Menu

HGTV.....do you ever wonder what it looks like a year later?

Ottakee

I enjoy HGTV. I see so many of the shows and wonder who wants to clean all of those Nic nacs, plants, fancy light fixtures, etc.

I would love to see what it really looks like 6 month or more after the family with 4 kids moves in.....white everything is not really kid friendly.

I would love to see an HGTV show based on easy to clean and maintain design with budget friendly designs. Like the Din Asslett book How to Make Your House Do the Housework type thing.

• Like 19

I enjoy HGTV. I see so many of the shows and wonder who wants to clean all of those Nic nacs, plants, fancy light fixtures, etc.

I would love to see what it really looks like 6 month or more after the family with 4 kids moves in.....white everything is not really kid friendly.

I would love to see an HGTV show based on easy to clean and maintain design with budget friendly designs. Like the Din Asslett book How to Make Your House Do the Housework type thing.

On House hunters I often wish I could see which couples are still married a few years down the road.

• Like 26

Do you remember there was a decorating show with two Scottish men who were the decorators.  I think they moved to Toronto, but before that they had a show set in the UK.

They had a series where they would redo someone's (usually awful) house, and then come back 6 months or so later to look at it.  It was based on people who were "reccomended" as having decorating issues, kind of like What Not to Wear.

I remember one women who had a giant collection of Troll dolls, and a little dog who weed on the floor.  They got rid of most of the dolls but they did make her a cool Troll wallpaper for the accent wall in her living room.  And there was a rug - they wanted a low, hard-wearing one, but the woman insisted on one that looked like white fur, a ver 70s sort of vibe.

Anyway - when they came back, the dolls (new ones) had largely reappeared.  And the dog weed and crapped on the carpet while they were there.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 6

On House hunters I often wish I could see which couples are still married a few years down the road.

they did that on frontier house?   where they go back to the 1800's prairie.  the only ones still married were the couple who got married on the show.

eta: I went to the show's website - they had a "where are they now?" page.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

There was a British show that I used to watch where a decorator & handyman went to someone's house and updated their decor with stuff they already had - like they made new shelves with scrap wood they found in the shed or painted an accent wall with leftover paint mixed into a new color. 

I loved that show. 

ETA: This one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419338/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Edited by 8circles
  • Like 5

My only curiousity is white kitchens.  (I'll admit that I am an avowed natural wood, horrendously out of date, oak in warm tones person.)  But I always wonder -those spiffy kitchens painted so faddishly white - do they chip, mar, fade?  Do the people ever say, "Oh no.  I had beautiful wood and now I have painted cupboards."  Do they hate them?  Hate the white?

Yup, curious.

• Like 4

they did that on frontier house?   where they go back to the 1800's prairie.  the only ones still married were the couple who got married on the show.

eta: I went to the show's website - they had a "where are they now?" page.

Interesting.   The family with a boy taking care of the animals seemed doomed from the start.   But, the family where the mom was Irish seemed so nice.  

I really enjoyed those shows.  

• Like 1

My only curiousity is white kitchens.

Ours is preinstalled by the developer and is the kind that you see at IKEA kitchen area. Easy to clean with a magic eraser for me while my husband just use bleach and scrub. My friend change her kitchen cabinet doors to all white more than 15 years ago and it still looks good. She and her husband loves to cook too and her kids are 13 and 7 years old.

My paternal and maternal relatives have white living rooms and kitchens, including white sofas for some. Some of my aunts have six kids. My male cousins are really good at housework and painting. We tend to paint whole house white internally to maximize brightness especially in rooms that get less direct sunshine. On rainy days we flood our house with white lights.

My only curiousity is white kitchens.  (I'll admit that I am an avowed natural wood, horrendously out of date, oak in warm tones person.)  But I always wonder -those spiffy kitchens painted so faddishly white - do they chip, mar, fade?  Do the people ever say, "Oh no.  I had beautiful wood and now I have painted cupboards."  Do they hate them?  Hate the white?

Yup, curious.

