Menu

Quivers Cinnamon Rolls

saraha

Anyone else making these for breakfast? These rolls have been part of our Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve traditions for years now. Since she posted the recipe. That says two things to me, one that the board has tangibly affected my life in many ways, and two, I have been on here a LONG time! Thanks boardies for all you do.

Sarah:wub:

Edited by saraha
spelling
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, moonflower said:

who is quiver? and do you have the recipe?

Quiver was here for some time but has not been here in years. Her cinnamon rolls have achieved celebrity status. I have the recipe somewhere. If I had not made so much other stuff already, I would make them again.

Dough:

1 Tablespoon (T) of yeast

1 cup of warm milk

1/3 cup of sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

1 teaspoon (t) salt

2 eggs

4 cups of flour

Filling:

1 cup melted butter or a little more as needed

1/4 cup ground cinnamon for sprinkling

1 cup of brown sugar

Icing:

1 lb powdered sugar

1/4 cup of milk

3 T butter

Shot of maple syrup (optional)

Heat milk, butter and sugar in saucepan. Do not allow to boil. Set aside and let cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit on milk for 1 minute. Add flour and stir until just combined. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in warm place for one hour or more. Punch down, add salt and roll out to a rectangle on a floured surface. 

Use some of the melted butter to spread out on rectangle.  Sprinkle the ground cinnamon and sugar over the buttered rectangle. Now beginning at the long end, start rolling and press ends together. Keep roll tight. Now cut into "strips" 1-1.5" wide or as desired. Place sliced rolls into baking pan and cover with a towel. Let rise on countertop for about 30 minutes. Remove towel and bake at F 375 for about 13-17 minutes depending on oven. 

Whisk together Icing ingredients and have ready when rolls come out of oven. As soon as rolls come out, generously drizzle icing all over rolls, around edges and top.

Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

Is there cream cheese or not in the icing? I think there’s a conflict between the linked and posted recipe.

The linked one is the original as far as I know. It’s the one I make. Cream cheese and whipping cream in the frosting. The dough is the same but the filling and icing is not. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Stick or spread? 

Thank you. 

whichever I have on hand. The store which has the sticks is farther from me than the one that carries the spread so I tend to use the spread more often in my baking though the sticks are more convenient. As far as product outcome, I've honestly not noticed a difference - but I'm pretty easy to please baker. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

This has become my go to cinnamon roll recipe.  I have only started making them in the last year or so.  I was actually debating earlier on whether or not to make some tomorrow, and I think this thread is my sign to make them 😃

Me too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saraha said:

I was trying to find a link to put here, and I found a thread from 2009 already referencing Quiver's cinnamon rolls. I can't remember when it started, but at least before 2009!

I think '09 was when I started making them. I remember giving them to all of our neighbors our first Christmas in our last house (which we moved into in 2009).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

Quiver was here for some time but has not been here in years. Her cinnamon rolls have achieved celebrity status. I have the recipe somewhere. If I had not made so much other stuff already, I would make them again.

Dough:

1 Tablespoon (T) of yeast

1 cup of warm milk

1/3 cup of sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

1 teaspoon (t) salt

2 eggs

4 cups of flour

Filling:

1 cup melted butter or a little more as needed

1/4 cup ground cinnamon for sprinkling

1 cup of brown sugar

Icing:

1 lb powdered sugar

1/4 cup of milk

3 T butter

Shot of maple syrup (optional)

Heat milk, butter and sugar in saucepan. Do not allow to boil. Set aside and let cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit on milk for 1 minute. Add flour and stir until just combined. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in warm place for one hour or more. Punch down, add salt and roll out to a rectangle on a floured surface. 

Use some of the melted butter to spread out on rectangle.  Sprinkle the ground cinnamon and sugar over the buttered rectangle. Now beginning at the long end, start rolling and press ends together. Keep roll tight. Now cut into "strips" 1-1.5" wide or as desired. Place sliced rolls into baking pan and cover with a towel. Let rise on countertop for about 30 minutes. Remove towel and bake at F 375 for about 13-17 minutes depending on oven. 

Whisk together Icing ingredients and have ready when rolls come out of oven. As soon as rolls come out, generously drizzle icing all over rolls, around edges and top.

Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

Your recipe is different than mine:

"Dough:
1 T. Dry Yeast
1 Cup warm milk
1/3 C. white sugar
1/2 C. melted butter
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
4 C. flour
Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead into a ball. Let rise until double in size. When ready, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with filling.

Filling:
1/4 C. butter, softened
1 C. brown sugar
3 T. cinnamon
Spread butter on dough evenly. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over dough evenly. Roll dough up. Slice roll into 1 inch slices. Place on a greased pan. Let rise again until doubled. bake 10 min. at 400 degrees.

Icing:
1/2 C. butter, softened
1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 oz. cream cheese
2 T. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Beat until fluffy. When rolls are hot, spread lots of icing on them.
To make these the night before needed, skip the final rising step. Let rise overnight in the fridge. In the morning, bake!" This recipe is courtesy of Jean, a cinnamon roll saint! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, klmama said:

I seem to remember some people making them gluten-free.  Advice on best flour blend for that?  How much guar/xanthan gum to add?

