if you have to take a day off work. Don’t get the 3pm appt and suffer all day with no food or water.A

Also. If the prep makes you sick or doesn’t work- CALL them and tell them. There are tons of alternate preps. If you are an unusually constipated person, or suspect blockages or adhesions, they should vary the prep for that. Otherwise it’s honestly not a big deal at all. You’ll be fine. 

All of this.

General anesthesia makes me horribly ill afterwards. The propolol or profolol (I don't know the correct name/spelling) was wonderful. I had a very nice nap, woke up easily, and was alert within a couple of minutes or so. The Versed and whatever else combo they used to use wasn't bad, but it took me 30-60 minutes to feel like I was fully "there" afterwards.

As others have said, what type of prep you do will depend mostly on your doctor. There are lots of variations, so don't get confused by people posting about different things. It's not fun, but it's worth it. Follow directions and you'll likely be fine.

I'd try to arrange it so that you can do absolutely nothing the rest of the day. Definitely plan on not driving, but I'd plan on not doing anything at home, either. There's a good chance you'll feel just fine, but it's nice to know you don't have to function if you don't want to. And it's a nice reward for getting it done.

• Like 2

OMG!  I called to schedule and they said, "Sure, this Thursday!"  

I am picking up the drink mix crap today.  

I ate fairly light yesterday, so will eat light today and then only clear liquids tomorrow.  

Did you put anything in your coffee the day before?  She said no creamer or milk products.  Only black?  ARGH.  don't like it black, but may have to deal.

• Like 4

I have had one and a half.  The prep is really nothing, as long as you are at home & can go to the bathroom when you need to.

My first colonoscopy, I made the mistake of asking them to give me light anaesthesia so I would not be too knocked out.  They said I expressed pain in the middle so they stopped it.  I had no recollection of that.  Could have been that I was too out of it and protested that something was where it shouldn't be ... or it could be that the doctor didn't know how to deal with the shape of my colon ... or who knows what.  I should have either had zero drugs (if alert I would probably not have yelled unless in excruciating pain), or gone all in to get it done.

The second time, I told them to just knock me out and get it done.  That time it went perfectly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I ate fairly light yesterday, so will eat light today and then only clear liquids tomorrow.  

Did you put anything in your coffee the day before?  She said no creamer or milk products.  Only black?  ARGH.  don't like it black, but may have to deal.

"Clear liquids" includes black coffee. Nothing in it. Adding milk or creamer means it's no longer a clear liquid.

ETA: At least you don't have time to dread it! That's probably a good thing.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I have one scheduled in a little over a week, and I am so nervous!  I have SuPrep.

I was not told to eat light the couple of days before the prep started.  I have read on-line to eat low fiber on those days as well. What, exactly, does “eating light” mean?  I’m not talking about the prep day - the day with only the clear liquids.  I’m talking about the days leading up to that.  What do you advise eating or not eating on those days? 

Also, my SuPrep says to mix with water.  Can I mix it with something else??  I’ve also read online to “chase” it as I drink it?  Is this okay?  Does this mean to take sips of the prep and then sips of something else?  I don’t even know what “chasing” means in this context.  

She freaked me out when she said, “Don’t throw it up.”  What the heck?  I can’t control that!  They did I tell me to call if I did. I just wish I knew what to expect on the taste before I started.  I think I could be better prepared mentally.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

I was not told to eat light the couple of days before the prep started.  I have read on-line to eat low fiber on those days as well. What, exactly, does “eating light” mean?  I’m not talking about the prep day - the day with only the clear liquids.  I’m talking about the days leading up to that.  What do you advise eating or not eating on those days? 

Low-fiber/low-residue - no nuts, seeds, popcorn, whole grains, raw vegetables or fruits with skins (apples, grapes), etc. Foods that are easy to digest - white rice, white toast, white pasta, cereals like rice krispies or rice chex, saltines, pretzels, yogurt (but not too much dairy), cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, eggs, chicken or tuna (I'd avoid much red meat).  I've had several intestinal surgeries and, unfortunately, have to eat like this most of the time.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

"Clear liquids" includes black coffee. Nothing in it. Adding milk or creamer means it's no longer a clear liquid.

