Menu

Would you give "Heelys" (the roller shoes) for Christmas?

Dd6 really wants these shoes for Christmas. Dh has no problem with them, but I'm just.....well, I don't really know....I just don't like them and I can't even articulate (even to myself) why :confused:.

So I need reassurance that they are "great" and to "go for it", or tell me if they are not and if I should avoid them! :tongue_smilie:

Would love to hear from anyone with experience with them. :D

I looked at heeleys last year, my son was Really really really wanting them. My dh was fine with it adn I was, eh, I don't know. If my reasoning that they are popular and that was why I didn't want him to have the shoes, my dh wanted me to allow them.

So, I went and looked at the shoes.

The shoes have thick heels and to not roll you have to toe-walk. Toe-walking is very bad for your posture, the muscles/tendons/ligaments in your thighs and calves, and is a medically corrected disorder in toddlers and small children.

Not something I think is good to encourage.

HTH,

Kris

Dd6 really wants these shoes for Christmas. Dh has no problem with them, but I'm just.....well, I don't really know....I just don't like them and I can't even articulate (even to myself) why :confused:.

So I need reassurance that they are "great" and to "go for it", or tell me if they are not and if I should avoid them! :tongue_smilie:

My very deep, very convicted, personal opinion is....I hate those things. :D You had to ask, eh?

I know your children would probably know when and where to use them, so don't let my prejudice against them influence you. But I am like you. I don't know exactly *why* I hate them- they just bug the crap out of me. Can a shoe/skate be disrespectful? :001_huh:

Ahhhh. I've got that off my chest. You are the first person I've told that to (outside of my dh).

Gift away if you desire. My kids think they are cool, but I've put them in the category of cool that includes tatoos and piercings.

Jo

Our dd11 has had several pairs of them (second hand) and loves them! :D

I just have to remind her not to roll in the malls because the security guys will growl. (I'm not talking about flying down the rows - she'd never do that, risk hitting someone - I just mean that we have grumpy security guys who will growl at the kids for even the littlest rolling motion. Overkill.) ...

It's funny to watch though - I'll be looking out my window and she'll go running by...then suddenly she's sliding by... just looks weird. :lol:

I know some parents who don't like them - but y'know what? That's a generational thing. Didn't we all have things or wear things or listen to things that our folks weren't keen on? I'm remembering wet bananas, neon colours, and Twisted Sister here... ;)

No. And I'll show you why:

Heelys and Street Gliders Injuries: A New Type of Pediatric Injury

RESULTS. Over a 10-week period, 67 children suffered orthopedic injuries while using Heelys or Street Gliders. There were 56 girls and 11 boys with a mean age of 9.6 years. Upper limbs were the most common location of injury. Distal radius fractures were the most prevalent, followed by supracondylar fractures, elbow dislocations, and hand fractures. The majority of children suffered the injury while heeling or street gliding outdoors. Interestingly, 20% of the injuries happened while trying Heelys or Street Gliders for the first time, and 36% of the injuries occurred while learning (using 1Ă¢â‚¬â€œ5 times) how to use them. None of the children used any sort of protective gear at the time of the injury. The majority of the injured children expressed their intention to continue heeling or street gliding after complete recovery from their injury.

Heely injuries: A new epidemic warranting a government health warning! (kind of an alarmist title, sorry, but it is from "Injury" journal)

Results

Thirty-nine patients are included in this study. The mean age was 9.1 years (range 7Ă¢â‚¬â€œ13, median 9 years). Of the 39 patients referred to the orthopaedic service, 8 required admissions to hospital. One patient admitted following a head injury, required craniotomy and evacuation of an extradural haematoma.

There are more studies, and they all say the same thing: kids with broken arms, wrists, heads... no protective gear. Of course! Why would a kid be wearing protective gear with shoes?

I'm starting to see "No Heelys" signs at store entrances now. The stores don't want the liability.

asta

My 11yo is on her second pair. She loves them, I'm fine with them. Our old pediatrician had a pair. The kids loved it when he'd cme rolling into the exam room. I think 6 may be a tad young for them, but that's your call. My 6yo is not mature enough for them. And yes, they are more dangerous than regular shoes. I let my kids climb trees, ride skateboards, and jump on trampolines- so take my opinion for what it's worth.

No way!!!

A good friend of mine bought a pair for her 9 year old son last year for Christmas. Didn't have them on for 30 minutes when he fell and broke his arm and they spent the rest of Christmas day, and all of Christmas night, in the emergency room getting a cast put on that he had to wear for 6 weeks.

After my 9yo son heard that, and saw his friend's cast, that was the end of his "I want heelys" requests.

