Menu

Do you shop on black friday?

Do you shop on black friday?  

1. 1. Do you shop on black friday?

• Yes
    • No

There's nothing I want badly enough to go early in the morning and stand online.

I enjoy sleeping in and puttering around my garden on black Friday. Oh, and eating that wonderful turkey sandwich on really fresh white bread with plenty of mayonnaise and a slice of swiss cheese. Mmmmmmmm......:drool5:

Michelle T

I LOVE shopping on black Friday!

On Thanksgiving we get the paper and pour over all of the ads. Then we split up the stores between my mom, 3 of my good girlfriends and myself. Then we give our list for a specific store to the lady going to THAT one. I ALWAYS get the deals because we do it this way. My teenage sister is so fast we send her after the BIG ones... dropping her off at the door while we find a place to park.

I can't wait!!!

My dh and I have done it a few times. It was fun when we had a babysitter and tons of money. I have many Christmas ornaments that were given out as door gifts and I can't even tell you how much chocolate I have received over the years. My brother stood in line for the doors to open at midnight at Walmart once because he got pc computers systems for $400 each. My oldest teen got one, my mom got one, and my brother got one. If you are going to buy a high dollar item or get a huge percentage of (50%) then it is worth it. If the savings is much less then IMHO it is not worth the bother. Unfortunately I have one teen that absoultely loves to do this. She has a shopping problem. :glare:

I love a good deal. So much, that I've considered going out & braving crowds, parking lots, early morning hours.

*Considered.*

I haven't actually done it since I was a child. My blood pressure can't handle it. Really. :tongue_smilie:

I don't do pinatas, either. Even as a child, I'd wait till the crowds parted to see if there was anything left. There never was, lol!

I don't know that I've ever heard the term black Friday so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Wait a minute...as I wrote that, and put two and two together reading the replies, I'm assuming you're talking about the day after Thanksgiving. Is that right?

I don't care for shopping, and typically don't shop at mainstream stores anyway. There are few things I'd be less likely to do than stand in a line to shop ~ at any hour. Ick!

Bwah-ha-ha! Dh sends my dd with me to tell me I look good, on the rare occasion that I shop!

and, no, I don't do Black Friday...whatever I can do online, I do.

Did I mention that Teaching Company in online. :lol:

(I have a LNT gift card that is going to make me get out and spend it before they ocmpletely close...)

I love to shop, but would never get up in the middle of the night to be the first one to the stores! Also, I get pretty spoiled by being able to shop during the week when it's not crowded. I don't even like to go to the stores on Saturdays on a normal weekend.

Besides, we put up Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving.:001_smile:

I have gone most years since married. MIL and her sis were big into it, I tagged along. I never had any money for shopping, but I tagged along for the 'fun' anyway. I really never have even desired the big things that are sought after. There's just some kind of warped thrill out of getting up at an ungodly hour and hanging with my MIL teehee

I guess I have lived vicariously through them, as they are often after the game system deals, stuff like that. I get sucked in.

The chaos does kind of get to me at times though.

So, anywho, I guess my vote is 'yes'

We used to, or rather, I would mark the items I wanted and DH would get up at 3 AM and go get in line to buy them while I stayed home with the children. We haven't done this for at least 4-5 years though. We finally realized that the sale prices usually last for at least a few days after Black Friday so there was no need for DH to get up so early and fight the crowds.

No way! No deal is worth dealing with that. If I want it that bad, than I want it bad enough to pay regular price I guess. That's not to say I don't like finding a deal, but now I'm not into the "thrill of the hunt" type things. Even in my poor college/post college days I'd either do without, or find a good enough deal later on.

Now for a number of years we did go shopping on Christmas EVe. We'd get gift certificates from husband's mother for Christmas. She'd call and say "I mailed your Christmas present!" Us - "Great! Thanks!" Her - "It's a gift card from JC PENNY!" Well there went the surprise factor! So we knew what it was, and we had nothing to do on Christmas Eve, so for a number of years BC (before child) we'd wonder the mall. Sometimes we'd find great deals, but mostly we people watched while wondering. We didn't "need" anything, so weren't on a mission. So it made it enjoyable. I wouldn't want to be there if i HAD to be there though.