ETA: At least you don't have time to dread it! That's probably a good thing.

I just wondered if there was any creamer out there that would be acceptable.  I know they said no dairy.   Coffee isn't clear! 😂

47 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I just wondered if there was any creamer out there that would be acceptable.  I know they said no dairy.   Coffee isn't clear! 😂

I believe the medical definition of "clear liquid" means you can see through it when held up to a bright light in a clear/glass container. And when coffee is properly brewed you can indeed do that. I'm sure it's possible to make it so incredibly strong (or maybe to let it stand for so long) that you couldn't see through it. But I think most people don't do that. Here's the Mayo Clinic's definition:

A clear liquid diet consists of clear liquids — such as water, broth and plain gelatin — that are easily digested and leave no undigested residue in your intestinal tract. Your doctor may prescribe a clear liquid diet before certain medical procedures or if you have certain digestive problems. Because a clear liquid diet can't provide you with adequate calories and nutrients, it shouldn't be continued for more than a few days.

Clear liquids and foods may be colored so long as you are able to see through them. Foods can be considered liquid if they partly or completely melt to liquid at room temperature. You can't eat solid food while on a clear liquid diet.

• Like 2

I kept postponing my colonoscopy due to all the fears you mentioned.  Plus, I tend toward hypoglycemia and was worried that after all my efforts, they'd have to cancel the procedure because i would be in the ER from passing out and hitting my head.  It took 5 years for me to get up the courage to do it.  In the days leading up to the prep, I made sure that I ate high protein, low residue foods.  lots of yogurt smoothies with fruits that had no seeds, chicken, mashed taters, etc.  I also made bone broth and jello  because I felt that the added protein would help me when I was on clear liquids.  I had to be careful with sugar so I wouldn't have crashes.  I managed that fast better than I thought I would.  Drinking the prep was hard.  I ended up adding Crystal Light lemonade to my prep to give it an almost tolerable flavor (but I usually drink lemonade made from lemon juice so the flavor was not comparable.)  I basically could not be more than 5 feet from the bathroom.  I ended up bringing my laptop in there and binging on netflix in there.  Oh, and diaper cream ahead of the emptying out helped.  

I, too, worried about anesthesia.  I tell you, it was the best sleep I ever had.  I woke up feeling refreshed and relaxed.  The doc said my prep was perfect and my colon was delightfully boring.  Since I have a family history, I have to go back in 5 years.  But, I don't dread it like I did.  I just know that I need to clear my calendar for 3 -4 days and call far enough ahead to get the first appointment in the AM.

• Like 4

I have read several of these threads this past year - I am overdue getting mine by 2 years.  I called this morning and made an appt for my DH (his is on time) and for me for September.

I had one 12 years ago (due to a problem I was having) and everything was fine then.  I don't mind the procedure at all.  The prep is what gets me.  Taking notes so I can talk to the Dr. about my prep plan!

Good luck!

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3

I had a lot of trouble with polyethelene glycol for my first colonoscopy many years ago.   The second procedure (a couple of years ago) was with Prepopik (I refused to try the PEG experience again) -- and it worked the way it was supposed to.  Anesthesia was fine both times.  My biggest problem with the more recent colonoscopy was getting moderately dehydrated due to the prep and the no-liquids-for-x-hours rules.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I believe the medical definition of "clear liquid" means you can see through it when held up to a bright light in a clear/glass container. And when coffee is properly brewed you can indeed do that. I'm sure it's possible to make it so incredibly strong (or maybe to let it stand for so long) that you couldn't see through it. But I think most people don't do that. Here's the Mayo Clinic's definition:

Oh, I was joking.  And no, my coffee isn't see though.  I make it strong.

• Haha 1

One tip that helped me was to alternate sweet and savory drinks on your "clear liquids the day before" diet.   I got really shaky and lightheaded when I went too long without drinking something, so I'd slowly sip a Sprite or Gatorade, then slowly sip some broth, alternating sweet/savory and hot/cold, and I felt great doing it that way.

Both of my colonoscopies have felt like the BEST nap I've had in a long time, then I've come home and slept for another several hours.   The prep is only bad for a few hours, then it's over.