No, the kids wearing those are a menace to everyone around them. I've seen kids that I otherwise like turn into rude hazards while rolling around. I don't know why but they seem to alter personalities and make children unconcerned about who they are around and only concerned about how fast and wild they can arrive at their destination. A year or two ago we noticed they were banned everywhere we lived; schools, malls, stores, libraries, teen/children's centers, etc. but did the kids or the parents pay any attention to this-nope. Can shoes be an addictive drug?

I see too many kids wheeling through places that I think are totally inappropriate for use at that time. (through hallways at church, for example) Would kids be allowed to roller skate down those halls? No way. I don't see why it's viewed as okay to use the heelies that way.

Sorry, this really, really bugs me.

No problem with them here but 6 may be too young.

Ds13 has some, 2nd hand. Not something I would spend much money on.

Ds has a BMX bike and goes to the parks, he skate boards, roller blades, whatever- heelies is just another extension of all those things for him and he happens to enjoy them. It doesnt irritate me.

Some kids relaly need to do all that stuff, i think. This kid has poor fine motor skills and yet is good at these things and I like to support him with things he is good at.

My very deep, very convicted, personal opinion is....I hate those things. :D You had to ask, eh?

I know your children would probably know when and where to use them, so don't let my prejudice against them influence you. But I am like you. I don't know exactly *why* I hate them- they just bug the crap out of me. Can a shoe/skate be disrespectful? :001_huh:

Ahhhh. I've got that off my chest. You are the first person I've told that to (outside of my dh).

Gift away if you desire. My kids think they are cool, but I've put them in the category of cool that includes tatoos and piercings.

Jo

:iagree:

I've been plowed down one too many times at Disney World. My exposure experience is limited to kids and parents that do know when it's not a good time for them.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them, but unless you have a place she can use them outside, I wonder how much use she'd get out of them. I've noticed signs everywhere I go that rolling on heelyes is not allowed. It seems like it would be ideal to glide through Target or the Mall, but if you can't do that, I'm not sure how much fun it would be. We live in a rural area though and have no sidewalks.

Lisa

Now "heelys" them selves I don't care much for because you have to do a lot to get the shoe back to regular walking shoes. Now I have bought my children the ones people sell in the middle of the malls at the vendor stations, they have a button on the back of them that you kick with your other foot, push down with your heal and there you go the wheel is tucked back in the shoe and you are off and walking in seconds. My kids love them. My 4yr old has a pair also. He loves them.

Sure, but probably not for a 6 y/o unless they were quite a well-coordinated 6 y/o. And to wear for occasional recreation, not for regular, everyday shoes.

For me, unless cost is an issue, it's not a thing for me to say "no" to, even though I can't understand wishing for them.

I love ice/roller skating so when I found out about these shoes I was intrigued. However, then I started hearing stories about kids unexpectedly falling backwards and getting some nasty head injuries. I believe the manufacturer recommends full safety gear when using them; but I have yet to see a single kid following that recommendation.

My dd expressed interest in them, but I headed it off at the pass and suggested a pair of roller skates instead. That way, when she's skating she's fully prepared to be skating with a helmet, etc. IMO, those shoes are just an accident waiting to happen.

While I understand the argument that it's appropriate to let kids do a certain number of "dangerous" things--and I am in that camp, myself--my problem with these things is that they are a nuisance/danger to other people. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to jump or duck to avoid a kid wheeling along where others are walking.

So, no, I would never buy them for my own child.

I don't allow them here. I have been nearly run over too many times by kids being stupid with them on when I working afterschool care. ALso my rule is no wheels without a helmet, so buying sneakers with wheels wouldn't fit in with my rule, since it is pretty hard to lok cool with your new shoes if you mom makes you wear a helmet all the time lol

Every time I see a kid wearing them in a store, I get this overwhelming urge to shove them over. I HATE those things. Kids have no consideration while wearing them and it's dangerous and rude to allow a kid to "wheelie" in a public place.

Wearing them to "wheelie" on the sidewalk is one thing and that's fine. But I've only seen kids use them in malls or stores.

I see too many kids wheeling through places that I think are totally inappropriate for use at that time. (through hallways at church, for example) Would kids be allowed to roller skate down those halls? No way. I don't see why it's viewed as okay to use the heelies that way.

Sorry, this really, really bugs me.

No, absolutely not.

My own kids really want them, but I have seen heelies create real problems. The shoes are so stiff they do not allow the natural movement of the foot. Kids cannot run well in them. Shoes need to be flexible to allow the foot muscles work the way they were designed to work. It's more important to me that my children's feet grow strong through proper use than that they have fun with heelies.