I can't speak for those on the shows, but I love my white cabinets.   I never regretted painting my cabinets (which I did before it was trendy to do so.)

• Like 3

I would love to find out how many of those families on the Tiny House shows still live in those tiny spaces a year or two later, especially the families who have kids.

I can understand how a tiny house can work for a single person who doesn’t have a lot of stuff and who isn’t home that much, but I can’t imagine it’s all that wonderful for couples and entire families trying to live together in spaces as small as 200 square feet.

• Like 17

Yup, curious.

My experience with white kitchens hasn't been bad - I've found them less annoying than stainless appliances which always seem to get dirty.

I do wonder when people do bright white tile with white grout in bathrooms.  It looks great new but in a year or two I figure the ground will be stained and a PITA to clean.  I always wonder why the designers don't tell them to use a darker grout.

I'm sure some people are upset on the shows where the designers just do whatever they want.

• Like 1

Yup, curious.

I don't have white cupboards, but they are painted a lighter green (parakeet) color.  We did this within the last year.  I dont' regret it, but I can tell you that I learned we spill an unusual amount of coffee on the lower cupboards :lol:.  Between that and the hard floors we installed on the main level and all the visible dirt, I can tell you I've learned we are pigs.  I only thought I kept a clean house before :lol:.

• Like 3

Seriously!Yes!

I have read that a lot of the furniture is staged for the reveal and the families actual furniture comes in later.

I wonder about the built in bunk beds, the desk that has legs cut off and is hung on the wall......the cello's, guitars, maps, plants, whatever, they have hung on the wall that you now have to keep clean and or alive but if you remove it, you have holes.

Lots of things that are shown I would be ticked about.   The one I thought, you really don't get it do you designers.....homeschoolers that they built them a special little building out back, or the table under a big school bell outside.

• Like 1

I love watching HGTV shows, but I do wonder about what happens later. During the big reveal, everything is perfect and pristine, but NONE of the homeowners' personal possessions are in there yet. There is no way that things stay the same.

I wonder especially about all of those open plans where the kitchen is visible from the front door. Sure, it looks pretty when staged for the cameras. But how would anyone keep their kitchen constantly clean and still manage to feed their family three times a day?  That would drive me nuts.

• Like 2

My only curiousity is white kitchens. (I'll admit that I am an avowed natural wood, horrendously out of date, oak in warm tones person.) But I always wonder -those spiffy kitchens painted so faddishly white - do they chip, mar, fade? Do the people ever say, "Oh no. I had beautiful wood and now I have painted cupboards." Do they hate them? Hate the white?

Yup, curious.

We had a wood paneled kitchen. I painted it white about 6 years ago. I am happy every.single.day about it. I wish I had painted the cabinets at the same time. It's on my list for this summer.

• Like 2

I would love to find out how many of those families on the Tiny House shows still live in those tiny spaces a year or two later, especially the families who have kids.

I can understand how a tiny house can work for a single person who doesn’t have a lot of stuff and who isn’t home that much, but I can’t imagine it’s all that wonderful for couples and entire families trying to live together in spaces as small as 200 square feet.

Yep.  This is another one I would like to see after a year or two.

• Like 4

We had a wood paneled kitchen. I painted it white about 6 years ago. I am happy every.single.day about it. I wish I had painted the cabinets at the same time. It's on my list for this summer.

Yep. Our house is totally panelled. I have painted every wall and all the wood, cabinets, etc is white. I haven't had any problem keeping it clean these last 17 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do you remember there was a decorating show with two Scottish men who were the decorators.  I think they moved to Toronto, but before that they had a show set in the UK.

They had a series where they would redo someone's (usually awful) house, and then come back 6 months or so later to look at it.  It was based on people who were "reccomended" as having decorating issues, kind of like What Not to Wear.

I remember one women who had a giant collection of Troll dolls, and a little dog who weed on the floor.  They got rid of most of the dolls but they did make her a cool Troll wallpaper for the accent wall in her living room.  And there was a rug - they wanted a low, hard-wearing one, but the woman insisted on one that looked like white fur, a ver 70s sort of vibe.