• Like 1

I wanted to be sure I was cleaned out for the procedure, so the night before prepping, I had soup that I had made by boiling chopped carrots, celery, and onion in chicken broth and then straining before drinking. Also, I made my own finger jello with fruit juice. That helped me to feel like I was eating something, but it was less sugar than traditional jello.

It really was not a difficult procedure, and I'm a wimp! I enjoyed having my only job on the day of prepping be to get the beverage down and use the bathroom. I watched movies and was very lazy the day before and then the day of, so it was kind of a vacation!

• Like 4

I had my first colonoscopy this summer.  They were looking for an actual problem, so I wanted to make sure that we didn't have to do it again.

I actually did the liquid diet for two days instead of the one day that was recommended.  I was a little bit dehydrated when I went in (for the last appointment of the day).  The next time I do this I will make sure to up my liquid intake.

I agree with @SebastianCat about alternating sweet and savory.  I had chicken stock, beef stock, various juices (not purple or red), green tea, and Jello (not red, blue, or purple).

For the prep with Gatorade, I used a flavor that I had never had before so that I wouldn't know what it tasted like before putting the medication in it. 

• Like 1

I’ve had the virtual colonoscopy 2 times, prep is the same and I was awake the whole time. The only down side is, if they do fine any polyps, it has to be done all over, with anesthesia, so polyps can be removed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DawnM said:

It woud have been very difficult to begin that day without caffeine. I drank caffeinated tea instead of black coffee.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I need to do one in a month. I have NO idea how the prep is supposed to work on a no-sugar/no carbs diet. Gatorade? Nope. Sprite? Nope. Jello? Nope. Cereal? Nope. Potatoes? Nope. Rice? Nope. Broth? Only if I can find some w/o MSG. I guess I eat nothing for 3 days. This should be fun. 

I made my own broth in my Instant Pot.  If you don't have one, get a friend to make it for you.  The pressure cooker helps draw out more collagen which helps you feel fuller.  Plus, it is tastier than any store-bought broth.  I also made my own jello using plain gelatin.  That wasn't so tasty 😕.  (We save the bones from dinners I make with organic chicken ... I keep a container in the freezer with the bones and pull them out when it is time to make the broth.)  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

The taste of SuPrep is fruity and it leaves a strong aftertaste in your mouth..   It reminded me of a strong cherry flavored cough syrup in intensity. The first time I had it i thought it was like what i was given for a CT scan, kind of raspberryish, no trouble, just not a flavor I'd ever choose.  the second time i had to hold my nose, the smell was just too much.    the chaser would be whatever you want to drink to clear the taste out. I just brushed my teeth and tongue.  You could also swish with a mouthwash.  

I was told to refrigerate the SuPrep and dilute with chilled water.  I wouldn't advise gulping it all down quickly, that may be a bit much for your stomach...just sip over the time interval given. A straw may be helpful to limit where the SuPrep contacts your mouth.  

On my instruction paper it seemed to say water before bed was optional...worked a lot better to drink a glass at 11 p.m. than not.

The practice i use gives the patient a roll afterwards, if yours doesn't bring something like crackers to eat on the way home - its been a while since you had food and you'll appreciate it if you have a longer ride home.  If you do have a polyp removed, you will have a slightly restricted diet for the next few days. Be kind to yourself on the next meal after and make it something easily digestible. 

I’ve had several polyps removed and have never been put on a restricted diet afterwards. Nor has anyone else that I know. So maybe that’s a regional medical difference?

• Like 1

Today is prep day......BLECH!  I am hungry, hate jello, and had to go to the dentist today.

Prep starts at 6pm with the drink.  I am worried about being up all night, I can start earlier with the drink can't I?  I was thinking around 3 or 4.  I just want to go to sleep tonight and not have to wake up to go to the bathroom.

13 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I need to do one in a month. I have NO idea how the prep is supposed to work on a no-sugar/no carbs diet. Gatorade? Nope. Sprite? Nope. Jello? Nope. Cereal? Nope. Potatoes? Nope. Rice? Nope. Broth? Only if I can find some w/o MSG. I guess I eat nothing for 3 days. This should be fun. 