My 10yo has some. I stood against them for quite a while, until I felt he could safely use them, and then he got them with rules. He is not allowed to wear them in malls or stores or in crowded areas. I just can't stand to see a kid rolling quickly past elderly people and small children in those. I've almost been run over. Those are my main issues. I hadn't thought of the part about walking on toes that someone pointed out. That is a good point. Ds doesn't wear them as much now that the novelty has worn off.

No Heely's for us. Really, no one EXPECTS their kid to fall down and whack their head or break an arm. That's why it's called an accident. My kids wear helmets when on their bikes and scooters. Every.single.time.

Plus those kids rolling around at the store are annoying. My ds3 sees them and asks to bring his bike to the store.:glare:

No, the kids wearing those are a menace to everyone around them. I've seen kids that I otherwise like turn into rude hazards while rolling around. I don't know why but they seem to alter personalities and make children unconcerned about who they are around and only concerned about how fast and wild they can arrive at their destination. A year or two ago we noticed they were banned everywhere we lived; schools, malls, stores, libraries, teen/children's centers, etc. but did the kids or the parents pay any attention to this-nope. Can shoes be an addictive drug?

Yeah, it seems to me that is a parenting issue instead of a problem with the shoes/skates.

I'd give them to dd for Christmas IF we weren't covered in snow by that time. For us it would have to be a Happy Spring gift.

Both of my big guys wore them on and off for about 2 years. Due to irresponsible parents and out of control children, your kids can't use them in almost all places. Pretty much parking lots are about all. They loved them though and we had no accidents and definitely no deformity in the forming of their legs. They always brought along their tool, so if they needed to walk "normal" then they popped the wheels out and off they went. One boy lost a wheel one time and the replacement was inexpensive and easy to get.

We enjoyed them here. :)

Thanks everyone, dd and I just read through all of these replies (she's grumbling as I'm leaning toward "no", but still "thinking about it"). She is extremely coordinated and physically capable, so that's not the issue (although the injury factor still is). I've always supported her "gift" at athletic pursuits, which was apparent at an early age (she won a skateboard competition at age 4, and we live in Alaska! And we don't even skateboard!), so that's why this is so difficult to say no to something that is definitely "her thing". I'm still undecided and still mulling...:glare:....but your input here has helped me a bunch - thanks!

IMO these shoes are skates not shoes and should be treated as such. Helmets worn, only at skate parks or at home, and not for everyday use are a few rules that several friends have for them.

My kids have enough trouble with their ankles and tendons, so I am not about to make that worse with these shoes. They are a safety hazard in other ways, but seriously so are many other things like riding in a car.

Just my 2 cents.

My kids wanted some when they first came out because some kids had them at our co-op and they looked fun. Then the co-op said that you couldn't "ride" them while inside after several crashes resulted in bystander injuries, and this mean mama pointed out that we have no sidewalks in our neighborhood and they're not going to use them in the road -- so where?

I battle chronic ankle problems too despite very painful surgery, so it's just isn't worth it IMHO.

Every time I see a kid wearing them in a store, I get this overwhelming urge to shove them over. I HATE those things. Kids have no consideration while wearing them and it's dangerous and rude to allow a kid to "wheelie" in a public place.

Wearing them to "wheelie" on the sidewalk is one thing and that's fine. But I've only seen kids use them in malls or stores.

Dh and I purchased a pair for dd just before she turned 6. I will admit that she isn't the most physically gifted child and it took her a lot of practice and hanging off of daddy's arm to get the hang of them, but I wouldn't think that 6 is too young.

The shoes have been a big confidence boost for dd and besides, they're lots of fun! Granted, as others have posted, there are not many places that will allow these shoes to be used but I do allow her to wear them when we go to Costco (first thing in the AM when there is rarely anybody else there) and they haven't been an issue there. She knows that she isn't allowed to go fast and that she must stay close to me and be courteous to others at all times. The isles are big enough that she isn't in anybody's way but if the store gets too busy I pop her wheels out. Other than that, she only wears them when we do outdoor activities like going to the playground, walks or (if we drive the distance to go) to the zoo.

We don't let her wear them all the time and she does have a separate pair of running shoes as I do agree that they are far too rigid and don't allow for natural movement of the feet. I guess, in our family, they are like a bicycle or skateboard- used temporarily and only in designated areas. I wouldn't use them as a replacement to a pair of running shoes.

DD didn't even know what they were when we purchased them for her. None of her friends have them so for her they're just fun, not about fitting in and doing what everone else is. Dh and I both think the shoes are great and we were just contemplating buying her a second pair in a bigger size for Christmas.

