Menu

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of a piano?

PrincessMommy

As much as it pains me to do so, we just don't have the room at our new house and we're about to start the kitchen remodel which will take away a wall.  The kids all played the piano but now it only sits and takes up space.  I use it very occasionally when I'm practicing a choral piece.  It's not an expensive or fancy piano, and we bought it used.   I originally put it on Craigslist for $100, then lowered to $50.  Now I'm giving it away, but still no takers.  I've heard that it is hard to get rid of pianos... I still have a few more weeks before construction starts where the piano is sitting, so I have a bit more time.   The thought of taking it to the dump just kills me though. 

I am debating on the piano thing too.  It was my grandmother's and I do know how to play but honestly only play once in a while.  We move in a few weeks and I need to decide if I sell it at the auction (aka basically free if anyone will take it) or if I pay to move it with us.  

I remember getting a piano when I was 7-8 and it was a huge huge deal and a big sacrifice to afford one.  Now you can't give them away.?

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Maybe advertise on a homeschool facebook page? 

That's a great idea... except I'm not a member of any of those anymore.  I hate to join just to get rid of the piano.  You've reminded me though that I do have a friend who is a homeschooler and a music teacher.  Maybe I'll reach out to her and see if she knows of anyone looking for a piano.  

• Like 1

I gave mine to a friend. Then a few years later a different friend gave us a Clarinova.

If you know any piano teachers or even elementary school teachers I bet you can find someone who would like having a piano. If you attend a church you may also check with the children’s minister (or equivalent) to see if they know someone who might be interested. 

• Like 1

Over the summer, I had to pay $100 to have our upright piano taken away.  ? I offered it for free everywhere.  We ended up buying a digital piano.  At least I won't have to pay money every time I want to move or get rid of it.  I can just pick it up and carry it around.  

• Like 1

Ours is consigned with the store that we originally purchased it from. It's been there two months with no takers. Prior to that I tried Craig's List, homeschool email lists, all of the music teachers I know, and our church. Another store was also interested in consigning it, but his terms weren't very good (monthly fee as long as it wasn't sold plus 50%),

The realtor told me that sometimes people actually pass on the piano with the house when they sell in order to get rid of it. I probably would have done that if I hadn't been able to consign it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I've heard that it is hard to get rid of pianos

I've heard the same thing because we have one we want to get rid of. It's and upright that belonged to dh's grandmother from when she taught lessons in her home in the 1940s. I thought it's age would make it desirable but from what I read condition matters more than age (though obviously there are desirable brands). This one has 2 broken keys and is badly in need of tuning. 

We have to get rid of it when we move because we'll be downsizing. We did offer it to family members but they all either already have a piano or don't want one (or don't want this particular one). 

• Like 1

A free piano is like a free pet-if will end up costing you quite a bit of money in getting it tuned andmaintained. And that’s if it starts out in tune and in good shape, because moving it will require retuning. It’s possible to find a home for one, but not necessarily easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Katy said:

If home school groups don't work, try calling charities in your area that offer free pickup and ask if they'll take it.  Like ReStore, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

Worth a try, but none of those in my area will take a piano either. None of the furniture consignment places, and none of the auction houses I called would take it.

Our local Restore is fairly small and won't take any furniture at all unless they have room, but definitely not a piano.

• Like 1

ugh.  At one point, DH decided that every homeschool family should have a piano. None of us played!  He bought an inexpensive upright used and paid much more to have someone come out to clean and tune it.  It sat unused for years before I insisted it had to go.  We put up a notice on a local homeschool board offering it for free and did get a few interested families.  It was gone within a week.

Maybe try Next Door? We got our free piano from someone advertising it there. 

It has a different feel from Craigslist. For one, there are no weird scandals. For another, they're your closer neighbors, not no-name strangers from who knows where. I think you'd be more likely to run into families that might like a free piano, but weren't actively checking CL for one.

5 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I think some people are wary of getting uprights from strangers because you may not know what the home is like. My MIL offered us her piano but I know there's a roach colony living in there. No way. And with the bed bug "epidemic"...(can they live in wooden structures?)

Bedbugs can absolutely live in wooden structures.   They’re known for living in dressers and picture frames.

11 hours ago, dmmetler said:

A free piano is like a free pet-if will end up costing you quite a bit of money in getting it tuned andmaintained. And that’s if it starts out in tune and in good shape, because moving it will require retuning. It’s possible to find a home for one, but not necessarily easy. 

This.  Most reputable piano teachers will tell you never to take a free piano up unless you hire a technician to go with and look it over.  You can get it home and it may not hold a tuning and may need work.  I think most people do end up paying to take them away.  

In my city there here is a charity called keys 4 kids that will take used pianos and refurbish them.  They’re a non profit and donate some to low income families and schools.  Anyway you could look for something like that.  

We got our first off of Freecycle.  That one lasted about 2 years, then it went on the burn pile.  The one that replaced it came from craigslist for $300.  Even after cleaning and tuning, it wasn't perfect.  It sounded like a honky tonk piano, so a musician friend of Dh took it when we wanted to upgrade after another 4 years.  We replaced it with a refurbished 1978 Yamaha U7 for $4000, which is a gem.  We will never need to replace it, and even the tuner was impressed.

So, it really depends on the quality of the instrument.  You might find a refurbisher to take it if it is worthy, but even an old upright Steinway is not worth it.

Edited by Amy in NH

On 9/2/2018 at 4:00 AM, Suzanne in ABQ said:

I have successfully given two pianos away, both to families of young beginning piano students who had been learning on a cheap keyboard.  I found both families through their piano teachers.  I suggest calling piano teachers who teach beginners, and ask them if they have any students who don't have a "real" piano.  

I already contacted our piano teacher.  He basically told me that it's hard for people to give them away... and he didn't know anyone looking.   I've still got it advertised on FB and Craigslist.  I've gotten three "Is it still Available?" questions and no further contact after I replied "yes".    I'll look into donations too because the idea of taking it to the dump just makes me so sad.

I also keep thinking that I remember when vinyl records were so out of style......