I always do sugar-free Jell-O and popsicles, plus Crystal Lite, diet sodas, herbal tea...can you have artificial sweeteners?  I found broth with no msg, too.  

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Today is prep day......BLECH!  I am hungry, hate jello, and had to go to the dentist today.

Prep starts at 6pm with the drink.  I am worried about being up all night, I can start earlier with the drink can't I?  I was thinking around 3 or 4.  I just want to go to sleep tonight and not have to wake up to go to the bathroom.

I would follow instructions.  It's only one night and you can sleep tomorrow.  You don't want to do anything to make you have to repeat the procedure.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Nope, no artificial sweeteners. I need to go look at organic broth--rarely does it have MSG. Most major brands do. The good news is that I can go drink Bai again. I really like it, but the erythritol does a number on my intestines. Since that's the desired effect, I can indulge! The non-blue and red ones anyway. Aspartame is a no go. 

Talk to your doctor.  It may be a day you need to go off a diet if it is a personal choice (meaning you won't have severe allergic reactions if you don't do it), or there may be an alternative for you.

I am reading that a new protocol allows patients to eat the day before a colonoscopy until around 12 or 1 and then the need to follow procedure in the evening prior.  

• Like 1

I just turned 50 so I'm pretty sure my doctor is going to tell me to get one when I see her in November.    Dh is 13 years older than me and started having them young since his mom had colon cancer so he's an expert at this point.   I'm still not looking forward to it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hyacinth said:

My doctor suggested Cologuard instead of a colonoscopy. Is that unusual?

It is being promoted as a screening tool for low-risk individuals, due to the fact that it is not as accurate as a colonoscopy.   From their website:

False positives and false negative can occur. In a clinical study, 13% of people without cancer received a positive result (false positive) and 8% of people with cancer received a negative result (false negative). It is important to talk to your doctor about your test results.

Due to family history, I am not considered low risk, so Cologuard is not a good option for me.

• Like 1

Had my first and only (so far) colonscopy two years ago.  Was ordered after my genetic testing for breast cancer revealed a mutation for colon  and other cancers and also to see if it was source of my severe anemia. 

You will be "cleaned out" when your output looks like early morning urine with no solid matter.  I was cleaned out sufficiently without finishing the mega jug of solution.

You do not have to have a sedative or anesthesia for the colonscopy if you prefer not to.  Procedure itself doesn't really hurt, just feeling of pressure.  I needed to head back to work after mine was done.

You also asked about perforations.  Husband experienced discharge from area for a few months.  We read that the colonscopy could result in small tears or nerve damage, so we were fortunate his issue was temporary.

Edited by annandatje
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hyacinth said:

My doctor suggested Cologuard instead of a colonoscopy. Is that unusual?

Check with your insurance.  A friend just told me today that she did cologuard and they found something, so she had to go get an actual colonoscopy.  The problem was, the colonoscopy was no longer coded as preventative, so she had to pay a large copay.  She was told if she had done the colonoscopy as preventative first, it would have all been covered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Frankly, the doc mostly blew me off about the no-sugar thing. I don't need to have a sugar spike and then a crash or I will feel HORRIBLE for a week. I have worked hard to control my Type II diabetes, and don't want to trigger it again. The good news is that by not eating, I'll lose more weight! Right now I don't have an appointment scheduled as I couldn't coordinate with dh's hospital schedule. He's currently backpacking at Philmont, only he had to come off the trail today. I don't know what actually happened--too slow or collapsed? He's in the infirmary, but there's no cell service--hoping to hear more tomorrow. I'm supposed to travel to see ds tomorrow before he heads out with his new AF assignment, but I may be traveling to NM instead. 

Any news on your dh??  I hope he's okay!!

There's no way I could take in loads of sugar either.  I don't have diabetes, but I'm very sensitive to more than small doses at a time of sugar.  I start shaking and feel horrible.  For my final prep I only drank non-sweetened herbal tea.  I would have been really sick if all I had was Gatorade!