Anyway - when they came back, the dolls (new ones) had largely reappeared.  And the dog weed and crapped on the carpet while they were there.

I REALLY want to see this show! Can you imagine? The thick Scottish accents, tossing out Troll dolls, dogs that wee on camera. Was it broadcast on Comedy network by any chance?  Please share the name of the show, if you remember it. I must do some searching on youtube.  :lol:

• Like 3

I wonder especially about all of those open plans where the kitchen is visible from the front door. Sure, it looks pretty when staged for the cameras. But how would anyone keep their kitchen constantly clean and still manage to feed their family three times a day?  That would drive me nuts.

We did a reno to open up our main level, and the kitchen is pretty visible - in all it's glory and mess. There are enough messy distractions before one reaches the kitchen mess, so it's no big deal. And I love my kitchen so much, I wouldn't care anyway. ;)

My only curiousity is white kitchens. (I'll admit that I am an avowed natural wood, horrendously out of date, oak in warm tones person.) But I always wonder -those spiffy kitchens painted so faddishly white - do they chip, mar, fade? Do the people ever say, "Oh no. I had beautiful wood and now I have painted cupboards." Do they hate them? Hate the white?

Yup, curious.

We had a 1960’s house that had been a rental. Before we bought it the owner painted all the cabinets white and put on new hardware. It was so pretty but oh my goodness those cabinets always looked filthy. I scrubbed, used magic eraser, etc and they never looked clean. They had used a flat paint and I think that’s part of why it was so hard to clean. It also had a white tile backsplash, I could keep the tile itself clean but the grout was a nightmare. My husband and I have both sworn off ever having a white kitchen again.

I REALLY want to see this show! Can you imagine? The thick Scottish accents, tossing out Troll dolls, dogs that wee on camera. Was it broadcast on Comedy network by any chance?  Please share the name of the show, if you remember it. I must do some searching on youtube.  :lol:

Ok, so I've done a little research and the guys are Colin and Justin, and the series was called How Not to Decorate.  That episode, if I am remembering correctly, took place in a old row house on a very narrow street.  There is a book version too.

(And for HGTV watchers they have a show called Home Heist that they filmed for HGTV.)

• Like 3

My experience with white kitchens hasn't been bad - I've found them less annoying than stainless appliances which always seem to get dirty.

I do wonder when people do bright white tile with white grout in bathrooms.  It looks great new but in a year or two I figure the ground will be stained and a PITA to clean.  I always wonder why the designers don't tell them to use a darker grout.

I'm sure some people are upset on the shows where the designers just do whatever they want.

our previous house had white tile on white grout installed by the previous owners in every bathroom.  I hated it.  The grout gets gross and the white tile shows any dust, hair, dirt, etc.  Impossible to keep clean looking.   Dust on the tiles that framed our soaking tub was especially annoying to clean.  I couldn't vacuum there, but wiping it made it just go in the grout.  Ugh.  

There is a tile grout whitener that I used just before putting it on the market, but it took a lot of work.  It certainly wasn't something I would do on a regular basis.

• Like 1

I used to watch that show with the 2 British ladies who would come in a filthy home and clean it up. Wish I could remember the name. 1 of the ladies really freaked me out because she'd do all kinds of crazy things, like swipe her bare finger under their toilet bowl rim to show how nasty it was. EEK!!!! I always wondered if they kept their houses clean post show or not too.

• Like 1

I used to watch that show with the 2 British ladies who would come in a filthy home and clean it up. Wish I could remember the name. 1 of the ladies really freaked me out because she'd do all kinds of crazy things, like swipe her bare finger under their toilet bowl rim to show how nasty it was. EEK!!!! I always wondered if they kept their houses clean post show or not too.

How Clean is Your House? 

Do you remember her rubber gloves with the fluffy fringe around the outside? Miss that show...