These are my favorite gf cinnamon rolls. They are so, so good. You'd never know they weren't the real deal. Definitely watch the video to see how to roll them out easier. 

https://pin.it/pmgjjuyqs2w7lw

Edited by aaplank
Forgot to add link
  • Like 1

Just now, klmama said:

What flour blend do you use?

I use the individual flours called for in the recipe. Her ratio is different than most flour blends. 

Otherwise, I use Vitacost GF Multibend flour which is a mix of brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch

Sassenach, you are right. I just realized that I conflated Quiver's recipe with Ree's (Pioneer Woman). The dough for Quiver's recipe comes out better IMHO but the filling and icing came from Ree's recipe. 

Since someone linked the original one, I copied it to my digital recipe file - so I have an unadulterated copy.  :biggrin:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I made these for the first time this year. I've been making Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls for years but had a horrible burnt milk incident when starting them on Christmas Eve this year. 😡Since it was already 10:30 pm when that happened, I just cleaned everything up and decided to try Quiver's recipe yesterday. I agree with Liz CA that the dough from Quiver's recipe comes out better. We added more cream cheese to the frosting too, I think we did about 4 oz. Two thumbs up from everyone that was here yesterday. 

I'm trying her recipe tonight (to rise overnight) but didn't use my bread machine (because everyone said the dough is super easy). The dough is really sticky and not at all yeast dough-like. Is that the way it is supposed to be before the first rise?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

No you should be able to get good gluten development even with a wetter dough.  I wouldnt say mine is ever super sticky like ciabatta dough though, you may be light on flour too.  It definitely needs plenty of kneading and folding before the first rise though, so you may consider doing a lot more kneading.  It took me about ten minutes of it by hand.

I already added 1/2 cup extra flour plus a bit. Hrm. One of the old threads clearly said it didn't need much kneading and at least one other said it only took them 5 minutes prior to the first rise! I feel lied to! (If I ever do this again, I'm using my bread machine. It never lets me down!) 

ETA: I used enough flour in the roll out that it turned out fine, but I must have fatter inches than the rest of you because it only made 12 rolls. I'll report back in the morning.

Edited by RootAnn
Added update after 1st rise.

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone needs another reason to make rolls, we used Quivers dough recipe but reduced the sugar to a little less than 1/4 cup of sugar. After dough had risen, we smeared them with spaghetti sauce, cheese and pepperoni for PIZZA rolls that everyone at co-op wanted a bite of. My world has expanded folks!

• Like 7

On 1/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, saraha said:

In case anyone needs another reason to make rolls, we used Quivers dough recipe but reduced the sugar to a little less than 1/4 cup of sugar. After dough had risen, we smeared them with spaghetti sauce, cheese and pepperoni for PIZZA rolls that everyone at co-op wanted a bite of. My world has expanded folks!

Trying this for a potluck tonight. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's 2020 and I have a batch of @Quiver0f10 's cinnamon rolls! I had the recipe on the counter and my youngest asked, is it supposed to say quicker cinnamon rolls? Because these are not quick! So I got to tell him about the wonderful lady who shared her recipe and got me making cinnamon rolls. Thanks Quiver for this holiday tradition!

• Like 3

OOooh, thank you for bumping this!  I work six days a week and get up at 4:30 am everyday, so I highly doubt that I'll be able to sleep late tomorrow morning. I totally forgot about cinnamon rolls this year with all the other weirdness that is 2020.  If I'm up early tomorrow,  I'm definitely going to make a batch. 

I should really make a batch one of these days and take them to work to finish and share with my staff.  They would love them!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I’m a novice bread maker—can someone tell me roughly how long these take for all of the rising? So, start to finish if I make them day of?

I gave them about 45 minutes for the first rise, 30 minutes before popping in the oven this morning.  I think they're very forgiving time-wise. 

I bake them at 350 instead of the 400 recommended in the recipe.  It takes a little longer, but I was having trouble with undercooked dough cooking them at 400. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I gave them about 45 minutes for the first rise, 30 minutes before popping in the oven this morning.  I think they're very forgiving time-wise. 

I bake them at 350 instead of the 400 recommended in the recipe.  It takes a little longer, but I was having trouble with undercooked dough cooking them at 400. 

Thanks! So did you do the overnight fridge method? You let them rise 45 min yesterday, then they needed about 30 min out of the fridge this morning before baking?

21 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Thanks! So did you do the overnight fridge method? You let them rise 45 min yesterday, then they needed about 30 min out of the fridge this morning before baking?

I was up stupid early today so I did the whole thing this morning.  The first rise of the ball of dough was 45 minutes, and then once the rolls were filled, shaped and in the pan I let them rise for 30 minutes before popping them in the oven.  They baked for about 30 minutes.   If you do the overnight method, Put them in the fridge after you've shaped the rolls and put them in the pan.  The next morning when you take them out of the fridge, let them sit on the counter for 30 minutes before popping in the oven. 

• Thanks 1