• Like 1

I haven't read the other replies and need to leave. I have had 2 or 3 of them. From an "Extra" I saw on FoxNewsChannel, many years ago (Our providers stopped carrying the channel because it is expensive and my wife thinks I was the only person in Colombia watching), the first Colonoscopy is probably the most important one. I believe they remove the vast majority of pre-cancerous things (if there are any) , during the first Colonoscopy. Something like ~ 90 % are removed during the first Colonoscopy?

The preparation begins easy but when I did it I had to drink a huge quantity of liquid (get a flavor you like) and at the end it gets old.

The actual experience: The last one I had my wife went in there with me and before they began, she helped get me into the proper position before she left the room, because I was out before they could get me to move into the proper position.  I do not believe it was Anesthesia, but some kind of a Sedative. It was like immediate...

They do not perforate your Bowel or  anything else unless the person doing it is a total idiot. It should be done by a Board Certified M.D.  I can't remember certified in which specialty as I write this and I need to leave.

The recovery is a little slow.  I seem to remember about 7 days for my stomach and everything to get back to normal?

You will get Color photographs...

As I said at the top, I haven't read the other replies and need to leave but I hope you have had the Colonoscopy. It could save your life.   The wife of a childhood friend didn't want to have a Colonoscopy. By the time she was near death, her M.D. demanded the Colonoscopy be done.   Had she had that examination earlier, possibly she would still be alive.  

Edited by Lanny
remove word "out"
  • Like 1

Ok, it is over. Whew! They said I opened my eyes and talked when they first tried to wake me up, but I have no recollection of that. I only remember waking up in the recovery area.

I had one polyp they removed. She didn't think it was going to be an issue but they will let me know.

When I woke up in the recovery room, she sat me up and told me to get dressed. She said, "Put two feet on the floor." My response, "Well, I only have two feet."

Now that I think back on it, that was a little embarrassing. But it seemed like the proper response at the time. 🤣

And here is what I just ate on the way home:

58697369738__BA675466-AD55-457D-8170-04D52C6A4F3D.thumb.JPG.edab738bda2a57c3a7f3d97148fa5063.JPG

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Lanny said:

I haven't read the other replies and need to leave. I have had 2 or 3 of them. From an "Extra" I saw on FoxNewsChannel, many years ago (Our providers stopped carrying the channel because it is expensive and my wife thinks I was the only person in Colombia watching), the first Colonoscopy is probably the most important one. I believe they remove the vast majority of pre-cancerous things (if there are any) , during the first Colonoscopy. Something like ~ 90 % are removed during the first Colonoscopy?

The preparation begins easy but when I did it I had to drink a huge quantity of liquid (get a flavor you like) and at the end it gets old.

The actual experience: The last one I had my wife went in there with me and before they began, she helped get me into the proper position before she left the room, because I was out before they could get me to move into the proper position.  I do not believe it was Anesthesia, but some kind of a Sedative. It was like immediate...

They do not perforate your Bowel or  anything else unless the person doing it is a total idiot. It should be done by a Board Certified M.D.  I can't remember certified in which specialty as I write this and I need to leave.

The recovery is a little slow.  I seem to remember about 7 days for my stomach and everything to get back to normal?

You will get Color photographs...

As I said at the top, I haven't read the other replies and need to leave but I hope you have had the Colonoscopy. It could save your life.   The wife of a childhood friend didn't want to have a Colonoscopy. By the time she was near death, her M.D. demanded the Colonoscopy be done.   Had she had that examination earlier, possibly she would still be alive.  

Well, part of the paperwork I signed with complications that could be caused by the procedure said "perforated colon" in large bold letters.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811793/. Could be as high as 5% of all colonoscopies!  

• Like 1

I'm glad it went well. I haven't been to the doctor in years (**hangs head in shame**), and I am overdue for updating all of the things. Colonoscopy will definitely be on the list whenever I get myself in to a new doctor. Not looking forward to it!!

I did have one about 15 years ago, and I was so looking forward to having a good lunch afterward. Grandparents were watching the babies, and I thought DH and I would go out to eat. Sadly, I had no appetite for a few days. I think it was probably from the anesthesia; I also had a hard time waking up. I'm glad you were able to indulge in some great food after!!

• Like 1