Menu

Just for fun: what animal represents purity of heart to you?

MercyA

I like to make animal-related Bible verse posters for my Sunday School class. Some verses lend themselves more easily to this type of thing than others. I've done "Behold the lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world," for example. 

The verse I'm planning on using this time is "Blessed are the pure at heart, for they will see God" (Matthew 7:8). What animal (if any) comes to your mind when you think of purity of heart? 

Thanks! ❤️

What my brain first thought...

Dove, but aside from the olive branch story, I have no idea why. LOL

Lamb, biblical stories make this an obvious choice. Then my brain assesses that this reasoning also makes this apply to any newborn animal.

Sloth....well cuz, ya know they are cute, and herbivores :0)

Which then led me to Pandas......I think this could go on all day. haha 

• Like 4

These ideas make me smile!!! 😊

I'm wondering if a photo of an animal and a child together would work well? Here's a few I like, in no particular order:

Girl and a pony: https://pixabay.com/photos/pony-girl-horse-child-animal-2595144/

Girl with goats: https://pixabay.com/photos/goat-kid-animal-goats-cub-3017394/

Girl and a dog: https://pixabay.com/photos/child-dog-pet-dress-girl-1867463/

I'll need to add the verse, of course, but do you all have any favorites out of these? (I love Pixabay! Copyright-free images, whoot!) 

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Hedgehogs or domesticated rats.   No lie, they’re so sweet and gentle.

I totally agree!!! And you weren't the first to mention hedgehogs....

ETA: And, okay, I know I've told this story here about three or four five or six times already, but I'll repeat it for newbies. My friend had a pet rat. The rat loved chocolate above all things. He received a chocolate egg for Easter, ate some of it, and stashed the rest away. The rat was in poor health and my friend took him to the vet, only to be told that he was not long for this world. My friend came home, sat with her rat, and started to cry. The rat went into his cage, took out his prized, half-eaten chocolate egg, and dropped it in front of my friend. True story. ♥️

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, MercyA said:

ETA: And, okay, I know I've told this story here about three or four times already, but I'll repeat it for newbies. My friend had a pet rat. The rat loved chocolate above all things. He received a chocolate egg for Easter, ate some of it, and stashed the rest away. The rat was in poor health and my friend took him to the vet, only to be told that he was not long for this world. My friend came home, sat with her rat, and started to cry. The rat went into his cage, took out his prized, half-eaten chocolate egg, and dropped it in front of my friend. True story. ♥️

I love that story. It always makes me get all teary-eyed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

These ideas make me smile!!! 😊

I'm wondering if a photo of an animal and a child together would work well? Here's a few I like, in no particular order:

Girl and a pony: https://pixabay.com/photos/pony-girl-horse-child-animal-2595144/

Girl with goats: https://pixabay.com/photos/goat-kid-animal-goats-cub-3017394/

Girl and a dog: https://pixabay.com/photos/child-dog-pet-dress-girl-1867463/

I'll need to add the verse, of course, but do you all have any favorites out of these? (I love Pixabay! Copyright-free images, whoot!) 

I like the girl with the goats best

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mergath said:

I'd have to go with elephants.

@Mergath, heck yes. Elephants grieve their dead, are joyful when meeting old friends, rescue their babies (and other species' babies!) from danger, celebrate births, and support injured members of their herd. We should be so pure of heart. 

• Like 2

Top choice: Stellar’s Sea Cow.   (purity of heart seemed to cause extinction for them...I hope they at least got God)

Elephant.  

Dog.  Horse.  

A bird crying for a dead mate (in birds who mate for life) also comes to my mind—but doubt it would for most people who haven’t experienced it.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MercyA said:

ETA: And, okay, I know I've told this story here about three or four five or six times already, but I'll repeat it for newbies. My friend had a pet rat. The rat loved chocolate above all things. He received a chocolate egg for Easter, ate some of it, and stashed the rest away. The rat was in poor health and my friend took him to the vet, only to be told that he was not long for this world. My friend came home, sat with her rat, and started to cry. The rat went into his cage, took out his prized, half-eaten chocolate egg, and dropped it in front of my friend. True story. ♥️

Okay, you may have shared this multiple times, but it's the first I've read it!  Oh my, what a sweet story. I just texted it to dd, who has had many rats through the years.

Edited to add:  As far as the actual point of the thread, most animals strike me as pure of heart.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MercyA said:

That story is both heart-warming and heart-breaking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pen said:

Top choice: Stellar’s Sea Cow.   (purity of heart seemed to cause extinction for them...I hope they at least got God)

Elephant.  

Dog.  Horse.  

A bird crying for a dead mate (in birds who mate for life) also comes to my mind—but doubt it would for most people who haven’t experienced it.  

Yes this was my other thought about the birds.  Wild ducks and even though they seem really strange as an example of purity I believe crows do this as well.

• Like 1