Edited by plain jane

All 4 of my oldest boys have them. My 13 year old has almost outgrown his men's size 13s, and he's bitterly disappointed that they don't come any bigger.

I am always the last person to embrace fads. My kids don't own any video game systems, only my oldest son has an ipod (with very tight restrictions), and we don't watch television (only dvds).

I do think it's punkish to roll around a public place with heelys or wear ipod headphones. But, my kids do have them. We just use them with tight restrictions. They roll around inside our house. When we go for walks in the neighborhood or to the park, I allow them to use them, too. Indoor public places are a no-no. Also, if anyone is walking near them outdoors, they have to walk instead of roll.

I figure I let them climb trees and wrestle one another without helmets. I'm fully aware that they *might* get hurt with their heelys, but I also know the same could happen with many other activities. For me, it just feels overly protective to prohibit these shoes. My boys have gotten lots of mileage(literally and figuratively) out of their heelys. We love them.

Thanks everyone, dd and I just read through all of these replies (she's grumbling as I'm leaning toward "no", but still "thinking about it"). She is extremely coordinated and physically capable, so that's not the issue (although the injury factor still is). I've always supported her "gift" at athletic pursuits, which was apparent at an early age (she won a skateboard competition at age 4, and we live in Alaska! And we don't even skateboard!), so that's why this is so difficult to say no to something that is definitely "her thing". I'm still undecided and still mulling...:glare:....but your input here has helped me a bunch - thanks!

I think the problem is that unlike a skateboard or roller skates or ice skates these things are worn in and around the public, in stores, malls, etc., where folks do not expect to be dodging kids on wheels. Offer a nice new skateboard or something liek that.;)

Nope, definitely not. My concern is twofold: first, I think it is beyond rude how the children wearing them in stores and public places act. And second, we have a rule here: if there are wheels under your feet, there needs to be a helmet on your head.

Now that I know the orthopedic concerns as well, I am happy to hav another reason to say no.

Wow. I guess I don't understand the hostility towards them. I think it's a case of some kids needing more supervision and rules around them rather than anything inherently wrong with the shoe/toys/sports equipment.

Personally, I feel a more hostile/visceral reaction to kids wandering around stores glued to a hand held game, or a child at a sporting event of a sibling with one, or......

Eh. We all have our issues.

I wouldn't. I don't know anything about the statistics about injuries, but I had a girl in my vbs class a couple of years ago who wore heelies everyday, and she fell several times (she was around 8-9 yrs old, I think). The church we are at now does not allow heelies in the gym (presumably not anywhere else, either, but I wouldn't expect to see them in the sanctuary).

It's a safety issue for me.

Wow. I guess I don't understand the hostility towards them. I think it's a case of some kids needing more supervision and rules around them rather than anything inherently wrong with the shoe/toys/sports equipment.

Personally, I feel a more hostile/visceral reaction to kids wandering around stores glued to a hand held game, or a child at a sporting event of a sibling with one, or......

Eh. We all have our issues.

I agree.

Frankly I am amazed at some of the silly statements posted in this thread. Shoes that have the power to change attitutes and make kids look rude and trashy. Uh, OK.:confused: If you're a rude child, you're a rude child. Footwear cannot possibly make someone be rude and trashy.

Frankly I am amazed at some of the silly statements posted in this thread. Shoes that have the power to change attitutes and make kids look rude and trashy. Uh, OK. If you're a rude child, you're a rude child. Footwear cannot possibly make someone be rude and trashy.

Thank you. I was beginning to feel.........alone. ;)

My youngest had some (he outgrew them). I don't mind them in most settings and have rarely seen any child be rude with them.

As far as physical risk, I am not, um, anxious about the risk I perceive them to be.

Thank you. I was beginning to feel.........alone. ;)

My youngest had some (he outgrew them). I don't mind them in most settings and have rarely seen any child be rude with them.

As far as physical risk, I am not, um, anxious about the risk I perceive them to be.

You're not alone, Joanne.;)

Trashy? I would put mini skirts or possibly Disney character clothing in that category (:D) but sneakers as trashy footwear...not so much. Fem dom boots on a kid? Trashy. But sneakers? Really? :confused:

My oldest DD wanted a pair and got some when she was 8ish. She is totally uncoordinated. She wore them around the house and on the sidewalk like rollerskates, for about 2 days. They sat. Last year my youngest pulled them out and has been zooming around on them- she's the coordinated one. We use them like roller skates here, ie outside on the sidewalk or parking lot. They haven't ever worn them "out" as shoes.

I''m not convinced they are terribly dangerous, just pretty darn expensive for what are essentially difficult to use roller skates.