Edited by Renthead Mommy

The funny thing is that I'm not normally a big shopper, but I love getting up early and going out shopping on black Friday. Usually I don't stand in huge lines for high ticket items, but I like finding new Christmas decorations for cheap, getting stocking stuffers, enjoying the hustle and bustle of the day. I look at it as the kick-off to the holiday season. I come home and get out the Christmas decorations.

Most of the time, I will look at the ads and make a decision. Last year, I didn't go because there was nothing that excited me in the ads. The year before that I went to Kohls and had a great time shopping their deals. It just depends on my mood and my energy level on any given year whether I think it is worth it or not.

Joy

Typically I don't do crowds and I don't like to stand in line for anything. :) However, it has become a tradition for my Mom, sister and I to head out bright & early on Black Friday. We like to go with our coffee and a plan. The first rule for us is - if you can't do Christmas without the bf item, don't even attempt it. It is more fun if you shop, people watch & tell everyone Merry Christmas instead of stressing over a gift.

I have never experienced mad dashes or extreme rudeness, but I can imagine that could definitely color my view of bf.

For those who are waiting on the ads to make your decisions you can check many of them out now at Gotta Deal Black Friday site.

I really hate shopping so I make an itemized list of where I want to go and exactly what I want from each place. I usually leave the house around 4:30 (for the 5 a.m. openings) and am back home by 8. By then the crowds are so bad I can't stand it. But in those 3 hours I can usually finish all my Christmas shopping and just be done with it. I have learned how to get in and out really fast (skip carts if at all possible for one thing). I usually do 5-8 stores in that time.

I voted no, but I do usually shop Target before Thanksgiving, pre-buy the black Friday stuff I want and mosey to the store in the afternoon for my price adjustment. I was worried the first year that customer service wouldn't go along with my wily plan, but the CS rep told me she does the same thing :D.

The first time was the year the animated Prince of Egypt was coming out. My daughter was still in her Egypt-obsessed phase and was anxiously awaiting the release. Wal-Mart had an exclusive package that included a copy of the soundtrack, a small "limited edition" lithograph, and a coupon for a pair of tickets. It was going to be available beginning on that Friday. So, I got up early and braved it for that. And I promised myself I'd never do it again.

Ha.

A few years later, when we were scraping for holiday money, there were a couple of items we wanted for our son that were advertised as being on sale on That Day. So, I got up at 3:00 or 4:00 and went to stand in line outside of Toys 'R' Us. It wasn't really horrible until I got in line to make my purchases.

That was enough for me. Obviously, I now know better than to say "never," but let's just say that--until and unless I have grandchildren and doing so would be the only way to get them their hearts' desire--I don't intend to do that again.

I said "no" but that's only because I usually don't have any money -- I always end up doing my Christmas shopping at the last minute because, despite the fact that I do own several calendars, it always seems to sneak up on me.

That said, I *did* do all my shopping on Black Friday one year because we were going away for Christmas -- so no Christmas Eve dash for me -- and I just happened to be loaded that day. It was wonderful! There was hardly anyone else out -- at least where I went -- and I just loved getting everything all wrapped and ready and knowing everything was *done!* I also found some fabulous wrap that year that was really shiny with matching shiny bows. I loved looking at those packages for the next month -- everything was so pretty.

I went out at 5 am two years ago to pick up a particular item at Target. Last year I shopped online at Staples and got a good deal on a laptop right before they all sold out. I probably won't go out this year but will check out the online sales again.

For those interested, there's a website that shows the Black Friday ads. You can get a head start on your game plan. :001_smile:

http://bfads.net/

I can't wait :D

I have already been looking online for the ads :D

Usually I go with my sister but she has to work this year so I may be on my own.

I usually go to Kmart on Thanksgiving morning also.

Edited by Kristafish