Edited by readinmom
  • Like 3

I put in white kitchen cabinets when I got married in the mid-80's, so I just can't think of them as trendy. When I see painted wood cabinets, I'm always glad they aren't in my kitchen. We put in light oak kitchen cabinets that match our woodwork and dining room table. They are warm and homey and I love them!

I always want to see the houses were someone like Peter Walsh went in and helped them declutter and clean. Do they stay that way or do people just bring in more junk over a year or two?

We are n the market for our next home so I’ve been watching a lot of HGTV and looking at listings. Ugh. I’m not a fan of farmhouse anything but if I see one more house with 80s Laura Ashley florals and honey oak cabinets I may cry. My favorite show is design on a dime. I know the cheaper pieces are probably less comfy and well-made but the budgets are doable for us.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

We are n the market for our next home so I’ve been watching a lot of HGTV and looking at listings. Ugh. I’m not a fan of farmhouse anything but if I see one more house with 80s Laura Ashley florals and honey oak cabinets I may cry.

I actually like the honey oak cabinets. Good thing as that is the theme in the entire house.

I put in white kitchen cabinets when I got married in the mid-80's, so I just can't think of them as trendy. When I see painted wood cabinets, I'm always glad they aren't in my kitchen. We put in light oak kitchen cabinets that match our woodwork and dining room table. They are warm and homey and I love them!

I always want to see the houses were someone like Peter Walsh went in and helped them declutter and clean. Do they stay that way or do people just bring in more junk over a year or two?

I doubt it.

dh and his siblings would declutter their mother's house.  she'd just refill it.   she now lives with a sister.  they made it all neat and tidy - she'd refill it.   she had her hip replaced, but refused to do the physical therapy, so she's in a wheelchair.   then she decided she was too ill to do anything.  (rx problem.)  they made it neat and tiday - and she got mad.   they told her when she felt well enough to put it back the way she liked it (chaos -but room for her wheelchair), it motivated her to get up and get moving.

I've helped at least one of his sisters dejunk.  she had someone else at the same time, used those "got junk" services, and hauled off a *container*.   it's back to being a pig stye.

because it a mentality that has the influence over whether someone will keep it clean or not.

one of the restaurant shows - the chef went in, overhauled the (losing money) restaurant, the menu and the decor.   the employees loved it - the owner hated it.  went back in a year, it was all back to how it was before - and losing money.

Don’t watch hgtv if you are in the market for a house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are both buying and selling.

At one point during our search, I told our realtor that most sellers watched too much HGTV.    New builds and newly renovated homes all had gray walls, white trim, painted cabinets, granite countertops, and stainless appliances.  Flooring material varied, but hard flooring was always dark and carpeting white or light gray.  Dh and I referred to them as the one with the family-sized shower, the one with the unaccessible backyard, the one where the neighbor's dog barked at us, ... because there was nothing else to distinguish them.

We decided to buy an older home that needs some work.  When we walked into the house it felt like a home and not a hotel lobby.   HGTV designers would say some walls need to come down, but I like separation between me and the video games.  

The house we are selling lacks the latest finishes.  When we built, we put our money into location and structural elements. We had planned to live in this house for many more years and to make cosmetic changes later.  Our agent advised us not redo the house prior to putting it on the market.  I hope she is correct.  

• Like 5

I do wonder when people do bright white tile with white grout in bathrooms. It looks great new but in a year or two I figure the ground will be stained and a PITA to clean. I always wonder why the designers don't tell them to use a darker grout.

I do wish someone had told me about the grout when we redid out bathroom. Not going to lie. I tell myself the grout is really gray and move on with my life.

• Like 2

At one point during our search, I told our realtor that most sellers watched too much HGTV. New builds and newly renovated homes all had gray walls, white trim, painted cabinets, granite countertops, and stainless appliances. Flooring material varied, but hard flooring was always dark and carpeting white or light gray. Dh and I referred to them as the one with the family-sized shower, the one with the unaccessible backyard, the one where the neighbor's dog barked at us, ... because there was nothing else to distinguish them.

We decided to buy an older home that needs some work. When we walked into the house it felt like a home and not a hotel lobby. HGTV designers would say some walls need to come down, but I like separation between me and the video games.

The house we are selling lacks the latest finishes. When we built, we put our money into location and structural elements. We had planned to live in this house for many more years and to make cosmetic changes later. Our agent advised us not redo the house prior to putting it on the market. I hope she is correct.

IMHO, your agent is correct. Gray walls and white everything are right up there with the honey oak for me. It’s all so sterile and generic. We are looking for good structural integrity and systems upgrades and a decent layout with finishes that we can personalize/update. It’s a tough slog, much harder than I imagined. Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I always secretly wonder how couples feel about homes they didn't have much control over with design. Sure, maybe they asked to be on the show and they set the budget, but after that, I don't know. I know I don't think I could have someone have that much control. Like, seriously, no, I don't want to "upgrade" to those wrought iron banisters, Joanna. All I imagine is someone face planting in it.

With her show, I've wondered how the houses look once her stuff is taken out and the homeowner's furniture is put in. I can't imaging oohing and awing over something I know I can't keep during the reveal.

• Like 3

I do wish someone had told me about the grout when we redid out bathroom. Not going to lie. I tell myself the grout is really gray and move on with my life.

Have you been resealing your grout?  Dh sealed the grout in our bathrooms when we moved in.  We thought it was a once and done thing.  We later learned that we were supposed to reseal the grout annually, especially in showers.   

At one point during our search, I told our realtor that most sellers watched too much HGTV.    New builds and newly renovated homes all had gray walls, white trim, painted cabinets, granite countertops, and stainless appliances.  Flooring material varied, but hard flooring was always dark and carpeting white or light gray.  Dh and I referred to them as the one with the family-sized shower, the one with the unaccessible backyard, the one where the neighbor's dog barked at us, ... because there was nothing else to distinguish them.

We decided to buy an older home that needs some work.  When we walked into the house it felt like a home and not a hotel lobby.   HGTV designers would say some walls need to come down, but I like separation between me and the video games.  

The house we are selling lacks the latest finishes.  When we built, we put our money into location and structural elements. We had planned to live in this house for many more years and to make cosmetic changes later.  Our agent advised us not redo the house prior to putting it on the market.  I hope she is correct.  

I found it interesting last time I was house hunting, because there are some greys I like - my living room is a Farrow nd Ball are that I really love.  And I don't mind painted woodwork.  But once you have all those trendy elements together it really just seems to such the life out of it - I'm not sure it's all the cool colours and hard surfaces, or just the there seems to be like a house that was decorated by someone with zero personality.  I think at least partly the former because the houses with an older wood floor in a lighter, warmer colour are actually much easier on the eye than the ones with the dark floors.  In the others I felt like telling them to throw down an oriental rug and put up a few pictures.

• Like 2

Have you been resealing your grout? Dh sealed the grout in our bathrooms when we moved in. We thought it was a once and done thing. We later learned that we were supposed to reseal the grout annually, especially in showers.

This is also good to know. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

I hadn't given it much thought. Yeah, I  mean, if you can't use the couch then what do you do? Sell it on CL? That would be a pain if you had to swap out a bunch of furniture. Would you have to wait to move in? lol

I don't think the owner gets to keep it.  It goes back to the warehouse I expect.

• Like 1

Anyone who likes open concept floorplans has never had six boys.

Just sayin'.

Truth.

Our last house was a mess.  Open floor plan with three bedrooms leading off.  I hated it.  There was no doing anything after the kids went to bed because they could hear every noise in living areas.

Dh and I have made a list of deal breakers:

-open floor plan

-cathedral/vaulted ceiling

-poor storage (I don't need a super deep pantry.  I NEED a hall closet and a medium pantry)

Everything else I can live with.  This house I adore and I just know the people on HGTV would want to knock down walls, give me "more storage" in the kitchen, and take away the lovely, reasonable ceilings to open up to exposed beams or some nonsense.

• Like 3